NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

Today is the 1st sign that warm weather in America is in near future. Today's is the 2011 Daytona 500 (Granddday of stock racing events in US)and NASCAR showcase event of the year. Anyone watching?

Not to get too off topic. This is why I disllike the TV industry. They only put on showcase events i.e super bowl, Daytona, most of the NBA/NHL Playoffs and in recent years the last few games of the world series in 'ratings sweeps' months of Feb., May and November.

In maybe the biggest upset in Daytona's history, an unknown rookie shocks the sports world. 20-year Trevor Bayne has won the so called 'Great American race' and youngest winner in the pretigious race's history.:eek:

Maybe someone like B35 or our auto sports fans can comment as I admit i don't follow NASCAR that much.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In maybe the biggest upset in Daytona's history, an unknown rookie shocks the sports world. 20-year Trevor Bayne has won the so called 'Great American race' and youngest winner in the pretigious race's history.:eek:

Maybe someone like B35 or our auto sports fans can comment as I admit i don't follow NASCAR that much.

I don't know why, but I prefer Formula 1. There is nothing like getting up in the morning, turning on the telly and seeing the Spaniard Alonso going at it w/Hamilton on the streets of Monaco to see who will win the Grand Prix... :cool:

I also like to watch MotoGP. It's very popular back in Europe, but it's harder to catch here in the States though unless you wake up early in the morning.

I don't know why, but I prefer Formula 1. There is nothing like getting up in the morning, turning on the telly and seeing the Spaniard Alonso going at it w/Hamilton on the streets of Monaco to see who will win the Grand Prix... :cool:

I also like to watch MotoGP. It's very popular back in Europe, but it's harder to catch here in the States though unless you wake up early in the morning.

Not sure buddy if you have it but 'speed' channel on digital cable/salelite i think often shows "F1" races year round.

I also wondered how "F1' never that popular in the US myself. Outside of the US, only maybe Canada, Japan and Australia is where most international NASCAR fans are located.

Not sure buddy if you have it but 'speed' channel on digital cable/salelite i think often shows "F1" races year round.

I also wondered how "F1' never that popular in the US myself. Outside of the US, only maybe Canada, Japan and Australia is where most international NASCAR fans are located.

I have gotten up early and watched a few races on that channel. The last I recall was the one in Monaco, which was a while back... :cool:

A fellow F1 fan. Good to know.

Too bad they don't televise it like they used to, back in the early-mid 90's....

NASCAR to me, is very gimmicky... that's the best way I can put it...

I'll watch it if I'm channel surfing & there's nothin else on... however, I can't follow it race-by-race.... If I can give an analogy, it's like comparing the WWE to the MMA....

Biggest difference to me b/w watching the two, are the passes (the overtaking) skills of F1 drivers.... to me, it's a work of art to see open wheel drivers overtake another driver.... whereas, the trading paint part of NASCAR I don't like; the fact that it's generally ok to pass someone while scraping the side of the car, or using "bump" drafting techniques in order to slingshot pass another driver.... this is often how multi-car pileups/crashes happen in NASCAR.... and that's another thing, all these wasted laps under caution, slowing down the momentum of the race....

ehh, F1 >>>> NASCAR all day, if you ask me....

Carmelo is a Knick.

Wow! All I can say is the Knicks better hope the gamble they took works because they gave up alot! Watching it on ESPN now.....

I cant believe they gave up FELTON!!!!!

I knew this trade was going to happen, But to give up: Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov.

A fellow F1 fan. Good to know.

Too bad they don't televise it like they used to, back in the early-mid 90's....

NASCAR to me, is very gimmicky... that's the best way I can put it...

I'll watch it if I'm channel surfing & there's nothin else on... however, I can't follow it race-by-race.... If I can give an analogy, it's like comparing the WWE to the MMA....

Biggest difference to me b/w watching the two, are the passes (the overtaking) skills of F1 drivers.... to me, it's a work of art to see open wheel drivers overtake another driver.... whereas, the trading paint part of NASCAR I don't like; the fact that it's generally ok to pass someone while scraping the side of the car, or using "bump" drafting techniques in order to slingshot pass another driver.... this is often how multi-car pileups/crashes happen in NASCAR.... and that's another thing, all these wasted laps under caution, slowing down the momentum of the race....

ehh, F1 >>>> NASCAR all day, if you ask me....

Yeah I just find the whole track thing w/NASCAR sort of boring, as well as the announcers. Watching F1 here the announcers are usually Brits and you know how snide and cynical they can be which makes the whole rather funny.

Another thing I used to watch a lot of back in Europe was rugby... Here it's very hard to catch it. The French and the Scots are quite good.

I've been watching TopGear for quite a while now, and the only thing I have yet to come to understand is how the heck F1 championships work. I get the drivers championship, but what the heck is the point of the constructors championship?

Last year, Vettal got a second trophy because Webber was third in the standings. 48 out of 58 times the drivers champion has been on a constructors champion, so what the heck is the point of constructors.

And don't even get me started on the two Lotus teams. Or what they did when USF1 fell apart.

Both drivers driving for a particular constructor (team) pretty much have to be on top of their game, for that constructor to win the championship... one small problem I had w/ F1 is that, you did see the same driver winning like 5-6 races in a row, and/or like 11 of 16 (or however many circuits there are in a season now) b/c they were with the (let's face it) the dominant constructor....

It's rare in F1 to see a driver for a certain team wins the driver's championship, but that same driver's teammate perform so bad, to the point where the team (constructor) didn't win the championship....

say you had team a, b, & c....

(I'm just making up numbers here)

team a has driver 1 with 50 points & driver 2 with 35 points

team b has driver 3 with 37 points & driver 4 with 41 points

team c has driver 5 with 60 points & driver 6 with 20 points

In this scenario, "team c" would have the driver who would win the driver's championship.... but "team a" would actually win the constructor's championship....

It's a way to make constructors feel the same worth that the driver feels when either ends up winning a trophy....

- team c can be like "Well my driver won the Championship..."

- team a can then be like, "Yeah, but we're the better team..."

Both drivers driving for a particular constructor (team) pretty much have to be on top of their game, for that constructor to win the championship... one small problem I had w/ F1 is that, you did see the same driver winning like 5-6 races in a row, and/or like 11 of 16 (or however many circuits there are in a season now) b/c they were with the (let's face it) the dominant constructor....

It's rare in F1 to see a driver for a certain team wins the driver's championship, but that same driver's teammate perform so bad, to the point where the team (constructor) didn't win the championship....

say you had team a, b, & c....

(I'm just making up numbers here)

team a has driver 1 with 50 points & driver 2 with 35 points

team b has driver 3 with 37 points & driver 4 with 41 points

team c has driver 5 with 60 points & driver 6 with 20 points

In this scenario, "team c" would have the driver who would win the driver's championship.... but "team a" would actually win the constructor's championship....

It's a way to make constructors feel the same worth that the driver feels when either ends up winning a trophy....

- team c can be like "Well my driver won the Championship..."

- team a can then be like, "Yeah, but we're the better team..."

It's also another reason why drivers will switch to drive for another constructor like Alonso did when he signed w/Ferrari and Räikkönen left out of his contract w/Ferrari early and now you have Alonso and Massa as the two top dogs for Ferrari now that Schumacher retired.

TopGear is the best... :cool: Without it BBC would be quite boring...

Wow! All I can say is the Knicks better hope the gamble they took works because they gave up alot! Watching it on ESPN now.....

I cant believe they gave up FELTON!!!!!

I knew this trade was going to happen, But to give up: Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov.

All I can say is. At least this 'soap opera' is over. This looks like a Charles Dolan move all over. Walsh did not want to give up Felton and thus reason the deal took 2-3 months.

If the soon to be Brooklyn Nets was not also a serious player, Dolan does not get active.

Dolan IMO seems more intrestred in getting the Knicks a playoff spot and his other businesses than winning a NBA title.

Not to be cynical, but the only reasons to watch Nascar are for the commercials and crashes, really.

-----------

Even though the Knicks lost basically all their starters, a lineup of Billups/Fields/Melo/Amare/Turiaf(?) isn't too shabby. If they could only get a legitimate center, then they challenge the Bulls and the Cs and the rest of the elite. They're contenders, not champions just yet.

Schumacher pulled a Bret Farver last year, he drives for Mercedes.

If I were Ferrari, I'd want that FXX back.

Sh*t!! I used to watch his races when I was living back in Italy. "Schumi" as we called him in Italy was like a German God of sorts. Sunday he'd win a race and I'd be sitting there in my flat watching him and such and the "analysis" of what he did would last until Monday night... :P

not a contender yet but i do see a 1st round upset if they can get into the 4 or 5 spot

In a very weak east unless they named Orlando, the Celtics or "superteam' woops i mean the Heat, Knicks winning in the 1st round would not be an 'upset.'

Also 553 or other NBA fans some news. The Lakers a few days ago are about to do a Yankees and creating their own "YES" type regional sports network in Southern Calif. The Lakers will *co-own* this new channel with Time Warner(Also owners of TNT/TBS and the Mets "SNY")starting the following NBA season in Sept. 2012.

LA had been with Fox Sports LA/Prime Ticket for many many years.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Lakers-Time-Warner-116195929.html

I'm so happy about the Knicks getting melo!!!! Its been long 10 years or so they have been in the gutter, last time they was an winning team was when Spreewell, Allen Houston, Ewing was on the team! This is awesome, we can beat the Heat in the postseason, as that dude from the Jets said in the post game interview after beating NE, CAN'T WAIT! I'm so happy about this!

It seems like it's been 2 years since the Clippers played a home game.

There on a 11-Game Road Trip. They played 7 away before the all-star break and due to the Grammy. They have 3 road games left before they go back home and then the Lakers will be on another road trip so the Clippers can get some home games in.

Great news! Nice way to bounce back by not getting melo, the sports message boards have exploded since the news broke out, threads with 100+ replies that started @ 12PM TODAY! You'd think MJ was coming back into the league or something lol. Next season is gonna great be here in NYC with the Nets coming to BK & having Deron Williams and the Knicks having Melo/Stat and the whole aura of an pro sports team coming back to BK...

Archived