Newly Added Timers at Broadway Junction

TrainFanatic

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious, how can you tell how fast the train is going? Or are you just estimating about?

Yea what Leroy said with an R-32 you can peek at the speedometer and with an R-46 I ride em pretty much everyday and some T/O' leave the cab door open with the shoe(not their shoe on their feet) and sometimes there isn't any paper in the view.And I'm not really estimating when I say about "41-43mph" I'm referring to a low and high.

R-46's usually come in about 42-44mph with an R-32 this guy hit 47mph so I would say about 41 or 40 to 47-48mph.

I hate the new timers on the A line at Broadway junction it a GT 20 but you have to go slower for it to clear. Since I came back to the A line they added 7 new timers to the line and the R 46's got no speed. My train is always 5 minutes late every trip. Many times I had the E beat my train from canal to 42 st. The A use to be fun but it's getting to be a pain now. They do plan to add more timers to the line in the future.

I hate the new timers on the A line at Broadway junction it a GT 20 but you have to go slower for it to clear. Since I came back to the A line they added 7 new timers to the line and the R 46's got no speed. My train is always 5 minutes late every trip. Many times I had the E beat my train from canal to 42 st. The A use to be fun but it's getting to be a pain now. They do plan to add more timers to the line in the future.

Do you run that timer near Franklin Av in Brooklyn Queens bound? That's the best part b\c you can come in that station about 43-45mph if ya don't brake.Other than that Nostrand in both directions is FAST.

Yeah it get a rush coming in Nostrand but with a R 46 you can only hit the station at 41 mph while a R 32 around 45 or more. He'll the R 44 was about 43 mph

I still vividly remember the day when a m/m flew into Nostrand at 46 mph on a 32. He didn't brake until he actually came into the station. He made a nice clean stop right on the marker.

As for an R46, gotta love that roaring sound it makes when passing Franklin at full speed before Nostrand. :tup: :cool:

The goal for the new A/C line manager is to put timers on curves and any station that is fast so stay tune.

That blows. How do you deal with the (A)?

The (A) has one of the greatest express runs in the system on the IND Fulton, and to just kill it with timers is a major blow. However, alot of stations seem to be a "fast" station along the IND Fulton.

Yep thats how to come in Nostrand Queens bound wrapped from Hoyt to at the tip of the station & Nostrand full service her but not all of that is needed so maybe a 50 foot coast.But usually R-46's come in about 42 if they run the signal,R-44's used to come in about 43-44mph,R-32(10car) about 44-46 and R-32(8) car did about 48***If the T/O ran it*** I'm unsure about what the Slants/Mod,42's & 38's did but thats the fast class.

If they keep adding more of these timers in unnecessary locations, the trains are going to start to get REAL slow. And at that point, I think that a lot of people will start to say "F**k it", and will begin searching for other, more reliable transportation alternatives (and I will probably be one of those people). You all know that less "customers" means less revenue for the MTA, so these timers can very well turn around to bite the (MTA) in the ass.

This is one of the reasons I oppose congestion pricing

They probably won't. I'm just surprised there isn't one for the downtown express yet.

Knowing the TA, they're probably proposing it, lol.

All the fun of riding the subway's getting taken out bit by bit, it's sad really. In the 90s, a time I can actually speak about from experience, the subway may have been in a worse off condition, but it hauled ass.

I wouldn't be suprised if timers were added to 14th St going Northbound. The (C) and (E) often swing into there pretty fast, and I've been on a couple of (C) trains that actually missed the 8 car marker; it's a good thing there's a nice amount of space between the 8 car marker and the 10 car marker.

A little off-topic, but some other places have had timers added sometime in the past. Going Uptown on the (4) and (5) into Bowling Green, taking that long right turn, there are now a couple of timers. I know they weren't always there. On the (2) and (3) going uptown into Times Square, I think there are also added timers, becuase trains typically slow down right around there.

The other day I had this T/O on the (A) and between the stretch of Nostrand to Utica Queens bound he didn't even brake or coast until he hit Utica station I know there's timers just before Utica but he was going about 37 and went full service hitting Utica at 39mph 99% of the time T/O's coast that part or brake to slow down but the cab was cracked with the shoe(not his shoe on his foot) & also the cab had a clear RFW so I was amazed.And trust me I ride the (A) everyday to school and I get different T/O's I guess that interval is the "extra".But yea he ran those didn't hesistate to coast or brake.

Archived