Newly Added Timers at Broadway Junction

TrainFanatic

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats right folks. draw the TA's attention to other places that they could potentially slug up....smart B)

I know right.

On topic, we know once a timer is installed it is here to stay. The Manhattan IND sections in particular have really been neutered in recent times including:

- B, D entering West 4 St on the northbound express track.

- A, C entering Broadway/Nassau southbound.

- The southbound express on CPW. I can see why the timers are there south of 72 St and even though the 81 St timer has been there for some time, the track is virtually straight.

- Entering Canal St on all tracks. Those timers aren't really necessary, especially northbound.

Maybe they'll lift most of the restrictions for CBTC. The main reason I think the timers are installed is to limit the potential for human mistakes (though I think the timers are a big mistake themselves).

They do, there are spots on the (L) that were VERY slow before CBTC went in and now the train goes a hell of alot faster. There was one location which I can't recall at the moment, where trains were timed to only do 10MPH. Now that same spot, a train in ATP/ATO goes through there at 20 or so MPH.

They do, there are spots on the (L) that were VERY slow before CBTC went in and now the train goes a hell of alot faster. There was one location which I can't recall at the moment, where trains were timed to only do 10MPH. Now that same spot, a train in ATP/ATO goes through there at 20 or so MPH.

Between Graham and Grand?

They have a timer coming into Church Avenue southbound on the (2) and (5). It's been there for ages. I'd always get annoyed when I was a kid why the train would come into the station so slow.

I actually asked about that when it was installed. I was working on the work train that did the wiring for that project and was told that it was installed to protect the interlocking plant ( switches) at the south end of Church Avenue. I pointed out that if the switch was set to normal for traffic to continue straight to Flatbush that the timer shouldn't be activated at all. The way we were taught that timer should only be activated when the switch was set against the normal flow of traffic. They, the contractors, said that the TA engineer okayed it that way and that they wouldn't modify it. I also asked the last trainmaster in the IRT AND my main TA rabbi about this and they agreed with me, but by then a new regime had taken over in RTO and they were powerless to make that change. A lot of oldtimers will say that the trainmaster was the most knowledgeable person they ever met in transit but he was ignored because he wasn't part of the clique. He refused to give up his Civil Service title of Trainmaster to become what's now known as superintendant. Politics rules down there in the (MTA), not knowledge, and it shows in the field.

when I think about ''Timer City'',I think about the (J) line

Depends what part of the line you are riding though...other than that the line moves pretty fast for a local (when skip-stop/express isn't running).

Speaking of timers. The norththbound on the 2/5 approaching simpson st I think is unnessacery.

I personally think a timer should be put in on the southbound (5) expresstrack at West farms a little after the sharp curve to keep the train at 10mph until all the cars are out of the sharp curve. In the mornings I've notice a few operators picking up speed once the first 3 cars are out of the curve. Sometimes I feel like the rear cars are going to derail:eek: I think they are installing one bcause I see a signal with a trashbag over that hasn't been thier before.

Recalibrating some timers wouldn't be such a bad idea, even though some of the recent installations; especially in the IND; aren't needed. In response to the comments about the J, those are certainly justified, especially on those sharp curves.

If they keep adding more of these timers in unnecessary locations, the trains are going to start to get REAL slow. And at that point, I think that a lot of people will start to say "F**k it", and will begin searching for other, more reliable transportation alternatives (and I will probably be one of those people). You all know that less "customers" means less revenue for the MTA, so these timers can very well turn around to bite the (MTA) in the ass.

Is the (A) now slower between 168th Street and 59th Street-Columbus Circle and through "Broadway Junction?" :confused:

Pretty much yea in both directions N/B btwn 59 & 125 is the beter run that S/B on that stretch.Once trains go by 81st it feels like they're doing 40+ and its a slight decrease in speed around 96 & 103 once the dip comes there's these timers and the one at the flat btwn down & starting 2 go up I see Yellow Illuminated white and about 95% of the time T/O's will brake for the next signal while they're going 38 or so but very few T/O's coast or keep it wrapped and topping around 43-48mph going uphill passing 110th and still hauling ass flying by 116th before the timers coming around the curve for 125th the rest is slow except going downhill coming in 181 usually hitting 37 & S/B its nothing.

But the best express runs or the runs on the (A) where speed is damn good is 59-42nd St S/B,34th-14th S/B,tubes*I suppose* & a fine express run between Hoyt & Nostrand if the T/O runs the signal they'll hit 42-44.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I think they also added a timer on the Manhattan bound local track just east (railroad south) of the station. If it was always there, I never noticed it until last week

Pretty much yea in both directions N/B btwn 59 & 125 is the beter run that S/B on that stretch.Once trains go by 81st it feels like they're doing 40+ and its a slight decrease in speed around 96 & 103 once the dip comes there's these timers and the one at the flat btwn down & starting 2 go up I see Yellow Illuminated white and about 95% of the time T/O's will brake for the next signal while they're going 38 or so but very few T/O's coast or keep it wrapped and topping around 43-48mph going uphill passing 110th and still hauling ass flying by 116th before the timers coming around the curve for 125th the rest is slow except going downhill coming in 181 usually hitting 37 & S/B its nothing.

But the best express runs or the runs on the (A) where speed is damn good is 59-42nd St S/B,34th-14th S/B,tubes*I suppose* & a fine express run between Hoyt & Nostrand if the T/O runs the signal they'll hit 42-44.

Just curious, how can you tell how fast the train is going? Or are you just estimating about?

Just curious, how can you tell how fast the train is going? Or are you just estimating about?

On the R32 you can just peek through the cab and look at the speedometer. On an R46, chances are the door will have to be open to see the speed. On an NTT, you're outta luck.

well yesterday when I went on the (A) (I meant to go uptown but by accident took the Far Rockaway bound one), It seemed to be going into Broadway Junction a little faster than usual (like around 17 MPH). Then again I was in the back car... :confused:

On the R32 you can just peek through the cab and look at the speedometer. On an R46, chances are the door will have to be open to see the speed. On an NTT, you're outta luck.

Actually, on NTTs you can peek between the door hinges. There is a little space where you can the speedometer

Archived