Dam those dollar vans , dam them to hell!

EliteOperator81

I was stuck on foster for 15 -20 minutes waiting for crap to clear. Van was siting in the right lane somewhat sideways ( i am sure he stopped short in the intersection to pick up someone, I mean IN the intersection well past the pedestrian crossing markings on the ground )

There were cops and 3 ambulances when I got there.

Van has a small dent on the chrome bumper, hybrid on the other hand will need a new nose ;( ( grill, headlight .... the headlight area took most of the damage )

I am sure TA will make sure its drivers fault, because he was going to fast for the conditions or following too close ;(

I came by 3 hours later, the dispatch was still there writing the report.

You know they will...........

the bad part of this is that the bus op is on probation.

where you the 103 behind me at that spot yesterday?

From the description of the accident, sounds like a rear end collision, and even in a car, unless you have witnesses, you are guilty. Even though NY has No-Fault insurance, that is one of the only times the driver is at fault.......

not to mention the dollar cabs now as well. these guys come here, buy a car and just run cab without any hesitation , they slow down traffic to a crawl hoping someone wants a cab. to be honest how do people get in these vehicles when they are not licensed cabs? hes basically a guy with a car who could kidnapp you!

What you stated is the true problem. NYS has laws on hail fares, only which taxis can pick up. Dollar Vans and "Gypsy" cabs are not taxis. "Gypsy" cabs must be called. Dollar vans, I don't think have any rights to pick up anyone anywhere. I do see some with Livery and T&LC plates, which may be legal. Those without, the NYPD needs to do a crackdown, and make it hurt. No more summonses, but any dollar vans/dollar car with regular plates, driver should be arrested, ticketed, vehicle impounded, in which the vehicle should not be given back, but auctioned off, or scrapped. If the driver is not the owner, they should investigate, and if the owner is hiring out their vans/cars for that service, they should also be arrested. The fine on the driver should be $5,000, the owner $10,000, and if the driver is both owner/operator, $15,000. I have to drive down Flatbush and an tired of their antics when they drive. They have nothing on their mind but to straddle lanes, block traffic, and make a quick (most of them illegal) buck. They suppose to pay taxes on their revenues, so maybe the treasury dept, and IRS should get involved also, on those operating illegally.............

I'll post on this considering I'm on a dollar van more times than i'm on A MTA Bus.

(1) Dollar van riders, including myself, dont look or care about "out-of-state license plates." Thats like looking at the license number every-time your bus comes, you're not going to do it for the fact of you probably don't care about it. Just like the bus, we use them for one reason, to get to our destination.

(2) Dollar Vans require cash, and not metrocards. I live in Southeast Queens, where theirs little to no metrocard vendors (at least theirs none by me and i live right around the corner from the Q111 and Q113 on 147th) so people are technically forced to hop on the dollar van when their metrocard is low, or don't have a metrocard in general.

(3) Their MUCH faster. I've taken the Q5 from Jamaica Center to Green Acres MANY times and the ride is 45 minutes to an hour. The dollar van does that same trip in 30.

And finally, the crazy driving, everyone's used to it. (by everyone, i mean the people that ride it and from the Caribbean)

I've been to Trinidad AND Jamaica many times and they drive the same exact way with the maxi taxi's and coaster buaes. No one's gonna come in the dollar van and say "can you please slow down for my safety," they may think it but everyone's used to it by now. We're used to the crazy driving, many in New York City may be afraid so to say, or frantic, of the driving but they do their purpose. Getting us to our destination

yeahhhhh, but there has to be a point where you have to draw the line, fam... In my case I posted earlier, there's NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a dollar van to be goin back & forth across both sides of the yellow line, period, let alone at a high rate of speed...

outside of the showboating & the biases (the van drivers DO tend to favor female passengers to male passengers, although it's the same damn 2 bucks), I don't have a problem with the things... I remember when dollar cabs/vans were actually a dollar; before they went mimicing/following the mta's fare raises...

the OOS(tate) license plate thing... yeah, they don't look for them on the vans, but they do look for them on the cabs... I'm one of those people... the only OOS plate I'll hop in a dollar cab on, is an NJ plate, and I'm iffy about doing that... there's a regular dude that's been drivin down church for a couple yrs. now... on CT plates.. I refuse to get in that car.... and lately, I've been seeing some dollar cabs w/ FL, NC, and yes, even TX plates... **** that... I'm not hopping in those things....

another thing I'm noticing, is people operating their personal vehicles as dollar cabs... I DON'T get in those things either... I'd hop in the regular ole lincoln town car before I'd hop in someone's red hyundai or someone's black nissan altima....

points 2 & 3 of yours.... right on :tup:

and I'll add something else....

the dollar cab/van drivers that's been in the game for a minute, lot of them chop up some good game... if you get the talkative ones, you can up your street smarts from them cats (and a couple laughs to start your day too !)... that's just one small reason why I don't call for dollar cab/van elimination outright....

yeahhhhh, but there has to be a point where you have to draw the line, fam... In my case I posted earlier, there's NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a dollar van to be goin back & forth across both sides of the yellow line, period, let alone at a high rate of speed...

outside of the showboating & the biases (the van drivers DO tend to favor female passengers to male passengers, although it's the same damn 2 bucks), I don't have a problem with the things... I remember when dollar cabs/vans were actually a dollar; before they went mimicing/following the mta's fare raises...

the OOS(tate) license plate thing... yeah, they don't look for them on the vans, but they do look for them on the cabs... I'm one of those people... the only OOS plate I'll hop in a dollar cab on, is an NJ plate, and I'm iffy about doing that... there's a regular dude that's been drivin down church for a couple yrs. now... on CT plates.. I refuse to get in that car.... and lately, I've been seeing some dollar cabs w/ FL, NC, and yes, even TX plates... **** that... I'm not hopping in those things....

another thing I'm noticing, is people operating their personal vehicles as dollar cabs... I DON'T get in those things either... I'd hop in the regular ole lincoln town car before I'd hop in someone's red hyundai or someone's black nissan altima....

points 2 & 3 of yours.... right on :tup:

and I'll add something else....

the dollar cab/van drivers that's been in the game for a minute, lot of them chop up some good game... if you get the talkative ones, you can up your street smarts from them cats (and a couple laughs to start your day too !)... that's just one small reason why I don't call for dollar cab/van elimination outright....

I'll simplify it...don't ride a cab if it doesn't have NY or NJ livery plates. If you get in an accident and snap your neck, you will not be covered. The guys with other plates always have trouble finding their licenses when the cops stop them. In addition, don't get on a van that does not have NY livery or bus plates, a NYSDOT diamond, and a TLC sticker. With $12,000-15,000 insurance a year, they don't want to hit anything except the brakes.

I'll simplify it...don't ride a cab if it doesn't have NY or NJ livery plates. If you get in an accident and snap your neck, you will not be covered. The guys with other plates always have trouble finding their licenses when the cops stop them. In addition, don't get on a van that does not have NY livery or bus plates, a NYSDOT diamond, and a TLC sticker. With $12,000-15,000 insurance a year, they don't want to hit anything except the brakes.

In addition, in NJ, it should be Omnibus plates (even on a taxi). I see some taxis in NY with NJ limousine plates, but those aren't the proper plates for taxicabs in NJ.

Y dont MTA just buy a bunch on vans, paint them white and blue, put a farebox on them employ these guys and send them to 19a training lmao! can you imagine a dollar van driver at 19a road test lol. that way all that money come home and maybe our next contract wont be so hard to get !;)

Y dont MTA just buy a bunch on vans, paint them white and blue, put a farebox on them employ these guys and send them to 19a training lmao! can you imagine a dollar van driver at 19a road test lol. that way all that money come home and maybe our next contract wont be so hard to get !;)

Actually, there are some routes that would be more efficient that way (except for school trippers). The Q79 would have been one (as a variable fixed-route), and other examples could be: the S54, S55/56 (as a variable fixed-route), N2, N8, N36/62 (as one variable fixed-route service), and most of the north-south routes east of the N40/1 and N27.

Each service would have fixed time points, but divert up to 3/4 mile off the route.

I use the Q64 to Forest Hills subway station and for many years we had dollar cabs running in competition with Queens Surface. At first they used sedans, then moved up to station wagons.

Then came Metrocard.

Overnight, that ended all dollar cabs.

Yep; I see the lower-class version of this outside 231 St and 242 St on the (1) a lot: a bunch of middle-aged or older men hanging out by the train station, smoking cigarettes and relaxing. As soon as people begin to come out of the train station, the propositions begin: "Taxi?" "Taxi?" "Taxi!" with an occasional "Need a ride, miss?" whenever one of the prettier college girls walks by. I went up by Dyre Av once, and it was even worse there. I was waiting for the W55 bus, and the same guy propositioned me four different times. Frankly, it reminded me more of this than anything else.

Archived