Dam those dollar vans , dam them to hell!

EliteOperator81

...and I bet that dollar van driver came out in a rage, blaming "di bus bwoy"....

I don't mess w/ the flatbush vans anymore... then again, I don't go to kings plaza no more anyway, so I have no reason to want to bother taking them.... if I'm goin downtown, I just deal w/ the (2)...

^^ The straw that broke the camel's back for me, was one night from work, I decided to walk across the bridge, then made it over to livingston st over there by the park & fast (the dollar vans' "terminal")... twas around quarter to 11....

We were flying down that stretch of flatbush av b/w grand army plz & empire blvd.... I look at the speedometer... this f***er was goin 85, zig-zagging from one side of the double yellow line to the other, laughin & shit... I was livid... so much so that I got off @ church av & did not pay the guy... I stood there til he drove off (to be honest, I wanted him to get out & say/do some shit)...

the utica ones, I seldom take (I don't mind the walk from eastern pkwy [coming off the (3)] to church av)....

It goes w/o saying that they all drive reckless as hell...

gotta love how they pick up pax at a bus stop, and tell YOU to "come in, come in, come in"....

the dollar cabs (cars) aren't as bad as the vans... but I gotta say, somethin's gotta be done about the ones that block up nostrand b/w flatbush & glenwood... that shouldn't have to be a choke point for B44's.....

No, no.. damn those dollar vans to Staten Island!! We could use some over here.

No, no dollar vans here, but we could use more competition for good car service. As it is now, the only car service that offers somewhat reasonable rates and decent clean cars is Clove Lakes. TJs can be alright sometimes, but they're far more expensive. Then again, I know most of the cats at Clove Lakes anyway, so I usually get nice drivers and nice clean cars.

As a rule, dollar vans only operate along busier corridors. So the only routes you could realistically see them on are the S46, S48, and S53.

If the corridor isn't busy enough, the van operator won't feel it is worth it to make the trip.

I don't know my opinion on having dollar vans come over here. On one hand, they could help alleviate some overcrowding on certain bus routes, but on the other hand, their existance means that the MTA is getting less revenue (not to mention that they drive recklessly in an effort to pick up as many passengers as they can).

Personally, I think a lot of the overcrowding could be alliviated if people just moved to the back.

Thats dollar van territoty - Flatbush Av and Utica Av. Gotta love how crazy those drivers are.

In addition to what others have said, they also operate up and down Brewer Boulevard and in the Rockaways along Beach Channel Drive (at least to Beach 73 Street); gypsy cabs also cause problems along Jamaica Avenue from Jamaica out east to Queens Village and along the Q6, often blocking the Q8/41/60 stop; the MTA Police is often busy ticketing them.

The Brewer Boulevard ones, however, actually have some that are real buses, albeit minibuses. The worst part though: Fines are seen as a cost of doing business.

As a rule, dollar vans only operate along busier corridors. So the only routes you could realistically see them on are the S46, S48, and S53.

If the corridor isn't busy enough, the van operator won't feel it is worth it to make the trip.

I don't know my opinion on having dollar vans come over here. On one hand, they could help alleviate some overcrowding on certain bus routes, but on the other hand, their existance means that the MTA is getting less revenue (not to mention that they drive recklessly in an effort to pick up as many passengers as they can).

Personally, I think a lot of the overcrowding could be alliviated if people just moved to the back.

The whole move to the back issue is not always the issue because some people actually prefer going to the back. Whenever I do ride, I like to stand near the door as it offers the least amount of crowding usually and on the new buses it can act as a shield to block annoying people from touching or banging into you. Crowding can be alleviated on Staten Island with more service. It's a rarity to actually be able to get a seat on a SI local bus. As I've stated, I never sit down on the local S.I. buses anyway even when they're empty (too dirty) for me, but I find it hysterical how people fight for seats on the S53 like savages. I mean really it's not such a big deal to stand. My ride is like 15 minutes tops and I survive just fine.

Since the Manhattan buses tend to be a bit cleaner I'll usually sit down on those depending on the route.

In some cases, people will prefer to move to the back (I'm that type of person). However, I do see a lot of buses pass by with room in the back.

At certain times on certain routes in certain neighborhoods, yes, they can be very crowded. But I wouldn't consider it a rarity to get a seat, and I ride the local buses fairly often (if nothing else, to get to school).

For example, along Richmond Avenue in the reverse-peak direction (Northbound AM, Southbound PM) you are virtually guarenteed a seat.

Many routes follow the old hub-and-spoke idea: The further you are from the hub, the less crowded the route is. So, if you are boarding near St. George, you won't get a seat, but if you are boarding further out, you probably will. Personally, the only exception to this rule (out of all of the routes I ride) is the S48/S98, since they pick up a lot of riders at Broadway and Richmond Avenue.

For example, when I ride the S46 in Mariners' Harbor in the PM rush, I am also guarenteed a seat (especially westbound).

On the weekends, I think the only routes with overcrowding problems are the S48 and S53.

The dollar vans had people's back, back in the days... I remember when JBL and GBL went on strike before the MTA took over, the only way for me to go to school was through them (their prices were even lower than the MTA and JBL at that time)

I was stuck on foster for 15 -20 minutes waiting for crap to clear. Van was siting in the right lane somewhat sideways ( i am sure he stopped short in the intersection to pick up someone, I mean IN the intersection well past the pedestrian crossing markings on the ground )

There were cops and 3 ambulances when I got there.

Van has a small dent on the chrome bumper, hybrid on the other hand will need a new nose ;( ( grill, headlight .... the headlight area took most of the damage )

I am sure TA will make sure its drivers fault, because he was going to fast for the conditions or following too close ;(

I came by 3 hours later, the dispatch was still there writing the report.

7:30 pm -- B41 hit a dollar van because a dam dollar van stop short which is always happening on flat bush It was a big scene

Time 7:30pm

Location flat bush and foster ave

These dam vans have no consideration for bus stops nor buses

Ban them all!

the bad part of this is that the bus op is on probation.

where you the 103 behind me at that spot yesterday?

The ones to watch out for are the chinese dollar vans

in Queens. Instead of at least pulling over to the curb to

pick up and drop off they stay in the middle of the street

holding up traffic. Illegal u-turns, not signaling when making

turns, excessive horn blowing......

Ah yes, the Chinese dollar vans aren't saints either. While I'm on the Q45 on 79th St in Queens, the dollar vans will block the street to make u-turns or to pick up/drop off people.

You get bad drivers in every medium of transport. I was on a bus (think it was the M2) way uptown, and this cab crosses every lane and slams right into us. Everybody on the bus falls down. And then the cab just drives away. I was talking to the B/O, who was just stunned. But he had a schedule to keep, so he just kept driving, and hoped the damage wasn't too bad...

The fun of driving in NYC. I've left that pastime behind me for the time being.

That doesn't seem right. Anytime you have a accident (preventable or not),you have to call it in. Especally if you have passengers who may have been hurt. Most if not all (MTA) B/Os know that they are guilty until proven innocent when dealing with accidents and try to get as much "backup" as you can from passenger and pedestrian statements. Just driving away like that....where I work you would get fired if they found out.

not to mention the dollar cabs now as well. these guys come here, buy a car and just run cab without any hesitation , they slow down traffic to a crawl hoping someone wants a cab. to be honest how do people get in these vehicles when they are not licensed cabs? hes basically a guy with a car who could kidnapp you!

cmon i mean running dollar cab- van with out of town plates?!! yet and still people get on and pay them with no problem or fuss(as if he gives breaks). us on the other hand we have to hear the story of how thier was suposed to be a transfer on the card or how the have no change and of course the drama.

cmon i mean running dollar cab- van with out of town plates?!! yet and still people get on and pay them with no problem or fuss(as if he gives breaks). us on the other hand we have to hear the story of how thier was suposed to be a transfer on the card or how the have no change and of course the drama.

I'll post on this considering I'm on a dollar van more times than i'm on A MTA Bus.

(1) Dollar van riders, including myself, dont look or care about "out-of-state license plates." Thats like looking at the license number every-time your bus comes, you're not going to do it for the fact of you probably don't care about it. Just like the bus, we use them for one reason, to get to our destination.

(2) Dollar Vans require cash, and not metrocards. I live in Southeast Queens, where theirs little to no metrocard vendors (at least theirs none by me and i live right around the corner from the Q111 and Q113 on 147th) so people are technically forced to hop on the dollar van when their metrocard is low, or don't have a metrocard in general.

(3) Their MUCH faster. I've taken the Q5 from Jamaica Center to Green Acres MANY times and the ride is 45 minutes to an hour. The dollar van does that same trip in 30.

And finally, the crazy driving, everyone's used to it. (by everyone, i mean the people that ride it and from the Caribbean)

I've been to Trinidad AND Jamaica many times and they drive the same exact way with the maxi taxi's and coaster buaes. No one's gonna come in the dollar van and say "can you please slow down for my safety," they may think it but everyone's used to it by now. We're used to the crazy driving, many in New York City may be afraid so to say, or frantic, of the driving but they do their purpose. Getting us to our destination

Archived