Wants $15M in subway 'nightmare'

Locomotion69

Once again the only way to remove the gap fillers would be to close the 14th Street station, and reopen the 18th Street station, but rebuild the station so it would be an express station. It can successfully replace the 14th Street station.

You can rebuild the 18th St platform s/b to create a connection with the Union Square BMT station but you CANNOT make it an express stop. There is no place for an express platform in that area except at it's present ( 14th St ) location. North of the 14th St station you have switches and their associated compressors and hardware. You also have the signal room and, most important, the steel girders supporting the whole system down there. Remove those girders and the whole thing comes down, including the underpinnings for the Union Square station complex in the IRT area. Further north in the 17th-18th street area there is no place for a platform as the distance between the s/b tracks is only girder width. Perhaps you have a different approach to it because many professional planners have looked at the area and came up empty. You're more than welcome to elaborate your plan.

Why? They've done nothing to deserve it. I hope the judge fines the plaintiff and his lawyer $100,000 for wasting the taxpayers' time and money. It won't happen but this is America and at least I can still dream here. That's one right the rich, their lackey politicians, and idiots haven't taken away (yet).

Only if. Only if, they did that.........

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I read that in the paper at work today. In it they said there want many sings there. But at every gap filler, there's a red sign overhead, its painted on the floor (albeit faded in some places), and they anounce it every 2 minutes. I see enough coverage there. Plus the last paragraph said that the South Ferry has the chains that extended with the platform. That station has been rendered moot once the new station opened a few years back. Also, the curvature of the track at that station was far more grater than at Union Sq.

Just another New Yorker trying to make a quick dollar off the (MTA)

That announcement plays more than every 2 minutes. More like every 15-20 seconds. When I am on the Lexington Lines, I say to myself, "why don't that announcement, STFU for a minute!!!!!)

If he wins, then hopefully he'll celebrate with packs of beer. Beer for everyone, woooooo!!!!!!, fall...............

If he was helped immediately, I'd say that this case is ridiculous. But the fact that he wasn't helped for 30 minutes may mean he may have a small case, but definitely not 15 million.

This I agree with the most.Not 15 million.But definitely at least 5.Maybe 10.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Once again the only way to remove the gap fillers would be to close the 14th Street station, and reopen the 18th Street station, but rebuild the station so it would be an express station. It can successfully replace the 14th Street station.

So let ne get this straight...you want the (MTA) to close down one of the busiest stations on the Lex, and recommission one 4 blocks up that closed over 50 years ago? No offense but that's the dumbest idea ever. In addition to what Trainmaster5 said, you have to clean off 50 years of dirt and graffiti, extend it to fit 10 cars THEN turn around and refit it as an island platform. All because people don't know how to read signs and listen to announcements. No one in their right minds would fund that.

I have an even simpler idea...pay attention to the gaps, I'm pretty sure you can notice it

yeah ok go play in traffic so you can't sue the TA next time something happens

As Mike would say, "Tell him to go sh*t in his hat!"

If he was helped immediately, I'd say that this case is ridiculous. But the fact that he wasn't helped for 30 minutes may mean he may have a small case, but definitely not 15 million.

EMS was on the scene in less then 5 minutes. It took 30 to free him which is only a bit longer then that type of extrication usually takes.

He was drunk, he should get nothing. In fact, they should have given him a summons for public intox.

My record is taking a college student with a BAC of 0.45. He ended up on a vent.

It happens from time to time. I have also heard of people with a BAC of 0.4 actually functioning to a point, but they also happened to be hardcore alcoholics that were dependent on the sauce.

EMS was on the scene in less then 5 minutes. It took 30 to free him which is only a bit longer then that type of extrication usually takes.

He was drunk, he should get nothing. In fact, they should have given him a summons for public intox.

Exactly. I think many posting are forgetting that odds are it wasn't as simple as just lifting him out when the gap fillers were released. They probably had to use the "space case" airbags to move the train away from the platform to clear his body and lift him out so as to make sure they did it properly and didn't cause futher injuries.

Exactly. I think many posting are forgetting that odds are it wasn't as simple as just lifting him out when the gap fillers were released. They probably had to use the "space case" airbags to move the train away from the platform to clear his body and lift him out so as to make sure they did it properly and didn't cause futher injuries.

They did.

DSC_0020070541.JPG--300x300.jpg

Just like the MTA did with walking between train doors, The mta should make it illegal to walk on the curved platform edges when the train doors close. Even though it may cause some issues,its the only way people can start using there minds.

Have fun finding a way to get that enforced, if it were ever to happen. lol

Just like the MTA did with walking between train doors, The mta should make it illegal to walk on the curved platform edges when the train doors close. Even though it may cause some issues,its the only way people can start using there minds.

No...our legal system should start enforcing accountability and stop wasting the taxpayers' money on garbage that could have been avoided through the plaintiff's own proper actions instead of idiocy.

It should also stop wasting taxpayer money on bogus rules which both require financing to enforce and take away the freedoms of those responsible enough to act properly and live with the consequences of that act, good or bad.

From what a witness posted on another site, this guy was pretty drunk and when he got stuck the first thing he was worried about was hiding his beer can that was on the platform next to him.

If I remember too in the original picture I saw in the newspaper there was a beer can in a paper bag that was next to him. I also read witness accounts that he was more concerned with hiding the beer can he dropped when he fell. From all of what I read though the guy was drinking on the platform. He was not paying attention, was drunk and fell. When the train stop he decided not to wait until the platform extended and in he went. I don't think he has a case if the responding EMT's and police take note that he was intoxicated.

No way. The MTA shouldn't have to keep making common sense rules because of people not using their brains. They DO tell you not to walk along the platform edge in the first place and this guy should not get anything since he contributed to his own injuries by drinking in the system.

Archived