M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Are we talking MLIRR or M9A MNRR cars ? They’re different animals.

Actually, the M9A order consists of both LIRR and MNR cars. The M9A was purchased with federal money that was specifically set aside for increased rolling stock due to East Side Access opening up. Regardless, a builder hasn't even picked yet as far as I'm aware so they haven't even started production on those. It'll take awhile till we see an M9A on either property. 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Actually, the M9A order consists of both LIRR and MNR cars. The M9A was purchased with federal money that was specifically set aside for increased rolling stock due to East Side Access opening up. Regardless, a builder hasn't even picked yet as far as I'm aware so they haven't even started production on those. It'll take awhile till we see an M9A on either property. 

I was actually replying to Jake’s reporting on the LIRR car acceptance progress but thanks for your clarification. Carry on.

On 2/19/2024 at 4:35 PM, danielhg121 said:

I heard that Kawasaki dropped out because of issues with LIRR, but without Kawasaki who else is qualified to build the cars? Alstom?

9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I heard that Kawasaki dropped out because of issues with LIRR, but without Kawasaki who else is qualified to build the cars? Alstom?

That wouldn't surprise me. Adding on, Kawasaki has a lot on their plate especially if subways decides to go through with the option order which they probably would. I'm sure other agencies have also placed orders with them so maybe Siemens or Alstom? Siemens has a lot of Chargers to build as well and Alstom mostly has a Euro-centric profile but they did secure the contract to build those coaches for CDOT for Waterbury, Danbury and the Hartford line in August last yr (expected in 2026). 

On 2/19/2024 at 5:43 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

I was actually replying to Jake’s reporting on the LIRR car acceptance progress but thanks for your clarification. Carry on.

He meant the regular M9s. This guy tends to go around the different topics with some redundant questions and answer 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That's pretty much all you've got unless the MTA tries to qualify another builder such as CAF or Rotem. Ik Rotem just picked up the contract for LA metro. Perhaps they could make a return to the northeastern market. Only other name that can come to mind is Stadler 

Edited by Railfanner Jake

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/20/2024 at 6:06 PM, Lawrence St said:

Alstom has its bag of issues right now so I can't imagine them being much better than Kawasaki. It's like they acquired the curse of Bombardier along with the company. 

On 2/20/2024 at 7:27 PM, Railfanner Jake said:

That's pretty much all you've got unless the MTA tries to qualify another builder such as CAF or Rotem. Ik Rotem just picked up the contract for LA metro. Perhaps they could make a return to the northeastern market. Only other name that can come to mind is Stadler 

I hope we can get another builder in the mix, Stadler while they don't have a big portfolio they are known for making decent products.

Edited by IAlam

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A milestone moment today. Photo credits to a friend of mine. The last M9 pair has made it to Yonkers (9201-9202). All cars are now completed and built. Now to await the acceptance of this pair and the other 12 cars for project completion. Links work for the photos, Insert from URL is not working for some reason.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GEqY58akJ27FYn7eA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1SVKL6RF6q51uME9A

Edited by Railfanner Jake