MTA to build new 165th Street Jamaica Terminal

East New York

(MTA) - This project will reconfigure the Jamaica bus terminal located in Queens. The existing terminal is shared by NYC Transit, MTA Bus, and Long Island Bus. The reconstruction will improve pedestrian and passenger safety by eliminating bus back-up moves in the terminal and controlling pedestrian traffic in the terminal area by facilitating transfers between the boarding areas for the bus stops in the terminal and on Merrick Blvd.

It's about time!!

It's about time!!

Nice catch buddy. With this now, maybe couple of routes i.e SE Queens/LI Bus such as the N4, etc. that currently ends at Jamaica Center could now be extended a few blocks and start/end here.

Does this project also makes it possible to be the terminal for a few more buses since Parson/Archer is a mess with dollar vans and buses?

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The best part about 165 Terminal is when the buses back up. You have some drivers that go in reverse with their foot on the throttle then throw it in drive while still going backwards

Oh well as they say out with the old, in with the new

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The best part about 165 Terminal is when the buses back up. You have some drivers that go in reverse with their foot on the throttle then throw it in drive while still going backwards

Oh well as they say out with the old, in with the new

yeah but i wonder if they will put departure times of the buses or some type of tech advancement.

by eliminating bus back-up moves in the terminal

this part of it, was key to me....

I'm thinking they're planning on rebuilding it, something along the lines of how the Broadway bus terminal (paterson, nj) is being rebuilt... basically resembles an enclosed gas station (lol), the way buses come in on one side, and exits out the other....

I just hope they don't have all the old GBL routes grouped/situated in one lane....

yeah but i wonder if they will put departure times of the buses or some type of tech advancement.

MTA is developing that for the PA/CIS project for the buses, but they are [very] slow.

-----------------------------------------------------

The 165 St terminal wont be replaced in no time... they are still in planning stages. I really wish they could speed up and get the problems out of the way, you know the MTA...

This is a dingy terminal. I imagine it would look like the new bus terminal in Jackson Heights.

It really is dingy, just like the rest of Jamaica lol.

Good news, it's about time something new happened over there. The newest thing over there in the past 10 years or so is that Gap & Home Depot, everything else is just depressingly ugly that's why I hope this bus station looks a bit on the modern side.

This is good news, but where will the buses temporarliy end while it's being rebuilt? Jamaica Station and 179 St aren't good areas due to space problems

Simple, like when they were repaving the 165th Bus Term. years ago: 89th Ave & parts of Merrick Blvd. would be made into no parking zones. Buses would use those areas to layover and pick up passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. Sounds like good news BUT I heard this before. I will believe this when I see notices and ground breaking material at thr Terminal. I'm 32 years old and I grew up near the terminal.

x2 That terminal can seriously use a modern rebuild but I've heard the same thing over and over. Im really curious as to the specifics in terms of looks and how the terminal will be configured.

Ok. Sounds like good news BUT I heard this before. I will believe this when I see notices and ground breaking material at thr Terminal. I'm 32 years old and I grew up near the terminal.

I'm with you on this Ray, I will believe it when they actually bring in the bulldozers! LOL

Archived