Which Look Do You Prefer ?

105th St KK QJ JJ J

You mean like this?

img_4847.jpg

Totally agree with your "Stepford Wives" comment. That is what the post-GOH R32s and R38s are, the "Stepford Wives" trains. I'd give anything to be able to ride an R32 with its pre-GOH front rollsigns, interior and blue doors again. Of course, that's probably not going to happen, unless a train museum has enough money to pay for a restoration of a pair of R32s (or even just one car in the pair to show what they looked like pre- and post-GOH).

Oh yes! Seeing one of those come in would even make the non-railfans talk! Extra foam for the old school car numbers on the sides. :cool:

You could be on to something - no telling what the MTA's, or the Transit Museum's, finances'll look like when the last R32 finishes its last revenue run, but who knows? If the Transit Museum was able to restore a few arnines from their battered, post-deferred maintenance state, hopefully they can restore a '32 or two.

Oh really take a look at the R38's when they were new, and just arrived.

img_24540.jpg

Looking fresh isn't it.

Fresh to death, as The Situation would say. I was, regretfully, out of town when the R38s were retired in '09, but up to the end, I still remember seeing one or two cars with that original (ta) logo.

Fresh to death, as The Situation would say. I was, regretfully, out of town when the R38s were retired in '09, but up to the end, I still remember seeing one or two cars with that original (ta) logo.

Do you mean you saw post-GOH R38s with the (ta) logo? I thought all of them had it replaced during GOH with the (NYCT) logo (and later the (MTA) logo). I only saw post-GOH R38s with the (NYCT) and (MTA) logos on the sides and the old, old NYCTA logo up front - the one with the R10 superimposed over an outline of the city limits. I always wondered why only the R38s got that logo added to their fronts post-GOH, but not the R32s or the Redbirds or any other cars.

Do you mean you saw post-GOH R38s with the (ta) logo? I thought all of them had it replaced during GOH with the (NYCT) logo (and later the (MTA) logo). I only saw post-GOH R38s with the (NYCT) and (MTA) logos on the sides and the old, old NYCTA logo up front - the one with the R10 superimposed over an outline of the city limits. I always wondered why only the R38s got that logo added to their fronts post-GOH, but not the R32s or the Redbirds or any other cars.

Yep. Very, very rarely, I think only one, maybe two, of them still had the (ta).

That R10 logo might've just been part of the new design, or an extra feature like the red stripes on the R142/R142As.

Original. Aqua interiors, rubber on windows. Preferred the R38s, both exterior and interior. Strange that R38 had light blue stripe where R32s had dark blue doors. Inside R38s had illuminated ad panels so they seemed more modern at the time. At the museum, the R33/36 WF have an interior scheme most similar to the R32s except for normal A/B division differences and that the seats were black on that train and blue on the R32.

Also, the aqua color scheme, though painted on the R32-R42s were most like the R143-R160. Not the same but fairy similar. That's why the R143-R160 seem like updated R42s.

About the R33/36 WF. The 7s seemed special to ride on for awhile because they had that WF paint scheme and had rounded panel windows where the 1-6 didn't use them and had rectangular panel windows.

IMHO not only R32 / R38 look was destroyed in GO.

How ugly the R42s look compared to the original design with installed gates, missing the blue stripes and with all door windows that doesn't have the height of other windows.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?5496

It's pitty that the musem doesn't have funds to pay for restoration job that would send back the cars to their time of glory.

------------

Greetings from Prague

------------

How ugly the R42s look compared to the original design with installed gates, missing the blue stripes and with all door windows that doesn't have the height of other windows.

It's pitty that the musem doesn't have funds to pay for restoration job that would send back the cars to their time of glory.

------------

Greetings from Prague

------------

Good point

img_114134.jpg

------------

Greetings from Prague

------------

Agreed. And the larger railfan window was great for looking out for kids and short people. Same goes for the original longer side door windows. Those shorter front and side door windows installed during GOH were yet another bad idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to have to admit I like the R32 Brightliners and R38s from when I was a little one.

The R32 Brightliners were something else with their shiny corrugated sides and blue doors. And the fronts with the small rectangle lit red for express or green for local, the small square for the letter and small rectangle for the terminal. IMHO, The only thing better were the R40 Slants before they received the hardware and lost the large capital letter on the route color square. Seeing one on QB with the F against that magenta square was :cool: !

Archived