Which Look Do You Prefer ?

105th St KK QJ JJ J

definitely pre-goh....when they were overhauled they should have just updated the signs to the 1980's colors and fonts and kept them the way they were (they left the side rollsigns alone...idk who's idea it was to change the front) Those single "cyclops" signs they replaced them with look terrible and some find them to be illegible as well.

Guest lance25

@4P3607: It's your opinion; if other folks don't like it, it's their problem.

With that said, I also prefer the pre-GOH cars because in my opinion, they looked better (when they weren't covered in graffiti). Yes, I know that they didn't run well.

Pre-GOH for both the R32s and R38s. Both fleets had their looks ruined during GOH. It's like Michael Jackson pre- versus post-surgery. The flipdots were very difficult to see from even just a short distance. They were worse than the rollsigns. Getting rid of the straps was also a really bad idea, especially on the R32s whose grab bars do not go all the way to the doorways. When they GOH'ed the R26/28/29/33/36 cars into the Redbirds, they didn't completely gut the interiors and replace the front rollsigns and marker lights with a tiny illegible flipdot sign. Why did that have to be done with the R32s and R38? And why couldn't they have left the blue doors on the 32s?

I wonder why they completely covered the rollsign and local/express lights on the R32, but just put sheets of metal over the lights and rollsign on the R38.

The setup of the car fronts was different. The R32 needed a full covering while the R38 was able to get by with the panel; you can see it in the top photos.

Pre. The pre-GOH front ends look like they'd stood the tests of time - really, how cool would it be to see a (C) train pull in with that full old school pair of signs? The post-GOH R32s may as well be the Stepford Wives of the subway.

You mean like this?

img_4847.jpg

Totally agree with your "Stepford Wives" comment. That is what the post-GOH R32s and R38s are, the "Stepford Wives" trains. I'd give anything to be able to ride an R32 with its pre-GOH front rollsigns, interior and blue doors again. Of course, that's probably not going to happen, unless a train museum has enough money to pay for a restoration of a pair of R32s (or even just one car in the pair to show what they looked like pre- and post-GOH).

Sure did. And the last ten R38s (4140-49) had air conditioning units. Unfortunately, I never got to ride pre-GOH R38s, probably because there weren't that many of them (just 200) and they didn't run on the (D), which was (and unfortunately still is) the only full-time B-Division line that ran in the Bronx. If I'm not mistaken, they were the first B-Division SMEE cars to be sent out for GOH in the late 80s. But looks-wise, I'm more of a fan of the pre-GOH 32s because they were more colorful with their blue front and side doors, although I've seen 80s-era pictures of R38s with blue front doors as well. Here's one from 1982:

img_5117.jpg

Archived