The orion VI is coming back into service!!!

trainfan22

Yep you read the title correctly the orion VI is coming back into service!! 6355-6359 was moved to ENY depot these buses were put back on the active roster will get new powertrain installed and sent to Staten Island!! From what ive heard they are at the ENY storage lot across the street from the ENY LIRR station. But the thing i dont get is why are they putting these buses back into service? They are like the bus version of the R110s i dont know why they are bringing these things back on the road. Maybe its due to the bus shortage...

This is like utmost shocking. The MTA actually bringing the O6s back from the dead. I won't be surprised they get USDOT Numbers and put on the S89. But let me not take it too far.

We'll see. These buses are probably going to go through major work.

What I'm not getting here is, didn't Orion tell the MTA to get rid of those O6s?

Yep you read the title correctly the orion VI is coming back into service!! 6355-6359 was moved to ENY depot these buses were put back on the active roster will get new powertrain installed and sent to Staten Island!! From what ive heard they are at the ENY storage lot across the street from the ENY LIRR station. But the thing i dont get is why are they putting these buses back into service? They are like the bus version of the R110s i dont know why they are bringing these things back on the road. Maybe its due to the bus shortage...

there was an orion 6?

Wow this is truly shocking. I wasn't expecting that at all since they recently tried to put these on sale. It would be an interesting sight to see these buses again but I won't believe it until there is proof :(. One thing for sure though is that they need an overhaul after being inactive for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Not to go off topic here, but what's the difference between an Orion VII and A Orion VI? I googled them and they both look the same.

Orion paid MTA to keep them out of service but I think the bus shortage called for desperate measures. It's not pretty, every type of bus except an RTS is braking down regularly (from what I've seen) and the O5's have been hit worst...

The Orion VI if I remember correctly, is 100% low-floor, has extremely comfortable seats (6350-53) and had the engine taking up room in the back of the bus on the left side. One problem I vaguely remember from a run on the M96 was the bus handles crowds worse than the O7's do.

Wonder what they are going to do with 6350-6354.

are there still Orion 6's painted in that scheme? or did they get rid of the black trim...that scheme proably would of looked nice on some other buses in their fleet.

I believe the buses never received any sort of repainting during their activity. So I do think some of the VI's have the black trims (some others don't).

are there still Orion 6's painted in that scheme? or did they get rid of the black trim...that scheme proably would of looked nice on some other buses in their fleet.

They're still like that, but deteriorated abit.

Well I can understand that, especially being outdoors for as long as they have been. Can't wait to see them rollin' again!

The exterior of the orion VI are fine. I went to visit them on spring break two weeks ago the exterior of those buses no need no work whatsoever. Same goes for the inside the only thing that needs major work are the engines.....

Blah! I hate those buses theyre so ugly looking..I dont even live there to like them, that just makes me like the Orion VII NG much.much more!

The orion VI looks MUCH better than those crappy orion VII. And the engine sounds cooler too like in this video.....

i wander which bus depot they are going and if they are getting the same powertrain (cummins isb with bae hybridrive) as the orion vii ng hybrid?

They are going to a depot in SI i dont know what depot in SI yet because the info hasnt came out yet.....

This is like utmost shocking. The MTA actually bringing the O6s back from the dead. I won't be surprised they get USDOT Numbers and put on the S89. But let me not take it too far.

We'll see. These buses are probably going to go through major work.

What I'm not getting here is, didn't Orion tell the MTA to get rid of those O6s?

Orion had (MTA) pull them from service because the Lockheed Hybrid System and batteries expired. This was around the time Orion went with BAE for the Orion VII. I thought they would be sold or go back to Orion.

there was an orion 6?

Gotta have 6 before 7:D

Not to go off topic here, but what's the difference between an Orion VII and A Orion VI? I googled them and they both look the same.
The 6 and 7 favor, but do not look alike to me, plus the 6 is a "True Low Floor" all the way to the back.

The orion VI looks MUCH better than those crappy orion VII. And the engine sounds cooler too like in this video.....

The buses will most likely not sound like that because that is a CNG model and the ones in NYC are hybrids. One problem with those buses is that they hold less people and may not work well on high capacity routes.

Archived