The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Umm, not every hitter is gonna be Babe Ruth or Albert Pujols. Some hitters contribute by knocking 30 HRs a year and some hitters contribute by hitting .300 and getting 200 hits a year. Why would you attack a guy who has hit in the clutch and won you 5 titles in 15 years?
To add on to my point, look at all the fan bases who have gone years without championships. Case in point: To show you how young I am, the Pirates have never had a winning season in my lifetime. I have lived long enough to see the death of Osama Bin Laden, but not long enough to see a Pirates winning season. That is a mind numbing fact. People my age have never seen a single winning season (82+ wins) of Pirates baseball. They have managed to lose for 18 straight years in a sport with NO SALARY CAP! If Clint Hurdle manages to carry that team to 82 wins, he by default should get Manager of the Year. Meanwhile, people my age have seen 5 Yankee WS Titles (not that I have anything against that (I am not one of the yahoos who believe the Yankees buy titles)). People my age believe that baseball=Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies. People my age do not even give a flying **** about baseball sans the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies. We as New Yorkers (especially Yankees fans) should be thanking God for people like Derek Jeter for giving this city that many titles (and I say this as a die-hard Mets fan).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be getting old:p. I do remember a then 'kid' Barry Bonds (pre steriods) leading the Pirates to the playoffs 3 straight seasons in the early '90's.

They should have won at least 1x (they blew it in '92 NLCS to the Braves in all time classic game 7.)

Was too young though to remember the Willie Stragel 1979 World Series winning team.:P

To add on to my point, look at all the fan bases who have gone years without championships. Case in point: To show you how young I am, the Pirates have never had a winning season in my lifetime. I have lived long enough to see the death of Osama Bin Laden, but not long enough to see a Pirates winning season. That is a mind numbing fact. People my age have never seen a single winning season (82+ wins) of Pirates baseball. They have manage to lose for 18 straight years in a sport with NO SALARY CAP! If Clint Hurdle manages to carry that team to 82 wins, he by default should get Manager of the Year. Meanwhile, people my age have seen 5 Yankee WS Titles (not that I have anything against that (I am not one of the yahoos who believe the Yankees buy titles)). People my age believe that baseball=Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies. People my age do not even give a flying **** about baseball sans the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies. We as New Yorkers (especially Yankees fans) should be thanking God for people like Derek Jeter for giving this city that many titles (and I say this as a die-hard Mets fan).

The only player in any sports league who was as worshipped as Jeter was Michael Jordan, and Jordan deserved the accolades. It's sickening how an overrated singles hitter became an "icon".

A few things:

1. Unlike many players nowadays who come and go, Jeter stayed with the Yankees, no matter what, giving fans a throwback to the days when players stayed on one team for their entire careers (although this was forced by owners via the infamous reserve clause).

2. Although he's not a home run hitter, he's a top of the lineup guy who could get on base and let the power hitters bring him in, thus setting up early leads often.

3. Good camera-friendly personality, an image friendly for families and females (with good looks and barely any bad temper in a league that has seen many jerkoff players like Barry Bonds, Albert Belle, and Milton Bradley during Jeter's career), along with the off-field charities (like the Turn2 Foundation) and constant appearances across the media result in Jeter being adored and glorified in New York and all over the world.

Umm, not every hitter is gonna be Babe Ruth or Albert Pujols. Some hitters contribute by knocking 30 HRs a year and some hitters contribute by hitting .300 and getting 200 hits a year. Why would you attack a guy who has hit in the clutch and won you 5 titles in 15 years?

Jeter didn't win the titles by himself. He had a supporting cast (Bernie, O'Neill, Tino, Mo Rivera, Teixeira, CC Sabathia). What makes me sick is that somehow Jeter supersedes all of those guys.

FG is not a 'real' Yankee fan and a bandwagon jumper IMO. I am sure if he around then he would say something negative about Roberto Clemente, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and Joe " D" who were all not exactly 'power' hitters either. While I agree he is overrated for immortal player, he still a HOF.

Still think FG is jealous of Jeter for some reason.:confused:

wrong

To add on to my point, look at all the fan bases who have gone years without championships. Case in point: To show you how young I am, the Pirates have never had a winning season in my lifetime. I have lived long enough to see the death of Osama Bin Laden, but not long enough to see a Pirates winning season. That is a mind numbing fact. People my age have never seen a single winning season (82+ wins) of Pirates baseball. They have manage to lose for 18 straight years in a sport with NO SALARY CAP! If Clint Hurdle manages to carry that team to 82 wins, he by default should get Manager of the Year. Meanwhile, people my age have seen 5 Yankee WS Titles (not that I have anything against that (I am not one of the yahoos who believe the Yankees buy titles)). People my age believe that baseball=Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies. People my age do not even give a flying **** about baseball sans the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies. We as New Yorkers (especially Yankees fans) should be thanking God for people like Derek Jeter for giving this city that many titles (and I say this as a die-hard Mets fan).

If Derek Jeter hit .350 with 35 homers and 120 RBI's then I could understand him getting this much praise. But the fact is, he never won a regular season MVP and he only reached 100 RBI's once. IMO, Jeter is not as talented as Bernie Williams.

A few things:

1. Unlike many players nowadays who come and go, Jeter stayed with the Yankees, no matter what, giving fans a throwback to the days when players stayed on one team for their entire careers (although this was forced by owners via the infamous reserve clause).

2. Although he's not a home run hitter, he's a top of the lineup guy who could get on base and let the power hitters bring him in, thus setting up early leads often.

3. Good camera-friendly personality, an image friendly for families and females (with good looks and barely any bad temper in a league that has seen many jerkoff players like Barry Bonds, Albert Belle, and Milton Bradley during Jeter's career), along with the off-field charities (like the Turn2 Foundation) and constant appearances across the media result in Jeter being adored and glorified in New York and all over the world.

1) After Jeter signed that ridiculous 10 year, 189 million dollar contract back in 2001 it was IMPOSSIBLE to trade him, even after his mediocre seasons in 2002, 2004, and 2008. It had nothing to do with loyalty

2) So does Ichiro, but Ichiro isn't worshipped like Jeter

3) Anyone who would choose Jeter over Albert Belle needs their head examined

The only player in any sports league who was as worshipped as Jeter was Michael Jordan, and Jordan deserved the accolades. It's sickening how an overrated singles hitter became an "icon".

Are you forgetting Dale Earnhardt Jr. in NASCAR? He has over $40 million in merchandise revenue (most drivers get $7 or $8 million), and has been voted most popular driver seven years in a row. And like jeter, Junior has been severely overestimated by the media and press. He has never won a championchip, only has 18 or 19 wins, and has only two top five season finishes. It is unlikely that he would have recieved this praise if his last name was anything but Earnhardt. (for non-nascar fans, Dale Earnhardt Sr. won a record-tying 7 championchips, 76 races, and has led over 25,000 laps. His death in 2001 has caused many of his former fans to go to Junior, hence the latter's newfound popularity).

Jeter was not alone, he had all-star Yankee teams to back him up in those 15 years. I give a flying **** about baseball sans Yankees, Phillies, and RedSox. And I don't see why we should be thanking Jeter for something that he likely could never have done at a team like, i don't know, the Nationals. (That actually would be awesome to see...;))

Shortline Bus: The 2011 Pirates are beginning to look like the "real thing": After 87 games, the Pirates are 45-42 (21-21 at home), good for third place in the N.L. Central and only a game and a half behind the Cards.

While I don't think the eventual N.L. Central winner will win with only, say, 85 wins, it would be sweet if these Pirates finished, say, 83-79 or 84-78. This is refreshing and helping to make 2011 memorable.

The Captain is three hits away.

Must be getting old:p. I do remember a then 'kid' Barry Bonds (pre steriods) leading the Pirates to the playoffs 3 straight seasons in the early '90's.

They should have won at least 1x (they blew it in '92 NLCS to the Braves in all time classic game 7.)

Was too young though to remember the Willie Stragel 1979 World Series winning team.;)

Look, I am am not denying that Jeter has had great guys around him (That is probably the reason why Jeter never won MVP). However, Leonard, he has gotten clutch hits and won you 5 World Series titles! Do you know how many fan bases would die to have a guy who could win their team 5 World Series Titles?

Look, I am am not denying that Jeter has had great guys around him (That is probably the reason why Jeter never won MVP). However, Leonard, he has gotten clutch hits and won you 5 World Series titles! Do you know how many fan bases would die to have a guy who could win their team 5 World Series Titles?

Again, it would be next to impossible for a guy like Jeter to win 5 world series for a team like the Nationals or Royals. Jeter may have been outstanding in October, but it was his teammates that ultimately carried through and won it with Jeter.

Jeter didn't win the titles by himself. He had a supporting cast (Bernie, O'Neill, Tino, Mo Rivera, Teixeira, CC Sabathia). What makes me sick is that somehow Jeter supersedes all of those guys.

wrong

If Derek Jeter hit .350 with 35 homers and 120 RBI's then I could understand him getting this much praise. But the fact is, he never won a regular season MVP and he only reached 100 RBI's once. IMO, Jeter is not as talented as Bernie Williams.

1) After Jeter signed that ridiculous 10 year, 189 million dollar contract back in 2001 it was IMPOSSIBLE to trade him, even after his mediocre seasons in 2002, 2004, and 2008. It had nothing to do with loyalty

Nope you wrong. You know FG I am a fair minded guy and never said Jeter was Mantle, Ruth, etc.

With that said, both yours and SIsubway does not hold water that much on comments "Jeter only is this popular cause his teams are in the playoffs every year.'

Plus in 2007(correct me if I am wrong) he finished 2nd in the AL MVP voting. Not every HOF wins that award.

True. However you can say the same for these Yankee HOF's/so called greats in pre-free agency era that also made the WS every year. Before 1968 in pre-playoff era the AL and NL champs made the world series(NO LCS or 1st round-LDS)so they alse became famous because of it.

Phil Rizzuto, Billy Martin, Bill Dickey, Joe D(to me this is what Jeter reminds me alot of but with a much longer carrer)Thurman Munson, Elston Howard, etc.

just to name a few players.

FG you lose this argument. While I like Jeter I am not a diehard fan of his either and thinks he should already be batting lower in the lineup i.e 7th or

8th right now in 2011. With that said say 5 years from now when the Yanks are maybe only a 500 team(Hate to say it but the Yanks IMO will soon have a 'down period' replacing A Rod, Jeter, Posada and Mo)you be wishing Jeter was still on the team.

FYI Albert Belle was out of baseball by the middle of last decade as he was not a good defensive player. Granted at his peak he was a brilliant offensive HR 'machine.' Not to mention Belle was an A@@@H@L@.

Are you forgetting Dale Earnhardt Jr. in NASCAR? He has over $40 million in merchandise revenue (most drivers get $7 or $8 million), and has been voted most popular driver seven years in a row. And like jeter, Junior has been severely overestimated by the media and press. He has never won a championchip, only has 18 or 19 wins, and has only two top five season finishes. It is unlikely that he would have recieved this praise if his last name was anything but Earnhardt. (for non-nascar fans, Dale Earnhardt Sr. won a record-tying 7 championchips, 76 races, and has led over 25,000 laps. His death in 2001 has caused many of his former fans to go to Junior, hence the latter's newfound popularity).

NASCAR is not a real sport. I have to get back to class, but I'll comment more later...

NASCAR is not a real sport.

I'm sorry, but can you drive a car at 190 miles per hour in 140* heat and not crash? Thought not. I take offense to your comment, and I will put you on my ignore list, when I figure out if there is one (I'm still somewhat new).

Again, it would be next to impossible for a guy like Jeter to win 5 world series for a team like the Nationals or Royals. Jeter may have been outstanding in October, but it was his teammates that ultimately carried through and won it with Jeter.

What does it matter? It's pointless to guess how he would've done if on some other team. Jeter may not be a slugger like ARod or Texiera are, but his defense against the A's in 2001 kept the Yankees in that series which they eventually won. So don't tell me he didn't contribue anything. Even Aaron Boone who did nothing in his whole period with the Yankees made it all go away by hitting the game winning homer in the 2003 ALCS.

Talk like that shows bitterness against a single player on a great team. And by no means am i a 'worshiper' of Jeter, I think the hatred lumped on him is because people here are jealous of his situation. Concidering players like 'Painvano', Karsay, Wright, etc who were often injured, Jeter is worth at least most of that money. He could easily wuss out by going on the dl and collect his check, but he still plays on.

I'm sorry, but can you drive a car at 190 miles per hour in 140* heat and not crash? Thought not. I take offense to your comment, and I will put you on my ignore list, when I figure out if there is one (I'm still somewhat new).

He has always thought of Nascar that way. Nothing new. I've made similar comments like that about can he drive a car at that speed and not crash. I'd rank Nascar as a sport before I ever do of golf.

I do believe Earnhart Jr is overrated because of his father's name.

What does it matter? It's pointless to guess how he would've done if on some other team. Jeter may not be a slugger like ARod or Texiera are, but his defense against the A's in 2001 kept the Yankees in that series which they eventually won. So don't tell me he didn't contribue anything. Even Aaron Boone who did nothing in his whole period with the Yankees made it all go away by hitting the game winning homer in the 2003 ALCS.

Talk like that shows bitterness against a single player on a great team.

I was not doubting Jeter's contributions to the team, or his playing ability, but I am doubting the fact that he was the one who "won" five world series. Other players contributed just as much, if not more. I was using the Nationals and Royals as comparisons, to show that Jeter could not have won it alone. I have great respect for Jeter, but I do think he is at times overrated.

Ok, now that is understandable. [ps, i edited my post, so there's more stuff you might want to comment back to].

I'm not going to say Jeter by himself won those championships either, but he's done his share to keep his team in the playoffs to win. For that he should be praised for his part.

As for FG, he thinks any small bit of 'praise' for Jeter is 'worshiping' because he's so damn negative about some aspects. It's black and white [and no shades of grey] with him. It's either hate or like Jeter.

Like others have brought up: FG bashed anyone that dared diss Lebron James after the Finals was done. I mean James showed how immature he was with that 'people will keep on hatin and their lives will go on' comment. I can respect James the player, not the immature childish brat that he is.

Ok, now that is understandable. [ps, i edited my post, so there's more stuff you might want to comment back to].

I'm not going to say Jeter by himself won those championships either, but he's done his share to keep his team in the playoffs to win. For that he should be praised for his part.

As for FG, he thinks any small bit of 'praise' for Jeter is 'worshiping' because he's so damn negative about some aspects. It's black and white [and no shades of grey] with him. It's either hate or like Jeter.

Like others have brought up: FG bashed anyone that dared diss Lebron James after the Finals was done. I mean James showed how immature he was with that 'people will keep on hatin and their lives will go on' comment. I can respect James the player, not the immature childish brat that he is.

Could not say it better myself. :tup:

He has always thought of Nascar that way. Nothing new. I've made similar comments like that about can he drive a car at that speed and not crash. I'd rank Nascar as a sport before I ever do of golf.

1) Derek Jeter's Flip in Oakland was spectacular, but Torii Hunter makes plays like that almost everyday yet it's no big deal. I didn't say Jeter was complete garbage. He is Hall of Fame material. What I'm saying is that people treat him like he's the baseball version of Jordan when in reality he's the baseball version of John Stockton.

I'm sorry, but can you drive a car at 190 miles per hour in 140* heat and not crash? Thought not.

Drag racers in Brooklyn drive cars really fast. Are they athletes?

I take offense to your comment, and I will put you on my ignore list, when I figure out if there is one (I'm still somewhat new).

I'm sorry. Are you someone important?

Drag racers in Brooklyn drive cars really fast. Are they athletes?

Actually, I do also consider Drag racers athletes, as much as Nascar drivers are.

I'm sorry. Are you someone important?

What is that supposed to mean?

1) Derek Jeter's Flip in Oakland was spectacular, but Torii Hunter makes plays like that almost everyday yet it's no big deal. I didn't say Jeter was complete garbage. He is Hall of Fame material. What I'm saying is that people treat him like he's the baseball version of Jordan when in reality he's the baseball version of John Stockton.

Um, but can Torii Hunter play SS and do that flip when it decides if the team goes home or lives for one more game? Just because Hunter can do it 'daily', doesn't diminish that play Jeter made when it was crunch time in the playoffs.

Of course people are going to focus more attention on Jeter now, how many players get a chance to go for 3000 hits? After that the media attention will likely go away. It's the same deal when ARod was going for his 600th homer, after that the attention went away. Just deal with it is all i can say.

Jeter is the face of the franchise and as others mentioned, given the cheaters and jerks, Jeter is a nice change from those other players. Why shouldn't people at least look up to him? Respect the person even if his skills aren't quite up to par.

Bernie wasn't as popular as Jeter b/c he played the game soundly, while being humble about his.... The media finds players like that, boring.... Those types never get the fair props/coverage they deserve.....

O'neill & Tino came from other organizations (Reds, Mariners respectively), so that eliminates them right there (as possibly gettin more praise than Jeter)....

#1, Tex & CC didn't come up as Yankees either.... and #2, they're still currently playing....Tex & CC are in their early 30's, Jeter is 37.... of course they're not gonna be put on a similar, or higher pedestal....

....and I don't see where ppl. supersede Jeter over Mo; Who's callin Jeter the greatest shortstop of all time (don't tell me some delusional Jeter stan either, that doesn't count)... Compare that to the # of people that consider Mo the greatest closer of all time....

Yes, Jeter is overrated... We get it... Enough.... You keep bringin him up in your little snarky remarks....

Ichiro doesn't have these numbers either.... but he should be worshipped like Jeter too huh? See how stupid that logic is....

1- agreed

2- Ichiro plays for a small market team; he's not gonna get that same level of praise.... let's not make like Ichiro doesn't get any type of praise at all... He gets similar praise out in Seattle, similar to Griffey Jr. did....

3- different type of player...

If I needed a 4, I'd choose Belle

If I needed a 1 or 2, I'd choose Jeter....

Anyone that would have Jeter batting cleanup & Belle batting leadoff needs to have their heads examined.....

You don't have to say he's complete garbage.....

When you keep minimizing his accomplishments, and bringing up other players & comparing their accomplishments to (your minimization of Jeter's accomplishments), you sure don't convey the idea that you think he is HOF material....

Talk like that shows bitterness against a single player on a great team. And by no means am i a 'worshiper' of Jeter, I think the hatred lumped on him is because people here are jealous of his situation. Concidering players like 'Painvano', Karsay, Wright, etc who were often injured, Jeter is worth at least most of that money. He could easily wuss out by going on the dl and collect his check, but he still plays on.

I love how Jeter has to put up slugger type numbers in his mind for him to be deserving of the high praises he gets.... I don't think it's him being jealous of Jeter though....

....and about Earnhardt Jr, I can't stand the guy - he is livin off his father's name... Dam near every race, he comes in 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th.... He's not a great driver.....

Jeter is the face of the franchise and as others mentioned, given the cheaters and jerks, Jeter is a nice change from those other players. Why shouldn't people at least look up to him? Respect the person even if his skills aren't quite up to par.

That is honestly how I feel. I like Jeter the person, i just happen to feel that Jeter the player is overrated, especially in 2011.

....and about Earnhardt Jr, I can't stand the guy - he is livin off his father's name... Dam near every race, he comes in 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th.... He's not a great driver.....

Usually, it's not even that high. His average finish this year is 13th, and at his lowest in 2009 he had an average finish of 22nd. He also has not won a race since 2008! If that doesn't prove, along with the stuff I said before, that Junior should not be put in the same category as his father, Richard Petty, and Jimmie Johnson, nothing will. Let him win 30 more races and a championchip and come back to me on whether he's a great driver.

But lets get back to baseball...(maybe I'll start a thread for NASCAR talk...)

Archived