The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

As you all know, I'm a Mets fan, but congrats to Jeter for getting his 3,000th hit. That game will be a "Yankees Classic" on the YES network for many years to come.

I can't remember a game YES ever reaired where they lost the game, but a 5 for 5 game where Jeter gets #3000 would be pretty tough to omit had they lost. thankfully the game ended with a win. A win thanks to Jeter providing the offense. So here's proof that Jeter can 'win a game'.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't remember a game YES ever reaired where they lost the game, but a 5 for 5 game where Jeter gets #3000 would be pretty tough to omit had they lost. thankfully the game ended with a win. A win thanks to Jeter providing the offense. So here's proof that Jeter can 'win a game'.

Not to get off topic but Mike Francesa recently on his show said the same thing and made this suggestion. That "Yes" on "Yankee Classic' rebroadcasts should show occaional games the Bombers lost as well. And yet Francesa is a so called Super Yankee fan.

Some of those great games the Yanks lost that should be shown again include: the 1960 Game 7 Finale with the Bill Mazeroski walk off, game 7 2001 world series

and of course the infamous but landmark 2004 Red Sox-Yanks ALCS.

I know i get into trouble by other Yankee fans for saying this. However those games should be on "Yankees Classics" since they were all histroric games worth watching again.

there's a difference between should and does. So therefore, I assume Yes doesn't show losses then. I sure as hell dont want to relive game 7 of 2004.

WS, Game 7 of 2001, maybe.

So Nova are you saying Jeter can maybe get to 3,900-4,000 and make a run at Cobb or even Rose if he has '3 good years?

Why are you still asking that question? No one knows that far in the future. Ask again if/when Jeter gets 3500 hits first. there's a long while to go till anyone can guess if he'll reach Pete Rose's numbers.

In other news, Cliff Lee hits his first career home run!!

Anyway, congrats to Jeter for getting #3,000. Even though I dislike the Yankees, he is one of the key figures for the Yankees and it is great to see such a classy player to reach that milestone.

I love it when pitchers hit home runs, simply because it's not something you see every day, so a heartfelt congrats to him.

And since we were talking about broadcasters earlier, I also loved the commentary from the FOX color commentator (mlb.com is really great for watching clips now). Unfortunately it wasn't from the Buck -- McCarver team.

"Oh no. No. Are you kidding me? Wow."

Absolutely brilliant.

yankees rewind? yeah they show games where they lose....

I don't watch em though.... lol...

yankees classics don't show games where they lose....

Not to get off topic but Mike Francesa recently on his show said the same thing and made this suggestion. That "Yes" on "Yankee Classic' rebroadcasts should show occaional games the Bombers lost as well. And yet Francesa is a so called Super Yankee fan.

Some of those great games the Yanks lost that should be shown again include: the 1960 Game 7 Finale with the Bill Mazeroski walk off, game 7 2001 world series

and of course the infamous but landmark 2004 Red Sox-Yanks ALCS.

I know i get into trouble by other Yankee fans for saying this. However those games should be on "Yankees Classics" since they were all histroric games worth watching again.

Mike Francesa is a Red Sox fan disguised as a Yankee fan b/c he's a sports broadcaster in New York.... that's another breed of fan I can't stand... Watching MMD over the years, I've came to that conclusion... He's quick to say that the Red Sox are the better team, they have a better offense/lineup, their fans are the best group of fans he's ever seen... little comments here & there that oozes out his true devotion.....He knows as much as he does about the Yankees past & present b/c he's a baseball historian.....

I don't expect him to wax poetic about the Yankees (Boomer Esiason being the NY homer that he was, I find that irritating also), but fat boy Francesa aint a Yankee fan.... It's similar to someone working in citifield, full knowin they're a Yankee fan (for example).... You have to kinda sorta fake like you have interest in the Met organization, in order to keep your job....

Yankees classics, they should just take off the air.... they show the same dam games over & over again..... it's like, they can't show anything too old, or else the younger crowd wont watch it.... but they show too much of the recent stuff (anything from '95, onward)....

Why are you still asking that question? No one knows that far in the future. Ask again if/when Jeter gets 3500 hits first. there's a long while to go till anyone can guess if he'll reach Pete Rose's numbers.

hell with that former cincinnatti reds player... mentioning his name is givin him more recognition than he deserves...

Far as Jeter... Let's just revel in 3000; That's the number of the day !

I saw a pitcher hit a home run at a Lehigh Valley IronPigs (AAA) game last week. I rofl'd.

So Nova are you saying Jeter can maybe get to 3,900-4,000 and make a run at Cobb or even Rose if he has '3 good years?

No way. He might make 3,700 at a stretch, but there's no way Jeter will beat Cobb or Rose. They set the bar too dang high. Jeter's probably either going to be released or will retire within the next 4 years, and I don't think that he can keep his hit level up the way he has been in the last 15. I see him getting 190 next year, 175 the year after, and by then he'll be relegated to a backup. I see him sent down in 2014 to the Scranton Yankees for two years, the Trenton Thunder for the next season, and then retiring for good in 2017.

No way. He might make 3,700 at a stretch, but there's no way Jeter will beat Cobb or Rose. They set the bar too dang high. Jeter's probably either going to be released or will retire within the next 4 years, and I don't think that he can keep his hit level up the way he has been in the last 15. I see him getting 190 next year, 175 the year after, and by then he'll be relegated to a backup. I see him sent down in 2014 to the Scranton Yankees for two years, the Trenton Thunder for the next season, and then retiring for good in 2017.

Not possible. Jeter is pretty obviously out of options. The only way he could go to the minors is if he is designated for assignment, no one picks him off waivers, and he gives his consent, and you know the Yankees aren't going to do that.

w/ 9K's, CC pitches a 1-0 CG SO....

for the non baseball savvy, that's:

"with 9 strikeouts, CC (Sabathia) pitches a complete game shutout... and the final score was 1-0"

(lol)

today's game only took 2 hrs, 11 mins.... That may be the quickest Yankee game this season so far...

I'm glad he's not in the ASG.... This is some run he's been on...

Even though I think the "quality start" stat is BS, he's racked up a couple of them in a row....

w/ 9K's, CC pitches a 1-0 CG SO....

for the non baseball savvy, that's:

"with 9 strikeouts, CC (Sabathia) pitches a complete game shutout... and the final score was 1-0"

(lol)

today's game only took 2 hrs, 11 mins.... That may be the quickest Yankee game this season so far...

I'm glad he's not in the ASG.... This is some run he's been on...

Even though I think the "quality start" stat is BS, he's racked up a couple of them in a row....

These last couple of years since 2008 (end of the 'juice' aka cough Steroids era)has been a complete different ballgame in mlb. Next you know Tom Seaver, Juan Marchial, Vida Blue and Rollie Fingers are pitching again.

This is almost like a game say between the years 1968-'75 when pitching defense and timely hitting ruled the game.

Not possible. Jeter is pretty obviously out of options. The only way he could go to the minors is if he is designated for assignment, no one picks him off waivers, and he gives his consent, and you know the Yankees aren't going to do that.

Well, if Jeter was in Scranton, think of all the Scranton souvenir sales that would skyrocket. Plus, Jeter probably won't deserve to be in the majors by 2014 or 2015. And why would the Yankees need consent? 2014 is his contract year, and I'm sure that the Yankees won't re-sign him for the Majors if he keeps dropping. Either it's minors or another team, and we know that Jeter won't want to sign with another team. Refer to Darrell Waltrip and Willie Mays a few pages back.

Well, if Jeter was in Scranton, think of all the Scranton souvenir sales that would skyrocket. Plus, Jeter probably won't deserve to be in the majors by 2014 or 2015. And why would the Yankees need consent? 2014 is his contract year, and I'm sure that the Yankees won't re-sign him for the Majors if he keeps dropping. Either it's minors or another team, and we know that Jeter won't want to sign with another team. Refer to Darrell Waltrip and Willie Mays a few pages back.

A player who has been in the majors for five years must give consent before being sent down to the minors. Jeter's been up since 1995, just a tad more than five years.

Well, if not mentioned alread, Robertson will get the respect he deserves and is going to the ASG, but in place of Price. But either way, props to Robertson, he deserves it - the way Hughes did last year.

Also, awesome game by CC. A cg shutout and wow! I had no idea the game was that short. Nice!

Well, if not mentioned alread, Robertson will get the respect he deserves and is going to the ASG, but in place of Price. But either way, props to Robertson, he deserves it - the way Hughes did last year.

Also, awesome game by CC. A cg shutout and wow! I had no idea the game was that short. Nice!

I love games like that, yet comparing today's game to a Red Sox Yankee game OTOH....

A player who has been in the majors for five years must give consent before being sent down to the minors. Jeter's been up since 1995, just a tad more than five years.

Oh, I thought it had to do with his contract. And Jeter's not going to another team, so he probably will retire sometime around 2014.

One last thing guys on the Jeter 3,000 hits. Should the guy who caught it kept it and get at least tens of thousands on the 'open market?"

Or Do the 'honorable thing' as he has done and give it back to Jeter 'for free?"

Not exactly 'free' as he got a ton of goodies that listed in article below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/07/09/2011-07-09_derek_jeters_3000_hit_ball_nabbed_by_luckiest_fan_highland_mills_resident_christ.html

One last thing guys on the Jeter 3,000 hits. Should the guy who caught it kept it and get at least tens of thousands on the 'open market?"

Or Do the 'honorable thing' as he has done and give it back to Jeter 'for free?"

Not exactly 'free' as he got a ton of goodies that listed in article below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/07/09/2011-07-09_derek_jeters_3000_hit_ball_nabbed_by_luckiest_fan_highland_mills_resident_christ.html

Way I see it, what choice would he have had ?

They don't let the players keep the balls/bats that end up in the stands anyway.... Yankee staff hounds you down, and offers you other items, such as a "regular" ball and/or bat, signed photos (which they have in stock), and some other amenities that they feel is fair value....

They do that so you don't hock the original items on ebay or w/e, makin money off the Yankee franchise at their expense.....

Way I see it, what choice would he have had ?

They don't let the players keep the balls/bats that end up in the stands anyway.... Yankee staff hounds you down, and offers you other items, such as a "regular" ball and/or bat, signed photos (which they have in stock), and some other amenities that they feel is fair value....

They do that so you don't hock the original items on ebay or w/e, makin money off the Yankee franchise at their expense.....

Personally I don't understand after reading reader blogs in papers like the NY Daily News and USA Today why people are calling mr. lopez insane and that he blew 'winning the lottery' in giving up the ball. It's his choice.

Getting luxury suites for rest of the season and probably playoff tickets alone is worth as much as at least $5,000.

Personally I don't understand after reading reader blogs in papers like the NY Daily News and USA Today why people are calling mr. lopez insane and that he blew 'winning the lottery' in giving up the ball. It's his choice.

Getting luxury suites for rest of the season and probably playoff tickets alone is worth as much as at least $5,000.

Although he sounds like a modest guy, I think Mr. Lopez is lyin his behind off when he says he wanted Jeter to have to have that ball basically b/c he "worked so hard for it" (talkin about 3000), yada yada yada....

Now I'm not implying that he would be the type to sell it for an instant payday.... but I think he would've kept the ball as a keepsake, since he's this big Jeter fan... This idea that he's so willing to give the ball up to Jeter, no questions asked, I'm not buying.....

I think he knew he was gonna be pressured to giving the ball up....

A few surprises, I think, as we arrive at the 2011 All-Star break:

1) The Pittsburgh Pirates are not only winning, but competing (true, it's the 2011 National League Central Division, but still.......). The Pirates are 47-43 (23-22 at home) and 1 game behind the Brewers and the Cardinals and 3 games ahead of the Reds.

2) The Milwaukee Brewers are winning and tied for the National League Central Division lead. The Brewers are 49-43 (33-14 at home)

3) The Nationals are successful. In a National League East Division where the Phillies have taken off and the Braves have returned to health, the Nats are 46-46 (28-18 at home).

4) The Rays are successful. Despite losing Mr. Crawford (to the Red Sox), the Rays find themselves in third place and 49-41 (22-21 at home).

I'm genuinely happy for The Captain! Congratulations on a job well done! Not only did Mr. Derek Jeter earn his 3,000th hit of his fine career, but all 3,000 hits are as a Yankee, making this even sweeter on being the very first-ever New York Yankees (1903 - ) player to join the 3000 Hits Club.

I' glad he finally got his hit,because now the local news could finally STFU about it now!

A few surprises, I think, as we arrive at the 2011 All-Star break:

1) The Pittsburgh Pirates are not only winning, but competing (true, it's the 2011 National League Central Division, but still.......). The Pirates are 47-43 (23-22 at home) and 1 game behind the Brewers and the Cardinals and 3 games ahead of the Reds.

2) The Milwaukee Brewers are winning and tied for the National League Central Division lead. The Brewers are 49-43 (33-14 at home)

3) The Nationals are successful. In a National League East Division where the Phillies have taken off and the Braves have returned to health, the Nats are 46-46 (28-18 at home).

4) The Rays are successful. Despite losing Mr. Crawford (to the Red Sox), the Rays find themselves in third place and 49-41 (22-21 at home).

Add this one to your list...

5) The Arizona Diamondbacks, who were 34-55 before the All-Star break in 2010, are now 49-43 (3 games behind defending champion San Francisco). This success is thanks in part to established cogs like Chris Young and Justin Upton (despite losing Mark Reynolds in the off-season) being joined by breakout pitchers Daniel Hudson (who came over from the White Sox for Edwin Jackson the past year) and Ian Kennedy (a former Yankee traded to the D'Backs as part of the three-team deal that sent Curtis Granderson to the Bronx).

Well, it was bound to happen that Ian Kennedy would do well. I was surprised the tigers earlier this year actually tried to stretch out Phil Coke into a starter after being mainly a reliever for the Yankees. Thank god for Granderson's breakout year this first half or I'd be having my doubts about that trade.

Archived