The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

rest of those guys I'm dismissing... after A-Rod, we may never see another 3k hitter again

Or at least not for a while. You seem to forget about up-and-coming young guns who could also take a shot at 3,000.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IINM, you'd think Ichiro would have a good shot, since he's also a singles hitter (basically)... but he's turning 38 later this year...I can't see him still pumping 200 hits/season at age 40....

What scary is that if Ichiro had played here in the major league his entire career (say starting at age 21-22)instead of playing his first few seasons in Japan he would be closing in or even could have broken Rose's record by now.

Not to get off topic. Can some of these stats people stop combining the North American Majors with Japan Baseball records:tdown:? I saw recently on Sportscenter when Matusi hit a HR it was his 400th-500th(combined US and Japan #'s)and was mentioned.

The Japan majors should stay a separte record from the American Major Leagues IMO. Just like I always felt that world series and playoff stats in MLB should be separte post season marks. Like Manny Ramierz with most post season HR's ever (combined playoff and world series hr's):(:tdown:

Or at least not for a while. You seem to forget about up-and-coming young guns who could also take a shot at 3,000.

I didn't forget em, I'm not considering em.... Not even that arrogant loudmouth Bryce Harper.....

The same way I see no current or future SP ever gettin 300 wins... that's including CC Sabathia...

What scary is that if Ichiro had played here in the major league his entire career (say starting at age 21-22)instead of playing his first few seasons in Japan he would be closing in or even could have broken Rose's record by now.

Not to get off topic. Can some of these stats people stop combining the North American Majors with Japan Baseball records:tdown:? I saw recently on Sportscenter when Matusi hit a HR it was his 400th-500th(combined US and Japan #'s)and was mentioned.

The Japan majors should stay a separte record from the American Major Leagues IMO. Just like I always felt that world series and playoff stats in MLB should be separte post season marks. Like Manny Ramierz with most post season HR's ever (combined playoff and world series hr's):(:tdown:

A WS game is still a postseason game, so I side w/ the MLB with that one...

However, combining stats from different professional leagues, I hate when SC makes a mention of that also.... While we're at it, let's combine Kurt Warner's Arena football league stats w/ his NFL stats - statistically, he'd be the greatest passer of all time.....

I, for one, would love to see the Nippon Baseball League be affiliated with the MLB, but it should have seperate stats, and stats should only be combined of someone wants to show it for novelty.

I, for one, would love to see the Nippon Baseball League be affiliated with the MLB, but it should have seperate stats, and stats should only be combined of someone wants to show it for novelty.

Actually down the road within 10-20 years (call me nuts which i am:p ) i could see 1-2 'new' MLB teams in Tokyo. More than likely an 'expansion' club or also an existing "Nippon' team like the Tokyo Giants joining. Provided of course if airline travel from between NY/the US East Coast and Japan is lowered to no more than 7-8 hours(currently in 2011 it's about 10-12 hours travel time.)

And back for a minute to the stats thing. B35 it's true World series games are 'post season' games. However, prior to 1969, there was no LDS(1st round)or LCS. Thus if a player from Ruth to Mays and Aaron had expanded playoff rounds when they played, they might had 50-80 carrer playoff homers. That why i suggested the WS been a separte record for players from the rest of the existing post season.

Even in the NFL to show i been constant on this issue, i always felt that a record seperate should be kept from the super bowl, playoffs and regular season as well.

Actually down the road within 10-20 years (call me nuts which i am:p ) i could see 1-2 'new' MLB teams in Tokyo. More than likely an 'expansion' club or a existing "Nippon' team like the Tokyo Giants joining. Provided of course if airline travel from between NY/the US East Coast and Japan is lowered to no more than 7-8 hours(currently in 2011 it's about 10-12 hours travel time.)

Okay, you're nuts.:( I personally think that the Nippon Baseball League will become affiliated with the MLB and become something of a AAA series, except that none of the teams would become part of an MLB franchise. There could be an MLB game in Japan one day, but not until 2035, at earliest. There's too much distance between Japan and North America. However, I could see a team in Hawaii, Puerto Rico or a foreign nation that is closer as a future expansion or relocation site.

And it's not neccesary to put Nippon in quotes, Nippon (or 日本の) is Japanese for Japan.

Okay, you're nuts.:( I personally think that the Nippon Baseball League will become affiliated with the MLB and become something of a AAA series, except that none of the teams would become part of an MLB franchise. There could be an MLB game in Japan one day, but not until 2035, at earliest. There's too much distance between Japan and North America. However, I could see a team in Hawaii, Puerto Rico or a foreign nation that is closer as a future expansion or relocation site.

And it's not neccesary to put Nippon in quotes, Nippon (or 日本の) is Japanese for Japan.

Actually MLB has opened the season at the Tokyo Dome several times in last 15 years or so. The Mets (in 2000) and a few years back the Yanks both played their regular season openers in Japan.

We can agree to disagree subway. I am not saying it will happen 'tommorrow' i.e. 2-3 years from now. However I still have this gut feeling maybe 15-20 years from now a team or two from Japan will be a member of MLB.

Actually MLB has opened the season at the Tokyo Dome several times in last 15 years or so. The Mets (in 2000) and a few years back the Yanks both played their regular season openers in Japan.

We can agree to disagree subway. I am not saying it will happen 'tommorrow' i.e. 2-3 years from now. However I still have this gut feeling maybe 15-20 years from now a team or two from Japan will be a member of MLB.

I agree that there will eventually be a Japanese team in the MLB, just not in the next 15-20 years. Holding a season opener is alot different than having a full-time team there. In a one or two-game series, a visiting team can take a break the next day, but if a full time team is there, several off-days are needed, which would mean that the regular season would end sometime in october. Until we can get faster jets to make the travel time faster than 8-9 hours, I don't see a team in Japan interacting with American teams, at least not in the regular season.

I'm genuinely happy for The Captain! Congratulations on a job well done! Not only did Mr. Derek Jeter earn his 3,000th hit of his fine career, but all 3,000 hits are as a Yankee, making this even sweeter on being the very first-ever New York Yankees (1903 - ) player to join the 3000 Hits Club.

Here the now histroic 3,000 hit by derek jeter from Yes Network/Youtube. Knowing the $$$ Police at MLB.COM it will soon be taken down though.:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPRwiajPWk4

He got his 3,000th home run off a homer, how double-sweet!:(

Not only did Mr. Derek Jeter earn his 3,000th hit of his fine career, but all 3,000 hits are as a Yankee, making this even sweeter on being the very first-ever New York Yankees (1903 - ) player to join the 3000 Hits Club.

1903-1912 the Yankees were known as the Highlanders, so players during that time can't be counted.

I'm genuinely happy for The Captain! Congratulations on a job well done! Not only did Mr. Derek Jeter earn his 3,000th hit of his fine career, but all 3,000 hits are as a Yankee, making this even sweeter on being the very first-ever New York Yankees (1903 - ) player to join the 3000 Hits Club.

Actually Paul aka EE, you meant to say he the first Bronx Bomber to get 3,000 hits playing his entire career in pinstripes. Wade Boggs, Rickey Henderson and Dave Winfield also with 3,000-plus hits all played at least a portion of their HOF time in the Bronx though.

Actually Paul aka EE, you meant to say he the first Bronx Bomber to get 3,000 hits playing his entire career in pinstripes. Wade Boggs, Rickey Henderson and Dave Winfield also with 3,000-plus hits all played at least a portion of their HOF time in the Bronx though.

In addition to Henderson, Boggs, and Winfield, 3,000 hit club member Paul Waner played for the Yankees (although only getting 1 hit with them).

1903-1912 the Yankees were known as the Highlanders, so players during that time can't be counted.

Yes, they can. Jack Chesbro played for the Highlanders, yet he is still counted as part of Yankees history. A different name does not a different franchise make... unless they disown all their history as the Nats did when they moved from Montreal.

Let's be more specific with regards to Jeter: There are players who have gotten 3000 hits who had worn pinstripes before they reached the mark. Jeter is the first to do it while wearing them.

Yes, they can. Jack Chesbro played for the Highlanders, yet he is still counted as part of Yankees history. A different name does not a different franchise make... unless they disown all their history as the Nats did when they moved from Montreal.

True, but 70(EE) said Yankees specifically, not Yankees plus Highlanders. He also said that the Yankees played in 1903, which was my main point.

So dumb question guys? If Jeter can stay at this pace(let be honest it wont be a 'leadoff or #2 hitter probably past the season)could he pass Pete Rose?

Not gonna happen my friend.

He got his 3,000th home run off a homer, how double-sweet!:)

Dumb Question:eek:. The Yankees started as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901 right? So they moved to NYC in 1903 and then became the Highlanders/Yankees?

No way. If he's not let go in the next two years, he'll be relegated to a backup player. I would hate to see him turn into the next Brett Favre, Michael Jordan, or Darrell Waltrip and stick around too long. You should always retire right after you are at your top, but before you are at your bottom, which the three above me didn't listen to. I hope Jeter heeds the warnings of Favre, Jordan, and Waltrip and retires soon. It would stink if what happened to them happened to Jeter in 2014 or even sooner.

Meh, Michael Jordan wasn't really that bad (mostly because no one remembers what he did after his second retirement). IMO Jeter has a good three years in him left as long as he doesn't get injured.

Meh, Michael Jordan wasn't really that bad (mostly because no one remembers what he did after his second retirement). IMO Jeter has a good three years in him left as long as he doesn't get injured.

So Nova are you saying Jeter can maybe get to 3,900-4,000 and make a run at Cobb or even Rose if he has '3 good years?

Dumb Question:eek:. The Yankees started as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901 right? So they moved to NYC in 1903 and then became the Highlanders/Yankees?

There is no such thing as a dumb question SB. You are correct! Seems everyday we all learn something new.

As you all know, I'm a Mets fan, but congrats to Jeter for getting his 3,000th hit. That game will be a "Yankees Classic" on the YES network for many years to come.

Not just the Yes Network. I am sure today landmark Jeter game (7/9/11)will be shown on both ESPN Classic and MLB Network for many years as well.

True, but 70(EE) said Yankees specifically, not Yankees plus Highlanders. He also said that the Yankees played in 1903, which was my main point.

So then if the Yankees did not play in 1903...

...why, then, did the Yankees franchise celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2003? By your logic they shouldn't celebrate it until 2013.

If a Highlander had gotten 3000 hits Jeter would be only the second in the history of the franchise to reach that mark, not the first which is why this event is especially big.

Archived