33.1 Innings

53 Strikeouts

5.40 BB/9

.183 BAA

1.08 ERA

6.2 Hits/9

14.31 K/9

0.00 HR/9

Stats in bold are peripherals that are better or lead any of the 3 pitchers being compared above. Pitcher A and Pitcher B are going to the all star game which Pitcher C is not. Tell me which pitcher is more deserving to go to the All Star Game in Arizona.

Are pitchers A and B starters or relievers? Now, not a slam on the relievers, but starters have the edge because they have to face the same lineup at least 2-3 times, compare that to a reliever that faces at least 1/3 of the lineup. So the numbers will be scewed in favor of the reliever.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, sometimes it gets hard to understand all the details in the stats.

I would guess the Robertson snub is because the MLB doesn't want too many players from one team and they have to have like 1 guy from at least each team for representation - that usual BS. I do agree that Jeter and probably Arod shouldn't be there this year [and those 2 being excluded could free up space for Robertson].

I would guess the Robertson snub is because the MLB doesn't want too many players from one team and they have to have like 1 guy from at least each team for representation - that usual BS. I do agree that Jeter and probably Arod shouldn't be there this year [and those 2 being excluded could free up space for Robertson].

Do the fans pick the rotation as well or just the starting lineup? Because if they pick the relievers, then we know who to blame...

Do the fans pick the rotation as well or just the starting lineup? Because if they pick the relievers, then we know who to blame...

The fans(public) only as i know unless the voting has changed the starting lineup.

The Manger picks a few 'reserves' and starting pitcher. Not sure who picks the rest of the back-ups and rest of team though. Until recently when Mr Selig put in that stupid rule of home-field aka game #7 in world series for the league that wins the ASG, it was broadcasters across MLB.

The question begs. Should the public even be allowed to pick players on the ASG? I always thought yes but I would change it and make it similar to the NFL/NBA model.

whereby here my ideas/proposals.

1)Public voting make up 75% of total voting (it their game but sometimes their picks makes you wonder how sane they are lol)

2)Media/Broadcasters votes other 25% and picks all of the reserves.

3)Manager picks last '2' spots and the starting pitcher.

4)ASG teams should be expanded to 40 players.

5)Keep having at least '1' player from all 30 teams resprented at the game.

My takes on MLB All star game.

The fans(public) only as i know unless the voting has changed the starting lineup.

The Manger picks a few 'reserves' and starting pitcher. Not sure who picks the rest of the back-ups and rest of team though. Until recently when Mr Selig put in that stupid rule of home-field aka game #7 in world series for the league that wins the ASG, it was broadcasters across MLB.

The question begs. Should the public even be allowed to pick players on the ASG? I always thought yes but I would change it and make it similar to the NFL/NBA model.

1)Public voting make up 75% of total voting (it their game but sometimes their picks makes you wonder how sane they are lol)

Add another thing, get rid of that stipulation where the winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series. And the DH must be used in NL parks too

Add another thing, get rid of that stipulation where the winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series. And the DH must be used in NL parks too

Agree 100% Q43. Bud Selig a couple of years back claims that MLB now for the World Series could not find hotel rooms for hundred members of the media from across the US/Canada and Internationally on few days notice. Selig says if a WS team comes from a big city like NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago or LA that it's 'impossible' and thus reason if they want to 'best record format' it would not work.

IMO that BS. Bud is really at mercy of Fox TV from Rupert Mudrock and his people who want the 'home field' WS crap as a way to add a few thousand viewers. Since it started in 2004-'05, ratings have gone up but a little in most cases. Last year ('10)game hosted by Anaheim was the lowest rated game in 'prime time' in MLB history.

Still bro(Q43)i agree that the home field for winning a stupid ASG is really is dumb. IMO it's just a ploy by in terms of sports, a clueless Aussie TV Boss who knows little about baseball and sports other than to make $$$ to try to get higher tv ratings.:mad:

Agree 100% Q43. Bud Selig a couple of years back claims that MLB world series could not find hotel rooms for hundred of media from across the US/Canada and Internationally on few days notice if a team comes from a big city like NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago or LA if they want to 'best record format.'

IMO that BS. Bud is really at mercy of Fox TV from Rupert Mudrock and his people who want the 'home field' WS crap as a way to add a few thousand viewers. Since it started in 2004-'05, ratings have gone up but a little in most cases. Last year ('10)game hosted by Anaheim was the lowest rated game in 'prime time' in MLB history.

Still bro(Q43)i agree that the home field for winning a stupid ASG is really is dumb. IMO it's just a ploy by in terms of sports, a clueless Aussie TV Boss who knows little about baseball and sports other than to make $$$ to try to get higher tv ratings.:mad:

Actually, that winner gets home field in the world series crap started in 2003. Before that it was alternated by league

Are pitchers A and B starters or relievers? Now, not a slam on the relievers, but starters have the edge because they have to face the same lineup at least 2-3 times, compare that to a reliever that faces at least 1/3 of the lineup. So the numbers will be scewed in favor of the reliever.

All are relievers. Pitcher A is Brandon League of the Mariners. Pitcher B is Chris Perez of the Indians. C is obvious, its David Robertson.

Yeah you're right, it is BS. Back in 2004 Joe Torre took 9 Yankees to the ASG including somebody named Javier Vazquez. Alex is somewhat deserving, hitting .304 and OPS is .888 which is really good. With Asdrubal making the team, I don't know why Chris Perez makes the team since he is not even better than Robertson. Cleveland has their representative already. I blame the players, yes the same players who voted Jason freaking Varitek to the ASG last year or in 2009.

Ok.

True, but also at that time Vazquez was doing good in the first half. It was the 2nd half where he declined and of course is remembered for the infamous grand slam he served to Damon in game 7. Who knows how things would've went if Torre managed the pen differently in game 4 or game 5 [where they win in boston and go on to face the cards]?

Ok, really, what the hell is your problem with Jeter? We get it you don't like it [i agree he's not deserving of even being in the game this year if he can play]. But I mean do you have a problem with him the player or him the person? It's getting to the point where anything about Jeter becomes an issue with you.

He's overrated. Even at the peak of his career, he wasn't as good as A-Rod or Nomar. And he received a salary that is not proportional to his talent. I got into it with some losers at the Yankees messageboard (the baseball version of Subchat) over Jeter. There are many players all over the league on small market teams who are more talented than Jeter yet don't receive the same amount of media attention.

I understand what you are saying, but it's like an obsession with Jeter [other times]. Is it really that bad you have to put him down on a constant basis? What older player doesn't have a decline in their final years? no one is perfect. I mean with his 'replacements' in Nunez and Pena, I would rather have Jeter on the field for defense in games. If anything you should be more pissed that Posada has 'lost his stuff' and is clogging up the DH spot.

Well, the media runs that show and of course they'll want the big names there, even if they aren't as good anymore. The only way to make things fair [to some extent what shortline suggested in terms of the voting set up - but with position players with the best stats being listed on the ballots rather than by name recognition].

Ok, really, what the hell is your problem with Jeter? We get it you don't like it [i agree he's not deserving of even being in the game this year if he can play]. But I mean do you have a problem with him the player or him the person? It's getting to the point where anything about Jeter becomes an issue with you.

Good point. I am surprsied FG has not said the same thing about Magic Johnson. If you look at Magic carrer he similar to Jeter in never having a zillion points compared to other HOF's/immortals of his era i.e Jordan, Bird, Erving, Barkley and Isiah.

Yet Magic is the NBA version of Jeter of very good stats he became an immortal as one of the great clutch players in hoops history.

Yes at this point in his carrer Jeter is only at best a lower end starting SS. However it's an insult to Yankee fans not to deny at his peak between 1998-2004 Derek was a great HOF but not with knockout #'s like A-Rod. As i stated before Jeter is a MLB version of Magic Johnson.

Maybe a problem with FG is that he jealous of Derek and the fact he gets the good looking "A-list' girlfriends and millions of $$ in commericals.

Ok.

True, but also at that time Vazquez was doing good in the first half. It was the 2nd half where he declined and of course is remembered for the infamous grand slam he served to Damon in game 7. Who knows how things would've went if Torre managed the pen differently in game 4 or game 5 [where they win in boston and go on to face the cards]?

Not a problem with Vazquez back then. He was good until he was pitching hurt on the second half. Torre cannot even manage a bullpen. Look what happened to Scott Proctor.

#4... damn, that seems high....

how many players are there currently on each squad in the ASG?

I can agree to this, though....

at this point, I don't even care.... but it's long gotten annoying.

He runs things in a whole... he gets stuck on somethin, and can't get off of it..... It's like a comedian tellin the same stale joke over & over & over again, full knowin it aint funny..... like damn, enough.

Yes at this point in his carrer Jeter is only at best a lower end starting SS. However it's an insult to Yankee fans not to deny at his peak between 1998-2004 Derek was a great HOF but not with knockout #'s like A-Rod. As i stated before Jeter is a MLB version of Magic Johnson.

that's some comparison.... would've never thought of that.

Now I agree w/ dude that Jeter is overrated like s**t.... but to be a supposed yankee fan, to come in & foolishly post Nunez > Jeter, shows that the hate is real strong... same guy that came in that other sports thread rootin for the miami heat to win, then to (indirectly) call 553 & I "haters".... aint that a trip....

no real yankee fan would... damn that, COULD.... say that with a straight face; nunez is better than jeter... all that this man has done for this organization in the past, just throw all that out the window.... "Mr. November", throw that baby out w/ the bathwater too...

FOH with that....

Totally agreed B35, well stated!

@alejr88, totally true, Torre just kept using the same guys over and over again. If Mo were 'mortal', he would've shared the same fate as those other relievers. Hell, guys that were good would be the ones that suffered compared to marginally good pitchers that would not be called up as often. As micromanaging as Girardi is, at least he doesn't stick with one guy the way Torre would - well depends I guess.

There's a reason why I don't vote for the household name. I go by the player who's having the best statistical season. I didn't vote for this year's ASG, but I know for a fact I wouldn't voted for no damn Jeter or Reyes. I definitely would've voted for McCutchen or Jay Bruce

There's a reason why I don't vote for the household name. I go by the player who's having the best statistical season. I didn't vote for this year's ASG, but I know for a fact I wouldn't voted for no damn Jeter or Reyes. I definitely would've voted for McCutchen or Jay Bruce

In some cases that a good way to vote for all stars in any sport. With that said, Reyes belongs on the NL all star team but not neccesairly as a starter.

Not to change the topic but still MLB realted. Any one hear the total dissing that aging Braves Star Chipper Jones said about all umpires in MLB after he was tossed out of Sunday's game.:eek:

If this was the NBA, David Stern would have suspened Jones for at least 5 games for it. Here link.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-07-03/chipper-jones-rips-umps-calls-their-work-substandard?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk2%7C75318

I am sure I could find 100 Mets fans within 1 hour who would want Jeter (in his prime) as a Met. Some people just do not know how to be thankful.

Reyes deserved to be an All Star. My issue with Jeter was that he was basically a singles hitter for most of his career, yet the media treated him like he was Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle. He received a ridiculous amount of money. I feel the same way about Jeter that I feel about R32's.

Reyes deserved to be an All Star. My issue with Jeter was that he was basically a singles hitter for most of his career, yet the media treated him like he was Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle. He received a ridiculous amount of money. I feel the same way about Jeter that I feel about R32's.

I agree. I think Jeter should've not made the starting AL All-Star team, let alone the team itself. I'd prefer either Asdrubal Cabrera from the Indians or Jhonny Peralta from Detroit.

However, Jeter isn't the only one who should not be in the ASG. I would add Russell Martin (who's hitting below .250) and Matt Wieters to that list. For a backup catcher, I would've had A.J. Pierzynski (who's hitting around .285-.290) for that. And as for the Orioles' representative, Adam Jones would've been better off.

There are a few guys who were snubbed off:

Mark Teixeira (although hitting .245, he's hitting 25 HR and has about 65 RBI)

Andrew McCutchen (one of the main reasons why Pittsburgh's 2.5 games behind 1st in the NL Central)

Paul Konerko (has Teixeira-like stats in HR and RBI, and hitting over .300)

Denard Span (he should've represented the Twins over Mike Cuddyer since he's closer to .300)

CC Sabathia (a guy who has 11 wins right now can't be left off whatsoever)

Alex Gordon (he should've represented Kansas City over Aaron Crow since he's finally fulfilling his potential)

Archived