What's the top speed reached on the QBE?

TrainFanatic

What's the top speed reached on the Queens Blvd Express line using an R160?

The other day I was on an (F) train that was really tearing it up on the Manhattan bd express tracks from Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza. If you are still searching for real exp service, the QBE line is within that small minority.

Usually, I am in the last car of the (E) or (F), so I can peek into the cab and read the digital speedometer as I'm getting ready to get off at my stop. Generally, I see about 38-42 as the top speed, usually between Roosevelt and Continental.

Of course, god only knows how accurate those things are anyway. I know They can be way off on older equipment, not sure on the NTT's

this makes me miss the SMEE's on the QBL even more! :cry:. I remember when I was really small, I used to love flying on QBL on the (E). boy was that fun.

Now the NTT's ruin everything. And Timers. NTT's are still fast, but not as fast as the SMEE's.

Also, back in the days there werent many - to - no timers, so they could go really fast over there.

This is off-topic, but about a week ago I was on a downtown (3) train from 72 Street-42 Street, when it hit 50 Street it was going about 50 MPH :eek:

I always love going there to get haul-ass shots :cool:

@ Two Timer thanks. Were you at least a little frightened? I love the ride but at the same time knowing that you can derail at any moment can't escape my head.

The current speeds on the Queens Blvd express tracks are nothing compared to older equipment running at 70mph years ago.

So I've heard. Was the acceleration on older equipment back then faster than the acceleration on cars today?

@ Two Timer thanks. Were you at least a little frightened? I love the ride but at the same time knowing that you can derail at any moment can't escape my head.

So I've heard. Was the acceleration on older equipment back then faster than the acceleration on cars today?

That is true...I am not sure but I think that had to do with the 14th St. wreck.

I'm pretty sure the newer trains have faster rates of acceleration, which is obviously a separate thing from differences in (theoretical) top speeds

I'm pretty sure the newer trains have faster rates of acceleration, which is obviously a separate thing from differences in (theoretical) top speeds

I've read somewhere that the trains from "back in the day" were able to go from 0-40 in a few seconds. Just wanted to clarify. I don't necessarily believe it.

I've read somewhere that the trains from "back in the day" were able to go from 0-40 in a few seconds. Just wanted to clarify. I don't necessarily believe it.

Well, at least the R1 had a double turbo motor, so it could be true.

And why would anybody be afraid of that speed on the tracks? Are you scared too on an elevated highway when you go way faster than 50mph knowing that 1 mistake could cost your life?

I do get a little worried when I travel via a highway at times. As for the subway, only when I'm on the QBE do I feel a little worried and at the same time excitment. Its really the possibility of going over a wrong set switch at such speeds thay worry me. I know that its a slim chance to nothing but there's still a chance...

I don't know. On Subchat someone mentioned that they were in the cab when they saw the R160 hit 61 MPH while travelling through the 60th Street Tube. So in reality the R160 can travel faster then 55 MPH.

That's cuz the 60 St tube is on a steep downgrade...anything can hit past 55 mph in the tubes, hell, even the 14 St tubes on the (L) you can get over 55 mph sometimes. The 55 mph rule only applies on a level stretch of track

Perhaps when going downgrade, they can overspeed the limiter, like a trucker going into "Georgia Overdrive"?B)

I enjoy the relatively high speed run home on the E each afternoon. It seems like the stretch thru Woodhaven Blvd. up to 63rd Drive is the "racetrack". Going the other way on the F is sometimes 'scary' when rounding the curve from Broadway onto Northern Blvd. (at least that's where I think it is). Sometimes it feels that the wheel flanges are just barely holding us from sailing into oblivion.

50mph in the Northern Boulevard express cut is 15 mph over the speed limit for that high speed curve in the middle of the cut. Trains in all likelyhood went much faster through that area back in the day. For exaple, there's a 40mph speed sign just before 7th avenue going north on the Brighton line (going uphill at that moment), the R68/R68A that go through there cant even get over 40 through the stretch (37-39 usually), and the 160s as they are currently configured barely make it over 40 (39-42) in the area. There's a 40 mph sign on the Lenox line as well somewhere between 116 and 135 (forgot whether it was north or south of 125) and neither the 142 or 62 can get up to 35 (much less 40) before having to break it back down again to make a station stop.

A TSS I know got a 160 up to 62 in that 60th river tube. Trains were in fact slowed down after the Robert Ray incident, and the advent of the wheel detectors as well (which is slowly being phased out as it proved too troublesome). For the 160s it has been said by some that the power cuts off at 49 now to prevent it from going faster, 50+ is only achieved by going downgrade, even slightly (like in that Northern Boulevard cut trends slightly downhill).

The current speeds on the Queens Blvd express tracks are nothing compared to older equipment running at 70mph years ago.

I can imagine so. If there were no timers on that downgrade between 67th Ave and 63rd Drive...it would be a really fast ride.

Hell the R44's broked the speed record for being the fastest subway car. The cars hit 87 MPH travelling on an LIRR track for testing. When it did that it blew it's motors out. Hell even could have had continue going faster if they had let it since the motors were still moving.

I don't know. On Subchat someone mentioned that they were in the cab when they saw the R160 hit 61 MPH while travelling through the 60th Street Tube. So in reality the R160 can travel faster then 55 MPH.

Very possible. I was on an (R) the other day [wasn't R160 though] going through the 60th Street Tube and my ear strangely popped - Checked the speed and I think it was something along 59 MPH.

Very possible. I was on an (R) the other day [wasn't R160 though] going through the 60th Street Tube and my ear strangely popped - Checked the speed and I think it was something along 59 MPH.

There's a way to prevent your ears from popping. Simply yawn once you begin to feel the pressure. You don't necessarily have to yawn, but I can't exactly explain it. Never did I have to use the ol' gum on a plane trick.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Interesting and informative info you guys are sharing.

On a side note, does anyone else seem to love the unique sounds made by the flanges along the line?

Yes, espically at Woodhaven Blvd going express on the Jamaica bound side :cool:

Archived