MTA Looks to Sell Ad Space in Subway Tunnels

mark1447

Next stop: the bank.

The MTA is planning a new way to raise cash -- ads between stations. That's right, those long, dark tunnels would be lit up and plastered with sponsored images.

Passengers already bombarded with ads inside the train would look out the windows and see a series of images, seemingly static until the motion of the train springs them to life, like a flip book.

The first tunnel to potentially get the new-age commercial would be the Times Square shuttle, in a pilot project.

"The MTA could raise between $100,000 and $1 million a year," said Aaron Donovan, an MTA spokesman.

If the shuttle project is a success, there could be tens of millions of dollars in untapped revenue out there in between the city's hundreds of stations. The potential cash bonanza would be welcomed at the always budget-challenged transit authority, where chairman Jay Walder has vowed not to raise fares or slash service anytime soon.

The flip book-style advertising is already up and running on some parts of the PATH train, as well as in transit systems in other cities, like the Tokyo subway.

And the MTA has allowed a public art project, visible to riders on the B and Q train when crossing the Manhattan Bridge towards Dekalb Avenue.

The proposed tunnel ads aren't attracting much opposition, at least so far. Longtime critics of cluttering up the system with ads have softened their views in this punishing economy.

"Given how tough the economic times are, I'm more tolerant of it," said Gene Russianoff, a riders advocate from the Straphangers Campaign.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/No-Longer-In-The-Dark-MTA-Looks-To-Sell-Ads-in-The-Tunnels--117543763.html

They've been talking about doing this for some time now, so what's taking so long? Stop talking about it and do it already. Before they go doing this, they should be actively seeking tenants for the spaces that they own that are currently empty and have been for sometime now.

this would be great give the graffiti writers more free space to work with. The first night after these things would come online they would be covered in graffiti, and the lights would be broken and vandalized. And most people aren't looking out the windows between stations anyway, there reading their ipads and kindle's.

Id prefer the tunnel to stay how it is, don't need way to much light in the tunnel thank you! But if the (MTA) needs the money then go ahead.. Next we'd see ads all over the inside of the train, computer generated.

Id prefer the tunnel to stay how it is, don't need way to much light in the tunnel thank you!

me too I agree :tup:

Next we'd see ads all over the inside of the train, computer generated.

Thats already happened, the TVs inside the 42 Street shuttle. Well, not all the ads were computer generated but those TVs were...

At one point we did have ads in the tunnel via digital screens but that was soon scrapped. Hey, whatever helps them make that extra $$ is ok in my book.

Wasn't there one somewhere in upper Manhattan on the (1)(2)(3)? when I was younger I heard about this, but Im not clear about it.

I at first thought they were referring to the mantransiscope, but I realized that they did say uptown (1)(2)(3)...

Wasn't there one somewhere in upper Manhattan on the (1)(2)(3)? when I was younger I heard about this, but Im not clear about it.

I at first thought they were referring to the mantransiscope, but I realized that they did say uptown (1)(2)(3)...

In several stations in Manhattan, I remember 5th-53rd & Lex-53rd being two stations that had them.

On a related note, isn't there some art display in the tunnel as the (Q) enters Brooklyn and comes aboveground that you are only supposed to be able to see when the train is moving at a good speed? I vaguely remember hearing about this a while ago.

On a related note, isn't there some art display in the tunnel as the (Q) enters Brooklyn and comes aboveground that you are only supposed to be able to see when the train is moving at a good speed? I vaguely remember hearing about this a while ago.

Thats when it leaves Dekalb Avenue, the old Myrtle Avenue Station ( I think thats it ) is used to showcase some art.

At one point we did have ads in the tunnel via digital screens but that was soon scrapped. Hey, whatever helps them make that extra $$ is ok in my book.

Does PATH still have that? That would defeat the graffiti problem (assuming its cost effective).

Thats when it leaves Dekalb Avenue, the old Myrtle Avenue Station ( I think thats it ) is used to showcase some art.

IIRC its still there.

Does PATH still have that? That would defeat the graffiti problem (assuming its cost effective).

From what it looks like, they still have the screens in the tunnels, the ads aren't on anymore though.

Over time there have been "battles" between those who believe that the subways has too much advertising with in it (bill-boards, posters, etc.), and those who believe that money can be made from such advertisements, and that there should be even more.

In many of the IND stations one can see where there were spaces along the tile walls for advertisements, and later in the 1980's or 1990's those same spaces were filled with tile. In many of the station renovations - poster boards were removed - and more decorative tile mosaics were installed in the 1980-1990-2000's periods. Look at old pictures of the subway - many of the stations had plenty of advertising - of movies, stores, and other happenings.

Think about the advertising that used to exist in the subway cars, and what exists now. One used to be able to read about a dozen ads without having to move from their seat. Now try to find a subway car with more than a dozen ads of different products/services/etc - and only a handful of ads from the MTA.

Anyone remember the analog clocks that used to exist in many of the stations - that had large advertisements next to the clock? Or how about the ads that used to appear above the end-car doors - often advertisements about cigarettes? Now it is a more pristine look - a bare look at the technology of the train - clean trains much less visual clutter.

The war continues.

Archived