NY Daily News Reporter tries to get a Manhattan-based 'yellow' cab to get to the outerboros

Shortline Bus

I don't see what the commotion is... maybe it's b/c I know they aint stoppin for my black a** anyway..... and by "they", I'm referring to the yellow cab drivers.... far as those lincoln towncars go... lol... if you aint wearin a suit (or at least a trenchcoat)... lol, those drivers wont even acknowledge you....

I'd rather take ANY crosstown bus, over a yellow cab... hell, I'd rather take those double decker buses...

I'm not even being funny w/ that.

They get WAY too much flack in the news/media when it comes to their reckless driving....

the way they cut city buses off, is far worse than I've EVER seen any of the dollar cabs/vans do....

Let those fu**ers stay in manhattan...

One less car on Brooklyn, SI, Queens, and Bronx roads....

I always have the black livery cabs stop for me whether I'm wearing a suit and tie or just a dress shirt and pants even when I'm not looking for one. Perhaps it's the way I'm dressed, but the times that I have "hailed" a cab in the city I have not had to wait long at all, be it the black livery cab or the yellow taxi. Sometimes I didn't even have to put my hand out for the black livery cabs. I'll just wait at a corner, look and they'll stop and expect me to get in. Of course these were all trips within Manhattan, say from Downtown to Midtown where my office is Upper East Side to Midtown.

I haven't tried taxis yet from the city to Staten Island.

Come to think of it I did have one trip where I looked like total sh*t. I had just come back from a metal concert up in Hartford with some friends and me and Colombian/German buddy needed a cab so that I could crash at his place. My jeans were ripped from being in the mosh pit, and I was semi-hammered from drinking all day, but the yellow taxi driver who was black didn't give me a second look when we signaled that we needed a cab at the Port Authority. I thought the fare was reasonable too from 42nd and 8th to 13th and 5th where my friend lived at the time. I think it was like $7 and I gave him a few bucks for the tip, so say $10.00 total.

I always have the black livery cabs stop for me whether I'm wearing a suit and tie or just a dress shirt and pants even when I'm not looking for one. Perhaps it's the way I'm dressed, but the times that I have "hailed" a cab in the city I have not had to wait long at all, be it the black livery cab or the yellow taxi. Sometimes I didn't even have to put my hand out for the black livery cabs. I'll just wait at a corner, look and they'll stop and expect me to get in.

3 letters....

BPC.

you see a lot of that over there....

Reason I bring that up is b/c, you generally really see the black cars in certain areas.... midtown manhattan (east side moreso than the west side)... BPC as was mentioned... anywhere south of, I'd say, fulton... nah, lemme say, vesey.... and also on the UES (I'll be very specific w/ this one - along York av & along Park av) - they're seldom seen on 1st/2nd & 3rd/lex up there.... and of course, at & around GCT....

with the yellow ones, them SOB's are all over manhattan....

speaking of the base over there along Jackson av (LIC) that checkmate brought up.... lol.... had to laugh at that... EVERYtime I pass by there, it always smell like fuel mixed w/ that good'.... them drivers get higher than a muh over there....

edit: my fault...

by "that good", I'm referrin to weed...

3 letters....

BPC.

you see a lot of that over there....

Reason I bring that up is b/c, you generally really see the black cars in certain areas.... midtown manhattan (east side moreso than the west side)... BPC as was mentioned... anywhere south of, I'd say, fulton... nah, lemme say, vesey.... and also on the UES (I'll be very specific w/ this one - along York av & along Park av) - they're seldom seen on 1st/2nd & 3rd/lex up there.... and of course, at & around GCT....

with the yellow ones, them SOB's are all over manhattan....

speaking of the base over there along Jackson av (LIC) that checkmate brought up.... lol.... had to laugh at that... EVERYtime I pass by there, it always smell like fuel mixed w/ that good'.... them drivers get higher than a muh over there....

edit: my fault...

by "that good", I'm referrin to weed...

I'm sorry, but what in the hell does BPC stand for??? I tried searching for it and it still doesn't make sense!! LOL Battery Park City??? If that's what you mean how does it relate in this case? I haven't gotten any cabs in Battery Park City.

And yes, you're right... The black livery cabs are usually on 5th and Madison Ave. I did get one once Downtown over there by the Federal building Downtown going back to the office.

^^ thanks Joel...

Lol when i would post on the 319 I would always see NYC Taxis going to EWR. Shyt I remember one night I didnt feel like taking the subway back to the bronx and got a cab and told that turban wearing ass to take me to Eastchester and he said these exact words "GET OUT!" in that funny ass accent. The Food I had with me(Spanish) I threw it all over the back of his cab l0l. I ended up taking the (5) anyways l0l.

My trademark whenever some cabbie come at me w/ some funny s***.... is, I get out the car... and leave the door wide open.... when they speed off & hit another car w/ his door swingin... lol... the ultimate revenge...

I don't have to close your door...

...but splatterin food all up in his ride... is also classic !

That was back in the summer of 1989 from La Guardia to 18 East 16th Street in Manhattan.

Since then, I have taken (NJT)'s former #302 to Newark Penn to/from Newark Liberty and the Q33 (Q33) to/from Roosevelt and 74th to/from La Guardia.

I seem to like the bus better.......

If you have light luggage Paul and want to save the estimated $40 from JFK-Midtown Manhattan or from Newark-Manhattan then do take the bus to the subway next time you come 'home' to the NYC area. Or even (NJT) to NY-Penn from Newark Airport station.

Wow seems everyone glossed RIGHT over my post earlier...

this doesn't sound like accurate reporting. sounds like someone stood out and asked for 10 cab rides at 4-5pm in the afternoon when it is perfectly reasonable for cabbies to change shifts, then decided to whine about it and attribute it to the cabbies not wanting to go to outer boros when they were more likely just trying to go home.

Let me set the record straight! I'm a yellow cab driver. I work the night shift. There are only two shifts 12 hours each. 5pm to 5am and 5am to 5pm. Thats it. The driver has 12 hours to rack up as many fares as possible then has to turn the car in for the next shift if he or she does not own the car. If you own you do what you want. I go anywhere. last night I took a girl to Tottenville and the fare was $80 and she tipped me $20 cause I got her there from Lower manhattan in 30 minutes. I also did the Bronx, Queens and stayed 3 hours straight shuttling people in Brooklyn. Now I start asking people where they are goin around 430 am because if you're in Manhattan and you tell me Starret City, I'll tell you I'm sorry good luck cause my garage is in manhattan. Being late is costly. Sunday monday tuesday we pay $115. Wednesday $120. Thursday Friday saturday $129. AFter that 50 cents of every trip you record goes to the MTA. No Bulls**t. Finally gas for me runs about $50-55 a night now with current gas prices whatever is left after that we keep. I usually drive on average about 140-180 miles a night. Not to mention the drunks, ********, and douchebags who don't pay or skip out, we're left holding the bag. Prior experiences taught me DTA Don't Trust Anyone. At night anything can happen. I make it work for me but when I hear whining about not going to Brooklyn only when I'm ending my shift or starting my shift. any other time is fair game. Oh and btw, Snowstorms unless a 4wd vehicle NO WAY are you getting a yellow to go to the outerboroughs. Hell No! I can't stand habibs or punjabs those chumps cant drive. Those are the facts. Make your comments.

Let me set the record straight! I'm a yellow cab driver. I work the night shift. There are only two shifts 12 hours each. 5pm to 5am and 5am to 5pm. Thats it. The driver has 12 hours to rack up as many fares as possible then has to turn the car in for the next shift if he or she does not own the car. If you own you do what you want. I go anywhere. last night I took a girl to Tottenville and the fare was $80 and she tipped me $20 cause I got her there from Lower manhattan in 30 minutes. I also did the Bronx, Queens and stayed 3 hours straight shuttling people in Brooklyn. Now I start asking people where they are goin around 430 am because if you're in Manhattan and you tell me Starret City, I'll tell you I'm sorry good luck cause my garage is in manhattan. Being late is costly. Sunday monday tuesday we pay $115. Wednesday $120. Thursday Friday saturday $129. AFter that 50 cents of every trip you record goes to the MTA. No Bulls**t. Finally gas for me runs about $50-55 a night now with current gas prices whatever is left after that we keep. I usually drive on average about 140-180 miles a night. Not to mention the drunks, ********, and douchebags who don't pay or skip out, we're left holding the bag. Prior experiences taught me DTA Don't Trust Anyone. At night anything can happen. I make it work for me but when I hear whining about not going to Brooklyn only when I'm ending my shift or starting my shift. any other time is fair game. Oh and btw, Snowstorms unless a 4wd vehicle NO WAY are you getting a yellow to go to the outerboroughs. Hell No! I can't stand habibs or punjabs those chumps cant drive. Those are the facts. Make your comments.

Why not just say "I'm not picking up fares after x time" instead of risking being late?

30+ years ago I hacked yellow cabs and the whole experience was an eye opener for me, a native Brooklynite. I picked up the cab from Bergen St, 5 pm, downtown BK, and usually had a fare within the first 10 minutes. Usually Flatlands, Mill Basin, occasionally Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst. Most of those riders didn't want to ride the B41 bus or the 4th Ave subway. A few times I had runs to Bed-Stuy but, as a Blackman, I wouldn't turn them down any way. After these runs I would make my way to midtown, usually WITH a fare, and settle in for the rest of the evening. 60th St or nearby to 96th on the East Side (guaranteed money makers) or the Upper West Side down to the Village. A $12 trip, paid with a twenty and keep the change. I've had airport runs, LGA or LGA, from both of these areas and after dropping of the riders I would head back to Manhattan, picking up fares outside the airports so I didn't have to wait in those taxi lines. I never turned down a fare because of skin color or destination. In other words I drove a yellow cab but I wasn't Yellow. Friday and Saturday nights some of my best trips were to the outer boroughs from the Manhattan club scene. Made a run to Jersey City one night with a brother who paid double the fare AND gave me $ 50 for my "trouble". What I'm trying to say is that you can't make snap judgements about people because of their color or destination. If you can't do that then your hack license should be pulled because you agreed to abide by the rules of the TLC when it was issued. I remember coming out of CompUsa on 5th Ave one rainy afternoon with 2 boxes containing a computer and a monitor. I tried to hail a cab and every one passed me by. An NYPD officer saw my predicament and stepped out and stopped one. He called me over and told me to get in. The Gandhi m.f. behind the wheel protested that he didn't know the way to Starrett City and, when I told him that I would direct him, he muttered something and started driving. After an awkward silence we started talking. When I told him I used to hack he told me that his garage basically told him to discriminate against the outer boroughs and people of color. I told him that the only two times my passengers came up short on the fare both LADIES, one black and one caucasian, both Manhattan residents, paid me.They didn't try to skip out. The traffic caused the shortage. OK, no tip. Not really. I got paid when I got off that night. One paid for almost 6 months. When I got out of the cab I gave him a $10 tip and showed him my wallet. I had over $1500 cash money and told him that his attempt at discrimination cost him another $40. Moral is if you can't abide by the rules find another line of work.

Intresting story Trainmaster.

30+ years ago I hacked yellow cabs and the whole experience was an eye opener for me, a native Brooklynite. I picked up the cab from Bergen St, 5 pm, downtown BK, and usually had a fare within the first 10 minutes. Usually Flatlands, Mill Basin, occasionally Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst. Most of those riders didn't want to ride the B41 bus or the 4th Ave subway. A few times I had runs to Bed-Stuy but, as a Blackman, I wouldn't turn them down any way. After these runs I would make my way to midtown, usually WITH a fare, and settle in for the rest of the evening. 60th St or nearby to 96th on the East Side (guaranteed money makers) or the Upper West Side down to the Village. A $12 trip, paid with a twenty and keep the change. I've had airport runs, LGA or LGA, from both of these areas and after dropping of the riders I would head back to Manhattan, picking up fares outside the airports so I didn't have to wait in those taxi lines. I never turned down a fare because of skin color or destination. In other words I drove a yellow cab but I wasn't Yellow. Friday and Saturday nights some of my best trips were to the outer boroughs from the Manhattan club scene. Made a run to Jersey City one night with a brother who paid double the fare AND gave me $ 50 for my "trouble". What I'm trying to say is that you can't make snap judgements about people because of their color or destination. If you can't do that then your hack license should be pulled because you agreed to abide by the rules of the TLC when it was issued. I remember coming out of CompUsa on 5th Ave one rainy afternoon with 2 boxes containing a computer and a monitor. I tried to hail a cab and every one passed me by. An NYPD officer saw my predicament and stepped out and stopped one. He called me over and told me to get in. The Gandhi m.f. behind the wheel protested that he didn't know the way to Starrett City and, when I told him that I would direct him, he muttered something and started driving. After an awkward silence we started talking. When I told him I used to hack he told me that his garage basically told him to discriminate against the outer boroughs and people of color. I told him that the only two times my passengers came up short on the fare both LADIES, one black and one caucasian, both Manhattan residents, paid me.They didn't try to skip out. The traffic caused the shortage. OK, no tip. Not really. I got paid when I got off that night. One paid for almost 6 months. When I got out of the cab I gave him a $10 tip and showed him my wallet. I had over $1500 cash money and told him that his attempt at discrimination cost him another $40. Moral is if you can't abide by the rules find another line of work.

Upper East/Upper West to the village for $12?

That sure was 30 years ago B) :cool:

Good post. I've always felt tips should be performance based. When I worked in the accounting/finance industry I used to give cabbies enormous tips with company money when they got me home fast. One guy routinely did Greenwich, CT to my front door in 35 minutes every night. Another one got me home from midtown west one time and hit ONE traffic light the whole ride. That was the most impressive thing I've ever seen in a cab.

The ones that were jerks, didn't follow directions, etc. (very rare) did not get so good of a tip, or one at all...

Upper East/Upper West to the village for $12?

That sure was 30 years ago B) :cool:

Good post. I've always felt tips should be performance based. When I worked in the accounting/finance industry I used to give cabbies enormous tips with company money when they got me home fast. One guy routinely did Greenwich, CT to my front door in 35 minutes every night. Another one got me home from midtown west one time and hit ONE traffic light the whole ride. That was the most impressive thing I've ever seen in a cab.

The ones that were jerks, didn't follow directions, etc. (very rare) did not get so good of a tip, or one at all...

LOL ,I was trying to say that for a $12 ride I'd get to keep the change from a twenty. Most of the good tips were from short trips on the Upper East or West Side. And those "escort" ladies.

LOL ,I was trying to say that for a $12 ride I'd get to keep the change from a twenty. Most of the good tips were from short trips on the Upper East or West Side. And those "escort" ladies.

Yeah good tips on short trips are something else. I got a relative who drives a cab in Rhode Island, he gets to the front of the line, and the guy is a Japanese tourist who wants to go two blocks. Cabbies wait sometimes half an hour in the lineup to get a passenger, so he doesn't wanna do all that and go two blocks for a $2 trip then get to the BACK of the line to wait for the next one. He told the guy it was easier to just walk, and the blocks weren't that big, but the guy insisted and swore he'd give him $35.

And he really did after my relative took him. I always thought that was hilarious. Avoiding the inconvenience of walking two blocks is apparently worth up to $35 in this day and age. And they say Rhode Island's been hard hit by the Great Recession...

Yeah good tips on short trips are something else. I got a relative who drives a cab in Rhode Island, he gets to the front of the line, and the guy is a Japanese tourist who wants to go two blocks. Cabbies wait sometimes half an hour in the lineup to get a passenger, so he doesn't wanna do all that and go two blocks for a $2 trip then get to the BACK of the line to wait for the next one. He told the guy it was easier to just walk, and the blocks weren't that big, but the guy insisted and swore he'd give him $35.

And he really did after my relative took him. I always thought that was hilarious. Avoiding the inconvenience of walking two blocks is apparently worth up to $35 in this day and age. And they say Rhode Island's been hard hit by the Great Recession...

The Japanese are big spenders. They're usually well dressed (at least the ones I see on 5th & Madison by my office) and money usually isn't an issue.

To be honest, I didn't bother considering who, or during what time frame they grabbed these cabs to do their little report/story.... I made my comments solely based on the general idea of cabbies not traveling to the outerboroughs....

Anyway, as far as tipping people....

- I don't give the pizza man tips... 99 times outta 100, you don't make the pizza, you just deliver it.

as my cousin did one time, after a domino's driver had the gall to put his hand out after payment....

"here's your tip.... tip your ass right out the door"

*the slamming of the door followed*

classic stuff.....

- I don't give bag boys tips.... You don't supply the food, or even put them in the cart while I'm shopping, for me.... all you do is put them all in bags after, or while I'm paying for it.... to me, this is no different than giving your money away to a panhandler....

- I don't give waitor's tips (then again, I don't eat much at restaurants where you're "supposed to", anyway).... again, I'm paying for the food, and the opportunity to sit in that restaurant to eat that food.... I'm not paying you to bring my food to me...

- I don't give cab drivers tips... I pay the cab driver a fare to get me from point A to point B..... When cabbies pay ME to be a passenger in their cab, is the day I'll leave a driver a tip...

I'm not working to put food on my table, to monetarily help someone else for doing their job....

Don't talk to me about courtesy... Don't give me that ole airy-fairy "you'll be down on your luck one day" BS.... not tryna hear it....

b/c the people that work those professions w/ which you're morally "supposed" to give tips to... at the end of the day, could give two f***s about you....

strippers sold separately.

To be honest, I didn't bother considering who, or during what time frame they grabbed these cabs to do their little report/story.... I made my comments solely based on the general idea of cabbies not traveling to the outerboroughs....

Anyway, as far as tipping people....

- I don't give the pizza man tips... 99 times outta 100, you don't make the pizza, you just deliver it.

as my cousin did one time, after a domino's driver had the gall to put his hand out after payment....

"here's your tip.... tip your ass right out the door"

*the slamming of the door followed*

classic stuff.....

- I don't give bag boys tips.... You don't supply the food, or even put them in the cart while I'm shopping, for me.... all you do is put them all in bags after, or while I'm paying for it.... to me, this is no different than giving your money away to a panhandler....

- I don't give waitor's tips (then again, I don't eat much at restaurants where you're "supposed to", anyway).... again, I'm paying for the food, and the opportunity to sit in that restaurant to eat that food.... I'm not paying you to bring my food to me...

- I don't give cab drivers tips... I pay the cab driver a fare to get me from point A to point B..... When cabbies pay ME to be a passenger in their cab, is the day I'll leave a driver a tip...

I'm not working to put food on my table, to monetarily help someone else for doing their job....

Don't talk to me about courtesy... Don't give me that ole airy-fairy "you'll be down on your luck one day" BS.... not tryna hear it....

b/c the people that work those professions w/ which you're morally "supposed" to give tips to... at the end of the day, could give two f***s about you....

strippers sold separately.

You're right, BUT do know that if you eat at any establishment regularly and don't tip, they will remember. Now I have my lunch spots that I eat at in Midtown, Chelsea area etc., and I am given extras in terms of taken care of better, given stuff on the house, etc. because I take care of them, so long as they provide the service that I expect.

I normally tip 20% of the bill minus the tax of course, sometimes more if I'm a really generous mood and I've enjoyed my wine and food.

You're not obligated to tip and I understand where you're coming from, but I put myself in these people's shoes. I'm a project manager and I provide a service to my clients. In return for getting them out of tight jams, I expect them to give me more business, as well as referrals and they do. It's just the way things work.

Besides, some of these guys really do work hard. I work long hours too, but that's sitting in my cozy office at my desk staring at a screen all day, writing e-mails and telling the folks I work with what I need done, etc. Meanwhile these guys normally don't earn that much and stand on their feet all day. Now I have had what you mentioned happen to me years ago.

Back in college I ordered take out and noticed that they tried to pull a fast one on me by jacking up the price on something that I had ordered before. I took my food from the guy, exposed his a** for trying to get over and then proceeded to read him the riot act. Of course he left empty handed with a message to send back to the restaurant. :mad:

You're right, BUT do know that if you eat at any establishment regularly and don't tip, they will remember.

Of course.

Which is another reason why I don't set precedents when it comes to giving away money....

the chinese food store I go to for lunch sometimes, they know soon as I step in the mahf**ka, they go "1 or 2" (meaning, how many orders of chicken & broccoli you want, 1 or 2)..... I'm well aware people in society get used to things very quickly....

They'll (the waitors) also remember the one day you don't tip them, too.... then they'll give you a look like "why no tip today"... You can't get me to answer that question w/ a non-dignified/cordial response...

back when my moms worked downtown, had to tell her.... stop givin that crackhead over there by the albee sq. mall parking lot, money... I don't care how "nice" he is... I don't care if it's "spare change".... it's goin come to a point where he's gonna stalk you (cause he knows you got money), or worse.... that was back then, before all this metrotech BS in downtown brooklyn....

Of course.

Which is another reason why I don't set precedents when it comes to giving away money....

the chinese food store I go to for lunch sometimes, they know soon as I step in the mahf**ka, they go "1 or 2" (meaning, how many orders of chicken & broccoli you want, 1 or 2)..... I'm well aware people in society get used to things very quickly....

They'll (the waitors) also remember the one day you don't tip them, too.... then they'll give you a look like "why no tip today"... You can't get me to answer that question w/ a non-dignified/cordial response...

back when my moms worked downtown, had to tell her.... stop givin that crackhead over there by the albee sq. mall parking lot, money... I don't care how "nice" he is... I don't care if it's "spare change".... it's goin come to a point where he's gonna stalk you (cause he knows you got money), or worse.... that was back then, before all this metrotech BS in downtown brooklyn....

I rarely give anything to bums. I always have people begging me for something. The most hilarious instance is this one... I'm in a restaurant near Bryant Park eating and drinking. I go to get my glass of prosecco, drink some and then put it down and this guy (a bum who had walked in) walked over to my table asking me for money. I looked up thinking "Am I f*cking dreaming?" I didn't get pissed or anything because I was in a good mood, and a waiter rushed over before I had to say anything to wisk him out.

What I will do is if someone asks for food, I will buy it. This one hispanic guy sees me walking towards Union Square, then quickly decides to hit me up. I guess I looked "sociable" for once. I was already up on his plan, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt, so he asks if I could get him some food. I said "Sure, I'm heading to get something now, so come with me." He goes "Oh, I'm heading in the opposite direction..." I go "Well, if you want something to eat, I'm going this way, so..."

Guy was full of sh*t of course, but there was one time where this other hispanic guy was really hungry and I took him to a diner, told the waitress to get him something to eat and gave her the cash for it. He wasn't dirty or anything. Was just in a rough spot. He was so grateful because originally I had basically told him in short to f*ck off before he could even approach me. :eek:

Archived