NY Daily News Reporter tries to get a Manhattan-based 'yellow' cab to get to the outerboros

Shortline Bus

Here an intresting account based on complaints from their readers that a Daily News Report tries a 'test.' How diffcult it is to get a Manhattan Based "Yellow Cab" from Midtown to any of the "outerboros' of the city.

Taxis plead traffic, shift change, or just plain refuse to take News rider to outer boroughs

BY Kathleen Lucadamo

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, March 10th 2011

Daily News Staff News Reporter Kathleen Lucadamo got turned down 80% of the time she tried to take a taxi to the outer boroughs from midtown.

"Nope.

That's what eight out of 10 cabbies told me Wednesday when I tried to hail a taxi to the outer boroughs from midtown.

Three said they didn't want to cope with traffic so close to their shifts ending, another was headed back to his garage in the Bronx - not near my Brooklyn location - and three sped off as soon as I uttered my destination.

Another debated taking me to Third Ave. and Union St. in Brooklyn - one of the addresses used in the city's sting - but decided, "Hmmm. I have to change the shift soon."

Most were apologetic, offering me train directions to avoid getting stuck in traffic or a better location to flag down cabbies who just started their shift.

And there were the two who were willing, though not necessarily thrilled, to take me to my off-Manhattan address.

"Sure, I'll take you," said one cabbie when I asked if he'd take me to the West Brighton section of Staten Island at 4:15 p.m.

After I pressed one for a price to Richmond Hill, Queens, he suggested I save a few bucks by taking the nearby railroad. Still, he was fine taking me himself.

"You can take the train or I'll take you. Whatever you want," the driver said.

Cab drivers who are off-duty, headed back to the garage or have shifts that are ending aren't required to take drivers to their destination, the Taxi and Limousine Commission says.

Three cabbies rolled up the window and sped off after I asked to go to Brooklyn or Queens."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/10/2011-03-10_taxis_plead_traffic_shift_change_or_just_plain_refuse_to_take_news_rider_to_oute.html#ixzz1GDq207AO

I don't bother w/the taxis in the city too often unless I'm visiting a client nearby the office and my boss is paying for it, or I'm crashing at a friends' house in the city and it's really late because most of the time you're sitting in traffic, BUT that's neither here nor there. These guys should be fined for discriminating against folks based on where they live AND the rules for being fined for bringing the car back after a certain time should be changed, this way they wouldn't have an excuse. As for certain people not paying there's some truth to that, so perhaps they can have folks pay beforehand, but the meter is the problem. Perhaps they could pay a certain % beforehand and then the rest once they get to the destination.

The funny thing is, I've never had any problems getting a cab. If anything the cabs are hunking at me assuming I need one as I'm trying to cross the street to get to the express bus or am waiting for the express bus. lol

Even though this seems to happen alot, I still see numerous cabs in the outer boroughs.

Actually as Im typing this theres a taxi in the driveway of my building.

(sorry can't get a pic Its too far down there :P)

I don't bother w/the taxis in the city too often unless I'm visiting a client nearby the office and my boss is paying for it, or I'm crashing at a friends' house in the city and it's really late because most of the time you're sitting in traffic, BUT that's neither here nor there. These guys should be fined for discriminating against folks based on where they live AND the rules for being fined for bringing the car back after a certain time should be changed, this way they wouldn't have an excuse. As for certain people not paying there's some truth to that, so perhaps they can have folks pay beforehand, but the meter is the problem. Perhaps they could pay a certain % beforehand and then the rest once they get to the destination.

The funny thing is, I've never had any problems getting a cab. If anything the cabs are hunking at me assuming I need one as I'm trying to cross the street to get to the express bus or am waiting for the express bus. lol

The reason why they have those rules in place is so that there is a supply of taxis for cabbies who are starting their shift. If they didn't have them in place, you'd have no cars available for drivers starting their shift during rush hour, as all of the cabbies would want to be out collecting passengers.

I'm not sure how the cabbies pay the company that gives them their medallions, but I would say that the price the cabbie pays to the company could be changed to correspond to the time of day. For example:

To take the taxi out from midnight to 6AM would cost the cabbie $15 per hour

To take the taxi out from 6AM to 10AM and 3PM to 7PM would cost $30 per hour.

To take the taxi out all other times would cost $20 per hour.

That way, there is no rush to return the taxi. If the driver spends an extra hour collecting passengers, he has to pay the higher rate. If not, he has to return the taxi.

As far as discriminating on where to take people, you have to consider that taxis aren't a public agency that has to take people to far-flung areas and lose money doing it. The driver has to take home some money for himself, and going all the way to say, West Brighton, Staten Island or Richmond Hill, Queens, or another far-flung place could be more trouble than it is worth.

This report is every reason why I don't use Yellow Cabs unless I absolutely have to.

I am in agreement. When I still lived in Brooklyn I would take a Manhattan based yellow cabs at most a couple of times a year. It would be either be flying in on an overnight flight at JFK or coming home from a night on the town i.e going with friends to the nightclubs in Greenwich Village/Union Sq and did not want to deal with up to a 90-minute local ride to Stillwell Terminal on the subway.

Other times I would use the local car service calling in advance. Or sometimes, using the then 'dollar vans' along Mermaid from Stillwell-Sea Gate enterence on

West 37th St near where I used to live.

Or even now if it's trying to catch the last 150am Northbound Metro North Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie. That it. NYC Yellow cabs say 10 years ago and even now in 2011 is too expensive for me.

The reason why they have those rules in place is so that there is a supply of taxis for cabbies who are starting their shift. If they didn't have them in place, you'd have no cars available for drivers starting their shift during rush hour, as all of the cabbies would want to be out collecting passengers.

I'm not sure how the cabbies pay the company that gives them their medallions, but I would say that the price the cabbie pays to the company could be changed to correspond to the time of day. For example:

To take the taxi out from midnight to 6AM would cost the cabbie $15 per hour

To take the taxi out from 6AM to 10AM and 3PM to 7PM would cost $30 per hour.

To take the taxi out all other times would cost $20 per hour.

That way, there is no rush to return the taxi. If the driver spends an extra hour collecting passengers, he has to pay the higher rate. If not, he has to return the taxi.

As far as discriminating on where to take people, you have to consider that taxis aren't a public agency that has to take people to far-flung areas and lose money doing it. The driver has to take home some money for himself, and going all the way to say, West Brighton, Staten Island or Richmond Hill, Queens, or another far-flung place could be more trouble than it is worth.

Regarding your "far-flung" place comment, well that's too bad. Whether you realize it or not, I don't see the difference between this and a cabbie discriminating against someone for the colour of their skin and it's the same thing. I'm sure you'd be offended if you weren't picked up based on your background or religion or something like that, so if someone may be going to a poor or suburban neighbourhood, they're not entitled to get a taxi?? Last I checked, those yellow taxis weren't just for folks who live in Manhattan, but for EVERYONE, including those who live in "far-flung" areas as you put it.

I agree 100% with Mayor Bloomberg on this one in terms of the discriminating going on and it's disgusting. The rules need to be adjusted so that they have no excuse not to pick up folks who need a taxi to the outer boroughs.

My friend's address over on Park and 39th is just as good as mine is in West Brighton.

I wish I could go to my job and not do my job and expect to have said job the next day. Maybe I should be a taxi driver!

I mean imagine me have a client come into my office and I tell them, oh sorry, I can't take your project because you live at such and such address. Utterly disgusting. If they're not making any money driving taxis, no one is forcing them to keep the job. Get a job that pays more, but don't use that as an excuse to discriminate against people.

I have a co-worker who lives in Yorkville and she has a lot of family that lives on Staten Island. She was so ignorant in trying to put down Staten Island because she lives in the city, as if she's better, making stupid remarks and such. Meanwhile her family lives in very nice exclusive parts of Staten Island. When they took her around, she was surprised at how nice it was. She came into my office talking about how lovely Staten Island is and such and I told her "For those who want to talk sh*t about Staten Island, that's fine. Let them remain ignorant. Let them stay right where they're at and we'll stay right here on Staten Island."

The livery cabs are even better especially at 4am in the morning. They try and negotiate a price.

I've told a few to bug off on occasion. 35 bucks to go to the lower east side? Or I make an offer and they raise it $5. You win by saying "final offer" cuz they're not gonna get that many fares at that hour.

Yellow cabs is a different story. I'm wondering when this was done. Sounds like it was done towards the late afternoon in which case it makes a lot of sense that a lot of cabbies would be changing shift. If it was 10 cabbies and each ride was asked for at a different time on a different day, then the writer might be on to something, but for now it just sounds like more "yellow" journalism - pun intended - based on a small sample size.

I call shenanigans

Regarding your "far-flung" place comment, well that's too bad. Whether you realize it or not, I don't see the difference between this and a cabbie discriminating against someone for the colour of their skin and it's the same thing. I'm sure you'd be offended if you weren't picked up based on your background or religion or something like that, so if someone may be going to a poor or suburban neighbourhood, they're not entitled to get a taxi?? Last I checked, those yellow taxis weren't just for folks who live in Manhattan, but for EVERYONE, including those who live in "far-flung" areas as you put it.

I agree 100% with Mayor Bloomberg on this one in terms of the discriminating going on and it's disgusting. The rules need to be adjusted so that they have no excuse not to pick up folks who need a taxi to the outer boroughs.

My friend's address over on Park and 39th is just as good as mine is in West Brighton.

First of all, you have to think of the cab driver. He is depending on getting a certain amount of money to pay his bills. Somebody going to an outer borough involves more time and, therefore, the driver loses the potential to collect fare for people going shorter distances.

Second of all, if somebody can't afford to live in Manhattan, I'm sorry, but that is their problem. There are certain rights that we are given in this country (a right to a free education, decent food, decent health care, etc), but if somebody can't afford to live in Manhattan, why should a private person with his own financial issues have to subsidize them? It is one thing if it is a government program (free or subsidized transit, free lunches for students, etc), but this is a private person.

I wish I could go to my job and not do my job and expect to have said job the next day. Maybe I should be a taxi driver!

You wouldn't get paid for doing the service if you turned down the job. Also, you have to consider that nobody is going to regulate whether they can and can't pick up fares. If there is a problem once they are in the taxi, that is a different story altogether.

Also, you have to consider what the taxi driver has to do: He has to pay the medallion company to take out the taxi, and it is his responsibilty to get as many rides as he can-for his own sake. If he wants to turn down a job because he feels it isn't worth it, it is up to him.

First of all, you have to think of the cab driver. He is depending on getting a certain amount of money to pay his bills. Somebody going to an outer borough involves more time and, therefore, the driver loses the potential to collect fare for people going shorter distances.

Second of all, if somebody can't afford to live in Manhattan, I'm sorry, but that is their problem. There are certain rights that we are given in this country (a right to a free education, decent food, decent health care, etc), but if somebody can't afford to live in Manhattan, why should a private person with his own financial issues have to subsidize them? It is one thing if it is a government program (free or subsidized transit, free lunches for students, etc), but this is a private person.

You wouldn't get paid for doing the service if you turned down the job. Also, you have to consider that nobody is going to regulate whether they can and can't pick up fares. If there is a problem once they are in the taxi, that is a different story altogether.

Also, you have to consider what the taxi driver has to do: He has to pay the medallion company to take out the taxi, and it is his responsibilty to get as many rides as he can-for his own sake. If he wants to turn down a job because he feels it isn't worth it, it is up to him.

What does someone living in Manhattan have to do with anything?? And who said that yellow cabs are only for Manhattan exclusively??? I don't know where you got that idea from but it's totally false. And I like how you tip toed around my example...

The fact of the matter is people have a right to expect to be taken where they need to go regardless of whether or not it is in the city and second no one is forcing the cabbie to work as a driver. He/she chose that job. I support all fines imposed upon them for discriminating against people based on where they live and I'm sure the city will see to it that the fines are raised and imposed to the max. :tup:

I think the majority of New Yorkers support the fines as well. If they can't deal with taking folks to the outerboroughs because of the costs then they can find another job. Simple as that.

I just want to confirm that you actually do live in an outerborough because if I didn't know any better from your comments I would think you were some snob from the city.

Yeah, but let them get a hold of some tourist that's looking to head to LGA or JFK, and watch how many of them line up !

price gouging ftl.....

Lol when i would post on the 319 I would always see NYC Taxis going to EWR. Shyt I remember one night I didnt feel like taking the subway back to the bronx and got a cab and told that turban wearing ass to take me to Eastchester and he said these exact words "GET OUT!" in that funny ass accent. The Food I had with me(Spanish) I threw it all over the back of his cab l0l. I ended up taking the (5) anyways l0l.

Wow, thats pretty insulting. Youre not subsidizing someone by driving them into Manhattan if they're paying. You're doing your job. There's a difference that you simply refuse to see. If there's no money in it then find another job. Employment in this country isn't mandatory. Don't blame the residents of the outer boroughs for that either. That's why a lot of people outside of Manhattan dont like your mayor and the residents of Manhattan. They're arrogant, selfish and can't think two feet outside of their own shadow to save their life.

Lol when i would post on the 319 I would always see NYC Taxis going to EWR. Shyt I remember one night I didnt feel like taking the subway back to the bronx and got a cab and told that turban wearing ass to take me to Eastchester and he said these exact words "GET OUT!" in that funny ass accent. The Food I had with me(Spanish) I threw it all over the back of his cab l0l. I ended up taking the (5) anyways l0l.

In honor of the "Great" NYC yellow taxis here a song created by Rock Star Lenny Kravitz A NYC Native from about 1994-'95. Sadly some of the crap addressed are still a reality in 2011. *Warning* This song is for mature audiences only with MA-14 for languages. * With that said still a well written song.

Wow, thats pretty insulting. Youre not subsidizing someone by driving them into Manhattan if they're paying. You're doing your job. There's a difference that you simply refuse to see. If there's no money in it then find another job. Employment in this country isn't mandatory. Don't blame the residents of the outer boroughs for that either. That's why a lot of people outside of Manhattan dont like your mayor and the residents of Manhattan. They're arrogant, selfish and can't think two feet outside of their own shadow to save their life.

Checkmate is supposedly from Brooklyn and now lives on Staten Island, but sometimes with what he says you wouldn't know it.

Next it'll be okay for cabbies to select who they "choose" to carry around Manhattan too. I guess if I'm going from my office on 5th to a less desirable part of the Manhattan maybe the cabbie will want to throw me out too because he's not making enough money off of my trip. Smh...

What does someone living in Manhattan have to do with anything?? And who said that yellow cabs are only for Manhattan exclusively??? I don't know where you got that idea from but it's totally false. And I like how you tip toed around my example...

The fact of the matter is people have a right to expect to be taken where they need to go regardless of whether or not it is in the city and second no one is forcing the cabbie to work as a driver. He/she chose that job. I support all fines imposed upon them for discriminating against people based on where they live and I'm sure the city will see to it that the fines are raised and imposed to the max. :tup:

I think the majority of New Yorkers support the fines as well. If they can't deal with taking folks to the outerboroughs because of the costs then they can find another job. Simple as that.

I just want to confirm that you actually do live in an outerborough because if I didn't know any better from your comments I would think you were some snob from the city.

I don't see what you are saying. You said "Last I checked, those yellow taxis weren't just for folks who live in Manhattan" which means that people living in Manhattan are relevant to this discussion.

I never said that taxis were for Manhattan exclusively. They are for whereever there is demand for the service. Unfortuntely, that tends to be Manhattan, but if you go into places a little bit further out (Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, and Long Island City, as well as taxi stands in places like St. George), you can get a taxi.

Nobody forced the taxi driver to take that job, but, lets say that you got rid of every taxi driver who turned down passengers going to the outer boroughs. The remaining drivers would have to take a long drive to get out of Manhattan (which is alright, since the passenger is paying for it), but then they would have to go back to Manhattan. Why? Because that is where the customers are. The taxi driver knows that there is very little chance that somebody is going to be out of the streets of Gerrittsen Beach, or Bay Ridge, or Bayside looking for a taxi, so they have to head back to Manhattan to pick up customers.

If they had just stayed in Manhattan all along, making trips around Midtown, or from Midtown to Downtown, they wouldn't have to travel far (I guess you can call it deadheading) to get to a busy place where a person would want a taxi.

There are also no fines for turning down passengers based on where their destination is (not that there would be any way to enforce that anyway). If the driver took you and drove you halfway to your destination, that would obviously be wrong, but if the driver simply didn't let you in the taxi, they didn't do anything wrong.

Also, you have to consider that some of these drivers have to get the taxi back to the depot by a certain time, or else they pay a whole bunch of fees. From what I've heard, there is a major depot in Long Island City, so a taxi driver might be hesitant about taking a fare from say, Penn Station to Wall Street simply because it is in the opposite direction of where they are headed.

And yes, I am a snob from Manhattan. Because snobs from Manhattan spend all of their time in Staten Island taking local buses across the North and West Shores.

If a taxi is going all the way to the outer boroughs, the customer is paying, but the customer isn't paying for all of the time the taxi driver spends getting back to Manhattan to pick up more customers (like I said, they aren't going to get any fares in the outer boroughs).

Let's face it: Taxi drivers are going to be very hesitant about traveling all the way out of Manhattan. There simply aren't that many drivers who are going to do that, so if you fired everybody who wasn't willing, you'd be left with very few taxi drivers.

And, unless you live outside of NYC, Bloomberg is your mayor too.

Checkmate is supposedly from Brooklyn and now lives on Staten Island, but sometimes with what he says you wouldn't know it.

Next it'll be okay for cabbies to select who they "choose" to carry around Manhattan too. I guess if I'm going from my office on 5th to a less desirable part of the Manhattan maybe the cabbie will want to throw me out too because he's not making enough money off of my trip. Smh...

They can already choose who they do and don't want to pick up. Remember: The taxi driver depends on this job for income. Also, if you're going to a "less desirable part of Manhattan, there is a higher chance that you won't pay, or that you'll rob them. The taxi driver has to decide if it is worth the time and risk to make the trip.

If a taxi is going all the way to the outer boroughs, the customer is paying, but the customer isn't paying for all of the time the taxi driver spends getting back to Manhattan to pick up more customers (like I said, they aren't going to get any fares in the outer boroughs).

Let's face it: Taxi drivers are going to be very hesitant about traveling all the way out of Manhattan. There simply aren't that many drivers who are going to do that, so if you fired everybody who wasn't willing, you'd be left with very few taxi drivers.

They don't get a lot of fares in the outer-borough because people don't expect them to be there because they have a long, protracted history of not serving the outer-boroughs. It's not the fault of a person who lives in Brooklyn that works in Manhattan that cabbies don't serve them, and don't disparage them for that either.

And I don't give a crap what they're hesitant about. Do your damn job and suck it up.

I don't see what you are saying. You said "Last I checked, those yellow taxis weren't just for folks who live in Manhattan" which means that people living in Manhattan are relevant to this discussion.

I never said that taxis were for Manhattan exclusively. They are for whereever there is demand for the service. Unfortuntely, that tends to be Manhattan, but if you go into places a little bit further out (Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, and Long Island City, as well as taxi stands in places like St. George), you can get a taxi.

Nobody forced the taxi driver to take that job, but, lets say that you got rid of every taxi driver who turned down passengers going to the outer boroughs. The remaining drivers would have to take a long drive to get out of Manhattan (which is alright, since the passenger is paying for it), but then they would have to go back to Manhattan. Why? Because that is where the customers are. The taxi driver knows that there is very little chance that somebody is going to be out of the streets of Gerrittsen Beach, or Bay Ridge, or Bayside looking for a taxi, so they have to head back to Manhattan to pick up customers.

If they had just stayed in Manhattan all along, making trips around Midtown, or from Midtown to Downtown, they wouldn't have to travel far (I guess you can call it deadheading) to get to a busy place where a person would want a taxi.

There are also no fines for turning down passengers based on where their destination is (not that there would be any way to enforce that anyway). If the driver took you and drove you halfway to your destination, that would obviously be wrong, but if the driver simply didn't let you in the taxi, they didn't do anything wrong.

Also, you have to consider that some of these drivers have to get the taxi back to the depot by a certain time, or else they pay a whole bunch of fees. From what I've heard, there is a major depot in Long Island City, so a taxi driver might be hesitant about taking a fare from say, Penn Station to Wall Street simply because it is in the opposite direction of where they are headed.

And yes, I am a snob from Manhattan. Because snobs from Manhattan spend all of their time in Staten Island taking local buses across the North and West Shores.

They can already choose who they do and don't want to pick up. Remember: The taxi driver depends on this job for income. Also, if you're going to a "less desirable part of Manhattan, there is a higher chance that you won't pay, or that you'll rob them. The taxi driver has to decide if it is worth the time and risk to make the trip.

I have never had car service on Staten Island turn me down to go anywhere on Staten Island and they'll even come to Manhattan to pick me up and take me back to Staten Island if I so asked, so that excuse of deadheading doesn't cut it at all. Sometimes I only need to go a few blocks because it's uphill and I may have bags or something w/me that I don't feel like carrying and I'll call and they'll have a car for me quickly and they don't complain about it being a small fare just like they don't complain when I'm going to further distances.

Everybody is out to make money, but that doesn't mean that they can just discriminate against people. Hell using your analogy that because folks are looking to make a buck, it would be okay for only select people to be allowed to eat at certain restaurants because they don't spend a certain amount of money.

And correction... Let's face it: Yellow taxi drivers are very hesitant about going outside of Manhattan, not all cabbies. These are some of same guys that were charging the "suburban" rate for fares inside of Manhattan to rip off people, yet they can't go to the outer boroughs because they're not making enough... Yeah right.

I mean you've got a point that they do have expenses and all and the regulations should be changed, but please don't sit here and make them out to be saints because a lot of them try to get over, which is why I don't have any sympathy for them.

Two other points... One, you claim that you're not saying that yellow taxis are just for people in Manhattan, yet on the other hand you say that if people can't afford to live Manhattan then that's too bad, so indirectly you're still telling those people that commute from the outer-boroughs to Manhattan to take a hike, just not directly.

Second, they still lose money even if they stay in Manhattan because what about all of the time that they spend stuck in traffic???

I don't see what the commotion is... maybe it's b/c I know they aint stoppin for my black a** anyway..... and by "they", I'm referring to the yellow cab drivers.... far as those lincoln towncars go... lol... if you aint wearin a suit (or at least a trenchcoat)... lol, those drivers wont even acknowledge you....

I'd rather take ANY crosstown bus, over a yellow cab... hell, I'd rather take those double decker buses...

I'm not even being funny w/ that.

They get WAY too much flack in the news/media when it comes to their reckless driving....

the way they cut city buses off, is far worse than I've EVER seen any of the dollar cabs/vans do....

Let those fu**ers stay in manhattan...

One less car on Brooklyn, SI, Queens, and Bronx roads....

I never took a cab in New York City. I've taken livery cabs, but not yellow cabs. I've used yellow cabs in DC twice. Once was when I had a lot of luggage. The other was when I missed the Metrobus to my hotel and didn't feel like waiting 45 minutes for the next one. It's unlikely that I'll ever take a NYC cab. They're too expensive and bigoted. Plus, I have the stamina to walk up to 3 miles.

How much is a New York Yellow Cab today and is the fare still based on 1/5 miles (4 Manhattan north-south blocks)?

the fare is based on how much of an out-of-towner you look like!

nah, seriously, I think it's $2 per mile... and like 2.50 just to get in the damned thing....

Archived