Questions re: C

Subcarfan

So, I'm new to this, but seriously interested in all of it. I want to start learning, and i want to start with the C. Someone have answers? Thx!

-What exactly makes it so hard to replace the C trains with newer cars?

and

-When are they going to do this? Any Ideas?

So, I'm new to this, but seriously interested in all of it. I want to start learning, and i want to start with the C. Someone have answers? Thx!

-What exactly makes it so hard to replace the C trains with newer cars?

and

-When are they going to do this? Any Ideas?

1. They have no new cars available. All are taken on other lines.

2. They are EITHER going to do this ~2014, when the next car order comes in, or in ~2030, when the last old cars retire (but by then, now-new cars will be old again). It depends.

okay. ive been seeing posts that refer to different lengths of cars and some trains having different number of cars in each train. for some reason it seems that the C would be a hard train to replace because of car sizes. is this true?

the cars that are on the C now are just as long as the newer trains (60 feet). what you probably read is the fact that the C trains are only 8 cars long instead of the usual 10.

the C line is capable of running full length 10 car trains. in theory they can replace the cars on the C whenever they wanted to as there are no restrictions unlike some other routes. i believe the reason why the C and A gets old cars is the fact that it is convienent to the train yard at 207th street in manhattan, where the old trains go to die basically.

I don't think size is a factor.

The BMT/IND uses two sizes: 60 feet (R32 Brightliner, R42, and R160) and 75 feet (R46, and R68). The (C) has been eight sixty foot cars (for a long time) but it could be six-seventy-five foot cars. The lines that are affected by size are the (J)/(Z) (M) L due to platform length and clearences. These lines can run only sixty foot cars and historically have run the R27 R30s, R42s, R143s and R160s.

Welcome aboard to NYCTF, (S)ub©ar(F)an! ;)

the (C) might get R46 in the future (in 2015 when the R32's retire). But Still Im not sure.

Isn't there another thread about this? :confused:

It could but we just have to wait and see.. And why are you always using that confuesd face :P

Guest lance25

@4P3607: Cut him some slack, he's new.

To chime in on the question, the (C) is a completely underground line, thus less susceptible to the elements of nature the R32s would receive on another line, like the (:P, (N) or (J)/(Z). But that's just my personal opinion.

R32s have stainless steel bodies and wouldn't be affected by the weather as much.

But as covered by everyone: there's no where else to put the R32s [unless it was to be the (:P and based from CI yard]. So be default it is the (C). The (A) has two branches and needs the R46s for their electronic signs. The (C) runs 8-car trains [shorter trains but more frequency].

Middays the Fulton local stations are like ghost towns. 8-car trains are more than enough. Plus it's either longer trains and less of them or what they have now. No sense in running max car lengths if they aren't needed.

Sure there are more than enough R32s, but they are old and if they don't need all 10 at a time, then there's no need to waste resources to run them.

Welcome aboard to NYCTF, (S)ub©ar(F)an! ;)

the (C) might get R46 in the future (in 2015 when the R32's retire). But Still Im not sure.

Isn't there another thread about this? :confused:

Uh no, The R32s will be retired and replaced by the R179 order in less then few years.

The R46 cars will be replacing in 2015 by the upcoming R211 order.

But they had more than enough R32s before they scrapped most of them.

They retired the Phase II's because NYCT did not want to spend the money to SMS them and have already retired/stored maybe about 50 Phase I's for poor performance. Also the Phase II's had NY Air Brake brake valves, which were very high maintance and trouble prone. These were replaced on the R68's.

As far as I'm concerned, NYCT should retire the rest of the R32's NOW. But they can't due to no replacements. They suck. I'm working at 168 right now and in the past week or so in the station or relay track: brake pipe rupture, stuck brakes, defective controller, train failed to charge until we charged it up from the "wrong end" then it charged from the correct end, door problems en-route, slow trains, loss of t/o indication upon relaying the train, and much more I can't remember right now. This does not happen elsewhere as often. We get far too many calls to "shop upon arrival" than at other terminals.

But on these kind of boards, there is a love affair with these things only because of the RFW. They are 47 year old cars and should be taken out of their misery, and mine.......................IMMEDIATELY!

"But on these kind of boards, there is a love affair with these things only because of the RFW. They are 47 year old cars and should be taken out of their misery, and mine.......................IMMEDIATELY!"

Oh don't worry. I hate them just as much as you do if not more. Their brakes hurt my ears and I have super sensitive hearing so it hurts me more than the average person. I think they have the loudest brakes of ay train currently in service.

Archived