N4 Limited?

Okay yesterday morning...I was walking towards Parsons Boulevard so I can take the

(F) to Lower East Side and I saw the N4 bus parked @ Archer Avenue and Parsons Boulevard.....destination sign reading LIMITED. So my question is since when the N4 became a Limited? Please let's try to to keep it on topic and be respectful to each other!

dsc01801u.jpg

Okay yesterday morning...I was walking towards Parsons Boulevard so I can take the

(F) to Lower East Side and I saw the N4 bus parked @ Archer Avenue and Parsons Boulevard.....destination sign reading LIMITED. So my question is since when the N4 became a Limited? Please let's try to to keep it on topic and be respectful to each other!

dsc01801u.jpg

I had a feeling they would do this!!!!! I guess they want the bus to move faster.

Interesting... it is known that LTD service saves $$$ when there is no corresponding addition in local service. If this is a program in the signs, maybe this is one of their plans in the service reductions?

Those who frequent the N4-how's turnover?

For one, I hope that Nassau County intends to go through with this; what they need to do is have short-turn locals ending in Rockville Centre and then have the Limiteds run like this.

From Freeport: All stops to Centre Avenue in Rockville Centre, then:

Hempstead Avenue/5 Corners

Rockaway Parkway

Central Avenue

Hook Creek Boulevard

Springfield Boulevard (drop-off)

Farmers Boulevard (drop-off)

Baisley Boulevard (drop-off)

Linden Boulevard (drop-off)

Liberty Avenue (drop-off)

Jamaica Center (drop-off)

From Jamaica Center:

Jamaica Center (pick-up)

Liberty Avenue (pick-up)

Linden Boulevard (pick-up)

Baisley Boulevard (pick-up)

Farmers Boulevard (pick-up)

Springfield Boulevard (pick-up)

Hook Creek Boulevard

Central Avenue

Rockaway Avenue

Windsor Avenue (interchange from local buses)

Then all stops to Freeport

During this time, local service would start and end at the Rockville Centre Railroad Station.

This would save money in that service is concentrated near the western end, and fewer buses are needed.

For one, I hope that Nassau County intends to go through with this; what they need to do is have short-turn locals ending in Rockville Centre and then have the Limiteds run like this.

From Freeport: All stops to Centre Avenue in Rockville Centre, then:

Hempstead Avenue/5 Corners

Rockaway Parkway

Central Avenue

Hook Creek Boulevard

Springfield Boulevard (drop-off)

Farmers Boulevard (drop-off)

Baisley Boulevard (drop-off)

Linden Boulevard (drop-off)

Liberty Avenue (drop-off)

Jamaica Center (drop-off)

From Jamaica Center:

Jamaica Center (pick-up)

Liberty Avenue (pick-up)

Linden Boulevard (pick-up)

Baisley Boulevard (pick-up)

Farmers Boulevard (pick-up)

Springfield Boulevard (pick-up)

Hook Creek Boulevard

Central Avenue

Rockaway Avenue

Windsor Avenue (interchange from local buses)

Then all stops to Freeport

During this time, local service would start and end at the Rockville Centre Railroad Station.

This would save money in that service is concentrated near the western end, and fewer buses are needed.

Some members want the the N4 LTD to go non-stop from Jamaica Ctr to Hook Creek Blvd. As for me, IMO the LTD should operate the entire route, just like the N6

I disagree with a N4 Limited. Before they think about limited stop service, they need to improve local service. This is the same route that runs every 30 minutes on Sunday. Also, given the situation at LI Bus, it's best to maintain the existing services rather than adding new services.

I disagree with a N4 Limited. Before they think about limited stop service, they need to improve local service. This is the same route that runs every 30 minutes on Sunday. Also, given the situation at LI Bus, it's best to maintain the existing services rather than adding new services.

As is the policy with all limited-stop routes, the limited service would be carved out of the existing local service (so the "new" limited buses would be former local buses now making limited stops). A limited would be nice, but the only point where the service is frequent enough that the local passengers wouldn't have excessive waits is during rush hours, when the service runs every 8 minutes (so local passengers would have to wait roughly 15 minutes for a bus).

Why would the code even be in the system if they weren't planning to implement this service?

Sometimes they have codes just in case they decide to implement the service in the future. I doubt it costs them much, if anything to keep the code in the system.

By the way, how is the ridership on the N40/N41? Is it possible to have the N41 (or N40) operate as a limited-stop route during rush hours?

Stops can be:

Mineola Intermodal Center

Hempstead Transit Center

Greenwich Street/Jerusalem Avenue

Greenwich Street/Uniondale Avenue

Nassau Road/Babylon Turnpike

then local stops to Freeport

Also, does anybody have a list of stops for the N20 limited? I checked the schedule, but all it said is that the limited bypasses the Great Neck LIRR station (which to me seems pretty stupid, since it is a major transfer point)

yeah, but that diversion alone adds at least 5 minutes to its runtime....

that's just to go back & forth from there; never mind the added time it takes to offload pax & for pax to embark upon buses....

the difference b/w N20 locals & the LTD is that the LTD doesn't serve middle neck road (basically, LIRR Great Neck), and the loop inside NYIT... may not seem like much, but having buses do that does save time.....

yes, LIRR Great Neck is a major pickup stop....

but FYI, N20's get crowded well before it reaches LIRR Great Neck, w/ all those college kids (and students from some private school, I don't know the name of) that take that route b/w Hicksville and Middle neck road (the street it takes to get to LIRR Great Neck), towards Flushing...

Do you think it would be better to have the limited stop only at major cross-streets, and skip all of the minor stops?

For example, it could stop at:

Main Street

Parsons Blvd

Francis Lewis Blvd

Bell Blvd

Little Neck Parkway

Great Neck LIRR station

Community Drive

Mineola Avenue

Glen Cove Road

NYIT

SUNY Westbury

Broadway Mall

Hicksville LIRR

Could be the driver that decided to put that code up for the N4 LTD.

But the questions are....

A. Have there been any limited service in the past? And if not, is there any limited service planned?

B. Why would he randomly throw that up there? Doesn't make sense to me!

But the questions are....

A. Have there been any limited service in the past? And if not, is there any limited service planned?

B. Why would he randomly throw that up there? Doesn't make sense to me!

There has never been any N4 LTD service in the past. I can't really answer B for you

Archived