Twin towers express bus sighting

Via Garibaldi 8

I was on an X2 this morning coming out of the Battery Tunnel and I spotted bus 2185 with the American Flag painted on the side and the Twin Towers painted on the back of the white part of the bus. It's the first time I've seen it in person and it was heading back to Brooklyn and looked like it was in service as an X27 but the display screen was hard to read since it's an older MCI.

I was surprised to see it out as I thought it was in storage. If that bus is indeed still in service, when it will be retired and put aside as part of the museum fleet? It's a good 10 years old now and from what I read it sustained heavy damage during 9.11. :eek:

It was hevily damaged on 9/11 but it was rebuilt. The flags on the sides are hand painted. Technically, its still on the active roster and that's the only bus on the active roster to not have the blue stripe. Usually it does a run or 2 in the mornings then goes back to Ulmer Pk. Looks like that bus is a shoe-in for part of the museum fleet cuz of the history it had

It was hevily damaged on 9/11 but it was rebuilt. The flags on the sides are hand painted. Technically, its still on the active roster and that's the only bus on the active roster to not have the blue stripe. Usually it does a run or 2 in the mornings then goes back to Ulmer Pk. Looks like that bus is a shoe-in for part of the museum fleet cuz of the history it had

Ah, really? Interesting.

Here's the video of the damaged bus

Another thing that I'm curious about is what made them deem this express bus safe to ride? Remembering all of the toxic fumes and such that covered that entire area and seeing the damage this bus sustained and it makes you wonder... :eek:

Another thing that I'm curious about is what made them deem this express bus safe to ride? Remembering all of the toxic fumes and such that covered that entire area and seeing the damage this bus sustained and it makes you wonder... :eek:

Probably also as a testament to show that the MTA can rebuild anything from scratch (why it exists today is similar to why 0010, formerly 4396, does)...the bus at the time was only a year old. I believe that it is also the only civilian (non-emergency) vehicle that was covered with the Twin Towers' dust to be saved.

2185 does morning runs like everyone has said . The bus is only taken out for morning runs and for special ocassions , they take 2185 out if a driver passed or something . A friend of mine drove 2185 the other week this driver named " Charlie , they drove the bus to staten island for his funeral , it was about 25 drivers on board .

2185 does morning runs like everyone has said . The bus is only taken out for morning runs and for special ocassions , they take 2185 out if a driver passed or something . A friend of mine drove 2185 the other week this driver named " Charlie , they drove the bus to staten island for his funeral , it was about 25 drivers on board .

That's pretty cool... :tup:

They cleaned it out.

Unfortunately, bus no. 1998 was not so lucky...it was damaged by the collapse and was scrapped afterwards.

I would say more "completely destroyed" than damaged. All that was left was the frame.

Does anyone know what happened to the B/O and passengers that were on that express bus on 9/11? Gosh, I can't even imagine how terrible it must have been to be driving a bus into and out of that horrific mess on that day.

IINM, the bus was on a layover when the towers came down

Archived