Should airlines create separate sections for kids, larger fliers?

Shortline Bus

By Charisse Jones, USA TODAY

March 23, 2011

"It's not that Ian Burford hates children. But the founder of the Facebook page "Airlines should have kid-free flights!" would prefer not to have a wailing tot nearby when he flies

I'm 6-4, so seating is always an issue," says Burford, who launched his page a year ago. "But when you're uncomfortable anyway, and then you have some young child screaming or kicking the back of your chair, it just puts you in a bad position, because there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. It's not a case of not liking kids. It's a case of not wanting them sitting next to you or behind you when you travel."

Across the skies, there's a growing debate over whether airlines should do more to segregate the seating of passengers — with designated areas for kids, for example. At a time when increasingly crowded jets have helped to make flying less pleasant for many passengers and social media allow them to instantly tweet their frustrations to the world, a comfortable perch on the plane — and some tranquility around it — has become ever more precious.

Polls of fliers by the travel search site Skyscanner and of business travelers by Britain's Business Travel & Meetings Show indicate a majority of airline passengers want sections set aside for families, or cabins that are for adults only. Overweight passengers have complained about being humiliated as airlines enforce rules that they pay for a second seat so they won't crowd their fellow fliers. And some passenger advocates say that designated rows for those who are tall, heavy or disabled would be a good idea."

For rest of article

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2011/03/Calls-for-segregated-seating-rise-with-tensions-on-flights--/45212050/1

By Charisse Jones, USA TODAY

March 23, 2011

"It's not that Ian Burford hates children. But the founder of the Facebook page "Airlines should have kid-free flights!" would prefer not to have a wailing tot nearby when he flies

I'm 6-4, so seating is always an issue," says Burford, who launched his page a year ago. "But when you're uncomfortable anyway, and then you have some young child screaming or kicking the back of your chair, it just puts you in a bad position, because there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. It's not a case of not liking kids. It's a case of not wanting them sitting next to you or behind you when you travel."

Across the skies, there's a growing debate over whether airlines should do more to segregate the seating of passengers — with designated areas for kids, for example. At a time when increasingly crowded jets have helped to make flying less pleasant for many passengers and social media allow them to instantly tweet their frustrations to the world, a comfortable perch on the plane — and some tranquility around it — has become ever more precious.

Polls of fliers by the travel search site Skyscanner and of business travelers by Britain's Business Travel & Meetings Show indicate a majority of airline passengers want sections set aside for families, or cabins that are for adults only. Overweight passengers have complained about being humiliated as airlines enforce rules that they pay for a second seat so they won't crowd their fellow fliers. And some passenger advocates say that designated rows for those who are tall, heavy or disabled would be a good idea."

For rest of article

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2011/03/Calls-for-segregated-seating-rise-with-tensions-on-flights--/45212050/1

They keep raising the prices but not giving anything back in return. What's the point of purchasing all of these new aircrafts if folks are all squeezed up and uncomfortable during the ride?

They need to do more to accomodate the passengers and if they're so concerned about making better profits, charge additional tiered level prices. So instead of having just business, and a few other sections, create more sections that are more suitable to the passengers that they have.

I'm sure they could do this by getting feedback from their passengers about what types of flights they take, etc.

How much do people want for crying out loud. Your flying, what the hell do you want? A damn castle in the air? Bad enough people are moaning and bitching over food during flights.

People don't understand planes are space limited, especially if your in a 737 or a 757. Im 6'2 and flown many times. Flew on a 757 to LA and the space didnt bother me. I slept, and when I woke up we was at the gate in LA.

The screaming kids is apart of traveling, wtf do people think? If you dont like it, then you shouldnt be traveling period.

Add a section for kids only, then you get some freak flight attendent touching the kids then you have another issue.

People want all these extra thing and want airlines to bend over backwards for them, but when the prices for tickets raise then you have another issue.

How much do people want for crying out loud. Your flying, what the hell do you want? A damn castle in the air? Bad enough people are moaning and bitching over food during flights.

People don't understand planes are space limited, especially if your in a 737 or a 757. Im 6'2 and flown many times. Flew on a 757 to LA and the space didnt bother me. I slept, and when I woke up we was at the gate in LA.

The screaming kids is apart of traveling, wtf do people think? If you dont like it, then you shouldnt be traveling period.

Add a section for kids only, then you get some freak flight attendent touching the kids then you have another issue.

People want all these extra thing and want airlines to bend over backwards for them, but when the prices for tickets raise then you have another issue.

If they shouldn't expect people to want to much, then they shouldn't be putting out ads/commercials talking about the newest aircrafts that they're purchasing to make airline travel more comfortable. It's sort of a double edged sword, no?

I'm 6'4" and I've been lucky to get seats in areas where I've had leg room on all of my flights to from and within Europe. The 8 hour flight I had back from Germany had the most room. I have to say out of all of the airlines that I've used, Luftansa provides really great service. :cool:

Well said. If we created these 'special sections' for kids and bigger people, a 1-way ticket to fly from LA-NY for example will become $500 regular price easy even on so called discount airlines such as Southwest and Jetblue.

I am 6 feet 5inches (or 1.95 meters)tall and while I love more room/space on my seat, it should be an added luxury for those who can afford it. i.e business class.

Main thing is I hope the airlines still keep these lower prices fares. Or else I won't be able to see my Mom/Sister in Calif. that much any more.:cry:

If they shouldn't expect people to want to much, then they shouldn't be putting out ads/commercials talking about the newest aircrafts that they're purchasing to make airline travel more comfortable. It's sort of a double edged sword, no?

I'm 6'4" and I've been lucky to get seats in areas where I've had leg room on all of my flights to from and within Europe. The 8 hour flight I had back from Germany had the most room. I have to say out of all of the airlines that I've used, Luftansa provides really great service. :cool:

Read the fine print l0l!

Lufthansa uses "Wide Bodies" and those flights need larger planes for the 8+ hr flights.

Read the fine print l0l!

Lufthansa uses "Wide Bodies" and those flights need larger planes for the 8+ hr flights.

Oh I know mate, but think about it. If they really want to make a maximum profit, then why not create another section and charge more for it in addition to the business class? I'm sure there are folks like the guy in the article that wouldn't mind paying extra for it.

Regarding the "Wide Body" planes you are right... I'm telling you...

I took a flight from Rome to Florence on a mid sized aircraft... My God... I never laughed so much from anxiety before in my life! It was snowing and such in Florence and the turbulence was so bad that we had to make an emergency landing in Pisa. The women next to me were praying in Italian and all I could do was laugh non stop as all of the other men were doing. We had experienced mechanical problems delaying the flight to begin with, which just added to the anxiety of the thought of crashing. I literally wanted to kiss the ground when I got off of the plane.

In sum, I will do everything possible to avoid getting on those mid sized airplanes for flights in the future and would be one of those people that would pay more for more comfort.

Oh I know mate, but think about it. If they really want to make a maximum profit, then why not create another section and charge more for it in addition to the business class? I'm sure there are folks like the guy in the article that wouldn't mind paying extra for it.

Regarding the "Wide Body" planes you are right... I'm telling you...

I took a flight from Rome to Florence on a mid sized aircraft... My God... I never laughed so much from anxiety before in my life! It was snowing and such in Florence and the turbulence was so bad that we had to make an emergency landing in Pisa. The women next to me were praying in Italian and all I could do was laugh non stop as all of the other men were doing. We had experienced mechanical problems delaying the flight to begin with, which just added to the anxiety of the thought of crashing. I literally wanted to kiss the ground when I got off of the plane.

In sum, I will do everything possible to avoid getting on those mid sized airplanes for flights in the future and would be one of those people that would pay more for more comfort.

If he wants a new section why didnt he save the trouble and just buy business class or first class from the get go? l0l

Well your most likely going to get a wide body on any overseas flight. Most US based flights and Carribean and Mexico use the Skinny Body.

Believe me I hate the small planes. When I went to England that 777 felt like a castle compared to a 737.

If he wants a new section why didnt he save the trouble and just buy business class or first class from the get go? l0l

Well your most likely going to get a wide body on any overseas flight. Most US based flights and Carribean and Mexico use the Skinny Body.

Believe me I hate the small planes. When I went to England that 777 felt like a castle compared to a 737.

Good question... I think most folks don't think about that though when looking for a flight. During my first flight I booked to Europe since I was a student I got a discount that way and only had one connection once I arrived in Rome. Coming back since I was paying in Euros I decided again to book through a Student Agency to keep my costs down a bit, and that was nice as well. Just had one connection to make after I left Rome.

Now and days though having traveled extensively I know how to plan much better and what suits me in terms of comfort so I'd look for first class or business like you said, but I've really lucked out to have nice flights in terms of comfort, but with all of the changes to the industry space is coming at a premium.

They need to re-ban pets from flights, people can have very bad allergic reactions to dogs and cats, just like people with peanut allergies, and if they can ban peanuts why cant they ban pets from the cabin. Not to mention barking dogs can be just as much of a nuisance as someones noisy brat.

As for the seat problem, the airlines should just design the cabins better, instead of trying to sacrifice comfort at every turn. Add a lil more legroom, make the seats wider.

If only Amtrak wasn't so expensive, we wouldn't need to deal with the crap we get from flying, from the TSA to the Airline, they make it such a hassle. and even driving is annoying cross country because the speed limits are too low and you gotta watch out for some sherriff billybob at every turn trying to ticket you for like 1mph over the limit. Ideally I would like to drive 80mph and above legally anywhere outside of a metro area on an interstate.

They need to re-ban pets from flights, people can have very bad allergic reactions to dogs and cats, just like people with peanut allergies, and if they can ban peanuts why cant they ban pets from the cabin. Not to mention barking dogs can be just as much of a nuisance as someones noisy brat.

As for the seat problem, the airlines should just design the cabins better, instead of trying to sacrifice comfort at every turn. Add a lil more legroom, make the seats wider.

If only Amtrak wasn't so expensive, we wouldn't need to deal with the crap we get from flying, from the TSA to the Airline, they make it such a hassle. and even driving is annoying cross country because the speed limits are too low and you gotta watch out for some sherriff billybob at every turn trying to ticket you for like 1mph over the limit. Ideally I would like to drive 80mph and above legally anywhere outside of a metro area on an interstate.

Not to get off topic but in parts of Texas and Montana the speed limits is 80 MPH in parts of those states. (weather permitting)

Not to get off topic but in parts of Texas and Montana the speed limits is 80 MPH in parts of those states. (weather permitting)

Those states have big open lands. Here in the Northeast, it would be nearly impossible to hit 80 on a back road because the cops like to hide in random spots. Now 80 on the highways here you can pull off in some spots if no cops are in sight.

Back to topic. I do think that foxie makes a good point. If the passenger wants to pay a few bucks more for extra legroom or a section for the kiddies let them.

However there should be also every effort possible to keep the airfares as low as possible. I am on a 'budget' and need to fly on carriers like Southwest or Jetblue.

I wanna do 75-80 on the CT Turnpike or in Jersey or something and not have to worry bout getting a ticket

A little secret foxie. Late at night traveling from Albany-Montreal on NY Thruway aka the "Northway" and on I-90 between Buffalo and Syracuse I have gone 80mph without any worries.

Ditto driving in the Carolinas as well back and forth to Tampa. In the NE as 553 states not that easy to do.:eek:

I wanna do 75-80 on the CT Turnpike or in Jersey or something and not have to worry bout getting a ticket

I've done 75-80 on the ACE and the GSP and NJTP although I have a very high quality radar detector in my car.

Back on topic. The best airlines should do what there doing now by charging the "larger" 2 seats. Creating a section is just going to drive tickets even more insane. And as Shortline said he needs airlines like Southwest & Jetblue. There a lots of people that need Southwest & Jetblue to stay cheap.

Atleast there is no such thing as "Chinatown Airlines" lmfao.

If you take up more than one seat, you should have to pay for more than one seat.

Kids don't need separate sections...their parents have to actually be parents and control them.

What's interesting is in Europe some of the trains have kids' compartments with colored blocks and TV's. But I don't see anything like that working on an airline. Too many people already too close together as it is.

IMO doing this would not help people at all. It would just take more money out of their pockets. People are just too damn lazy to control their kids, and too damn lazy to work out so that is why they are fat. Don't make other people suffer, because of your stupid life.

Back to topic. I do think that foxie makes a good point. If the passenger wants to pay a few bucks more for extra legroom or a section for the kiddies let them.

However there should be also every effort possible to keep the airfares as low as possible. I am on a 'budget' and need to fly on carriers like Southwest or Jetblue.

I would pay an extra thousand dollars if they threw you off the plane big bird.

Archived