SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

9 hours ago, VIP said:

Thats because crews pointed it out to the TA’s president and he saw it for himself and was appalled. So now trains will have to be cleaned regularly to maintain the integrity of “pleasant and appealing” reliable service…

There are some R68s out of Concourse that are way overdue for a visit to the car wash.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if anyone noticed: Yesterday as the Lo-Vs made a run from Grand Central-42 St to 161 St-Yankee Stadium for the opening day, the Train of Many Colors had 6 cars total instead of the 10-cars that was the holiday 2022 consist. Wonder if the other 4 cars weren't needed at that time or other plans for it. 

You should also compare equipment on the (A) vs that on the (C). The R179s in particular in those two lines are night and day. Also is baffling how considering how long it’s been since the pandemic and R160 transfer to Jamaica, it’s pretty clear which R160s were Coney Island R160s at one point in their service lives and which ones have never left Jamaica.

Edited by darkstar8983

50 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Don't leave out the R142/As on the (4) line. It should be a crime to have any subway cars looking like that, especially 7591-7810.

The 142As look like they just left multiple crime scenes. It’s crazy how bad those cars look, and it’s been like this for YEARS.

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

The 142As look like they just left multiple crime scenes. It’s crazy how bad those cars look, and it’s been like this for YEARS.

Like seriously, when will something be done about this? where are the passengers at to complain about these things?

Maybe I need to reach out to the MTA president myself, because this is extremely unacceptable.

13 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Idk if this is just me, but it seems like the R68s on the (B) and (D) out of Concourse are quite dirty, especially compared to R68s on Broadway.

7 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Don't leave out the R142/As on the (4) line. It should be a crime to have any subway cars looking like that, especially 7591-7810.

6 hours ago, NBTA said:

A handful of R62As on the (1) would like to have a word with ya'll.

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

A handful of R62As on the (1) would like to have a word with ya'll.

Those are included as well. Dirty cars are an issue throughout the entire system, but you have to admit that the problem is worse on some lines (& fleets) than others.

Regardless, it's a serious issue that needs to be fully addressed. How long will it take? Hopefully not too much longer. Exterior cleanliness is just as important as interior cleanliness. 

5 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Like seriously, when will something be done about this? where are the passengers at to complain about these things?

Maybe I need to reach out to the MTA president myself, because this is extremely unacceptable.

The MTA has a WhatsApp account. If you and others can rally up users or others to complain they’ll get to work in cleaning their fleet regularly 

Seems that the MTA took note of what's going on in ridership and service reliability. The (Q) will get back its R160B Siemens this summer for the new pick and the (F) and (R) will get 1/2 the R46s back from Coney Island Yard. At that time, CBTC is off-line due to problems with their signals and have the fleet fully R160s again until it has been resolved. 

Edited by Calvin

41 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Seems that the MTA took note of what's going on in ridership and service reliability. The (Q) will get back its R160B Siemens this summer for the new pick and the (F) and (R) will get 1/2 the R46s back from Coney Island Yard. At that time, CBTC is off-line due to problems with their signals and have the fleet fully R160s again until it has been resolved. 

Huh? I do not believe this for a moment. If the issue is CBTC issues wouldn’t it make sense for the R160s to stay in their current assignments for them to correct the problem? And even if this were true, operations would make sense to run those supposedly transferred R160s to the (N)(W) 

Edited by darkstar8983

48 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Huh? I do not believe this for a moment. If the issue is CBTC issues wouldn’t it make sense for the R160s to stay in their current assignments for them to correct the problem? And even if this were true, operations would make sense to run those supposedly transferred R160s to the (N)(W) 

That is true, the R160s aren't moved at Jamaica Yard. Except there was a last minute change because it's at April 1st. Despite that delay that happened this week, nothing has changed. :) 

Edited by Calvin

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

That is true. Except this is at April 1st. Nothing has changed. :) 

Ahhh you got me 😂😂😂. With the incompetence of the MTA I went along with this, especially with how Culver CBTC has to be redone and the myriad of signal issues that happens on the Queens corridor

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

That is true, the R160s aren't moved at Jamaica Yard. Except there was a last minute change because it's at April 1st. Despite that delay that happened this week, nothing has changed. :) 

Got some April Foolin’ going on here, I see…

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 4/1/2023 at 11:52 AM, Lawrence St said:

It takes 5 years to replace an escalator?

No, the project is expected to be completed in spring of 2025, which is just 3 years from now, they’re not just replacing the escalators, the crews will do repairs on the drainage system, new lighting, and architectural finishes

21 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Those are included as well. Dirty cars are an issue throughout the entire system, but you have to admit that the problem is worse on some lines (& fleets) than others.

Regardless, it's a serious issue that needs to be fully addressed. How long will it take? Hopefully not too much longer. Exterior cleanliness is just as important as interior cleanliness. 

I’m pretty sure the bigger issue is graffiti, which is what makes the trains look so dirty in the first place, you could see hints of spray paint on the R160 M trains, and on the R143 L trains, i can’t believe that a security system doesn’t exist on the yards smh

Ah… Monday morning WTFs on the Brighton: the (Q) conductor whose “niceness” delays the train just enough so that the a**hole (B) conductor can clear the train out of the station at Sheepshead Bay 3 seconds before the (Q) opens its doors.

On 4/2/2023 at 2:40 PM, Chris89292 said:

I’m pretty sure the bigger issue is graffiti, which is what makes the trains look so dirty in the first place, you could see hints of spray paint on the R160 M trains, and on the R143 L trains, i can’t believe that a security system doesn’t exist on the yards smh

Since graffiti is more noticeable than just dirt, it's true that it would be the bigger priority. But it shouldn't take a train being covered in graffiti for it to be kept clean. Plus I have noticed the hints of graffiti on the ENY trains (excluding the R179s).

To my knowledge, the yards do have security systems; I guess they just need to be upgraded. I also know that some trains are laid up on middle tracks in the tunnels, so they get targeted that way as well since they're easier to get to.

After these past few weeks of GOs on 4 Av (night closures and weekend local-only service), are we getting close to an announcement that will lead to a full time closure of the 4 Av Express tracks to work on the north section between Atlantic Av and 36 St? I know that the express tunnel between 36 and 59 Sts were worked on a few years ago, making the (N) local all times in that section. I’m curious to see how the Atlantic-36 St section will be dealt with? Likely the following changes will be made:

1. (D) trains make local stops from 36 St to DeKalb Av (Brighton Line tracks)

2. (N) trains running local from 59 St-4 Av to 34 St-Herald Square via Lower Manhattan  (96 St trips making express stops via the Manhattan Bridge after DeKalb Av)

3. (W) train suspended since the (N) will make all stops that the (W) currently makes. To replace (W) service, some (N) service would run rush hours between Astoria and Canal St or Whitehall St.