SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to clarify the discussion in the subway Fail Thread:

Everyday rider: Okay, here's a (B) that's taking me to Herald Square for work.

Railfan: Here's a (B) train using track A4 on the Brighton Line. He overran by 4 inches. R68A #5032.

I am the latter.

Edit: My 300th post!

Edited by Brightonkid7

Everyday rider: Okay, here's a (B) that's taking me to Herald Square for work.

Railfan: Here's a (B) train using track A4 on the Brighton Line. He overran by 4 inches. R68A #5032.

I am the latter.

:). And I try to find somewhere in the middle...It's difficult sometimes when you're a railfan just trying to sit back and enjoy the ride. Kind of off-topic, but I'll never forget this post by TwoTimer:

That's exactly what I was going to say, just enjoy the summer instead of busting brains trying to see something unusual or predicting or expecting something crazy. If something happens, it will sure be leaked.

:). And I try to find somewhere in the middle...It's difficult sometimes when you're a railfan just trying to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I tried to do that yesterday on the (Q) while heading out to Canal Street for tea and I ended up looking at the FIND for the entire trip.

I find it easy, I just look around the car, sometimes I see an interesting ad, an interesting object, or some eye candy, if you know what I mean. ;)

Another random thought/question:

Should the SAS have been built in the 1940/50's instead of repairing the rest of the system?

I find it easy, I just look around the car, sometimes I see an interesting ad, an interesting object, or some eye candy, if you know what I mean. ;)

I stared at a hot babe for a while on the (B) yesterday coming back. Too bad she got off somewhere while I was viewing an interesting ad.

hmm....i wonder if splitting the (5) in two sections (btwn Bowling Green and 149, E180 to Dyre) would improve the (2), unless the (2) just sucks in general.

How would that help? The (2) would be left to take up all the service b/w 149th & 180th, and the (5) would be even more screwed! That will just create a host of more problems. It's like returning to the Pre-1950's setup: (2) & (5) to Nereid Avenue/241st Street & 9 shuttle to Dyre Avenue...

Should the SAS have been built in the 1940/50's instead of repairing the rest of the system?

No. It should have been started in the 70s (which it was) and finished by now

How would that help? The (2) would be left to take up all the service b/w 149th & 180th, and the (5) would be even more screwed! That will just create a host of more problems. It's like returning to the Pre-1950's setup: (2) & (5) to Nereid Avenue/241st Street & 9 shuttle to Dyre Avenue...

I meant on weekends when it isn't so hectic, plus the (2) is always delayed because of the (5) in The Bronx. maybe it will help you never know.

I meant on weekends when it isn't so hectic, plus the (2) is always delayed because of the (5) in The Bronx. maybe it will help you never know.

That will still make things work, as trains will spend a longer time in stations...

Wouldn't a two island platform design work better for CI? (The islands would be twice as long) (The (D) would stop on the north side of platform 1, and the (F) on the south side, and have the (N) stop on the north side of platform 2, and have the (Q) on the south side.

More service can be added to the (2) if they simply add a couple of switches east of Utica to allow the (4) run to New Lots full-time while ending the (3) at Utica. Then (3) service can be cut while (2) service is increased.

To increase weekday (2) service on Nostrand they will probably have to modify Flatbush to increase its capacity so they can send more trains down Nostrand, but on the weekends they can send more trains down Nostrand without modifying the terminal. Either way with the (3) ending at Utica they could probably run 4 TPH on that line on weekends while running no fewer than 6 TPH on the (2) and it would help out a lot on the Bronx end.

There was a lot of sticky black junk covering the "LENOX AVE" and "LEXINGTON AVE" labels on the route selector at 3 Ave-149 St for the southbound trains up until today. It was removed by a henchman. :)

Wouldn't a two island platform design work better for CI? (The islands would be twice as long) (The (D) would stop on the north side of platform 1, and the (F) on the south side, and have the (N) stop on the north side of platform 2, and have the (Q) on the south side.

Too risky for terminating trains to collide, and the platforms would just be too long. The current setup is fine.

That's funny cuz I sometimes can't help but literally study them, believe or not some girls like it and smile or say hello. Now back to the topic I noticed that the Bronx get slightly more areas cover than Queens.

In Queens on Rockaway, Jamaica , Queens Blvd, Middle Village , Woodside and Astoria and Flushing. Oh yeah I can't forget Richmond hills. People never fan the buses or train in that area idk why.

Edited by College Pt Man

That's funny cuz I sometimes can't help but literally study them, believe or not some girls like it and smile or say hello. Now back to the topic I noticed that the Bronx get slightly more areas cover than Queens.

In Queens on Rockaway, Jamaica , Queens Blvd, Middle Village , Woodside and Astoria and Flushing. Oh yeah I can't forget Richmond hills. People never fan the buses or train in that area idk why.

Queens is pretty big so maybe that is why.

Your talking about areas that have subway service? And idk why ppl don't go in richmond hill, the (J) train is there (I tend to avoid it tho) and a few buses but thats about it. Its not like Flushing and Jamaica that have mutliple bus lines and essential connections and a lot of bus/train action, you can always find something good to photograph or to see in Jamaica and Flushing, can't say so for Richmond Hill tho...