SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Actually Snowblock, I have had similar experiences with the forum since the new format was implemented. In my cases I would be keeping up with a thread and the replies all along and I would see every reply in the order in which it was posted..or so I thought. I would look at certain threads and be going through all the replies to the threads, and then suddenly I would see a reply within a thread that should have been there the day before or a couple of days earlier (I have only seen one 'oddball' reply in any thread in which this anomaly has occurred so far, never more than that). And sure enough it shows up in the order in which it was posted, among other persons' replies which I saw before I ever saw the oddball reply.

For example user "Y" starts a topic, several replies are posted, then user "X" posts a reply, then several other replies are posted, and while going through the thread at any time I see all replies posted before and after that posted by user "X," but not that posted by user "X." Then one day, typically a day after user "X" made the post, I finally see it and it is in its chronological order among the replies I already saw.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THANK YOU! I honestly was starting to think I dreamed that R142 update - I come into work on Friday a couple weeks ago, after having not worked the NTT in almost a week, and every set had those updates, and then I haven't ONCE had a set which had any of those updates since then, including today.

Ha. I remember reading your post about the update a little while back and being perplexed because all that time I never saw an updated R142, so I figured it must have been an R160 update or something. I actually haven't ridden the (N)(Q) or (R) in a while, are a lot of R160s updated?

I don't understand something...

From 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Saturday, July 14 and from 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Sunday, July 15, there are no 5 trains between Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green due to track replacement and maintenance north of 125th Street.  Customers should take the 4 instead.  5 trains run local every 20 minutes between Dyre Avenue and Brooklyn Bridge.  Note:  Overnight, 5 trains run between Dyre Avenue and East 180th Street only.

Why does the 5 have to terminate at Brooklyn Bridge for something going on at 125th st?

The 5 runs local in both directions in Manhattan, in order to provide additional service since the 6's intervals are cut. It's easier to keep the 5 on the local track and loop it at the Bridge than it is to cross it over. The 4 can handle those other 3 stations on its own.

Edited by Snowblock

I wonder how 142's from the (5) end up the (2) on a Saturday, crazy as I rode a 142 from the (5) on the (2) yesterday afternoon, has happened in the past as well.

Train must have been a PM put in from the (5) swapped @ flatbush to a (2), could have been running for 24 hours straight, crazy.

I wonder how 142's from the (5) end up the (2) on a Saturday, crazy as I rode a 142 from the (5) on the (2) yesterday afternoon, has happened in the past as well.

Train must have been a PM put in from the (5) swapped @ flatbush to a (2), could have been running for 24 hours straight, crazy.

Overnighters, as you said yourself. Having trains go OOS from Bowling Green to Flatbush, or even worse, Dyre to 241st is too much. They also could have been put in by Unionport/E. 180th.

LOL, you don't work here, do you ThrexxBus? We do relocations from Dyre/Unionport to 239 ALL THE TIME. It's a horrible way to end a day on the 5 line too - what you think is a simple layup from Dyre to Unionport, take it to the middle at E180, call Unionport tower, they ask what your operating motor is, and if you tell them it's anything below 6700 "change ends, take it to 239!", now you got another 20 minutes added to your night to take it up there, on top of the time it takes to shut down the train for the night, and then another half hour to get back down to E180, and THEN you gotta go upstairs to sign out, which means abandoning the 2 train you deadheaded down on and waiting ANOTHER 20 minutes for the next one. Sure, you'll get a nice late clear, but was it worth it?

Keep this in mind, future T/Os, before you decide to pick a job on the 5 that ends with a layup and signs out at E180......

Anyway, since 239 and Unionport share fleets, the wrong equipment can get sent out if that's all that's available at the time. There's a new strip map which should be rolled out soon which has both the 2 and 5 lines on it, so that should put an end to this nonsense.

Edited by Snowblock

But what about situations where a specific yard needs its equipment back for maintenance ASAP? Would you not still have to make the circuitous deadhead trip if you were on the (5) but operating a 239 St train or on the (2) but operating a Unionport train? Will the new strip maps alone mean that any train can enter FB on any pocket track and that the route selector at Newkirk will become obsolete?

All of the 68/68A signs (that were updated back in '01) have that particular reading.

For those interested, here's a text-only version of that very list of 68 rollsigns, courtesy of Robert Marerro, via the Internet Wayback Machine.

http://web.archive.o...n/r68-side.html

I find the W. 8th Street-Aquarium odd. It doesn't seem suited as a terminal, unless a shuttle train is using it.

The only thing I would ever do is reconnect the Brighton s/b local track to the lower level like it used to be, just for flexibility purposes (not for service or anything.

To the Aquarium station? Wouldn't the s/b track cross over both Culver tracks? I assume you're talking about the connection that went from Ocean Parkway to the Aquarium.