SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

It's pointless because the (A)(C) travel time is roughly the same between Hoyt st and 59 st. (A) only skips Spring st, 23 st, and 50 st but there are local express stops between these stations like West 4 st, 14 st, 34 st,42 st. The (A) would only save you 1 minute when it leaves 59st the (C) would arrive the station.

Interesting perspective. As for my '93 subway map, I'm considering placing it under lock and key, along with my '06 Brooklyn bus map.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pointless because the (A)(C) travel time is roughly the same between Hoyt st and 59 st. (A) only skips Spring st, 23 st, and 50 st but there are local express stops between these stations like West 4 st, 14 st, 34 st,42 st. The (A) would only save you 1 minute when it leaves 59st the (C) would arrive the station.
Exactly, and there are no express tracks between Hoyt and Canal Sts. Plus, there's that steep hill north of 50th St... all (A) trains have to slow down before reaching that point.

I might run into you one day, since I sometimes transfer to another train there.

Random thoughts... don't rely on the (C) train to arrive at a local stop in Brooklyn. Once you see 3 (A) trains bypassing said local stop, then you wish to be at an express stop instead.

If you ever see both the (B) & (D) at 59 St/Columbus Circle SB, which one will head to 6th Ave first? Ask the T/O.

If you're riding between Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets and 59 St-Columbus Circle uptown, then it's pointless to ride the (A).

Actually, the ratio of (A)'s to (C)'s should be 3-1, so that's normal...

There are the switches the (D) uses to enter 59 St, so those are IMHO some of the more useful timers in the system.

But, as TwoTimer said, the whole area approaching the switches is impassible unless the switches are clear for the (A). The timers are deactivated when there's a (D) crossing. According to him, the timers have nothing to do with the (D) crossing over, but are all about the steep downgrade.

Actually, the ratio of (A)'s to (C)'s should be 3-1, so that's normal...

It can get very frustrating though.

1st (A): okay I missed a (C), it's fair for an A to pass now.

... a few minutes later...

2nd (A): these (C) s must really be rare...

...a few minutes later...

3rd (A): I could have walked to the next express stop by now, but I know that as soon as I leave the station to walk the train will come. (where is the :mad: smiley?)

Edited by NX Express

Does anyone know if and where I can find subway schedules from before the 2010 service cuts?

Good question. I was just looking at them. You can find old websites, including the MTA website, at web.archive.org. The exact URL where I found the useful stuff was http://wayback.archi...://www.mta.info

Also, the MTA's description of the subway schedule cuts might interest you:

Description of Action:

Weekend service is often reduced due to construction work. In some cases, train frequencies are reduced to every 12 minutes. This proposal would adjust scheduled train frequencies to match those typically required by construction work. Train frequencies would decrease from a train every 8 minutes to every 10 minutes on the (D)(F)(G)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(R) routes on Saturdays and the (A)(D)(E)(F)(G)(N)(Q)(R) routes on Sundays; (A) and (E) service would not be affected on Saturdays due to relatively high ridership on these routes. In addition, train frequencies on the (1) would decrease from a train every 6 minutes to every 8 minutes on Saturdays and Sundays (weekend frequencies were revised on the other numbered lines in 2003).

Neighborhoods Affected:

Systemwide

Customer Impact:

For many weekends, the impacts described below are already occurring due to construction work.

Passenger Loads: Loads on (1)(F)(N)(Q) will exceed 10-18 standees per car, depending on car type, at the maximum load point (125% of off-peak loading guidelines) during certain hours on Saturdays. Loads on (1)(N) will exceed 10-18 standees per car during certain hours on Sundays. (For comparison, peak period guidelines allow for 66-105 standees per car depending on car type or 250%-290% of a seated load.)

Longer Waits: 1.6 million passengers Saturdays (average of 1 extra minute, roughly 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.), 1.2 million passengers Sundays (average of 1 extra minute, roughly 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.).

Net Annual Savings:

$5.5 million

You can find this page specifically at: http://web.archive.o...ceReduction.htm

Edited by TheSubwayStation

There was a R62 layed on the N/B track at E149th - 3rd Ave Station this afternoon (Signed up as the (3) )

Also, the (2) trains on the Flatbush - 135 portion of the route the trains was relaying in Lenox Yard, basically the last stop in revenue service was 135th Street, trains then ran light to Lenox Yard, which ends to go back to Flatbush.

It was cool to see the (2) train relay in the yard to go back to Flatbush, that type of operation reminds me of the Commuter Rail.

My random thoughts:

R68A #5038 has a poster advertising the Court Square and Jay Street-MetroTech transfer, but it shows an orange (R).

On the (B) local in Brooklyn today, a lady who was to slow to decide and get off at Sheepshead Bay got her leg caught in the door, and scolded by the conductor.

Random thought:

Have you guys ever noticed how a crowded train sounds quieter than an empty train from the inside? I'm pretty sure that it's true. I'm guessing that the people's bodies inside the train absorb the sound waves.

I think it may be that people are feeling awakward crowded next to complete strangers and would prefer not to speak. That's how I feel during the rush hour in the subway.