SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be an (S) car. They have no rollsigns and are also based out of CI.

5000s are R68As, not R68s in the 2900s range. So they are NOT what the shuttle would use.

The signs are not paper either.

I didn't mean that. Where the rollsign was supposed to be there was just glass. There wasn't that sign that's used. Just glass. I could tell because I saw the marking where it used to be. Maybe the rollsign tore and they took it out for repair and put the car back in service.

That could be possible.

Edited by Grand Concourse

What's the point of a repeated signals? Why not just have that one signal on the left of the blind curve? Is there a rule or regulation stating there must always be a right-sided signal present?

The actual signal has to be placed at a specific point, let me explain.

Signals on the NYC subway are placed at track joints. The tracks themselves are electrified. When a train passes over an electrically insulated joint, it jumps the electricity onto the next sector of track, thus turning the signal red. The point of repeater signals is that the real signal has to be placed at the track joint, and a train opertator can't see the signal until almost atop of it, a spot where one cannot stop a train should the signal be red, leading to many train operators to being tripped and written up wrongly. The repeater signal is placed before the real signal and gives the train operator time to take appropriate actions for the signal.

More info:http://www.nycsubway.org/articles/signals_light.html

Sickest thing I heard/saw today as I was walking on Jamaica near Crescent, a (Z) T/O rounds the entire curve entering Cypress Hills on the switch power notch settings alone. Never heard the first tone of Alstom's propulsion go on for so long... Wonder if the T/O was young... Pretty sure most old timers wouldn't have the patience for that...

Edited by Jamaica Line

I can forgive that since there's no Jerome Av express during the rush hours. Plus, the (5) is another option I have, and the ride today was really fast than the (4) from last week.

But this is as if someone said, "I can't believe it, the (2)(3) makes one more stop in manhattan than it used to; from now on I'm taking the (1). (Just a hypothetical scenario.)

But this is as if someone said, "I can't believe it, the (2)(3) makes one more stop in manhattan than it used to; from now on I'm taking the (1). (Just a hypothetical scenario.)
The point I'm trying to make is if the TA wants the (D) to stop at Yankee Stadium, they might as well force all (D)'s to run local in the Bronx and not "bypass" 155 St and 167 St. Didn't the (B) and (D) run local in 2004 when the Concourse express tracks were being repaired? Edited by IRT Bronx Express

The point I'm trying to make is if the TA wants the (D) to stop at Yankee Stadium, they might as well force all (D)'s to run local in the Bronx and not "bypass" 155 St and 167 St. Didn't the (B) and (D) run local in 2004 when the Concourse express tracks were being repaired?

I remember that G.O. and I wasn't into trains that much back then. Yeah the (B) and (D) did run local in the Bronx. I don't know why they are doing it that way, I think it was TwoTimer who said that the (D) went express skipping 155 and switched local south of 161 to stop there. Then it stopped at 167 and switched express north of the station. There was one time I took the (D) and it stopped at 155, 161, and 167 and the T/O punched EXPRESS to proceed express. A (B) followed and punched LOCAL to continue its route.

I don't know if running both services local is a good idea, let's say there is a (B) at Bedford on the middle track and there's another (B) on Kingsbridge waiting for the train to leave. A (D) arrives at Fordham on the local track and it gets delayed because of the train ahead. If the (D) ran express, it would have it's own path to Bedford Park without interfering the (B). It wouldn't be that good if the D ran local. It did happen but remember that it was a G.O. That's my two cents.

Edited by alejr88

Sickest thing I heard/saw today as I was walking on Jamaica near Crescent, a (Z) T/O rounds the entire curve entering Cypress Hills on the switch power notch settings alone. Never heard the first tone of Alstom's propulsion go on for so long... Wonder if the T/O was young... Pretty sure most old timers wouldn't have the patience for that...

I hate the R160A propulsion.WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....who the hell could stand that for an hour in a tiny cab. I bet quite a few Eastern Division T/O's have invested in a pair of quality earplugs.

When I got to the (A)(C) platform at Fulton St today, there seemed to be some pretty bad bunching and overcrowding. There was a Brooklyn bound R32 (A) sitting in the station, filled up with people, and there were more people on the platform who had to wait for the next train (I became one of them). There was also an uptown R46 (A) on the other track. Luckily, another R32 Brooklyn-bound (A) pulled in within a minute (one of the Rockaway Park runs). It was packed, though. Even though the train was pretty close to the one ahead of it, it got going at a pretty good speed in the Cranberry tube.

I wonder what was going on...Not normal for the (A) to be so crowded.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I got one of the SMS R32s. It was a startlingly smooth and quiet ride with perfect HVAC.

KEON'S RANDOM THOUGHTS

MTA New York City Subway Edition

I enjoy seeing R46 trains on both the (A) and (C) lines, as well as seeing R68 and R68A trains on the (B) line. and R68 trains on the (D) line. That's why, during the summer months, I look forward to heading to the 59th Street-Columbus Circle station to watch the R46, R68 and R68A trains on the (A), (B), (C) and (D) lines.

And that's my random thought.

Edited by kmilton100

I might run into you one day, since I sometimes transfer to another train there.

Random thoughts... don't rely on the (C) train to arrive at a local stop in Brooklyn. Once you see 3 (A) trains bypassing said local stop, then you wish to be at an express stop instead.

If you ever see both the (B) & (D) at 59 St/Columbus Circle SB, which one will head to 6th Ave first? Ask the T/O.

If you're riding between Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets and 59 St-Columbus Circle uptown, then it's pointless to ride the (A).

A random thought:

Yesterday I acquired a June 1993 (MTA) map showing the Broadway BMT side of the bridge closed, the (B) to 168th Street, a blue (S), a <A>, (B)(Q) to 21st Street-Queensbridge, (G) to Forest Hills and Queens Plaza, the (1)(9), and the Cortlandt Street (1)(9) station open. And that was all in one sentence. ;):)

If you're riding between Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets and 59 St-Columbus Circle uptown, then it's pointless to ride the (A).

But why? The (A) 8th Avenue express is a lot faster than the (C).

Edited by Brightonkid7

It's pointless because the (A)(C) travel time is roughly the same between Hoyt st and 59 st. (A) only skips Spring st, 23 st, and 50 st but there are local express stops between these stations like West 4 st, 14 st, 34 st,42 st. The (A) would only save you 1 minute when it leaves 59st the (C) would arrive the station.

Edited by j express