SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I encountered a NIS (Q) at 59 St/Columbus Circle NB, and it was an R160 (90XX). When I returned to the Bronx hours later, I saw that same set at 167 St SB. Today, I saw that set again at 155 St SB.
I don't want to open up a can of worms, but some would consider this evidence of the MTA testing R160s for the (B). I'm not saying that it is; I'm just saying that some people would interpret it as that.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week has been lucky for me.

I encountered a NIS (Q) at 59 St/Columbus Circle NB, and it was an R160 (90XX). When I returned to the Bronx hours later, I saw that same set at 167 St SB. Today, I saw that set again at 155 St SB.

How did I miss this...darn it I shouldn't have went to Far Rock :lol:

Cross over to the other side in an adjacent car. Check out a R32 and ride in the conductor's cars.

I have another question: Why don't they go to the half-cab on the other end of the car rather than crossing cars, which is dangerous?

I have another question: Why don't they go to the half-cab on the other end of the car rather than crossing cars, which is dangerous?

The car may be full, and that means that the C/O has to traverse a crowd. That's one of the reasons why crossing cars is preferable than going all the way to the other end of the car. It's quicker, too. That's what they did when Redbirds were in service.

Sort of related, I've noticed in PATH PA-5s that the conductor doesn't even have a cab. When I went to Newark, I saw that the C/O had to ask people to get out of the way.

The car may be full, and that means that the C/O has to traverse a crowd. That's one of the reasons why crossing cars is preferable than going all the way to the other end of the car. It's quicker, too. That's what they did when Redbirds were in service.

Sort of related, I've noticed in PATH PA-5s that the conductor doesn't even have a cab. When I went to Newark, I saw that the C/O had to ask people to get out of the way.

No. They must remain in the middle of the train where there is a black and white stripped board which indicates the train is fully in the station. It is the closest cab, and we are trained how to cross between cars safely

No. They must remain in the middle of the train where there is a black and white stripped board which indicates the train is fully in the station. It is the closest cab, and we are trained how to cross between cars safely

Ah, okay, I see.

I like how the R42 (A) shows up when your not looking for it. Its happened to me twice now.

Ive been seeing weird stuff on the (7) lately, there are 3 sets out there conisting of 2 5-car sets and a single, rather than the usual one 5 car set and 6 singles.

So today I was on an uptown (C), when we pulled in at Chambers St I noticed an uptown (E) leaving. So I figured the (E) would just go straight through at Canal and we wouldn't be held up too long. Except the (E) is waiting outside Canal St as we pull in to the station. I've seen that before, nothing really unusual. Except the signal was green for the (E) and red for the (C). The (E) is still outside the station. It just stays this way for a few minutes until the signals switch and we leave. What a needless waste of time. But that's just life, I guess.

Edited by Mysterious2train

So today I was on an uptown (C), when we pulled in at Chambers St I noticed an uptown (E) leaving. So I figured the (E) would just go straight through at Canal and we wouldn't be held up too long. Except the (E) is waiting outside Canal St as we pull in to the station. I've seen that before, nothing really unusual. Except the signal was green for the (E) and red for the (C). The (E) is still outside the station. It just stays this way for a few minutes until the signals switch and we leave. What a needless waste of time.

Apparently, according to MTA.info there was some sort of signal problem on the (E) at Canal...

Guest Lance

Does anyone have a picture of a new strip map for all R142s assigned to the (2) and (5) that will be installed? I'm on a wild goose chase looking for it. I saw a picture of it in a thread but I can remember which thread I've read up.... :(

I'm almost certain it was a mockup. Though I can't imagine why. ;)

http://www.nyctransi..._20#entry547066

Apparently, according to MTA.info there was some sort of signal problem on the (E) at Canal...

That would explain it. I think the problem would have to be at that one signal on the (E) track right in front of the station, because the signals inside the station didn't really look out of the ordinary and at the front of the station the (E) had the lineup. I've seen (E) trains held up outside Canal St before, so I didn't think that was anything unusual.