SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been around much lately... not surprised I missed it.

No big deal if your a little late. I don't even think the R142s 6700s-7000s originally assigned for the (5) service have updated the strip maps yet.

Someone can chime in a this if I'm wrong. Haven't ridden the (2) & (5) in a while.

Edited by jon2305

Must have been a recent change:

It appears that some R62As on the (1) now have a "14 St, Manhattan" reading. Just saw a video on YT.

What's changed? From what I know, they've always (or at least for years) had a 14th Street sign.

No big deal if your a little late. I don't even think the R142s 6700s-7000s originally assigned for the (5) service have updated the strip maps yet.

Someone can chime in a this if I'm wrong. Haven't ridden the (2) & (5) in a while.

Almost all of the 142s assigned to the (2) now have the updated strip maps. The (5) from 6686-7080 still have its own maps but that's being changed soon. 

Is the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-J.svg.png ever going to go down 4 Av in the future?

Why did the MTA create <Q> back in 2001?

A (J) down 4th Avenue is very unlikely.

As for the <Q>, I checked out a few histrorical maps on nycsubway.org, the line was mainly created as of a result of rehab work being done on the Manhattan Bridge (which is from a result of deferred maintenance in the 1970's and most of the 80's). The (B) and (D) ran between the Bronx and Manhattan only (34th Street-Herald Sqaure as the southern terminal). As of a result, the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg: was made to run between 21st Street-Queensbridge and Broadway-Laffayette Street, along with another (S) that ran between Broadway-Laffayette and Grand Street. There was also another catch that Threxx mentioned;

they wanted to maintain express service.

Note that around the time the <Q> was introduced, the (N) ran via the Montague Tubes, the (9) and (brownM) existed, the Redbirds were along with the IND/BMT SMEE's were running, and the old World Trade Center was standing months before it was destroyed by terrorists.

Also, the (W) (soon to be reactivated), ran via the Manhattan Bridge with both the (Q) and <Q> running to Coney Island via West End. It ran express along 4th Avenue.

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

1. Why won't the MTA let 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-J.svg.png go to 9 Av? 

2. Could the MTA used a different symbol for <Q>?

1. Skip-stop synchronization with the (J) and (Z) would be a nightmare, for one. Secondly, after superstorm Sandy, there was apparently something installed that prevents traffic from entering the Montague tubes from Nassau Street for now. Likely something to do with the storm gates they said they were going to add. The former issue is far more prevalent and isn't temporary. It's not happening as long as skip-stop service exists (which isn't going away anytime soon).

2. ...yes? Why does it matter? They were already using diamond symbols on the  <6> / <7> so a route that was literally just a (Q) but express in an outer borough only made sense to be labeled similarly. So yeah, they could have used a different symbol, but what would be the point?

1. Skip-stop synchronization with the (J) and  (J) would be a nightmare, for one. Secondly, after superstorm Sandy, there was apparently something installed that prevents traffic from entering the Montague tubes from Nassau Street for now. Likely something to do with the storm gates they said they were going to add. The former issue is far more prevalent and isn't temporary. It's not happening as long as skip-stop service exists (which isn't going away anytime soon).

2. ...yes? Why does it matter? They were already using diamond symbols on the  <6> / <7> so a route that was literally just a (Q) but express in an outer borough only made sense to be labeled similarly. So yeah, they could have used a different symbol, but what would be the point?

The MTA should eliminate the  (J) 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Z.svg.png Skip Stop it's useless anyway's. And the Ridership ends at Fulton St. 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-R.svg.png needs assistance with 4 Av. And the Nassau St line is the only solution to solve that problem. 

The MTA should eliminate the  (J) 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Z.svg.png Skip Stop it's useless anyway's. And the Ridership ends at Fulton St. 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-R.svg.png needs assistance with 4 Av. And the Nassau St line is the only solution to solve that problem. 

Do you use the (J)(Z) ? Don't say something's useless if you have no experience with it... Consider how many stops there are heading out to Jamaica. The skip-stop speeds up service and makes using the (J) coming from Kew Gardens and Jamaica more viable. (As opposed to using the (E), which is express over Queens Blvd).

Considering the (W) is being restored relatively soon, one could have (W) trains run to 9th Avenue at rush hours if the demand is that pressing. I doubt that will happen anyway.

Do you use the (J)(Z) ? Don't say something's useless if you have no experience with it... Consider how many stops there are heading out to Jamaica. The skip-stop speeds up service and makes using the (J) coming from Kew Gardens and Jamaica more viable. (As opposed to using the (E), which is express over Queens Blvd).

Considering the (W) is being restored relatively soon, one could have (W) trains run to 9th Avenue at rush hours if the demand is that pressing. I doubt that will happen anyway.

(W) has no equipment to go to 9 Av. Far it will go is Whitehall St. I would assume that the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-N.svg.png would go down 4 Av if the demands is too high. 

(W) has no equipment to go to 9 Av. Far it will go is Whitehall St. I would assume that the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-N.svg.png would go down 4 Av if the demands is too high. 

The (W) doesn't have the equipment but the (J)(Z) does? Please.

The (N) already goes down 4th Avenue, unless you're suggesting (N) runs to 95th Street...

(J) can run solo. I meant  (N) can run local once it gets to Barclay's Center. Why would the  (N) go to 95 St? 

We already established that (J)(Z) service is necessary, and if you're suggesting reducing TPH to Queens for 9th Avenue service then you seriously need to re-evaluate things.

And what would local (N) service do but increase unreliability on yet another route? Plus, that does nothing to help the Montague tubes or Lower Manhattan service.

(W) to Brooklyn is the only real solution here. You can take 1-2 trains off of the (N) and (Q) to support rush hour 9th Avenue service, since neither of those routes have as severe of an unreliability issue as the (R).