BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

This isn't kinder-friggin-garten, it's a forum... and I don't see "forum moderator" under your name. Nothing's pleasant about a governor that's subtly hostile to his own state's transportation agency, the economy not recovering at all but the government thinks two people getting hired is "progress;" some bull that is! since 2008, more people offing themselves in the subway, service cuts, management having their heads up their collective ass(es) farther than usual, a weak currency, inflation, high gas prices, and everyone being in debt, and no political correctness or making it "kid-friendly," so to speak, will make it any better than it is now. So can the meta-moderating.

ALRIGHT! Go back to what you were doing 20 minutes ago!

P.S. Those issues would go great in a rap. :cool:

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish the Orion Third Gens had the U-Shaped seating in the back like the Next Gens.

Same here

This isn't kinder-friggin-garten, it's a forum... and I don't see "forum moderator" under your name. Nothing's pleasant about a governor that's subtly hostile to his own state's transportation agency, the economy not recovering at all but the government thinks two people getting hired is "progress;" some bull that is! since 2008, more people offing themselves in the subway, service cuts, management having their heads up their collective ass(es) farther than usual, a weak currency, inflation, high gas prices, and everyone being in debt, and no political correctness or making it "kid-friendly," so to speak, will make it any better than it is now. So can the meta-moderating.

Sh*t just got real

I wish the Orion Third Gens had the U-Shaped seating in the back like the Next Gens.

The seating style of the older OGs were the best. forward facing seats in the back and enough leg room. I hate the u-shape because it means being crushed in when all the seats are filled. At least the 2-seaters, you can sit a bit in the aisle.

The Nova lfs aren't too bad, but I would prefer not to sit in the conversation seats unless the bus was empty or I'm riding with people I know.

=

good to know about the card. I dipped it in the box at least 2 times before giving up. But as the bus was waiting at the light, I saw the driver writing something on a sheet of paper. What do they usually write on it? Card read error/farebeat?

The seating style of the older OGs were the best. forward facing seats in the back and enough leg room. I hate the u-shape because it means being crushed in when all the seats are filled. At least the 2-seaters, you can sit a bit in the aisle.

The Nova lfs aren't too bad, but I would prefer not to sit in the conversation seats unless the bus was empty or I'm riding with people I know.

=

good to know about the card. I dipped it in the box at least 2 times before giving up. But as the bus was waiting at the light, I saw the driver writing something on a sheet of paper. What do they usually write on it? Card read error/farebeat?

Not entirely sure, maybe something about the farebox needs to be checked. That's my guess.

=

Probably filling out his/her trip sheet beforehand so they won't have to do it later

Don't worry, it had nothing to do with you. Whatever you see us writing, it's more than likely the trip sheet or OVCR card (aka defect card). We don't manually log any fare-beats; that's what the farebox and F5 function is used for.

While I'm here, let me ask the bus operators something considering NICE is still using (MTA) fareboxes.

Say my MetroCard has $4.50 when I get on a bus out of NCC, and when I transfer to an N6 or N32, the farebox either says "$2.25 Paid / $2.25 Remaining" as if somehow I didn't get a transfer but it still deducted the fare. Then on the N25, it'll say "1 Xfer OK / $2.25 remaining." Is this supposed to happen?

While I'm here, let me ask the bus operators something considering NICE is still using (MTA) fareboxes.

Say my MetroCard has $4.50 when I get on a bus out of NCC, and when I transfer to an N6 or N32, the farebox either says "$2.25 Paid / $2.25 Remaining" as if somehow I didn't get a transfer but it still deducted the fare. Then on the N25, it'll say "1 Xfer OK / $2.25 remaining." Is this supposed to happen?

Only way that's supposed to happen is if your encoded transfer expired (duration is 2 hours & 18 minutes) during the time you were on whatever bus initially then hopped onto the N6/N32, then it deducts another fare off.

I had a pay per ride card that lost a fare when transfering from the subway to the bus. It is a pita to keep track of the balance, but it does happen where the bus's farebox will deduct a whole fare than a transfer. Only thing you can do is log it as well as the bus route and time it happened and mail the card to the MTA and hopefully get a refund.

=

@Acela express, Thanks!

Something would have to be fatally wrong for the N16 to take two hours to reach Hempstead. All my transfers are done well within that 78 minute limit... oddly enough this never happened while it was still LIB.

Probably problems with the change in systems.

Well yesterday I refilled one of my Unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocards at the Bryant Park station before catching the X12. When I dipped the card it say 02/09 "R". I guess the "R" stands for refill. This morning when I dipped on the X12, it said 02/16 with no "R" so that "R" is going to make all the world of the difference.

Well yesterday I refilled one of my Unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocards at the Bryant Park station before catching the X12. When I dipped the card it say 02/09 "R". I guess the "R" stands for refill. This morning when I dipped on the X12, it said 02/16 with no "R" so that "R" is going to make all the world of the difference.

According to the MTA website, the "R" actually means "Renewed". But also suffice to call it refilled if that helps you.