BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well, after like 4 - 4:30 or so, it becomes 20 minutes (that's why I said early PM rush, because that's too late to be midday IMO). Surprisingly, the bus wasn't that crowded. Just the few blocks before we hit the (N) train, and then a lot of people got off and we had a seated load again. But I think a lot of it has to do with the crappy headways deterring ridership, rather than lack of demand.

LOL. I just thought you were referring to SMH. Your mind's in the gutter I see. :P

Not just me, if you asked teens about the SM initials, I wouldn't be surprised that's what they think of first. Maybe SiM, but I don't think there's a need to scrap the X for express.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the members that hate RTS's, is there any reason you hate them other than their age?

There are likely only a few people who have other reasons. Like I said, it's the North American culture of worshiping new things and assuming that the fact that they are new automatically makes them superior to other products.

5074 at Ulmer Park from Quill it just arrived, so 4897 for 5074...

I'm sorry but are you serious? The RTS's are still here because the bus itself has withstanded the test of time... They are one of the strongest and best buses ever bult! Nothing last forever though... When they retire, thier legacy will still stand!

Ah I see... Thanks for confirming that!

That's right!! Well a few from Flatbush have some problems like for example 9601 its OOS for the Wheelchair lift its been out since December it only went in service 2 or 3 times. It's out back facing inward to the gate, but all buses have problems but an RTS will always be my favorite!! I still miss them GMC's that were around.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ttcsubwayfan" data-cid="639009" data-time="1359584316"><p>

Thanks!<br />

<br />

<br />

This represents the typical North American 'Newer is better' attitude, which I despise with every fibre of my being. The RTS is a decent bus and will continue to be.</p></blockquote>

Well you know he is obsessed with the XD40's. I bet if he had it his way he would replace every old bus before 2004 with the XD40 and XD60. He should still be thankful that he has buses that can actually hold crowds rather than the LFS which appears a lot on every QV line. On the Q36,Q27, Q46,Q43 and Q88 I could see within a hour about 80% of the buses passing is an LFS and the other 20% maybe 1 or 2 RTS's or a Orion VII.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ttcsubwayfan" data-cid="639009" data-time="1359584316"><p>

Thanks!<br />

<br />

<br />

This represents the typical North American 'Newer is better' attitude, which I despise with every fibre of my being. The RTS is a decent bus and will continue to be.</p></blockquote>

Well you know he is obsessed with the XD40's. I bet if he had it his way he would replace every old bus before 2004 with the XD40 and XD60. He should still be thankful that he has buses that can actually hold crowds rather than the LFS which appears a lot on every QV line. On the Q36,Q27, Q46,Q43 and Q88 I could see within a hour about 80% of the buses passing is an LFS and the other 20% maybe 1 or 2 RTS's or a Orion VII.

Funny, he just said he wants Orion V's. I didn't know O5's were made before '04, or even '00 for that matter.

That's right!! Well a few from Flatbush have some problems like for example 9601 its OOS for the Wheelchair lift its been out since December it only went in service 2 or 3 times. It's out back facing inward to the gate, but all buses have problems but an RTS will always be my favorite!! I still miss them GMC's that were around.

yeah the 9600s always had issues with the lift. 2 buses were taken oos when they were here at FB. It's an issue with the bus. That said, UP getting more 5000s will leave them with the youngest average RTS fleet age as their oldest is an upper 9300. If there wasn't a push for the b44sbs, I'd certainly would take that fleet group. Edited by Grand Concourse

I'm sorry but are you serious? The RTS's are still here because the bus itself has withstanded the test of time... They are one of the strongest and best buses ever bult! Nothing last forever though... When they retire, thier legacy will still stand!

Ah I see... Thanks for confirming that!

Well first of all, i just dont like the bus in general. Ok it can be the best bus and strongest bus or whatever. I just dont like them. I like Orion Vs and i can have those here until 2020. 

Thanks!

This represents the typical North American 'Newer is better' attitude, which I despise with every fibre of my being. The RTS is a decent bus and will continue to be.

Well yes i like newer buses, but i have my favorite old buses. I like Orion Vs and i think those are better than RTS. And there faster that RTS, and feel lighter than RTS. and more spacious. 

To the members that hate RTS's, is there any reason you hate them other than their age?

Its not about the age, its about the bus itself...i like Orion Vs and those old C40LFs. 

And the part that they are dirty/'dented' (which can apply to both old and new buses).

That is correct, and i never said anything about dents with old/new buses. I wouldnt want no bus to have dents or look dirty. 

There are likely only a few people who have other reasons. Like I said, it's the North American culture of worshiping new things and assuming that the fact that they are new automatically makes them superior to other products.

Well, I like XD40s, and most of yall know that. But it doesnt mean nothing about that. The Orion Vs are old and those are pretty good, but for RTS in my opinion i dont like those...look. those 1998-1999 C40LFs, i loved those things and im madd they retired this early. Sadly they were CNGs, and couldnt be at other depots. 

Well thats just you, you can like your RTS, i like Orion Vs. 

Thanks!<br />

<br />

<br />

#SWERVE

Well yes i like XD40s, but this doesnt have nothing to do with those BT&E buses or more replacing all those old buses. I love all the buses in the fleet except RTS, idk why. oh and those Orion VII OG CNGs. But that has nothing to do with RTS. I just said that i dont like the RTS and i would rather have Orion Vs over RTS nothing esle. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Funny, he just said he wants Orion V's. I didn't know O5's were made before '04, or even '00 for that matter.

NYCT's weren't anyway. Still I find the Orion V and RTS 90% similar in all aspects. Hell, throw in the Flxible Metro.

I'm not holding his statement against him, but it does seem null and void if it's only in regard to age.

The majority of this *sigh* my generation seems to believe everything in society is disposable some way or another, whether it's cellular phones, other electronics, vehicles, almost anything. Notice I didn't say all.

NYCT's weren't anyway. Still I find the Orion V and RTS 90% similar in all aspects. Hell, throw in the Flxible Metro.

I'm not holding his statement against him, but it does seem null and void if it's only in regard to age.

The majority of this *sigh* my generation seems to believe everything in society is disposable some way or another, whether it's cellular phones, other electronics, vehicles, almost anything. Notice I didn't say all.

Why would it be age if i said i like Orion Vs and the OLD C40LFs?  :blink:

...although 1306 actually never saw passenger service, that one was always a training bus

Nah, that bus saw a decent amount of service on the M1 in October/November of 2010 after most have the ops had been trained already. Got a few shots of it running that route myself, and I think a few others caught it too. 

Well first of all, i just dont like the bus in general. Ok it can be the best bus and strongest bus or whatever. I just dont like them. I like Orion Vs and i can have those here until 2020. 

Well yes i like newer buses, but i have my favorite old buses. I like Orion Vs and i think those are better than RTS. And there faster that RTS, and feel lighter than RTS. and more spacious. 

Its not about the age, its about the bus itself...i like Orion Vs and those old C40LFs. 

That is correct, and i never said anything about dents with old/new buses. I wouldnt want no bus to have dents or look dirty. 

Well, I like XD40s, and most of yall know that. But it doesnt mean nothing about that. The Orion Vs are old and those are pretty good, but for RTS in my opinion i dont like those...look. those 1998-1999 C40LFs, i loved those things and im madd they retired this early. Sadly they were CNGs, and couldnt be at other depots. 

Well thats just you, you can like your RTS, i like Orion Vs. 

#SWERVE

Well yes i like XD40s, but this doesnt have nothing to do with those BT&E buses or more replacing all those old buses. I love all the buses in the fleet except RTS, idk why. oh and those Orion VII OG CNGs. But that has nothing to do with RTS. I just said that i dont like the RTS and i would rather have Orion Vs over RTS nothing esle. 

Yeah and I like Orion V's too, that's no problem. Idk if you know but 6252 went on the B6 for a day when they had Orion V's running around in Coney Island for the storm. It did a trip to Rockaway Parkway Station, I didn't care to snap pictures. They also had 4 sitting in the depot too, 2 on the lift and 2 in the body shop.

Yeah and I like Orion V's too, that's no problem. Idk if you know but 6252 went on the B6 for a day when they had Orion V's running around in Coney Island for the storm. It did a trip to Rockaway Parkway Station, I didn't care to snap pictures. They also had 4 sitting in the depot too, 2 on the lift and 2 in the body shop.

Wow i would love to see an Orion V run on the Ulmer Park lines...listening to that Allison B400R screaming down 86st!

oohh and also, the tuesday after the storm...there were Orion Vs running along the B74

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="XcelsiorBoii4888" data-cid="639115" data-time="1359595796"><p>

Wow i would love to see an Orion V run on the Ulmer Park lines...listening to that Allison B400R screaming down 86st!<br />

<br />

oohh and also, the tuesday after the storm...there were Orion Vs running along the B74</p></blockquote> I know & not all of the transmissions are loud & you probably won't even hear it scream down 86th street with all that damn noise goin on.

Somebody already has posted pics of it. 

aiight, cool....

saw 5830 yesterday and I think a 582x (still with an MJQ sticker) today.

Coming back home this evening, didn't see any artic B44's - just an RTS at the nostrand/church av stop & an RTS behind an NG at new york/church...

(decided to take the subway going & coming today.... tomorrow, it's back to taking the express.... )

Well, after like 4 - 4:30 or so, it becomes 20 minutes (that's why I said early PM rush, because that's too late to be midday IMO). Surprisingly, the bus wasn't that crowded. Just the few blocks before we hit the (N) train, and then a lot of people got off and we had a seated load again. But I think a lot of it has to do with the crappy headways deterring ridership, rather than lack of demand.

...that, and the jitneys (or w/e you wanna call em) that run along 8th av to chinatown & flushing...

The 3 times I saw them it was in the morning/early afternoon. It is going to be hit or miss. I was lucky to catch one on camera when I did. I wasn't actively looking for it when passing thru.

As for the q35, 9851? Was running here. Also got 517? On the q35. After this post sandy fr closure, I don't want to go back to normal, lol. Keep the hyshit off the q35.

Lol, I just ignored and moved on. 

#HAAAAAAAAAAN [couldn't help myself]

--

So what do you call it when an op revs up in neutral and then puts it in drive with gas still on? I think of it as like dropping the clutch, where you start revving and then you let the clutch out and you jump forward, but I don't know what you call it with an automatic tranny...

Edited by MHV9218

--

So what do you call it when an op revs up in neutral and then puts it in drive with gas still on? I think of it as like dropping the clutch, where you start revving and then you let the clutch out and you jump forward, but I don't know what you call it with an automatic tranny...

I'm not sure if there is an actual term for it. I'd just refer to it as dropping the gear as that's all that is really happening (dropping into 1st). I'd also like to add that I've witnessed some operators just pull the parking brake and accelerate then jolt the bus. Most common however is keeping one foot on both pedals and applying miniscule pressure to the accelerator.

--

So what do you call it when an op revs up in neutral and then puts it in drive with gas still on?

I think of it as like dropping the clutch, where you start revving and then you let the clutch out and you jump forward, but I don't know what you call it with an automatic tranny...

1) Same... I just ignored it.

2) A good way to blow your transmission if you do it on a regular basis..... lol

But the term for that is neutral dropping....