More Hostility on NYC subway trains

Messino

I don't see the big deal in being critical of the subway system. I'm sure there's more than a few people who are critical of it, so why gang up on those people because you guys are so in love with it? I say to each their own. Not everyone is going to see things the same way, but there is no need to all gang up on a person because they see things differently.

Now that's immature. Let people be and like what they like.

I don't see the big deal in being critical of the subway system. I'm sure there's more than a few people who are critical of it, so why gang up on those people because you guys are so in love with it? I say to each their own. Not everyone is going to see things the same way, but there is no need to all gang up on a person because they see things differently.

The thing is though, you come here to a place where people like and really appreciate the subway. When you start telling them that something they like is terrible and what no, they don't take to kindly to it. It's like walking into a church and saying the Pope is the devil.

Whoa whoa whoa....This cat comes around here posting his crap about mega bus and the wmata. No one wants to hear it. Its annoying. This has nothing to do with who likes what. Its the way he comes off and his little stupid comments when ever someone post something negative about the wmata and megabus. No one gangs up on him. He causes his own problems. He acts as if nothing happens on megabus or the wmata.

Whoa whoa whoa....This cat comes around here posting his crap about mega bus and the wmata. No one wants to hear it. Its annoying. This has nothing to do with who likes what. Its the way he comes off and his little stupid comments when ever someone post something negative about the wmata and megabus. No one gangs up on him. He causes his own problems. He acts as if nothing happens on megabus or the wmata.

Thank you very much.....IAWTP!

The thing is though, you come here to a place where people like and really appreciate the subway. When you start telling them that something they like is terrible and what no, they don't take to kindly to it. It's like walking into a church and saying the Pope is the devil.

I understand, believe me but this is still a transit forum. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye on everything. Sometimes just because someone is critical doesn't mean that they don't like the system, but rather they think that system can be even better than what it is.

As far as I'm concerned, even though I'm an express bus rider and fan, it's very evident that nothing can match the NYC subway. It's in a league of its own in many ways. I just think it can be much more than what it is. I'd like to see the system expanded and cleaner. Some folks think that's impossible, but if the (MTA) got their sh*t together it could be possible.

I understand, believe me but this is still a transit forum. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye on everything. Sometimes just because someone is critical doesn't mean that they don't like the system, but rather they think that system can be even better than what it is.

As far as I'm concerned, even though I'm an express bus rider and fan, it's very evident that nothing can match the NYC subway. It's in a league of its own in many ways. I just think it can be much more than what it is. I'd like to see the system expanded and cleaner. Some folks think that's impossible, but if the (MTA) got their sh*t together it could be possible.

You gotta remember though, not everyone here plays with a full deck if you know what I mean. Some people take this sh*t was too seriously.

This is EXACTLY the post I've been looking for! Thank you and well said!

When did I bring up the WMATA in this thread?

I admit to being guilty of opinionation by association...

So it wasn't you....

...THIS time.

This is an (A) and (:( conversation. (C) your way out.

....and you want people to believe you're mature when you say things like this

What's wrong with wanting a commute where you don't hear the n-word, see a rat, get thrown up on, stand in a crush loaded car, or encounter a panhandler?

Absolutely nothing.

But realize there is a difference between realizing/knowing our system is filthy.... and bitching over every facet of how filthy our system is.... You constantly do the latter, and it's often compared to another system.

YOU see things differently than he does, when you say what you did there (in bold).... what are you talkin about...

I don't care if you continue to feel sorry for the guy (you DO go out of your way to defend him), but don't paint us out to be so in "love" with the system, tied into this notion that we're the proverbial bad guys "ganging" up on him, just because....

It aint so much about what he says about the subways, via.... it's how he goes about it.... that little crack about 100 somethin odd dollars for "this", shit like that... he's notorious for it....

....and as long as he continues w/ those slick lil comments, people have every right to get after him on it.

This aint no "lets pick on Forest Glen because he's Forest Glen with a different opinion about the NYC subway"....

no choir present...

...but continue preaching !

I admit to being guilty of opinionation by association...

So it wasn't you....

...THIS time.

....and you want people to believe you're mature when you say things like this

Absolutely nothing.

But realize there is a difference between realizing/knowing our system is filthy.... and bitching over every facet of how filthy our system is.... You constantly do the latter, and it's often compared to another system.

YOU see things differently than he does, when you say what you did there (in bold).... what are you talkin about...

I don't care if you continue to feel sorry for the guy (you DO go out of your way to defend him), but don't paint us out to be so in "love" with the system, tied into this notion that we're the proverbial bad guys "ganging" up on him, just because....

It aint so much about what he says about the subways, via.... it's how he goes about it.... that little crack about 100 somethin odd dollars for "this", shit like that... he's notorious for it....

....and as long as he continues w/ those slick lil comments, people have every right to get after him on it.

This aint no "lets pick on Forest Glen because he's Forest Glen with a different opinion about the NYC subway"....

no choir present...

...but continue preaching !

I don't always agree with the guy, but he does have some points that's all I'm saying. Some folks may not want to acknowledge or accept some of the things that he says... The ugly truth. LOL

With that said, I don't always defend the guy. What I do is try to see both sides of view, even if I disagree with them and make a rational conclusion.

On the Forest Glen topic: I agree w/ 553 and B35, it's not that he doesn't have valid opinions it's the way that he goes about stating them. I understood where he was coming from w/the $104 comment, but I don't think he gets that it's public transportation. Even his beloved WMATA Metro isn't immune to fights and other garbage. It happens EVERWHEREand some people around the country are paying more than $104 for a monthly pass.

To the topic at hand:That video proves that douchebaggery is alive and well in the USA, not just NYCT. The problem is this latest generation of kids coming up have not been taught respect,because their parents play the blame game instead of doing their jobs of raising their kids. I drove school bus for 4yrs, I know first hand what our future looks like and it's not pretty.

There is a big lack of common decency. People eating full meals next to somebody, yapping on the cell phone.....lately people think paying a fare gives them the right to act like a donkey, and it's gets worse every year because everytime a company or system puts out a set a rules, the public outcry starts about the big bad "MAN" stepping on the people's neck.

I find it sicking that rules now have to be made because of the astounding lack of common sense and decency.

Rather than to quote multiple messages, I'll say this:

553 hates Megabus because they're stealing business from his employer. However, I mentioned neither Megabus nor the DC Metro in this thread.

All I want is a drama-free ride where I can sleep, read the paper, or listen to my ipod. Is that asking for too much?

Stuff does happen on the DC Metro. I've seen a guy spit on the track at Archives/Navy Memorial. I've also seen a fool put his feet on the seats and play his stereo loudly. Once, at Gallery Place/Chinatown, some high school kids were playing around on the escalator. However, that pales in comparison to the stuff I've seen in this system (and to be fair, SEPTA as well).

If people accept the status quo then change won't happen. If your station smells like sh*t then you can either accept things the way they are or complain until the situation is fixed. I commend the MTA for constructing all of the new transfers and implementing Select Bus Service. I never said that everything the MTA did was bad. I also accept the fact that this system will never have immaculately clean trains with cushioned seats. Still, is it too much to ask for a system devoid of panhandlers, urine, and rats?

In a perfect world I can understand where you're (Forest Glen) coming from. Unfortunately, you are REALLY asking for too much. You keep comparing other transit systems to the NYCS which isn't fair, most of which is because those systems, for one, are YOUNGER than the NYCS, and SMALLER than the NYCS. But regardless of our differences, improvements ARE being made! The infrastructure of the system is exceptionally large, and because of that it's not easy to go about the system all in one day and make these said improvements. It takes time. Just please, please, please, PLEASE stop singling out the subway the way you do. We understand your disdains about the system (such as the older train fleets, unrehabilitated stations and hot underground stations during the summer) but to not stop and think for one second that other systems have similar problems, as well as a lot more than what me may or may not have is unfair. We understand and respect your opinions, but we don't have to agree with them!

Rather than to quote multiple messages, I'll say this:

553 hates Megabus because they're stealing business from his employer. However, I mentioned neither Megabus nor the DC Metro in this thread.

All I want is a drama-free ride where I can sleep, read the paper, or listen to my ipod. Is that asking for too much.

What is MegaBus stealing from NJT? Tell me because, they only service Altantic City, Philadelphia and NYC. There routes dont run on NJT routing with the exception of the 551. The 319 was given to Greyhound...so tell me what Mega Bus is stealing? You think I would take driving a bus serious if I was getting paid $10-$12 an hour? Hell mcdonalds mgrs get that same pay rate.

Mega Bus is no where near NJT in terms of service.

I have every right to hate MegaBus. They are a danger and how they treat there drivers is sad. Those drivers dont give 2 shyts if they kill passengers because they get paid peanuts. Most of them are working for them until they get a call from bigger company.

All I want is a drama-free ride where I can sleep, read the paper, or listen to my ipod. Is that asking for too much?

Unfortunately the answer to that question 95% of the time is yes. But it's not entirely impossible. I've had some decent rides where it was possible to do all 3. I have to be one tired SOB to even attempt sleep on the train though. Just can't see me being comfortable enough without laying across the bench (I don't do that btw).

Archived