Bus Destination Signs

Via Garibaldi 8

Some bus destinations are very detailed like the BM3 and others less so like the X14 and X10 that just say "PT RICHMOND". :)

Sometimes the added info is relevant. Sometimes it isn't.

A good example is on the Q12: "Little Neck" and "via Northern" are relevant but "Glenwood St" is only minimally relevant and could easily be omitted.

A good example is on the Q12: "Little Neck" and "via Northern" are relevant but "Glenwood St" is only minimally relevant and could easily be omitted.

I think the most important lines carry the most information. I also think that local buses carry more information on the signs.

Hmm... Interesting. So this may be one of those things that aren't streamlined... :)

@Vistuasss, I would tend to agree w/you. Most of the express buses tend to carry less info in terms of the destination signs than the local lines do, but that can vary from time to time.

That's a very good question...a question I don't have an answer to unfortunately.

However I was scratching my head when I saw a short-turn S59 heading to the Staten Island Mall...the reading from the top of the bus said "SI MALL" and then changed to "YUKON AV"...but on the S61's signage (as well as the S44), the top sign had both "SI MALL" and "YUKON AV" within the same reading..."SI MALL" was on top of "YUKON AV". I really don't know what to say....

That's a very good question...a question I don't have an answer to unfortunately.

However I was scratching my head when I saw a short-turn S59 heading to the Staten Island Mall...the reading from the top of the bus said "SI MALL" and then changed to "YUKON AV"...but on the S61's signage (as well as the S44), the top sign had both "SI MALL" and "YUKON AV" within the same reading..."SI MALL" was on top of "YUKON AV". I really don't know what to say....

I think this has something to do with network coverage because someone else asked a question about the B6's destination sign. I think they do it like this so that if buses need to be cut they can show that certain buses serve certain areas, even if they overlap, this way you don't have say 3 buses serving "Bath Beach" (i.e. (B3), (B6) and (B64)) which is smaller than Bensonhurst is and they spend most of their time serving Bensonhurst (i.e. (B6) and to some extent the (B3)).

How come only the routes that end in "Avenue" and the MTA Bus signs show what type of street the bus runs on? It's weird waiting on Church Avenue for a B35 and a C40LF just rolling by with "B35 VIA CHURCH" on there, especially with the "via" being half the size of the street name.

They have been updating those signs to say "via CHURCH AV", at least on C40LFs.

Some NYCT buses running on non-Avenues give you the main street with the street type:

"Bx1 via CONCOURSE", "Bx2 via CONCOURSE", once upon a time "Bx2 via CONCOURSE PKY via MELROSE", NGs say "Bx2 via CONCOURSE PKY", "Bx12 via PELHAM PKY via FORDHAM RD", "Bx19 via SOUTHERN via 149 ST", "Bx39 via WHITE PLS RD", "B9 via 60 ST via AVENUE M".

This seems like an easy one, but I was wondering how they go about deciding what to display for the destination signs on each bus line? Some bus destinations are very detailed like the BM3 and others less so like the X14 and X10 that just say "PT RICHMOND". :)

If it's a mall, then the town isn't displayed. If it's a town, the town and the street are displayed. Sometimes the street is displayed. Some of these signs are redundant if you ask me

Those signs have been reprogrammed, I thought I was seeing shit as well. I was like "when the hell did the S91 get a Yukon Avenue reading?!" And then when I saw it I was like OHHH!!....wait, why the reprogramming?!

Those signs have been reprogrammed, I thought I was seeing shit as well. I was like "when the hell did the S91 get a Yukon Avenue reading?!" And then when I saw it I was like OHHH!!....wait, why the reprogramming?!

It's actually always been like that. The S91, S94 and short-turn S59 all say "SI MALL" and then "YUKON AV".

I think that may be the S94 that says "YUKON AV" and not the S91...I'll have to check again next time I'm out there. But there are two S59 readings for the SI mall I believe, because some S59s use the "SI MALL" reading for the school trippers that begin across the street from where the S79 lays over at IIRC. The "SI MALL"/"YUKON AV" reading must be for the S59s that drop out at the depot.

What I don't understand is what's with the abbreviations on some of the B42 buses. In one direction the sign says "B42 Carnse Pier". (not to mention that he R isn't even in the right place.) The other way it says, "B42 Rck Pky Sta". Are 15 characters still the limit on any of the destination signs? I thought it had been increased.

What I don't understand is what's with the abbreviations on some of the B42 buses. In one direction the sign says "B42 Carnse Pier". (not to mention that he R isn't even in the right place.) The other way it says, "B42 Rck Pky Sta". Are 15 characters still the limit on any of the destination signs? I thought it had been increased.

I also wonder why there isn't enough room on the X1s to say "Richmond Ave" or something longer than "Rich Ave"?

I also wonder why there isn't enough room on the X1s to say "Richmond Ave" or something longer than "Rich Ave"?

There is room to put it, it's just the MTA being lazy. On the S93 Limited, if you see the Orion 5's front destination signs the destination reading gives "WILLOWBROOK SI COLLEGE" with Willowbrook on top. But the way it's shown is in a light format compared to the bolder readings like "BAY RIDGE 86 ST STA. It's highly practical to have the X1 read "via RICHMOND AV" instead of via RICH AV, it's ridiculous.

There is room to put it, it's just the MTA being lazy. On the S93 Limited, if you see the Orion 5's front destination signs the destination reading gives "WILLOWBROOK SI COLLEGE" with Willowbrook on top. But the way it's shown is in a light format compared to the bolder readings like "BAY RIDGE 86 ST STA. It's highly practical to have the X1 read "via RICHMOND AV" instead of via RICH AV, it's ridiculous.

If you want to know the truth, I used to wonder where in the hell "Rich Ave" was. I was thinking I've never heard of this Ave before and then I figured out that they were referring to Richmond Avenue. Stupid me. LOL

On the newer signs (like the NGs, can't remember the name) its says CANARSIE PIER and RCKWY PKY STA. It all depends od the sign and the amount of characters.

Here's another example. On an RTS, the destination sign says RIDGWD TERM in small letters, but on the OGs & NGs they say RIDGEWOOD TERM

In 1981, I had the authority for 5 months to put anything I wanted on the signs. Had too much other stuff to do so I couldn't spend too much time on it. Just changed a few of them. Back then every sign was limited to 15 characters so there wasn't much leeway. I added a bunch of potential short turns on routes I was familiar with and they actually started using some of them and still do today. One was Empire Blvd on the B49.

I also changed the B1 and B49 from Oriental Bl / Mackenzie (which alternated) to Manhatan Bch / Kingsboro CC. After I left someone took off Kingsboro and changed it to Manhatan Bch / Oriental Bl. About ten years later Kingsboro was put back on.

In 1981, I had the authority for 5 months to put anything I wanted on the signs. Had too much other stuff to do so I couldn't spend too much time on it. Just changed a few of them. Back then every sign was limited to 15 characters so there wasn't much leeway. I added a bunch of potential short turns on routes I was familiar with and they actually started using some of them and still do today. One was Empire Blvd on the B49.

I also changed the B1 and B49 from Oriental Bl / Mackenzie (which alternated) to Manhatan Bch / Kingsboro CC. After I left someone took off Kingsboro and changed it to Manhatan Bch / Oriental Bl. About ten years later Kingsboro was put back on.

Aren't we showing our age? ;) I may not have even been conceived yet when you did this.... :P

In any event, do they just have any old Joe Schmoe do the signs? :eek:

On the newer signs (like the NGs, can't remember the name) its says CANARSIE PIER and RCKWY PKY STA. It all depends od the sign and the amount of characters.

Here's another example. On an RTS, the destination sign says RIDGWD TERM in small letters, but on the OGs & NGs they say RIDGEWOOD TERM

idk what newer signs you're reffering to but the OG's from ENY have a mix of Titans and Horizon Luminators. Horizon Luminators are smaller so they can spell out street names depending how long the name of the street or the number of character letters in the signs. On the RTS's they can spell out "Ridgewood Terminal"....if they put Ridgewood on top and Terminal @ the bottom but again it probably won't look right!

Archived