Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the woman saying to bring all the paperwork in the blue folder that day. Does anyone know where to find the info on the brake test just want to refresh my memory...:cool:

Keyword: (ALSAPS) I have this saved as a document. I don't know how to

remove that frown on #4. :P

1.(A)ir leakage test,

2.(L)ow air pressure warning signal test

3.(S)pring brake test,

4:(A)ir compressor cut off test

5.(P)arking brake test.

6.(S)ervice brake test.

1. Air leakage: They are going to ask you to get behind the wheel for this test. The bus will be off, and must be off for 1-3. To do the air leakage rate you look at the air pressure gauge. Tell the instructor how much air is in the gauge. You then depress the brake pedal. This gives you your initial air loss. Tell the instructor this, immediately. You keep your foot on the brake pedal for two minutes, to get the air leakage rate. So it's like 3 parts for #1.

*example is when you get behind the wheel and read the gauge it says 120lbs of air. You say I have 120lbs of air. You step on the brake pedal, and it immediately drops to 115lbs psi, you say "it's at 115psi my initial air loss is 5lbs psi". You then keep your foot on the brake pedal for 2 minutes (alot don't let you wait that long), and you should lose no more that 2lbs per minute. If it goes down to 113lbs, you say "it's at 113lbs psi, my air leakage rate is 2lbs psi in 2 minutes*.

2. Low Air Buzzer: You turn the control knob to lights, but don't start the engine. You pump the brake pedal until the buzzer goes off. When you hear it you tell the instructor at what PSI did it go off. That should be at around 80-60PSI.

3. Spring brake: You make sure the bus is on level ground, release the parking brake (aka spring brake), and continue depressing the brake pedal. The parking brake should pop up at around 40-30 psi. When it pops up, you tell the instructor "spring brakes engaged at whatever it is, PSI".

4. Air Compressor: Now you turn on the bus, and let it run (with fast idle on). (They may make you do a wrap around during this time (pointing things out in front that should be there and not broken)). Pay attention to the PSSSHHHHH sound. That would be the compressor cutting off, and that should be at 120-130lbs psi in the RTS they train everyone on. Tell the instructor "the compressor cut out at whatever it is, PSI".

5. Parking Brake: With bus still running you shut off the fast idle, and then put the bus in drive (DO NOT RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES). You give the bus a little gas, and the bus should lean to the right (door side), but not move. Say "bus leaned to the right, bus didn't move, parking brakes work properly".

6. Service Brakes: You now disengage the parking brakes, and let the bus roll 20-40ft (do it length of bus to be safe....40ft). Press the brake pedal, and bus should stop without pulling to the left or to the right. Say "bus stopped normally, no pulling to the left or right. That means the brakes are aligned properly.

After reading that lol and being front of a stranger i cant believe i was able to say all of that. It seems hard but if you focus youll be good. You have to be able to do this perfectly so they know you know what your doing. Ive seen guys fail this part horribly, lol one guy gave the instructor whiplash cause he jammed on that brake pedal.

Keyword: (ALSAPS) I have this saved as a document. I don't know how to

remove that frown on #4. :o

1.(A)ir leakage test,

2.(L)ow air pressure warning signal test

3.(S)pring brake test,

4.(A)ir compressor cut off test

5.(P)arking brake test.

6.(S)ervice brake test.

1. Air leakage: They are going to ask you to get behind the wheel for this test. The bus will be off, and must be off for 1-3. To do the air leakage rate you look at the air pressure gauge. Tell the instructor how much air is in the gauge. You then depress the brake pedal. This gives you your initial air loss. Tell the instructor this, immediately. You keep your foot on the brake pedal for two minutes, to get the air leakage rate. So it's like 3 parts for #1.

*example is when you get behind the wheel and read the gauge it says 120lbs of air. You say I have 120lbs of air. You step on the brake pedal, and it immediately drops to 115lbs psi, you say "it's at 115psi my initial air loss is 5lbs psi". You then keep your foot on the brake pedal for 2 minutes (alot don't let you wait that long), and you should lose no more that 2lbs per minute. If it goes down to 113lbs, you say "it's at 113lbs psi, my air leakage rate is 2lbs psi in 2 minutes*.

2. Low Air Buzzer: You turn the control knob to lights, but don't start the engine. You pump the brake pedal until the buzzer goes off. When you hear it you tell the instructor at what PSI did it go off. That should be at around 80-60PSI.

3. Spring brake: You make sure the bus is on level ground, release the parking brake (aka spring brake), and continue depressing the brake pedal. The parking brake should pop up at around 40-30 psi. When it pops up, you tell the instructor "spring brakes engaged at whatever it is, PSI".

4. Air Compressor: Now you turn on the bus, and let it run (with fast idle on). (They may make you do a wrap around during this time (pointing things out in front that should be there and not broken)). Pay attention to the PSSSHHHHH sound. That would be the compressor cutting off, and that should be at 120-130lbs psi in the RTS they train everyone on. Tell the instructor "the compressor cut out at whatever it is, PSI".

5. Parking Brake: With bus still running you shut off the fast idle, and then put the bus in drive (DO NOT RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES). You give the bus a little gas, and the bus should lean to the right (door side), but not move. Say "bus leaned to the right, bus didn't move, parking brakes work properly".

6. Service Brakes: You now disengage the parking brakes, and let the bus roll 20-40ft (do it length of bus to be safe....40ft). Press the brake pedal, and bus should stop without pulling to the left or to the right. Say "bus stopped normally, no pulling to the left or right. That means the brakes are aligned properly.

Ahhh yes, this same post helped me so much when I was in LGA doing my qualification training IIRC DOB2RTO posted that...very helpful indeed. Even after you qualify and your on your own always make it a priority to at least do steps 5 & 6 when pre-triping your bus before pulling out of the depot.

I started my 7 day training yesterday, got trolly braked twice, I was being told I have "tunnel vision"

As my instructor would say, "I don't want no dummies driving this bus, move your head!" It's important to glance from left to right every 3-5 seconds depending on the road conditions (i.e traffic, pedestrians etc...) Oh and don't forget you have to move your body to maximize visibility on that right side mirror.

Edited by youngblaze

I managed to Back and Parallel park the RTS.... I even made it thru the El Pillars... but then I screwed myself bumping the curb making the turn from Bell Blvd to the Clearview Expwy and once again at the end of the Clearview where I made a left onto Hillside av into the center lane. after I turned into the center lane, a car came around me on my right, cut me off, stopped short, pulled over and opened his door..... My instructor (Mr Siegel) started asking me if my head was screwed on straight. Sometimes I wonder if I'll make it. and one debate I had with one of my classmates is the fact that the Road Instruction should be twice or 3 times what it is.... for someone like me who's never driven anything that big- 7 days seems hardly enough time to Deprogram all of one's (to quote my instructor) "Bad Habits"

Well, before you start thinking negative about what your instructor's criticism, have you tried thinking about what you could've done to avoid that scenario? Everyday you're in training you have to think outside the box, and be fully focused on what's being taught to you. Now, unfortunately, you'll be entering Day 5, 6 & 7 this week, and you need to clear your head of everything. You won't be perfect, but you need to put out your best and do more listening than talking.

The 7-day training is for the folks who are able to absorb the information given and execute without the extra bullshit. This is how MTA chooses their operators.

I'm still unsure of the scenario you posted, though. Coming off the Clearview Expressway, you made the left onto Hillside Avenue into the center lane, then a car came around on your right, cut you off in the process and stopped to come out? The one thing you did wrong in this process is expose your right side which allowed the car to come around you and cut you off. Why were you operating in the center lane though? Explain a bit more in detail.

Day 7, this rattle-brain had the previous student secure the bus on the shoulder of the L I Expwy and I had to hastily set my mirrors to remove us from the danger of having 25% of RTS width sticking out into traffic, I then exited onto Queens Blvd where I mounted the curb at Elliot Av because my pass side mirror was mal-adjusted. (got trolly-braked) and this rattlebrain claims I "made contact" with a road sign on Queens Blvd just west of the Van Wyck. I saw I had sufficient clearance from the sign but you can't reason with these instructors, they're like kids. they want what they want and how they want it.

Day 9, I got jammed up because I forgot to honk the bus I was passing at 125, then I got trolly braked at 96 & bway because I didnt see some assh**le who doesn't know the hand flashing translates to "get your dumb ass off the road". then the icing on the cake, I didn't kneel the bus before I opened the doors.

I'm so ready to say F*k it.. MTA wants too much from people (if I wanted to nurture the reflexes of a fighter pilot I would've joined the navy), but yet they forget who the real problem children are... not the new operators, but the operators who have been off probation for some time

I don't mean to sound too too direct, but it sounds like you still have some brushing up to do. As of now, you're on Day 10 - your last shut before you're terminated from the program and the job altogether.

#1 - this job is not made for everyone, but if you really want to show what you can do, then you just need to apply whatever they've been teaching, and to make sure you're learning from your classmates mistakes, that way you don't make the same mistake when you get behind the wheel. Everyone isn't perfect, but you have to give it your all.

#2 - your Day 10 performance will be extremely monitored as you'll have two Superintendents onboard this time.

You need to take your time when it's your turn to hop in the seat, and make sure you set your mirrors properly, not half-assed.

Do not argue with the instructors, as they will think you're an know-it-all and look for a reason to clip that ass.

Don't give em a reason.

Keep your head moving while you're taking it around the course -- observe these "a**holes" and assume the worse case scenario so you are ready for it next time.

MTA doesn't want too much; they want safe operators who don't crumble under pressure, and have the basic idea. If you can't get the idea in qualification time, what makes you think they'll sign off on you so you can have incidents/accidents when you're solo? Think about it.

I made it on day 10, and I was able to pick into my depot of choice and today was my first day of passenger service to which my instructing operator was like "Dude, you're good. Are you sure you never drove a bus before?"

Congrats and welcome, take your time. Edited by transit bx

MABS,

DMV road test(RT) you come in 7am to Zerega. You take 19A qualification test (you can't fail as it is an open book 20 questions). RT area is right there by Zerega. After everyone is done Sup'nt takes you out in a van to show you RT area. Day before RT you come to Zerega to practice, (sometimes that's when they show you the RT area ) ask questions and go back on RTS for parking, backing up etc. RT takes 20-30 min for each of you. If you fail RT, don't worry you get another chance, no one failed on 2nd time as of yet. I believe 8 or 8:30am DMV lady/man shows up and from there your own fate is in your own hands for the most part. Don't worry, you'll be fine. I've never drove anything bigger than a regular van before I started. Just don't let your nerves take over, be calm and confident, Don't run any curbs, don't do anything dangerous, do the way MTA taught you and you'll definitely pass. You go back to your depot next day and graduation will be soon after (dont remember exactly when) Good luck.

Edited by Vlad D

you will come to find that the 7-10 day training course was a lot more strict and harder than the DMV road test. As mentioned above you will be using an RTS...

REMEMBER

you must do your ALSAPS in its entirety unless otherwise instructed. Don't fall for the game they play ...for example let's say you have done your Air leakage and Low Air Warning test the examiner may tell you, "ok, good let's go" DON'T move that bus just yet tell them that you still have 4 more test to conduct if after you say that and they say something like "nah it's ok let's go" then you go. Another thing...while doing your pre-trip inspection know what your talking about don't say things like "oh, this thing here is secure" tell them, "Radiator access door is clear of debris and is properly mounted and secured"