Rumor mill

Q101viaSteinway

When I took QM12 run 1210 recently I had driver who talked about a lot of things with buses. The bus driver say that MTA Bus will be extending the Q18 to Metropolitan Avenue and Fresh Pond Road, truncating some Q102 trips between Roosevelt Island and Queens Plaza and that College Point Depot will be getting the Q39 in the fall and some QM3,QM4, and QM10 trips will be operating out of LaGuardia. Any reaction

When I took QM12 run 1210 recently I had driver who talked about a lot of things with buses. The bus driver say that MTA Bus will be extending the Q18 to Metropolitan Avenue and Fresh Pond Road, truncating some Q102 trips between Roosevelt Island and Queens Plaza and that College Point Depot will be getting the Q39 in the fall and some QM3,QM4, and QM10 trips will be operating out of LaGuardia. Any reaction

until it's a reality what is there to comment about?:eek:

However if the rumor is true, I like the Q18 extension. Plus it's no much difference if the Q39 is from College Point since it's a route that travels much of Western Queens.

He said Q39 would interline with Q66 and it would be faster deadhead since Q39 run that start at Ridgewood use Van Wyck Expressway to get to Ridgewood from LGA depot.

Interline with the Q66? I understand the Q19 and the 66, but this ridiculous

The bus driver say that MTA Bus will be extending the Q18 to Metropolitan Avenue and Fresh Pond Road, truncating some Q102 trips between Roosevelt Island and Queens Plaza and that College Point Depot will be getting the Q39 in the fall and some QM3,QM4, and QM10 trips will be operating out of LaGuardia. Any reaction

Q18: I've always felt that the Q18 and Q45 should be swapped at their south ends and the Q45 extended to Fresh Pond & Metropolitan, or even to Ridgewood Terminal (and eventually operated out of FP).

Q39: It makes no sense to put this in CP when the Q67 was moved out of CP due to the pull-out distance.

Q102: Truncating trips might make sense if the ridership levels warrant it.

QM3: There are only 3 trips in each direction. They might as well stay where they are.

QM4: Not sure what a depot swap would accomplish.

QM10: They were originally in LGA anyway, so moving them back might make sense if CP is running out of room.

A general note:

Individual bus operators do not decide depot assignments and route modifications. Wait for things to appear in official channels (MTA Board books and picks accepted by TWU and posted in the depots).

Q18: I've always felt that the Q18 and Q45 should be swapped at their south ends and the Q45 extended to Fresh Pond & Metropolitan, or even to Ridgewood Terminal (and eventually operated out of FP).

Q39: It makes no sense to put this in CP when the Q67 was moved out of CP due to the pull-out distance.

Q102: Truncating trips might make sense if the ridership levels warrant it.

QM3: There are only 3 trips in each direction. They might as well stay where they are.

QM4: Not sure what a depot swap would accomplish.

QM10: They were originally in LGA anyway, so moving them back might make sense if CP is running out of room.

A general note:

Individual bus operators do not decide depot assignments and route modifications. Wait for things to appear in official channels (MTA Board books and picks accepted by TWU and posted in the depots).

According to driver the depot swap with QM3, QM4, QM10 is intended to increase cost of operation in order to justify elimination or significant cut

According to driver the depot swap with QM3, QM4, QM10 is intended to increase cost of operation in order to justify elimination or significant cut

That may be true (though fiscally irresponsible), but my point still stands: Individual drivers DON'T get to decide such things.

He said Q39 would interline with Q66 and it would be faster deadhead since Q39 run that start at Ridgewood use Van Wyck Expressway to get to Ridgewood from LGA depot.

Or they could create a new express local line called Q39X LGA to ridgewood express bam DH now becomes revenue run

That may be true (though fiscally irresponsible), but my point still stands: Individual drivers DON'T get to decide such things.

OR they could just cut QM3 and 4 immediately and call it a day QM3 = MOST USELESS BUS OF THE YEAR AWARD QM4= empty buses why?? QM10 err why not just slightly reduce it or try to power up ridership

OR they could just cut QM3 and 4 immediately and call it a day QM3 = MOST USELESS BUS OF THE YEAR AWARD QM4= empty buses why?? QM10 err why not just slightly reduce it or try to power up ridership

How is that going to work? The QM4 is for those who dont want to take the overcrowded Q64. The QM3 is far from useless.

The MTA has to wait for budget problem to happen before cut which is why they want to screw line up to justify cut

:tup:

Q39 out of college point= EPIC FAIL Q39 should be fresh pond depot period

(MTA) Bus routes can't move to the mainline depots yet. Something about senority and unions and watnot

But once they do become one, I can see that happening along with the Q67

Yeah, in case you haven't noticed, the QM3 only has three runs in each direction, and it's non-express section begins way too early in Queens [Theoretically, the first stop in Queens going to Little Neck is 72 St & Northern, but riders will give you the evil eye if you do (I tried it once) and the drivers (I think) don really like it either.] They should make a pure express run all the way to Parsons and Northern Blvd. It serves Northeast Queens, which is desperately short of transit options to Midtown. The QM4 also has (from what I seen) a very high ridership (I've rode it a couple times, and it was always packed), but service could be cut back so as to serve only on weekdays (like the QM10/QM11/QM12), such as from 6:00 AM-12:00 PM to Midtown and from 2:00 PM - 7 PM. Weekend and off-peak service is a bit too much, the (E)(F)(M)(R) isn't that all crowded after the AM rush to Manhattan.

I know but that is what I and this driver heard...

You seem to have heard it from this one driver, but where did the driver hear it? Did he get his information from...

- a pick that has been accepted by the union?

- MTA Board materials posted on the internet?

- the planners and schedulers who actually decide such things?

- other drivers and "crew room lawyers"?

- somebody's wish list or speculation? ("What if they extended this route to there and moved that route to the other depot and....")

- talking to himself?

Remember that most rumors start with somebody saying, "I heard a rumor...." Maybe the driver himself was starting the rumor by talking with you about it!

You seem to have heard it from this one driver, but where did the driver hear it? Did he get his information from...

- a pick that has been accepted by the union?

- MTA Board materials posted on the internet?

- the planners and schedulers who actually decide such things?

- other drivers and "crew room lawyers"?

- somebody's wish list or speculation? ("What if they extended this route to there and moved that route to the other depot and....")

- talking to himself?

Remember that most rumors start with somebody saying, "I heard a rumor...." Maybe the driver himself was starting the rumor by talking with you about it!

The driver heard this from other drivers at LaGuardia Depot during swing break as many senior guys go to driver room during swing break

Archived