Union action at College Point Depot

The TransitMan

I only got out like 40 min late.....and I was on the Q66 and it was not bad at all...not really alot of people waiting....just a usual morning for me.....but when I got to the depot at 5:45 am it looked like the gang of NY...guys standing everywhere.....following the dipatcher around like a child following his mother........lol But this needs to be done once a month....these working conditions at CP are horrible.....I am surprised we do not hear about bus accidents and such on a more regular......just scary these buses......DOT NEEDS TO DO A CHECK JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH THE PRIVATE BUSES....C how many of our buses get put off the road......

If the allegations are true that MTA PR department 'pinned' the blame on the union for the delays....well that's surely a case of slander, and should be redressed as same.

As far as the state DOT is concerned, they do have safety authority over all carriers be they public or private, and I believe the federal agency does as well. In some cases, the state may leave the government owned authorities to self-inspect, but as we can see, that is not such a good idea...

Jurisdiction is sometimes by agreement. For example, the state police do not patrol the highways in NYC or Nassau or Suffolk even though they can, leaving that to the local PD's. The exception is the state parkways in Nassau and Suffolk that is a holdover from an old LI state park police authority that was absorbed by the state police.

If the union has been complaining about bus maintenance, then DOB may have stopped by to fix the situation. I'm sure Zerega has semi-autonomy within the DOB seeing that they are responsible for safety & training. This would be considered union activity under that circumstance.

NYSDOT has no jurisdiction over the MTA because they are all official vehicles of New York State. FMCSA can stop them, but they choose not to.

If the union has been complaining about bus maintenance, then DOB may have stopped by to fix the situation. I'm sure Zerega has semi-autonomy within the DOB seeing that they are responsible for safety & training. This would be considered union activity under that circumstance.

NYSDOT has no jurisdiction over the MTA because they are all official vehicles of New York State. FMCSA can stop them, but they choose not to.

I was not aware of that. I'll bet the NJDOT has jurisdiction over the Staten Island Expresses when they pass thru NJ, although as you mention about the Feds, NJ probably also gives them a 'pass', unless of course, they are involved in an accident.....

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's an older thread, but on BusChat, there is now more to the story:

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=236836, via http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/20/2011-06-20_wheels_come_flying_off_mta_buses_in_two_incidents_one_horrifying_nearmiss_caught.html#ixzz1PqpGVVPZ

A tire came off a QM2A bus on May 23, 3 days before the start of this thread initially. It was caught on camera and a woman narrowly missed being hit. I am presuming that it was probably one of the drive-axle tires.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=236836, via http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/20/2011-06-20_wheels_come_flying_off_mta_buses_in_two_incidents_one_horrifying_nearmiss_caught.html#ixzz1PqpGVVPZ

A tire came off a QM2A bus on May 23, 3 days before the start of this thread initially. It was caught on camera and a woman narrowly missed being hit. I am presuming that it was probably one of the drive-axle tires.

I thought this incident was the reason for what happened but I heard guys got fired and thats serious also when you refuse a bus...whoa boy you better make sure its not deemed ok cuz thats what happened and the AXE was getting around if you know what I mean.

its more likely that the tire that came off was a tag axle tire. the bus would have lost control and eventually crashed if it were a drive axle tire

At least the MTA tells the truth

ROFLMAO, LOL, LMAO! The MTA will blame the Union evey chance it can for anything that happens. Actual full pre trips of buses is required by law, not by contract, not on a whim, but by law. It just so happens that TWU was there to prevent the usual glossing over of bus defects by managers, whose only agenda is for the bus to leave the yard, whether or not pesky things like brake lights, oil leakage, loose or under infalted tires, are defective or repaired.

I thought this incident was the reason for what happened but I heard guys got fired and thats serious also when you refuse a bus...whoa boy you better make sure its not deemed ok cuz thats what happened and the AXE was getting around if you know what I mean.

i remember reading on one of the forums or sites (cant remember where tho) that some new guy on probation got fired cause he didn't want to drive a specific bus or something..maybe someone can shed some more light on that incident

i thought bus drivers get to pull out w/e they wanted?

Wait a minute, this does not sound like a union thing to me- it sounds like an (MTA) operation. Why did the emails say it was a union action?

Is the maintenance so bad that so many buses were already in disrepair?? Wow.

MTA will always tell the public blame "the Union" all the time. And yes the MTA management is so poor that maintenace is an issue. Management doesn't need maintenance dept, the management's attidude is simple "keep driving until bus falls apart or you kill someone, either way then we blame the driver (Union member.)

i thought bus drivers get to pull out w/e they wanted?

In the former PBLs most guys had a regular bus, under MTA take whatever you are assigned, as it is easier to defer repair maintenance a few extra days, until other drivers also complain about whatever issue.

How much time do they give B/O's to do the pre trip? You have your report

time and pull out time, in between those two? is that when it's done?

From report to pull out is ten minutes IE: report 0600 pull out 0610. Of course first you check in at one place, then try to go out to bus yard to find a yard SLD to be assigned a bus, etc. When you finally have a bus, hopefully you have a minute or two to check it first. MTA expects you to come early, on your own time, no pay, to do this and pull out on their scheduled pull out time.

Actually they do since NYS DOT has a little group in it called the PTSB which has oversight authority.

According to a NYSDOT motor carrier inspector, the NYSDOT cannot stop official vehicles of New York State. Every single MTA bus is considered an official vehicle. In fact, if a NYSDOT were to do something like that, their job security would be in danger.

According to a NYSDOT motor carrier inspector, the NYSDOT cannot stop official vehicles of New York State. Every single MTA bus is considered an official vehicle. In fact, if a NYSDOT were to do something like that, their job security would be in danger.

Then those monthly PTSB meetings that the MTA is required to attend to explain incidents and corrective measures taken to prevent future incidents is for show? Jazumah, the state DOT can authorize its agents to do what ever its mandate says it can, if there is a nod wink agreement for street enforcement with other state agencies vehicles ok, but when reportable criteria are met requiring NYS DOT investigations, the MTA will accommadate, grovel, and schmooz up to PTSB so much it is sickening. So your friend might not be allowed to spot check on his own, but ask him about the goings on when the NYS DOT PTSB decides to step in.

This has become THE HAWK operator knock em out the Park one by one thread....Keep going big guy ...Doing a great job :tup:

PS I swear 10 minutes to Pre-Trip is not enough and to get to SAid destination point is the problem that follows :tdown:= this Company does not give you enough time and this problem really needs to be addressed instead of rushing everyday.

Example ...bus op reports at 7:15 and is out 7:25 then is to be at Glen Oaks at 7:47 -Most of us gotta push it or we will be late so why not revise it and give an extra12 minutes just in case the Clearview or LIE is messed up but no they expect us to do Miracles

At a minimum, the following items should be checked on every bus prior to pull out. The following items will automatically take a bus out of service.

I am sure there is a lot more things to check.

· Defective steering.

· Defective service and/or parking brakes.

· Missing or defective seat belt.

· Missing grab bar.

· Loose, hanging or missing mirrors.

· Defective wipers.

· Defective turn signals.

Defective brake lights.

· Air pressure does not build up to 120psi.

· No interlock.

· Front door does not open or close when dump switch is in the closed

position.

· No fire extinguisher or one where the needle is not in the green. (low

pressure)

· Horn not working.

· Worn tires.

· Rusty or loose lug nuts. V

· Leaky wheel hub. V

· More than two inches clearance on rear doors. V

· No back up alarm V

· More than one marker light

• 2 weeks later...

All the Bus Operators involved that had been suspended or terminate in relation to these incidents has been reinstated by an arbitrator. Interestingly, the arbitrator also ruled that management and union must get together to create an out of service criteria list to be followed in the future. I guess MTA is again being exempted from 19a criteria.

All the Bus Operators involved that had been suspended or terminate in relation to these incidents has been reinstated by an arbitrator. Interestingly, the arbitrator also ruled that management and union must get together to create an out of service criteria list to be followed in the future. I guess MTA is again being exempted from 19a criteria.

Good stuff bro, the kid that got fired that was on probe got his job back but know working out of LGA.The guy cant never work out of CP no more, thats what i was told from a source that knows the person.If its true at least he got his job back for the most part.

Archived