Gunfire on Boardwalk Kills One and Injures 4

MattTrain

The only projects I'm familiar with are the ones in the vicinity of Coney Island are the ones along the B4 route on 86th Street (next to the (N) train) and the ones along the B36 along Surf Avenue. Other than that I don't think there are any projects at West Eighth Street; you may be confusing those with regular apartment buildings.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incidents can happen anytime, anyplace. That's all I'll say. The shooting at Brighton Beach I'll admit, however, caught me by surprise. I was actually two blocks away when that happened. I saw crowds of people running north toward Brighton Beach Avenue.

Isn't Brighton Beach a Russian/Italian Neighborhood. How the hell can this happen there? Thought it would happen in a Ghetto like the bad parks of Canarsie.

Crime can happen anywhere, there are criminals of every race, and no one race or neighborhood is less violent than another.

Isn't Brighton Beach a Russian/Italian Neighborhood. How the hell can this happen there? Thought it would happen in a Ghetto like the bad parks of Canarsie.

Brighton Beach is almost all Russian, usually the savages who go to Coney Island are kept out of that area. From what I have been hearing, the Coney Island detail (cops assigned to the beach for the summer) has been cut down.

When I was growing up as a boy way back, Brighton used to be a so called "Jewish" neighborhood. In 1980's-today it became America's largest Russian and Urkine neighborhood. However in few years before i left Brooklyn (5 years ago)it started to 'gentirfy' with a few Hispanics and Asian(mostly Chinese)also moving there.

Coney Island is still mainly Russian and Hispanic(Puerto Rican)but other Latinos particuarly from Mexico in last decade have started to move. The large Black population that was in CI for decades starting to decreasing though.

In other words, Brighton and Coney Island is the only neighborhhoods in SW Brooklyn with a large populations of people of color.

I am sorry if I sounded racist though. I really didn't mean to. I thought that Brighton Beach was a high income area. Am I correct about that or am I not?

No, alot of the Russians over there are on welfare even though they drive nice cars and crap like that.... Just another group getting one over on the system.

@ Shortline: As for SW BK, same can be said with Gravesend and Bensonhurst. Seems to be mostly Asians and Hispanics now. Even took a walk down there myself.

Still mostly Italian with a significant increase in Hispanics and Asians.

What amazing is that Bensonhurst (site of the infamous 1989 Bensonhurst racial murder case in which a Black Teen was murdered replying to an used car ad)was once a strong hold for Italian-Americans.

Back to topic. I am surprised how Brigton and CI has still not become 'gentified.'

True. Some months ago I decided to walk down 18th Av (didn't know too much about the demographic changes then) searching for that Italian vibe-nope. Can't even remember a small Italian business. (No racial discrimination intended.)

What amazing is that Bensonhurst (site of the infamous 1989 Bensonhurst racial murder case in which a Black Teen was murdered replying to an used car ad)was once a strong hold for Italian-Americans.

Back to topic. I am surprised how Brigton and CI has still not become 'gentified.'

Bensonhurst changed because Italians wanted more space for the money. Most moved to Staten Island, New Jersey and Long Island and those who stayed in Brooklyn moved to Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights. Dyker Heights is still very Italian and has some of the lowest crime rates in all of NYC. It is a very well to do area as is many parts of Bay Ridge. While Bay Ridge is diverse, it is populated by lots of Irish and Italians. The two neighbourhoods certainly share a lot w/Staten Island in terms of it being mainly white and conservative hence one reason why Staten Island representatives represent those areas as well.

As for Brighton Beach and CI, one of the main reasons the areas haven't totally improved can be linked to the projects IMO (particulary Coney Island, since Brighton Beach doesn't really have projects, but they do have tons of apartment buildings). My understanding though is that Coney Island is being gentrified slowly, as is Brighton Beach to some degree as the Russians branch out a bit and move to other areas.

Bensonhurst changed because Italians wanted more space for the money. Most moved to Staten Island, New Jersey and Long Island and those who stayed in Brooklyn moved to Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights. Dyker Heights is still very Italian and has some of the lowest crime rates in all of NYC. It is a very well to do area as is many parts of Bay Ridge.

You forgot to add another location like other ex-new yorkers those of Italian hertiage moved to. Down south especially Tampa and Miami, Fla.:cool:

The people who caused the trouble weren't from the neighborhood. They were kids who had nothing to do on a day off. It makes me sick that they were black. Things will only get worse due to the lack of summer jobs.

The people who caused the trouble weren't from the neighborhood. They were kids who had nothing to do on a day off. It makes me sick that they were black. Things will only get worse due to the lack of summer jobs.

Dumb question guys. When the article says the kids had a 'school holiday' is that Brooklyn/Queens Day "Holiday?" No offense but schools should be open. That the stupidest holiday of the year for NYC public schools especially for Brooklyn/Queens students when the school year is about to end IMO.:tdown:

It's sad that a high-schooler died, but I don't suspect the shooters to be kids from a high school to begin with.

Doing more research on the subject I'm hearing the altercation was gang related (Crips were involved or whatever). I'm guessing these were grown folks going mad.

Brighton Beach is almost all Russian, usually the savages who go to Coney Island are kept out of that area. From what I have been hearing, the Coney Island detail (cops assigned to the beach for the summer) has been cut down.

There aren't many Italians in Brighton Beach. There are more Italians in Sheepshead Bay if anything, but certainly not that concentrated as say Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights or even Gerritsen Beach.

True. Some months ago I decided to walk down 18th Av (didn't know too much about the demographic changes then) searching for that Italian vibe-nope. Can't even remember a small Italian business. (No racial discrimination intended.)

There are still some Italian businesses along 18th Avenue (Cristoforo Colombo Blvd). They have an Italian festival there every year along 18th Avenue. Believe there are still some Italians there and Italians definitely still come back to the old neighbourhood.

I slept on this thread....

LMAO... A better solution would be to eradicate those projects. They have plenty of cops down there believe me, although I still wouldn't venture down there regularly. The last time I was down there I used the X28 to Sea Gate and that area is still a sh*t hole. I felt a bit safer seeing professionals like myself walking around and cops on the beat, but it still has the thugs all over the place making their mark on the territory. I wouldn't go as far as 4,000 strong, as that is overkill, but more police wouldn't hurt in that area.

I'm totally against gettin rid of public housing... You do that, and watch these people miraculously find ways to end up living in the more better off neighborhoods (see Willingboro, NJ)....

You don't want those folk bringin nzzzz BS to areas where there aren't any, or don't have as much of it.... trust me... then you'll be singin a different tune (they just had to tear down those projects, didn't they)....

My 'limit' is where the Cyclone and wonder wheel are. Other than that, I don't go beyond those points in that area. Even on the platform at W8th, I feel a bit worried cuz of the projects near by. Such a shame the Aquarium is nearby...

lol, believe me, you and many Brooklynites have a "border" you don't cross, when going down to CI... I know b/c I used to have one myself when I was younger....

...and the mitchel lama houses behind west 8th st are tame... that's not where the thuggery (if you will) emanates from...

Never have I ever seen a "thug" at that station. All I have ever seen were well to do looking people. Never felt worried around there either, never less Coney.

At West 8th? you kiddin me bro.... that's been a hangout spot for undesirables for the longest.... people used to get robbed left & right while exiting West 8th back in the 80's & early 90's... I truly do believe that's what prompted the re-designing of the entry into that station... IMO, they should get rid of that stupid ramp that leads to/from the aquarium... people don't go there like that no more...

If you live around there, you know NOT to use that ramp... that's where the thugs & hoods hang out around/on... it's similar to that long passageway on the ((L) @ Livonia that leads to the stairs [to street level])

Ease up on Canarsie... seriously dude....

There aren't many Italians in Brighton Beach. There are more Italians in Sheepshead Bay if anything, but certainly not that concentrated as say Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights or even Gerritsen Beach.

I know, by savages I meant another group that takes the train to the beach from eastern Brooklyn. I know there are just about no Italians in Brightion Beach.

They wanted to do more than gentrify the Luna Park area.... they wanted to turn it into somethin like Miami Beach (down where the Heat play), with hotels all over the place & what not.... I was one of those that hoped NONE of that happened... That would take away, from what Coney Island was (well, the way I remember it as a kid)... I'm referring to the Amusement park area, not so much the entire neighborhood of CI....

To see hotels & limo's w/ the chaffeur's around Coney Island would sicken me....

Dumb question guys. When the article says the kids had a 'school holiday' is that Brooklyn/Queens Day "Holiday?" No offense but schools should be open. That the stupidest holiday of the year for NYC public schools especially for Brooklyn/Queens students when the school year is about to end IMO.:tdown:

I have to agree.... I remember year back in high school (think it was my junior year), I actually made my way to school, not even knowing it was Brooklyn Queens day....

Archived