Gunfire on Boardwalk Kills One and Injures 4

MattTrain

I'm totally against gettin rid of public housing... You do that, and watch these people miraculously find ways to end up living in the more better off neighborhoods (see Willingboro, NJ)....

You don't want those folk bringin nzzzz BS to areas where there aren't any, or don't have as much of it.... trust me... then you'll be singin a different tune (they just had to tear down those projects, didn't they)....

Oh, if it has to exist then they can be relocated, so as not to tear down good areas. West Brighton would be much more affluent if we didn't have the West Brighton houses further down, even though I don't consider that to be part of my neighbourhood quite frankly. And what exactly happened in Willingboro, NJ?? :confused:

I know, by savages I meant another group that takes the train to the beach from eastern Brooklyn. I know there are just about no Italians in Brightion Beach.

lol...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, if it has to exist then they can be relocated, so as not to tear down good areas. West Brighton would be much more affluent if we didn't have the West Brighton houses further down, even though I don't consider that to be part of my neighbourhood quite frankly.

And what exactly happened in Willingboro, NJ?? :confused:

In so many words, cats from philly & camden invaded Willingboro...

I brought it up b/c while Willingboro is a suburb, the nigga BS I experienced when I went up there, I was surprised at... To me, it's far worse than Wyandanch... had a friend I grew up with move out to that part of Jersey (I'm still skeptical on the reason he says his moms had him move in w/ his aunt down there, though).... He took me there a couple times, and it kinda reminded me of Trenton, NJ (although it looks NOTHING like Trenton)....

Imagine a AA version of Levittown, NY w/ a Brownsville element to it....

that's Willingboro.

In so many words, cats from philly & camden invaded Willingboro...

I brought it up b/c while Willingboro is a suburb, the nigga BS I experienced when I went up there, I was surprised at... To me, it's far worse than Wyandanch... had a friend I grew up with move out to that part of Jersey (I'm still skeptical on the reason he says his moms had him move in w/ his aunt down there, though).... He took me there a couple times, and it kinda reminded me of Trenton, NJ (although it looks NOTHING like Trenton)....

Imagine a AA version of Levittown, NY w/ a Brownsville element to it....

that's Willingboro.

Well now... Mention Brownsville and you've got my attention. lol :eek:

Oh, if it has to exist then they can be relocated, so as not to tear down good areas. West Brighton would be much more affluent if we didn't have the West Brighton houses further down, even though I don't consider that to be part of my neighbourhood quite frankly. And what exactly happened in Willingboro, NJ?? :confused:

You know, there's this area in New Brighton not too far from the S44 route that previously occupied projects (low-rise buildings) but they were torn down and replaced with regular apartments, called Markham Gardens. There was an issue that people who previously occupied the development would be promised the new apartments when completed, but not all of them received the new apartments.

A lot of cities across the US tore down their public houses, most notably Chicago, but the problem is that a lot of NYC's projects are decrepit, to say the least. There's this development in Brooklyn that is now empty and several years ago one of the four buildings were torn down.

Like someone here said, people will look to find ways to get over the system, the system that was established for people who need it, yet there are those who take advantage of it anyway.

You know, there's this area in New Brighton not too far from the S44 route that previously occupied projects (low-rise buildings) but they were torn down and replaced with regular apartments, called Markham Gardens. There was an issue that people who previously occupied the development would be promised the new apartments when completed, but not all of them received the new apartments.

A lot of cities across the US tore down their public houses, most notably Chicago, but the problem is that a lot of NYC's projects are decrepit, to say the least. There's this development in Brooklyn that is now empty and several years ago one of the four buildings were torn down.

Like someone here said, people will look to find ways to get over the system, the system that was established for people who need it, yet there are those who take advantage of it anyway.

The problem is the city builds these projects and in most cases, they just let the people go loose. Those Todt Hill houses over in Castleton Corners are probably one of the few exceptions. I think they created some sort of regulations over there because it is clear that folks who live there are below the poverty line, but they are not nearly as wild as in other projects across the city, which says something. Quite frankly sometimes you can wait there for the express bus and it's as if the projects never existed. Now I'm not saying that I'm wild about waiting there, but as I told you before, I've never had a problem there and it is certainly much more quieter than other projects I've been near or seen. Many folks use the stop as a park and ride so it can't be too bad if they're parking their luxury cars there and such. This morning I got on a bit earlier than Manor and Schmidts and there was a lexus parked right by the X10 stop and I see plenty of Maserati's (which are pretty rare to see in general in the U.S.) driving around there too.

Some of that I would attribute to the fact that it is near Todt Hill and it is in a relatively nice affluent area in Castleton Corners. Slosson Avenue and the surrounding area has some really nice homes. The question is why can't the city do a better job of setting guidelines to make these projects more safer and livable? And yeah I know about the Markham Gardens. There was a lot of back and forth with those. In addition to what you mentioned, you also had people who wanted to see those turned into condos or something to that affect. I can certainly understand that too. I mean buying property is an investment.

I was recently pre-approved for a loan for a condo so that I see where I stand and what I need for the downpayment and such when I'm ready to purchase and I am really reseaching carefully as to where I'm going to move on Staten Island.

You don't want to put your money down and then have your investment go to sh*t. :eek:

Guess that makes me one too huh?

I think he was referring to thugs in general not a specific ethnic or racial group. Besides, have they even figured out who it was? I thought it was gang related, hence why I think he's referring to thugs.

P.S. If you want to get the Italian-American vibe, come to Staten Island. The borough has the most Italian-Americans than any other place in the country. :P If you want to stay in Brooklyn then go to Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge or parts of Bensonhurst. Gerritsen Beach has some also, but it is a mixture of Irish, German & Italian for the most part down there.

I think he was referring to thugs in general not a specific ethnic or racial group. Besides, have they even figured out who it was? I thought it was gang related, hence why I think he's referring to thugs.

Didn't take it in a racial way. Just thought he might meant anyone coming from the eastern parts of BK.

Didn't take it in a racial way. Just thought he might meant anyone coming from the eastern parts of BK.

Oh I see... Well I'm from Brooklyn originally too, albeit South Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay), but I can't recall ever trashing another Brooklynite personally, although of course some areas are better than others. If anything me and a friend mine Angelo from the Bronx go at. I have lots of jokes for him. LOL

I slept on this thread....

I'm totally against gettin rid of public housing... You do that, and watch these people miraculously find ways to end up living in the more better off neighborhoods (see Willingboro, NJ)....

You don't want those folk bringin nzzzz BS to areas where there aren't any, or don't have as much of it.... trust me... then you'll be singin a different tune (they just had to tear down those projects, didn't they)....

lol, believe me, you and many Brooklynites have a "border" you don't cross, when going down to CI... I know b/c I used to have one myself when I was younger....

...and the mitchel lama houses behind west 8th st are tame... that's not where the thuggery (if you will) emanates from...

At West 8th? you kiddin me bro.... that's been a hangout spot for undesirables for the longest.... people used to get robbed left & right while exiting West 8th back in the 80's & early 90's... I truly do believe that's what prompted the re-designing of the entry into that station... IMO, they should get rid of that stupid ramp that leads to/from the aquarium... people don't go there like that no more...

If you live around there, you know NOT to use that ramp... that's where the thugs & hoods hang out around/on... it's similar to that long passageway on the ((L) @ Livonia that leads to the stairs [to street level])

Ease up on Canarsie... seriously dude....

I remember that, back when I lived in Brooklyn, my family would seldon go on the boardwalk west of the piers and the stadium (around West 20th Street), unless we were going to Sea Gate or the far western part of Coney Island (which I remember was alright)

I remember using that West 8th Street bridge before and nothing happened (though, admittedly, all of those times it was in broad daylight). It was a lot more convenient than going down to the street level to go to the aquarium. Admittedly, most of the time when we went to the aquarium, we just walked along the boardwalk from out apartment.

lol...

I don't think the West Brighton Houses have a real impact on the areas further south. South of Forest Avenue, you see nice big houses and it looks nothing like it does by Castleton Avenue (you can say the same thing about the areas further east as well, especially east of Bard Avenue)

Actually, that is closer to the S40 route, and is in West Brighton, not New Brighton.

I don't think the West Brighton Houses have a real impact on the areas further south. South of Forest Avenue, you see nice big houses and it looks nothing like it does by Castleton Avenue (you can say the same thing about the areas further east as well, especially east of Bard Avenue)

Actually, that is closer to the S40 route, and is in West Brighton, not New Brighton.

Yeah, but the thing is it's close enough for them to come walking around the neighbourhood which I find annoying. They usually don't cause problems although we have had a few car incidents on my block with people f*cking with the cars and such. :mad:

And yes, I guess you can call the Markham Houses as part of West Brighton, but that's kind of stretching it. I would be much more comfortable calling that part of New Brighton. Hell they can have the West Brighton houses too while they're at it. :P lol

Well now... Mention Brownsville and you've got my attention. lol :eek:

*smh* while still *lol*

Oh I see... Well I'm from Brooklyn originally too, albeit South Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay), but I can't recall ever trashing another Brooklynite personally, although of course some areas are better than others. If anything me and a friend mine Angelo from the Bronx go at. I have lots of jokes for him. LOL

Remember the ole Brooklyn - Queens rivalries !

@ 35: I believe you its just that out of all the times I've been there I never spotted any thugs. Seems like every neighborhood was just as dangerous as the next one "back then".

Luckily you weren't born during the crack era ! :P

Stillwell av station wasn't a safe place to loiter around at, off season (when the amusement park was closed)... Now you got a bank, a subway (sandwich place... lol), and a couple other lil stores before you get to the turnstiles (on the Surf av side, I mean)...

Before, you just had the peanut wagon (which any real Brooklynite knew NOT to buy from), the dudes that sold cotton candy, and of course, the druggies & the bums.... the area b/w the turnstiles & stillwell av itself, was no where as nice & well lit as it is now... you'd see the occasional overhead lightbulbs just dangling about, runoff leaking onto the ground, the overpowering stench of urine....

Women would get raped, dudes would get robbed & stabbed, bodies would be thrown in the more inconspicuous parts of the area...

All you have to worry about now @ Stillwell terminal are your occasional hoods, bums, and those annoying ass taxicab drivers that line up along stillwell from Surf to Mermaid av.... The level of (sense of) danger isn't as apparent.... at least IMO anyway....

I remember that, back when I lived in Brooklyn, my family would seldon go on the boardwalk west of the piers and the stadium (around West 20th Street), unless we were going to Sea Gate or the far western part of Coney Island (which I remember was alright)

I remember using that West 8th Street bridge before and nothing happened (though, admittedly, all of those times it was in broad daylight). It was a lot more convenient than going down to the street level to go to the aquarium. Admittedly, most of the time when we went to the aquarium, we just walked along the boardwalk from out apartment.

lol @ the gaps in the boardwalk that remained for years... I remember one part (around the Brighton Beach part) where like 3 pieces of wood were missing, and it was like a 10-15 foot drop below.... You were either forced to walk in the sand to get to the other side, or you had to get your carl lewis on & jump to get to the other side....

as for that overpass, now no one really uses it... matter fact, I don't see very many people walking about the immediate area, since the mexican gangs pretty much label that their turf now.... certain parts of the coney island boardwalk is their turf also... it's nothin for them to walk from Mermaid av to the boardwalk to do (whatever it is they do).... Many a times I've gotten off the x28 @ the Mermaid stop, walked from w 19th st to nathans along surf av, to hear them talkin amongst themselves.... Since it's so pitch black on those dead streets b/w surf av & the boardwalk, you don't really see em, but you can hear em.....

Yeah, but the thing is it's close enough for them to come walking around the neighbourhood which I find annoying. They usually don't cause problems although we have had a few car incidents on my block with people f*cking with the cars and such. :mad:

And yes, I guess you can call the Markham Houses as part of West Brighton, but that's kind of stretching it. I would be much more comfortable calling that part of New Brighton. Hell they can have the West Brighton houses too while they're at it. :P lol

That really can't be considered anything but West Brighton. You can call it Livingston, but that would be stretching it.

Or, you could just make up a name like "North Brighton" or something like that.

lol @ the gaps in the boardwalk that remained for years... I remember one part (around the Brighton Beach part) where like 3 pieces of wood were missing, and it was like a 10-15 foot drop below.... You were either forced to walk in the sand to get to the other side, or you had to get your carl lewis on & jump to get to the other side....

as for that overpass, now no one really uses it... matter fact, I don't see very many people walking about the immediate area, since the mexican gangs pretty much label that their turf now.... certain parts of the coney island boardwalk is their turf also... it's nothin for them to walk from Mermaid av to the boardwalk to do (whatever it is they do).... Many a times I've gotten off the x28 @ the Mermaid stop, walked from w 19th st to nathans along surf av, to hear them talkin amongst themselves.... Since it's so pitch black on those dead streets b/w surf av & the boardwalk, you don't really see em, but you can hear em.....

I don't remember that particular gap, but I do remember there being a lot of places where the nails where coming loose (I remember several times when my grandmother almost tripped over them), and places where boards were rotting (usually it was just one board in a group)

I don't remember that particular gap, but I do remember there being a lot of places where the nails where coming loose (I remember several times when my grandmother almost tripped over them), and places where boards were rotting (usually it was just one board in a group)

That was the norm.

Stillwell av station wasn't a safe place to loiter around at, off season (when the amusement park was closed)... Now you got a bank, a subway (sandwich place... lol), and a couple other lil stores before you get to the turnstiles (on the Surf av side, I mean)...

Before, you just had the peanut wagon (which any real Brooklynite knew NOT to buy from), the dudes that sold cotton candy, and of course, the druggies & the bums.... the area b/w the turnstiles & stillwell av itself, was no where as nice & well lit as it is now... you'd see the occasional overhead lightbulbs just dangling about, runoff leaking onto the ground, the overpowering stench of urine....

Women would get raped, dudes would get robbed & stabbed, bodies would be thrown in the more inconspicuous parts of the area...

All you have to worry about now @ Stillwell terminal are your occasional hoods, bums, and those annoying ass taxicab drivers that line up along stillwell from Surf to Mermaid av.... The level of (sense of) danger isn't as apparent.... at least IMO anyway....

I think the main reason that the area has been somewhat cleaned up is because of the tourists. The last time I was down there (I believe in the summer of 2009? when I last took the X28 down there) I was shocked at how many tourists were down there. Going to Coney Island as a kid and then coming over from Sheepshead Bay and later on down from Midwood to hang out by the boardwalk and such it was always locals and New Yorkers.

LMAO... A better solution would be to eradicate those projects. They have plenty of cops down there believe me, although I still wouldn't venture down there regularly. The last time I was down there I used the X28 to Sea Gate and that area is still a sh*t hole. I felt a bit safer seeing professionals like myself walking around and cops on the beat, but it still has the thugs all over the place making their mark on the territory. I wouldn't go as far as 4,000 strong, as that is overkill, but more police wouldn't hurt in that area.

Is it me or is your logo getting bigger by the minute?? lol

Urban Jersey is slowing demolishing the projects and replacing them with low Density Housing with Security which not only cuts down on the crime but it increases the Urban Renewal rate in the neighborhood. The NJ Gold Coast will have no Projects by 2025 , the Montgomery Projects will be demolished later this year and replaced with LDH. The same can be done in parts of NYC , more so in the outer boroughs by reusing old Industrial sites. But Unfortnatly this probably won't happen because unlike in Urban Jersey, there is great demand for land and the city hasn't reversed enough land for a project of this size. Another thing that could cut down on crime is a section 8 housing freeze , do we really need to build anymore units for lowlifes? Brighter lighting and more cameras along streets could probably help cut down on crime depending on the neighborhood.

Oh yes. The same could be said for Times Sq back in the '80's/early '90's as well. My parents particuarly gave me a curfew(does that exist anymore lol)to be home by 11pm on weekends and that was when I was in High School.

*smh* while still *lol*

Remember the ole Brooklyn - Queens rivalries !

Luckily you weren't born during the crack era ! :P

Oh yes. The most famous public housing projects in America, the Carbrni-Green PJ's in Chicago was the backdrop of the hit 1970's TV series "Good Times." Now the majority of the pj's are going gone gone.:eek:

Urban Jersey is slowing demolishing the projects and replacing them with low Density Housing with Security which not only cuts down on the crime but it increases the Urban Renewal rate in the neighborhood. The NJ Gold Coast will have no Projects by 2025 , the Montgomery Projects will be demolished later this year and replaced with LDH. The same can be done in parts of NYC , more so in the outer boroughs by reusing old Industrial sites. But Unfortnatly this probably won't happen because unlike in Urban Jersey, there is great demand for land and the city hasn't reversed enough land for a project of this size. Another thing that could cut down on crime is a section 8 housing freeze , do we really need to build anymore units for lowlifes? Brighter lighting and more cameras along streets could probably help cut down on crime depending on the neighborhood.

Only if a good outing at the beach includes gun fire, knife play, and other assorted crimes, then yea I do mean you. If you can have fun while following the law and acting like a civilized member of society, then no I don't mean you. After almost 2 years of working summers in CI, I have come to the conclusion though a very unscientific servey that most of the trouble people at CI in the summer are not from the area and are from other parts of Brooklyn and the Sh*ty in general.

No one is talking about your "beloved" state, bro.

Archived