25 years of the R68

One of my favorite features of the R68 is the howling motor. Nothing can beat that sound :cool:. I actually find the R68 to be ugly in the front, but everything else sounds & looks cool :cool:.

I noticed recently that the R68's have been getting spray-painted fronts, it looks pretty tacky and its not going to look "clean & new" for long.

I hope when they SMS these cars they put in new "original" seats (with the red, orange & yellow) & give them LCD / LED signs. It would be a great advantage for the MTA to put new prototype signs on them because I'm getting tired of riding the (D) and telling tourists that the train is a (D), not a (:P going to Avenue X (sometimes the rollsign gets messed up).

If they were first placed into service on April 13, 1986 shouldn't the anniversary be that date?

And now wikipedia shows June 20, 1986 they first entered service on the (D). So which date is the real date?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R68_%28New_York_City_Subway_car%29

Mark the first 'test' R-68's entered service in April 1986. It was not until that June that the rest of that 'new fleet' came into service. And at that time the Brighton (D) and (Q) was re-routed to the Broadway line for first phase of the long term rebuliding of the Manhattan Bridge.

Wow, 25 years! I love the R68's. I remember when I first rode them on the (D) on Christmas Eve 1988, I was done! I still believed in Santa and I wanted him to send me a real set of these! LOL I still love riding these trains on the (D), (B) now the (G) and the R68A's too. They still kick ass and take names while doing it!

Guest lance25

The way I see it, it all boils down to cost efficiency. Regardless of how well they operate today, you have to look down the line when the cars start to act up as they age. At that point, it makes more sense, both practical and cost-wise, to replace parts that are 10 or 15 years old rather than parts dating back to the '80s, especially when said parts cost more because of their rarity due to age.

The automated announcements, if added, is a benefit for the passengers. While you or I may not need the "help" of the canned recordings, digital displays, etc., there are people that do. You have to remember that not everyone that uses the system knows the ins and outs of it. Also, there are the first-time riders, the casual and occasional ones and people with disabilities (and I'm not just talking wheelchairs here) that, in some cases, absolutely need those clear announcements and digital signs. Plus they help in reroutes, both short-notice and planned ones, since they can be reprogrammed on the fly.

PS, What's a PBP?

PS, What's a PBP?

Please Be Patient announcement. There annoying.

And the way the money is flowin I don't think were going to get automated announcements. I hope the (MTA) doesn't stick FINDs in these cars. I suggest they use the things used on the R142/A and R143 instead. There talkin of having an LED Route Display. AYK (are you kidding).

The (MTA)'s better off cleaning up the stations that the (MTA) does not see on their map with that $Chi-Ching$.

Guest lance25

Those delay announcements are used at the discretion of the C/Rs. They aren't programmed to go off at certain intervals or anything. There are a few C/Rs who like to abuse the automated system by playing every damn C. Pellett "Ladies and Gentlemen" announcement, which can get annoying. However, the reverse is also true, where, when there's actually something wrong ahead, you don't hear a peep from the cab. That's also annoying, especially when you're in between stations and you've been idling for about ten minutes.

As for the FIND vs. strip map decision, it makes less sense to put the cardboard strip maps in the trains, especially the R68(a)s, if the (MTA) did go through with the upgrade. As of currently, an R68 or R68A consist can pop up on the (:P, (D), (G), (N) or (Q) lines. With all those lines, the static maps will almost always be off.

Finally, concerning the monetary costs, this potential upgrade is a one-time expense. Cleaning the stations isn't. Now if you're talking about station rehabs, that's different, but general maintenance will continue to cost them well after the money from this is gone. Of course, this wouldn't be an issue if the economy wasn't almost always careening off a cliff and the state stopped penny-pinching the (MTA), but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

If they were first placed into service on April 13, 1986 shouldn't the anniversary be that date?

And now wikipedia shows June 20, 1986 they first entered service on the (D). So which date is the real date?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R68_%28New_York_City_Subway_car%29

According to the April, 1986 issue of the New York Division Bulletin the first train of R-68 cars started its thirty day test on the "D" Line on April 13, 1986. The consist was (N) 2506-2508-2509-2504-2501-2505-2502-2510 (S).

Larry, RedbirdR33

Archived