Q45/Q47 Merger, Q39 Revision & Other Service Changes

Amtrak7

This sounds good, but I'd swap the Q18 and Q45/47 south of Calamus Avenue...

- Q18 via 80th Street to either Atlas Park or Myrtle Avenue.

- Q45/47 becomes a "69th Street Crosstown" and is extended initially to Metropolitan Av (M), then later to Ridgewood Terminal.

I had looked into that, but I don't know if the people along on Calamus and beyond would want that. You're taking the direct access to the Jackson Heights hub away from them, and while you may be giving them Woodside LIRR in its stead, they might want it the way it is.

I had even ridden on it awhile ago, to see if perhaps it was low ridership enough that it wouldn't matter, but while it may be nearly empty at times in the evening, there do seem to be a lot of people rush hours.

The Q18 would still serve Astoria, but instead of running along Woodside Av, it would run on Roosevelt AV to connect to the Queens Blvd express lines.

I don't understand what you're suggesting. You say Roosevelt instead of Woodside, but you had said 75th, Woodside and then 69th. It's on Woodside when coming from Astoria, and then it ends up on 69th. 75th is way after it turns off towards Maspeth.

Are you suggesting it continues down Roosevelt, out of the way to 74th terminal, and then backtrack down Roosevelt to 69th? Even then, when would it still run on Woodside, in that case? A currently unserved section between 69th and 75th?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had looked into that, but I don't know if the people along on Calamus and beyond would want that. You're taking the direct access to the Jackson Heights hub away from them, and while you may be giving them Woodside LIRR in its stead, they might want it the way it is.

I had even ridden on it awhile ago, to see if perhaps it was low ridership enough that it wouldn't matter, but while it may be nearly empty at times in the evening, there do seem to be a lot of people rush hours.

I don't understand what you're suggesting. You say Roosevelt instead of Woodside, but you had said 75th, Woodside and then 69th. It's on Woodside when coming from Astoria, and then it ends up on 69th. 75th is way after it turns off towards Maspeth.

Are you suggesting it continues down Roosevelt, out of the way to 74th terminal, and then backtrack down Roosevelt to 69th? Even then, when would it still run on Woodside, in that case? A currently unserved section between 69th and 75th?

It would do this when traveling between Astoria and Maspeth (if the Q18 becomes a 69th St Xtown):

58th St, Roosevelt Av, 75th St (to serve the Jackson Heights terminal), then turns on Woodside Av, then 69th St.

It backtracks via Woodside Av between 75th and 69th Sts so that Maspeth (and some Middle Village and Ridgewood) riders could access the Jackson Heights terminal and not lose access to Woodside LIRR and the <7> in the process.

The Q18 would still serve Astoria, but instead of running along Woodside Av, it would run on Roosevelt AV to connect to the Queens Blvd express lines.

don't add extra time to this rte plz this rte does NOT NEED JACKSON HEIGHTS!!!!!! The subway is there for a reason. Plus the Q18 if excellent for reaching the LIRR

don't add extra time to this rte plz this rte does NOT NEED JACKSON HEIGHTS!!!!!! The subway is there for a reason. Plus the Q18 if excellent for reaching the LIRR

The Q18 going to Jackson Heights would not just add more bus connections, but Maspeth riders would now be able to access the (E)(F) express lines, something they currently don't have. This could take a few more riders off the crowded Q58 and Q59 lines on Grand Avenue.

The Q18 going to Jackson Heights would not just add more bus connections, but Maspeth riders would now be able to access the (E)(F) express lines, something they currently don't have. This could take a few more riders off the crowded Q58 and Q59 lines on Grand Avenue.

aren't you the same person that wanted to extend that route into ridgewood though....

How much more you wanna to do w/ this route, fam?

I agree w/ QJT, keep the 18 on Woodside av where it currently travels along... no sense in making 18's circulate the area like that; especially along an el..... the reason of giving maspeth riders E/F service isn't enough to have a route do all that.....

w/e maspeth riders that want the (E) or (F) can take the 67 to court sq., or take the 18 itself to the (7) to 74th for the E/F......

aren't you the same person that wanted to extend that route into ridgewood though....

How much more you wanna to do w/ this route, fam?

I agree w/ QJT, keep the 18 on Woodside av where it currently travels along... no sense in making 18's circulate the area like that; especially along an el..... the reason of giving maspeth riders E/F service isn't enough to have a route do all that.....

w/e maspeth riders that want the (E) or (F) can take the 67 to court sq., or take the 18 itself to the (7) to 74th for the E/F......

I only proposed this as a reply to a previous post's idea of swapping the Q47 and Q18's southern ends (with the Q47 down 69th St and the Q18 to Glendale).

As in my ideas for the Q18, Q47, and other West Queens routes, I haven't changed them yet.

Q38 should be broken up into 2 separate routes; the loop is what makes it easier/justifiable to run less service on that route.... It's also one of the main reasons why the Q58 bears the most responsibility (as far as bus service goes) in that part of Queens....

At one point, it was two separate routes I think. The Q38 from Ridgewood to LeFrak City via and the OLD Q50 (I think...can someone help me out on this one) ran from Ridgewood to Rego Park.

I like your idea of breaking them up into two routes though.

It would do this when traveling between Astoria and Maspeth (if the Q18 becomes a 69th St Xtown):

58th St, Roosevelt Av, 75th St (to serve the Jackson Heights terminal), then turns on Woodside Av, then 69th St.

It backtracks via Woodside Av between 75th and 69th Sts so that Maspeth (and some Middle Village and Ridgewood) riders could access the Jackson Heights terminal and not lose access to Woodside LIRR and the <7> in the process.

I think those routes should be straightened; not adding more kinks to them. The 45 (or 47 now) would have to be worked into the plan to keep the access to the Roosevelt hub.

While I do agree with that, extending the Q18 into Jackson Heights would bring on way too many buses going in and out of that area.

While I do agree with that, extending the Q18 into Jackson Heights would bring on way too many buses going in and out of that area.

Good point. Traffic was unbearable yesterday with an Indian festival closing off 75th Street. It seems like in Jackson Heights, if one street closes (even if it is the smallest side street), traffic becomes a nightmare thanks to the ethnic shopping strips in the community (Little India on 74th St and Little Colombia on 82nd St come to mind).

Archived