[#5025- Bus Operator] Just got the letter!

Acela Express

It's funny the SLDs will threatnen you with violations for not turning the Regeneration off when entering the depot, but from what we were told on Thursday, there's a fail-safe system with the NGs linked to any depot/facility, that within 250 ft. the network will automatically shut off the 'regen' switch. But we still have to switch it off so the marker lights indicate you've done so on the exterior.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's funny the SLDs will threatnen you with violations for not turning the Regeneration off when entering the depot, but from what we were told on Thursday, there's a fail-safe system with the NGs linked to any depot/facility, that within 250 ft. the network will automatically shut off the 'regen' switch. But we still have to switch it off so the marker lights indicate you've done so on the exterior.

Is that why I see buses coming out of the Grand st depot with their clearance lights blinking? Always wonderd what that was.

Another day at Zerega with presentations from HR staff, the union, and someone from Prudential to discuss our 401k and 457 plans.

The Day 10 people reported at 7AM, with two Superintendents waiting for them, and 6 students, with only 3 making it out alive, and 2 just not showing back up from Day 9 fails. Overall, 31 of 36 made it through training.

From what we've heard, the 8/1 class, about 15% got to choose their locations, while the other 85% were forced into Queens with the option to come back during the system pick in January.

And, now, from today's word: I hear 126th is down 10 operators, so it's safe to assume they'll be on the table for picking this week We'll find out what's going on with the rest tomorrow or Wednesday.

Another day at Zerega with presentations from HR staff, the union, and someone from Prudential to discuss our 401k and 457 plans.

The Day 10 people reported at 7AM, with two Superintendents waiting for them, and 6 students, with only 3 making it out alive, and 2 just not showing back up from Day 9 fails. Overall, 31 of 36 made it through training.

From what we've heard, the 8/1 class, about 15% got to choose their locations, while the other 85% were forced into Queens with the option to come back during the system pick in January.

And, now, from today's word: I hear 126th is down 10 operators, so it's safe to assume they'll be on the table for picking this week We'll find out what's going on with the rest tomorrow or Wednesday.

31 out of 36, that is a very high percentage, even 50% on day 10

is high. Not out of the woods by a long shot.

One has to get through 3 weeks of line training, very little room

for error. They say driving is the easy part, it's dealing with the

passengers that is the most difficult. Working in a job that deals

with the public breaks you.

Yep. The biggest part is patience, and keeping to yourself on the bus. The 3 weeks of line training is just with another operator to learn the routes and understand the passengers while you're with that operator; otherwise it's just another day. And the 3 weeks don't compare to an entire year of probation where we'll be seeing beekies. The union guy even mentioned to us to remember the faces we see at Zerega because those are the ones who will be riding our buses. lol Not that it'll help, but at least it's a heads-up he says.

Either way I'm ready for it all.

Yep. The biggest part is patience, and keeping to yourself on the bus. The 3 weeks of line training is just with another operator to learn the routes and understand the passengers while you're with that operator; otherwise it's just another day. And the 3 weeks don't compare to an entire year of probation where we'll be seeing beekies. The union guy even mentioned to us to remember the faces we see at Zerega because those are the ones who will be riding our buses. lol Not that it'll help, but at least it's a heads-up he says.

Either way I'm ready for it all.

One can only imagine the intense pressure for those having to qualify

on day 10, you really don't want to get to that point.

I am sure with your mindset on day 7, that it was I am going to qualify

today no matter what.

So when you are line training does the senior B/O give updates on how

you are doing to the superintendents? do you get a different B/O line

training you every day or is it the same one for the entire 3 weeks?

I read about remembering the faces on here several times before.

Hopefully they don't go in disguise as an old lady or a crazy person,lol.

If I remember correctly they give you 3 undercover rides while on

probation. But most supers are home at night which is when you

will be mainly working.

One can only imagine the intense pressure for those having to qualify

on day 10, you really don't want to get to that point.

I am sure with your mindset on day 7, that it was I am going to qualify

today no matter what.

So when you are line training does the senior B/O give updates on how

you are doing to the superintendents? do you get a different B/O line

training you every day or is it the same one for the entire 3 weeks?

I read about remembering the faces on here several times before.

Hopefully they don't go in disguise as an old lady or a crazy person,lol.

If I remember correctly they give you 3 undercover rides while on

probation. But most supers are home at night which is when you

will be mainly working.

They assign different senior B/O every day. and no they don't give updates to anyone. in other word, you can mount the curb or back up the bus after failing to make the turn as much as you want lol

For the probie ride, you will get only two if both rides are "B/O full comply".

Here are the tips....

1.they usually give you the 1st ride on the 4th month, 2nd ride on the 8th month

2.look out for whoever dresses up that dip with a TA pass (immediate look at his belt to see if he has 2 cell phones)

3.keep contact with probies in your depot, so once he/she gets a ride, you know it's your turn very soon. and ask what the superintendent looks like.

4.The key for #2 and #3 above is to successfully identify the superintendent. So you know he/she is on your bus and you won't to anything stupid

5.if you get a ride during a snowing day, DON'T ever try to pass any bus in front of you. that's automatic 6 months extension baby

btw, the funny thing about my 2nd ride. he used a transfer when he got on my bus. and he didn't even look at me when I said Hi to him lol Luckily I asked my classmate and knew what he looks like, and was able to identify him even he tried to trick me with a transfer

They assign different senior B/O every day. and no they don't give updates to anyone. in other word, you can mount the curb or back up the bus after failing to make the turn as much as you want lol

For the probie ride, you will get only two if both rides are "B/O full comply".

Here are the tips....

1.they usually give you the 1st ride on the 4th month, 2nd ride on the 8th month

2.look out for whoever dresses up that dip with a TA pass (immediate look at his belt to see if he has 2 cell phones)

3.keep contact with probies in your depot, so once he/she gets a ride, you know it's your turn very soon. and ask what the superintendent looks like.

4.The key for #2 and #3 above is to successfully identify the superintendent. So you know he/she is on your bus and you won't to anything stupid

5.if you get a ride during a snowing day, DON'T ever try to pass any bus in front of you. that's automatic 6 months extension baby

btw, the funny thing about my 2nd ride. he used a transfer when he got on my bus. and he didn't even look at me when I said Hi to him lol Luckily I asked my classmate and knew what he looks like, and was able to identify him even he tried to trick me with a transfer

Undercover will not use his TA pass every time, they are not that stupid.

Dont even stress your self out looking at passes or belts. For the first year, just do your job as you were tough, after the year ends you can relax a little bit.

BTW. there is no rule about no passing buses in snow...

I wonder why 126th wasn't on the list today... Thought that was a reliable source.. Maybe their needs will change by the morning..? I know most of the class wants Brooklyn since 2/3 are residents of the borough..

Queens being a general pool and not knowing where they will stick you, no thanks...

Yeah, though we didn't pick today since we ran out of time, we saw our options, which is very favorable to me on all accounts:

Flatbush: 4 slots

Ulmer Park: 4 slots

Jackie Gleason: 5 slots

Queens (general): about 20-25 slots

Those who prefered Queens were taken to another room; everyone else has to choose Brooklyn as nothing else is on the table. And you can forget your seniority if you're over the 13th general pick, as you'll get knocked to Queens along with everyone else under you too (31 students in total).

I'm very excited for Ulmer Park, but was advised that maybe I should wait a few more years to get to know the job first, then pick over there. I'll be picking at Flatbush tomorrow morning, which will gain me experience, and perhaps I'll stay there for the long run until I get promoted soon.

Uh, I think 22 out of 36 people made it from Day 7, and we'll find out who made it from Day 9 on Monday morning; I heard the other 2 people made it from Grand Avenue training during Day 9 yesterday. I don't have an exact number as of yet for everything else.

Back to Zerega all week long until we're shipped off to our depots.

The wheelbase on the hybrids play a factor in controlling I guess, or whatever, but it's a lot more comfortable to drive - the seat goes all the way back, and drives like a car basically. One of the charteristics about the NGs is when you let up off the service brake, you'd coast with a regular transmission bus, but not with the NG; you need to actually accelerate yourself just to inch up even.

And I think we go back to Zerega for graduation. Not confirmed yet though.

They pool together our class only for graduation; other classes have their own set dates for graduation.

Congrats to you and all the other newbies! Pay attention, and listen, and you should be ok!

As far as the breaks go, all hybrids have retarders, which automatically cut power to the wheels when the accelerator is released.

Yeah, though we didn't pick today since we ran out of time, we saw our options, which is very favorable to me on all accounts:

Flatbush: 4 slots

Ulmer Park: 4 slots

Jackie Gleason: 5 slots

Queens (general): about 20-25 slots

Those who prefered Queens were taken to another room; everyone else has to choose Brooklyn as nothing else is on the table. And you can forget your seniority if you're over the 13th general pick, as you'll get knocked to Queens along with everyone else under you too (31 students in total).

I'm very excited for Ulmer Park, but was advised that maybe I should wait a few more years to get to know the job first, then pick over there. I'll be picking at Flatbush tomorrow morning, which will gain me experience, and perhaps I'll stay there for the long run until I get promoted soon.

Thanks for the breakdown Acela, when you say "13th general pick" you

are referring to your class(31 who qualified).

Once you mentioned promotion I knew that you were already studying

for next years NYCT dispatcher exam. Even though you need 3 yrs minimum

it's good to get a feel for the exam so you are better prepared

for the next one.

Locomotion69-

Yes, I was referring to my class. If you didn't pick any of the depots available initially then you're automatically bumped to Queens or whatever borough they need operators at the time of the pick.

As for the SLD test, you need a minimum of 3 years, but many of us will be taking it next year; once they call your list number, whether it's 3 years from now, or not, you'll be eligible; and if it's not 3 years, you can always restore your name to the list, sorta how DCAS runs things now.

Another requirement for SLD: make sure you have at least half your sick days in the bank; if not you're screwed for the position.

As for today's report-

We all picked depots this morning. I'll officially be joining the Flatbush crew tomorrow morning for my first day. There was a pick for Queens afterwards where those who were 'forced' were able to choose --- the breakdown was as follows: 8 slots for Jamaica; 8 slots for Queens Village; 2 slots for Casey Stengel. CS went in a blink of a eye; QV went away 2nd; and Jamaica was treated as a step-child for some reason - the last resort for the remainder. lol

I met a few members from this forum today, and just want to wish you guys good luck and enjoy.

We'll have stories on graduation day. haha!

We have the best lines at CS thats why it went fast. We got about 35 new Operators in last 2 months!

Wait till you get bounced all around during system pick...Queens will look real good then!

Trust me, those who were forced into Queens were pissed. And many said (in my class) they would pick into Queens if you weren't locked into one depot. I know I would've. Too bad that isn't the case.

BTW, CS went quick because there was only 2 slots and they were available after the general pick closed out for the available depots. And, not to argue, but many (and I do many) would say that QV has the best routes. It is what is though.

I'm happy with my decision.

See you out there.

I could have chosen Qv but opted for Jamaica. Until I drive all the routes, i'm not going to pass judgement. Here is an interesting statistic, 80% of people who were forced into queens whether CS, JA, or QV decided to stay. This was said by a manager while at Zerega.

This was also reaffirmed by another manager at Jamaica.He said there were 5 students who were forced into JA and put in transfers to go back to TWU depots. Out of the 5, four decided to stay, and one left. If i like it. I might stay. It's a Job and it pays really well from both sides of the spectrum. Beggers can't be choosers and i certainly begged(in my own way) for this job.

With that being said, I have a 12 hour run tomorrow. As a matter of fact most in our group will be doing 12 hour runs tomorrow.With only a couple doing 9 hour runs. Talk about being thrown in deep water. Also being on the extra list we were told that we will be working alot of nights. I'll take my time and do what is expected of me. No rush no worries here.

By the way, we have Rts's and hybrids here, we get to choose...thats right......CHOOSE what bus we want to drive here in Jamaica. We have that option but was also warned.....while on probation stay away from the hybrids because of the overhang. We have 30 new buses arriving before the end of the year. I don't know how they do it in other depots but having the choice of what bus you want to drive is very cool. I feel comfortable already.

Yeah, I spoke to someone in your group at Jamaica a few minutes ago, and he said the same thing. "Stay the f**kk away from the hybrids" lol.

Well, good for you and everyone else at Jamaica, but I have my own story to add here. Guess what? We got thrown in the fire today! No orientation, no nothing; I don't even know who AGM or Union Rep is for our depot. After 8AM, we get called by the crew SLD, by last name, with a paddle report in his hand and pointing to who our line trainer would be.

At this point I'm confused as f**kk, and wasn't prepared to drive today, mentally.

But, I did it nonetheless with a 11 hour run -- first half on the B41, with a 3 hour swing, then second half on the B46 (2 roundtrips LTD). I got the business today on Utica Avenue, especially my last trip (going to Fillmore Avenue, not KP) during PM rush hour. It was about 6 buses loading at Eastern Parkway with about 400 people in the damn stand. Yep, I pulled the park brake and loaded for about 5-6 minutes - standing load.

That was just one of the perks of running B46. lol

There's 5 students, and I know aside from me, one is on the B44 today and tomorrow; one was training on the B2 today; and another was training on the B41 with me on the first half, but in different directions.

What a day.

Acela , welcome to HELL (46) :(

What was that mess with lost student today ?

Haha, thanks Olegkha!

And yeah, about the student, I'm not sure, but I heard it over the radio as did you.

I think I know who they were referring to, but I saw him leave with a line trainer this morning right before I got yanked out too. Last time I saw him. lol

When I got back to the depot to check tomorrow assignments I notice only 4 names were listed, not 5.

I seen dude siting in the depot when I came in. He is in his middle 30, middle eastern ( India? or Pakistan ? ). He was having a meal and dispatcher was asking for his Drivers license or a permit. Dispatcher asked me to call him to get his attention and I think She sad " Call that guy Aly ".

Did he go out with the trainer and got lost ? or went out with some one who he was not assigned to? Strange.

Loco:

The distance from rear wheels to the rear bumper in Hybrids are much longer then in RTS. When puling out fro the bust stop if you turn the wheel all the way to the left, the right rear corner will go over the curb while pulling out ( 2 feet over the curb) Fire hydrant or a bust stop shelter or a person standing that close to the curb can fall victim to the overhang of the bus.

Unless you are 100 % sure there is no one or nothing near the rear corner, the wheel should never be turned all the way to either side.

I seen dude siting in the depot when I came in. He is in his middle 30, middle eastern ( India? or Pakistan ? ). He was having a meal and dispatcher was asking for his Drivers license or a permit. Dispatcher asked me to call him to get his attention and I think She sad " Call that guy Aly ".

Did he go out with the trainer and got lost ? or went out with some one who he was not assigned to? Strange.

Loco:

The distance from rear wheels to the rear bumper in Hybrids are much longer then in RTS. When puling out fro the bust stop if you turn the wheel all the way to the left, the right rear corner will go over the curb while pulling out ( 2 feet over the curb) Fire hydrant or a bust stop shelter or a person standing that close to the curb can fall victim to the overhang of the bus.

Unless you are 100 % sure there is no one or nothing near the rear corner, the wheel should never be turned all the way to either side.

Thanks big guy, something that I never really payed attention to.

I always focus on the front of the bus when it's pulling out of a stop

and see how it merges into traffic.

That explains why I sometimes see buses stop 2-3 ft away from the curb

even though there are no obstructions in the bus stop.

Nah, that's not the guy I'm thinking about then. I don't know who the hell "Aly" is.

I saw the fella yesterday in the swing room with the rest of us new jacks, and he was on the B46 with me that day.

BTW, we finally had our orientation with the Union Rep, Richie; the GS (aka the boss), and the GM. We hung out til swing time, then drove our second halves. I was on the 46 again. lol

One of my classmates called me last night - told me we have a 3-day weekend because we're not working on Monday. Damn, just when I thought they were gonna light fire to ass with that day, they take it away. haha! I suppose we have to work next weekend that Saturday to make up for it.

I see after 6PM the B46s (bridge plaza bound) were getting slammed. I got off at Avenue H and saw a steady mob waiting to board (at Kings Plaza too), sorta looked like Eastern Parkway and Utica for a slight minute. I got off and about 7 buses came behind it.

Another day at Flatbush ...

They warned us about the hybrids in class - their rear overhang.

I haven't had a hybrid yet, but hoping to get one on Tuesday when I report.

Archived