[#5025- Bus Operator] Just got the letter!

Acela Express

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I figured that already.

I figure MT, TW, WTh, or ThF would the RDOs, with late shifts.

I looked at the board yesterday and looked at the latest shifts for some of the routes, and though some start at 5PM and clear at 2:30AM, its got SS RDOs, which I can kiss good-bye too. :-(

Ah well.

I suppose when I line train on the B2 or B31, it'd be a piece of cake.

If the B46 is your regular run then may've saw you out there on Thursday or Friday. haha!

I'm loving the Nova 5000s -- they put in work when it's needed, especially on Utica.

I had 9693 the other day, and the acceleration and braking sucked. The braking seemed "off" compared to the 5000s.

If the B46 is your regular run then may've saw you out there on Thursday or Friday. haha!

I'm loving the Nova 5000s -- they put in work when it's needed, especially on Utica.

I had 9693 the other day, and the acceleration and braking sucked. The braking seemed "off" compared to the 5000s.

i feel what u saying but to me the rts aint as bad as you think, i drove the hige brid when i was at LGA. So since ECH have nothing but rts for now i got use to the rts, its not that bad. For the fall pick im on the Q50 starting today and i been on the Bx23 for the last couple of days. I got use to the RTS its not that bad lol, i know in the near future that ECH will see high brids but for now we have to stick with the RTS, i wish they will go back to the orions like they did before i came in lol, hey it is what it is. Congrats once again and if u run into someone name kevein tell him G said whats up from the 40z he knowns what im talking about.:tup: and good luck with probo which im still on 3 months dwn 9 more to go lol.

Hey this question is intended for Acela or any B/O who can help out. What is the policy on the farebox? Let's say an individual boards the bus and walks right past the fare box with no intention of paying the fare, are we to confront the passenger or just let it fly? What would be the appropriate action for a B/O to take?

Hey this question is intended for Acela or any B/O who can help out. What is the policy on the farebox? Let's say an individual boards the bus and walks right past the fare box with no intention of paying the fare, are we to confront the passenger or just let it fly? What would be the appropriate action for a B/O to take?

Well if i was a bus driver i would let them go and they press one of the buttons that beeps it`s from f1 to f6 sumthing like that i don`t know what f key they press but they press it if some one just walks pass the fare box never ever confront a passenger that does not pay the fare because u don`t know if he or she has a knife or a gun ur life is more important and ur family will be devastated if they lost u so for 2.25 ur life is not worth it.

Try to avoid confrontations at all costs. Your main job is to transport

your passengers from point A to point B safely. Your paycheck stays the

same whether or not they pay the fare. Like Igor said you have to press

one of the F keys on the farebox.

A B/O's job would be a little easier if they didn't have to deal with all

the problems that come along with the fare box.

my friend was interviewed 2 years ago then he was waiting for the medical exam. That when they froze everything. He told me last week, he finally able to move forward with the hiring process. Now my friend i am worried which depot is better--jackie gleason or ulmer park? i used to be a brooklyn boy and don't know how the neighborhood change these days.(16 years out of nyc) i remember most bus route and was able to see which depot have the route. To me both depot had 2 bad route in my opinion. any suggestion?

Do nothing. We're instructed to state the fare is $2.25, but we're not allowed to put anyone off the bus ourselves; if a problem arises (other than the farebox - like disturbing the peace kinda passenger) then you let Command make the final say, if you're being taken out of service, or let the Police take care of it.

Just drive the bus and be professional.

BTW, I've been dealing with people not paying since I started line training. Do I care? Of course not; I don't carry my feelings on my shoulders either so it makes my day even smoother.

Hope I've answered your question. :-)

Do nothing. We're instructed to state the fare is $2.25, but we're not allowed to put anyone off the bus ourselves; if a problem arises (other than the farebox - like disturbing the peace kinda passenger) then you let Command make the final say, if you're being taken out of service, or let the Police take care of it.

Just drive the bus and be professional.

BTW, I've been dealing with people not paying since I started line training. Do I care? Of course not; I don't carry my feelings on my shoulders either so it makes my day even smoother.

Hope I've answered your question. :-)

Good man. I had a problem with this a few times. I just called control and a cop met me enroute and took that pax off. Some drivers let that 7 year ish play with they judgement. A cold hard criminal doesn't care about doing time. Someone getting in your face is tempting but you have to leave your ego home.

Welcome to the world of being a b/o AcelaExpress!

We've stopped using the word "challenge" to describe what a bus operator needs to do to thwart fare evasion. "Challenge" implies confrontation, which leads too often to hostile verbal exchanges and even physical assaults.

The key to you stating "excuse me but the fare is_____," is your TONE. It is also to let the other decent fare-paying customers know that you're not tolerating exceptions. Since they all had to pay, this one offender should not be excused from being asked to pay. If someone claims they paid already (and didn't) or merely chooses to ignore you, your other requirement AFTER CALLING ATTENTION TO THE COST OF THE FARE IS TO PRESS THE DUMP BUTTON (USUALLY THE F5 KEY) and continue serving your customers.

This button helps the Authority and Police track trends in fare evasion.

If fare evasion is rampant, with culprits entering the rear door in droves, you know to contact the Command Center either by silent alarm or radio. Chronic fare evasion should also be reported to supervision.

Sugar gets you farther than vinegar!

All the best!

That is so true. Once on my scanner I heard a B/O calling console

that a passenger was verbally abusing him, the first thing that the

dispatcher asked was, what did you say to her? The B/O replied that

all he said to her was that the fare is $2.25....meanwhile in the background

I could hear the lady shouting and cursing, :mad: lol

Some people have short fuses and they can go off on you over the most

insignificant things.

• 3 weeks later...
We've stopped using the word "challenge" to describe what a bus operator needs to do to thwart fare evasion. "Challenge" implies confrontation, which leads too often to hostile verbal exchanges and even physical assaults.

The key to you stating "excuse me but the fare is_____," is your TONE. It is also to let the other decent fare-paying customers know that you're not tolerating exceptions. Since they all had to pay, this one offender should not be excused from being asked to pay. If someone claims they paid already (and didn't) or merely chooses to ignore you, your other requirement AFTER CALLING ATTENTION TO THE COST OF THE FARE IS TO PRESS THE DUMP BUTTON (USUALLY THE F5 KEY) and continue serving your customers.

This button helps the Authority and Police track trends in fare evasion.

If fare evasion is rampant, with culprits entering the rear door in droves, you know to contact the Command Center either by silent alarm or radio. Chronic fare evasion should also be reported to supervision.

Sugar gets you farther than vinegar!

All the best!

SimMan, If you dont mind me asking, What do you do for TA ? You would like management material when you say "If fare evasion is rampant, with culprits entering the rear door in droves, you know to contact the Command Center either by silent alarm or radio. Chronic fare evasion should also be reported to supervision." No BO will do that.

But on the other hand F5 is not DUMP its a short pay.

SimMan, If you dont mind me asking, What do you do for TA ? You would like management material when you say "If fare evasion is rampant, with culprits entering the rear door in droves, you know to contact the Command Center either by silent alarm or radio. Chronic fare evasion should also be reported to supervision." No BO will do that.

I think we need to read between the lines with his posts, as he's probably a Superintedent, maybe. But regardless of position, he's posted valuable information for the most part that helped myself and others in the road to success of being an Bus Operator.

And I agree with "no BO would do that" comment.

I believe Command Center has better things to do than tell you "OK, please proceed in service." as they note down the call about fare evasion.

Some of the rules and regulations are put in place to make sure you follow guidelines, but your common sense plays a HUGE role in your day-to-day operations of your bus. But that's just my opinion.

Archived