12-9 On The (2) (5) Line in the bronx

Andres

The only way I can feel sorry for the man is if he accidentally fell on the tracks or someone pushed him. But if he jumped on his own, let him deal with his death or injuries. I just feel terrible for those who witnessed that especially the T/O.

Hmm so that was the 'investigation' at Intervale avenue I was hearing all afternoon. I first heard about this at 96th street. but the most random thing I saw was a R142 (2) train parked on the 103 street 'express' track.

Hmm I feel sorry for him. he was probably going crazy inside & decided that suicide was the only option. poor man.

Yep, thats why this morning my (2) stalled at 135 street for about 15 minutes, then the C/R changed the signs to (3) and then terminated at 148 St-Lenox.

But the weirdest thing was the C/R shut off the programming before coming into the terminal & sk9skipped 145 Street. It then went back down to New Lots Avenue with the (2) programming.

When I went down to Brooklyn Bridge the Countdown clock said that the (5) was going to 149 St-GC, but when it arrived the signs said it was going to E 180 St via Bronx Exp :confused:.

Yep, thats why this morning my (2) stalled at 135 street for about 15 minutes, then the C/R changed the signs to (3) and then terminated at 148 St-Lenox.

But the weirdest thing was the C/R shut off the programming before coming into the terminal & sk9skipped 145 Street. It then went back down to New Lots Avenue with the (2) programming.

When I went down to Brooklyn Bridge the Countdown clock said that the (5) was going to 149 St-GC, but when it arrived the signs said it was going to E 180 St via Bronx Exp :confused:.

if your train stalled in the morning it had nothing to do with the Investigation. the investigation happened at almost 2pm your train just got rerouted because of the construction.

and the express was only going downtown

if your train stalled in the morning it had nothing to do with the Investigation. the investigation happened at almost 2pm your train just got rerouted because of the construction.

and the express was only going downtown

oh... Then I wonder what happened because the C/R said there was a police investigation in the bronx at that time :eek::confused:.

Maybe he was predicting the future :eek:.

There is a G.O in the AM that has some (2) trains going to 148 Street on the (3) until the End of July, that was probably one of those trains.

where were u heading in the AM? To catch the (2) end at 148th as a (3)? :P

Hey, the (3) needs them NTT fleets one day, right? :P

Yeah I guess.. But i wouldnt leave my house to catch it if i had sumin important to do lol If im free i would.

Heh ive caught and ridding an R142 (3) 2-3 yrs ago and a (1) in 2009 :)

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 at about 2pm I was at the 174th Street elevated subway station for the #2 and #5 trains. I had to take my niece for a medical appointment on East 24th Street at 3pm, and was drafted for the task. Usually the trip lasts about 45 minutes, and today was a day I wanted to be early.

During that time of day, the uptown #2 and #5 trains were by-passing all of the local stations between 149th Street-Third Avenue and East 180th Street due to a G.O. When we entered the platform a #2 downtown train rolled through the station, but since we were headed toward the Eastside, we let it pass. The "next train" indicator showed at a downtown #5 train was 3 minutes away.

After the #2 train passed, and while we waited for the #5 train, there was an announcement over the loudspeakers that due to police activity / investigation at the Intervale Avenue station, all downtown train service was suspended. Passengers were advised to go to the streets and to take a bus to Manhattan. I had a feeling that I should have taken that #2 train. Of course, I did not have a single bus map with me at the time.

At first only a couple of people on the platform moved, but the announcement was repeated. Upon reaching the subway booth, the station agent had no further information to give, except to say to the riders to take the trains on the uptown platforms. However since the uptown platform is being by-passed with all uptown trains on the express track, it might be a little hard to catch any trains there at that point. He had to be persuaded to hand out block tickets, at which point he contacted a supervisor by phone.

I needed two block tickets, but the station agent wanted proof that we just entered the subway, so we had to produce out Metro-Cards so that he could scan them, before handing us two block tickets. As my niece and I started down the stairway there was a Bronx #19 bus, that just pulled out of the bus stop, but a couple of minutes later a Bronx #21 bus pulled in. We ran for that bus, and upon entering I asked the bus driver what was the nearest subway stop that bus made. It turned out to be the 149th Street-Third Avenue station. We had to surrender our block tickets, which made me wonder if we had to pay an extra fare to get back on the subway? The bus driver said that yes - we have to pay an extra fare to get on the subway to complete our journey.

While on the bus I contacted the MTA Customer Service number to find out about that extra fare question, and the options available. The customer service agent said that yes, #2 and #5 trains were serving that station, a statement that turned out to be not true.

Upon reaching the Third Avenue-149th Street station, Manhattan-bound platform was blocked off, with subway workers telling everyone that they had to take any bus to 149th Street-Grand Concourse. Needless to say the buses were packed with people. The 149th Street-Grand Concourse station was packed with people at about 3pm, both entering and leaving the station, especially leaving station. Of course, we'd be late for her appointment. Yes, we had to pay an extra fare to enter the station.

On the #4 platform, there were a couple of #5 trains, one parked on the center track, and a newly relayed empty #5 train coming in on the downtown side. I'm assuming that #2 trains were terminated and relayed on its usual tracks. From that point downtown, the trip was uneventful, except that along the way at certain stations I could hear announcements that #2 and #5 Bronx service was suspended, but few statements of alternatives travel methods. At about 10 minutes to 4pm, we were able to get to her appointement, and yes very late.

I didn't know what actually happened at Intervale Avenue, until much later. I don't know actually how long the MTA wrestled with this problem, and / or how long it took to restore service back to normal. I don't know what better advice or travel methods that could be suggested when the trains crap out.

We had to wait a while for her to be seen, everything is alright, but we did check out Best Buy to use their online system to check the MTA website to see if service had returned to normal. I might have to look at getting a tablet computer, it might come in handy at these moments.

Mike

oh... Then I wonder what happened because the C/R said there was a police investigation in the bronx at that time :eek::confused:.

Maybe he was predicting the future :eek:.

A different police investigation perhaps.

Police are called to the subway quite often for different situations in the course of a day, just like they are called to street calls quite often in the course of a day. The subway is no different: an underground city.

Mike, if you had a MetroCard, couldn't you use the transfer to take the Bx21 to 3rd Avenue, and then use the block ticket at the Third Avenue station (or Grand Concourse after they told you Third Avenue was closed)? Or are block tickets only allowed to be used at nearby stations?

I don't think getting on that (2) train would've helped, since it probably would've been blocked further down the line (though it possibly would've helped you catch that Bx19 you missed)

checkmatechamp13 - to be honest, it actually never occurred to me! In hindsight, I see the point that you are making, and thank you my buddy, you do have a point.

At the time, the only thought was to get on the nearest bus to the subway as quickly as possible to make the appointment. I explained to the bus driver that service at the 174th Street station was stopped, and thus the why of the block ticket. It never occurred to me to simply present my Metro-Card. At the 149th Street-Grand Concourse station, there was a police-man at the open gate who demanded to see the block tickets of folks, or else they had to use their Metro-Cards to enter the subway station.

At the time, since I did not have any bus maps with me I made a best guess. I later learned that taking the Bx19 would have been the better bus, because it goes directly to 149th Street-Grand Concourse (and also to Third Avenue), but even better, after 174th Street it makes a straight run to the #6 train at Hunts Point and other stops. Moving by subway is faster if one is trying to make an appointment, which would have involved the #6 train anyway.

I thank you for giving me another perspective on this problem. However your suggestion does not work for the person who had to take a bus to the subway station, and due to a transit emergency, had to leave the station to take a bus and then a subway to their destination. Thanks in any case.

Mike

checkmatechamp13 - to be honest, it actually never occurred to me! In hindsight, I see the point that you are making, and thank you my buddy, you do have a point.

At the time, the only thought was to get on the nearest bus to the subway as quickly as possible to make the appointment. I explained to the bus driver that service at the 174th Street station was stopped, and thus the why of the block ticket. It never occurred to me to simply present my Metro-Card. At the 149th Street-Grand Concourse station, there was a police-man at the open gate who demanded to see the block tickets of folks, or else they had to use their Metro-Cards to enter the subway station.

At the time, since I did not have any bus maps with me I made a best guess. I later learned that taking the Bx19 would have been the better bus, because it goes directly to 149th Street-Grand Concourse (and also to Third Avenue), but even better, after 174th Street it makes a straight run to the #6 train at Hunts Point and other stops. Moving by subway is faster if one is trying to make an appointment, which would have involved the #6 train anyway.

I thank you for giving me another perspective on this problem. However your suggestion does not work for the person who had to take a bus to the subway station, and due to a transit emergency, had to leave the station to take a bus and then a subway to their destination. Thanks in any case.

Mike

At least you know for next time.

I'm sure at one point or another, something like this (where the order of paying for something matters) has happened to all of us, and probably with a larger sum of money than a subway fare.

You're 100% right that the station agent should've been of more assistance than she was. It's ridiculous that you should have to pay 2 fares when you were the one getting delayed.

Archived