A/C during the heatwave

jimbob60

I just want to say job well done to the MTA-NYC Subways division for a job well done keeping the A/C blowing cold air on subway trains. I ride the E and M trains and have yet to have a car that was not adequately cooled. Granted these lines run R160's, the newest of which are only running for their 2nd summer, but I also had to ride the R a few times 2 weeks ago and found the A/C on roughly 35 year old R46's to be working fine. I also ride the 7 with roughly 25 year old R62A's and the A/C has been fine. A ride 2 weeks ago on a very crowded roughly 10 year old R142A 6 train was quite comfortable. Thanks guy. I see tourists very impressed with the cars - especially the R160's. The stations are another matter.

Honestly during heat waves like this, I sweat it out with the A/C's in my car. Basically I normally drive during weather like this. Though say it wasn't as hot, then yeah I take the subway and I've yet to settle in a hot car yet.

This is a long way from the early 1980's when i was a little boy. Back then the then 'fairly new' R-46's which at that time ran on the (E)(F)(N) lines were the only trains that had a/c that worked on almost all of their cars.
i remember that thats the funny thing people dont wanna remember that time we have a good ass system now compared too then

IIRC, back in the nineties during a particularly trying heat wave, the TA was asked to turn off the A/C's in about half the cars in an attempt to prevent a total power black-out which had happenned (I know, I was stuck on an 'E' between Elmhurst Ave. and Grand Ave.). I wonder if that could happen again?

I believe they were also told to reduce the speeds of the trains in the same effort.

I know I won't be riding during this heat wave without my mini-maglite, just in case.......

Archived