Bus shortage affecting service!

East New York

Okay, so the problem is more severe than I first thought. I knew the MTA was short on buses, and I posted about it before, but all the information coming in now tells a different tale. I first started to wonder about the severity of the shortage when Baisley Park sent it's artics back to NYCT.

Now 8401-8565 are being scattered, and transfer to Yukon is delayed. The Bronx Division as a whole is short more than 50 buses. West farms has taken some ex-MTA Bus Orion V's. According to a B/O I frequently correspond with from TransitStuff, Gun Hill is waiting for MTA Bus Orion VII hybrids 3770-3783. We also know that Staten Island is still waiting for the Orion VI hybrids. MTA Bus is returning several 1100, and 9700 series RTS's to service as more 8000 series buses prepare to go back to NYCT. If we don't take delivery of some Orion VII's and artics soon, there's going to be a big problem. Yukon had to run 3 RTS's on express routes yesterday!

Okay, so the problem is more severe than I first thought. I knew the MTA was short on buses, and I posted about it before, but all the information coming in now tells a different tale. I first started to wonder about the severity of the shortage when Baisley Park sent it's artics back to NYCT.

Now 8401-8565 are being scattered, and transfer to Yukon is delayed. The Bronx Division as a whole is short more than 50 buses. West farms has taken some ex-MTA Bus Orion V's. According to a B/O I frequently correspond with from TransitStuff, Gun Hill is waiting for MTA Bus Orion VII hybrids 3770-3783. We also know that Staten Island is still waiting for the Orion VI hybrids. MTA Bus is returning several 1100, and 9700 series RTS's to service as more 8000 series buses prepare to go back to NYCT. If we don't take delivery of some Orion VII's and artics soon, there's going to be a big problem. Yukon had to run 3 RTS's on express routes yesterday!

Whoa! So some of (MTA) Bus hybrids are going to the Bronx. What is going to replace those buses? And I thought I was just seeing things when Nova bus RTS #9389 was signed on as the X1. Those three buses were 9389, 9402 and 9418.

Gun Hill getting Hybrids? That's a first.

Is this temporary until the NF Artics (most likely) and O7 NG buses arrive (I hope)?

Whoa! So some of (MTA) Bus hybrids are going to the Bronx. What is going to replace those buses? And I thought I was just seeing things when Nova bus RTS #9389 was signed on as the X1. Those three buses were 9389, 9402 and 9418.

Gun Hill getting Hybrids? That's a first.

Is this temporary until the NF Artics (most likely) and O7 NG buses arrive (I hope)?

Yeah we think this is just temporary until the new buses come in. There have been swaps daily all this week to supplement buses from different depots. Lets not forget about the MCI Cruisers that are supposed to be coming in soon to. They are badly needed, but it will only be a slight increase in capacity as the leases are coming to an end on the 1800/1900 series MCI's. I haven't seen an RTS on a Line-Haul express route in ages! I think a couple of then were 9200/9300 series buses. The 9400's don't have suburban style seating, but if it was, I bet that was interesting.

I wonder if you can say street exhaust RTSs back in service, since actually there are still a couple lying around (saw one in back of Stengel depot along Roosevelt Avenue, next to (7) el months ago but could not get the number). What I hope, though it may sound a little crazy at this point, is that there may be a couple lying around that are not roadeo/museum buses.

What cause this bus shortage? And can't the (NYCT) just put those RTSs that are in storage at LIC back in service? Aint that the point of storage in the first place?

And that must have been cool to ride an RTS on the gonwaus. LMAO if it didn't have express bus seats!!!

oh noes, RTSs on express routes again. But its Yukon so many aren't surprised by that.

But man, I knew it wasn't long til service was going to get worst after someone told me about how serious shortages are getting.

Hopefully the O7NGs and new MCIs come real soon.

What cause this bus shortage? And can't the (NYCT) just put those RTSs that are in storage at LIC back in service? Aint that the point of storage in the first place?

And that must have been cool to ride an RTS on the gonwaus. LMAO if it didn't have express bus seats!!!

The shortage is mostly caused by the fact that MTA has increased service on routes, and buses are breaking down. Some artics and a few batches of Orion VII's have been causing the TA some problems. Not only that, but several buses have been removed from service in the past few months due to accidents, and others to be seviced and/or overhauled.

To '89 Liberty: MTA won't put any non-repowered buses in service because they no longer meet EPA standards.

To R160B 8717: Yeah, I almost forgot about the 5900's. Most of them have been scraped, but there are a few good ones left.

But just a few months ago they put Classics with 6V-92TAs back into service, plus they still have those Classics in Eastchester which are on reserve and in operable condition.

You're right. I didn't even think about that. Maybe the Classics meet the standards somehow.

The Bronx Division as a whole is short more than 50 buses. West farms has taken some ex-MTA Bus Orion V's. According to a B/O I frequently correspond with from TransitStuff, Gun Hill is waiting for MTA Bus Orion VII hybrids 3770-3783. We also know that Staten Island is still waiting for the Orion VI hybrids.

Yukon had to run 3 RTS's on express routes yesterday!

Lmao at Yukon, but when isn't SI short on buses? I hope someone got pics of this. This is messed up but I wish this kinda stuff happened at QV. The look on people's faces would be priceless if a 9200 rolled up on the X68. They should run some Classics out of Yukon and Castleton, at least they're reliable. Never seen one break down.

Gun Hill's problem is just going to get worse because BRT is starting next month (bus stops are already up on the Parkway). The 3700's and 100's fix the problem for now at GH and WF but that still leaves KB short buses, so what's going over there?

They need to unscrap some buses at Eastchester Depot.All those buses there and they talk about shortages, I think laziness is the correct term. Transferring buses instead of fixing up stored ones for service.

Lmao at Yukon, but when isn't SI short on buses? I hope someone got pics of this. This is messed up but I wish this kinda stuff happened at QV. The look on people's faces would be priceless if a 9200 rolled up on the X68. They should run some Classics out of Yukon and Castleton, at least they're reliable. Never seen one break down.

Gun Hill's problem is just going to get worse because BRT is starting next month (bus stops are already up on the Parkway). The 3700's and 100's fix the problem for now at GH and WF but that still leaves KB short buses, so what's going over there?

The only way for Yukon/Castleton to get Classics however, is for the Classics to be transferred to MTA-NYCT for a minute.

You're right. I didn't even think about that. Maybe the Classics meet the standards somehow.

My friend who's a Spring Creek operator (not Rail King, different guy) told me that the DDEC 6V-92TAs (in Classics) don't smoke as badly as the non-DDEC (mechanical) 6V-92TAs (in old RTSs).

The shortage is only major problem for the Bronx, and Staten Island, but it's puting pressure on all the other boroughs, as well as MTA bus. Over the next few days, this is going to get interesting. It's worse that I thought. There are about to start picking buses as moving them around. West Farms, Gun Hill, and Kingsbridge had some crazy loan deal where buses were going everywhere, but ended up back at their respective depots by the end of the night. So some of these moves will be temporary, and a bus may change locations twice in one day. Your right, Gun Hill will be good when they get hybrids from MTA Bus. That relieves a little pressure on West Farms, but not much because Kingsbridge is short artics and 40fters.

They need to unscrap some buses at Eastchester Depot.All those buses there and they talk about shortages, I think laziness is the correct term. Transferring buses instead of fixing up stored ones for service.

Everybody is working overtime at all the CFM's and maintenance bays at all the depots right now to get some buses in service.

The only way for Yukon/Castleton to get Classics however, is for the Classics to be transferred to MTA-NYCT for a minute.

LOL... The MTA doesn't want Classics anywhere near Staten Island.

My friend who's a Spring Creek operator (not Rail King, different guy) told me that the DDEC 6V-92TAs (in Classics) don't smoke as badly as the non-DDEC (mechanical) 6V-92TAs (in old RTSs).

Yeah, so they meet the standards with the DDEC then. Thanks.

Shot this today

DSC07896.jpg

Ya'll haven't seen anything yet. The Orion VII's are going to be behind schedule now! They better pull out some Classics, and order some New Flyer's fast. Whats going to happen if any more 6400 series Orions break down? The Orion V upgrades are going to take forever at East New York because the whole propulsion system needs to be overhauled and upgraded. Not only that, but are they going to mate the HybriDrive to the DDs30 that's in them, or repower the bus with a Cummins?

The shortage is only major problem for the Bronx, and Staten Island, but it's puting pressure on all the other boroughs, as well as MTA bus. Over the next few days, this is going to get interesting. It's worse that I thought. There are about to start picking buses as moving them around. West Farms, Gun Hill, and Kingsbridge had some crazy loan deal where buses were going everywhere, but ended up back at their respective depots by the end of the night. So some of these moves will be temporary, and a bus may change locations twice in one day. Your right, Gun Hill will be good when they get hybrids from MTA Bus. That relieves a little pressure on West Farms, but not much because Kingsbridge is short artics and 40fters.

I didn't see any buses out of the norm in the BX today other than 441 on the Bx2 but I'll post if I see something. This is what always went on in the Bronx, it just now there a lot of buses missing/needed. Gh is usually the reason for why WF is short because they always need artics. Now for KB, I see them getting buses from Stengel aka more O5's. If they go for MTA bus, I hope it'll be the SC 3500's

Okay Kingsbridge Orion Vs are running on the Bx8,26,28,30, & 31. This is getting out of hand!

-West Farm and Gun Hill are operating KB buses, and KB is just out of luck.

-B/O's in Staten Island don't have any buses to drive, and have to wait for someone to do a "pull in."

-Yukon now has 6 TMC's on hand, and is expected to recieve more today.

-Far Rockaway just lost a bus today due to an accident.

-West Farms has an Orion VII CNG out of service due to a fire.

-Baisley Park needs 14 RTS's out of storage because 3770-3783 are going to GH

This is just the begining of a very interesting summer. What the heck are they going to do when it's starts getting really hot, and the Artics start breaking down?

Where the heck are the new MCI's that should have been here by now?

MTA is off the chain right now!

^ I thought the Hybrids was heading for GH?

Also forgot to mention KB Orion Vs are running on the Bx42 pretty often! Same for VII CNGs on the Bx40. You will even see some of the GH Orion Vs on the 40. The Bx5 is also using some Orion Vs lately. Bx27 is FAR from KB but using thier buses... MTA has alot of stuff on thier plate to finish!

Lets not forget some GH artics are at West Farms!

-West Farm and Gun Hill are operating KB buses, and KB is just out of luck.

-B/O's in Staten Island don't have any buses to drive, and have to wait for someone to do a "pull in."

-Yukon now has 6 TMC's on hand, and is expected to recieve more today.

-Far Rockaway just lost a bus today due to an accident.

-West Farms has an Orion VII CNG out of service due to a fire.

-Baisley Park needs 14 RTS's out of storage because 3770-3783 are going to GH

This is just the begining of a very interesting summer. What the heck are they going to do when it's starts getting really hot, and the Artics start breaking down?

Where the heck are the new MCI's that should have been here by now?

MTA is off the chain right now!

the artics have been O/S for a while because the Bx1,2 and 9 have been running O5's and not just on school trips. Saw 208 on the 12 the other day too.

How in the hell did KB go from being 15-40 footers and some artics short to giving WF and GH buses??! I'm praying they just send KB the hybrids then. They have go to WF before they get sent to either GH or KB because its the BX division HQ

^ I thought the Hybrids was heading for GH?

Also forgot to mention KB Orion Vs are running on the Bx42 pretty often! Same for VII CNGs on the Bx40. You will even see some of the GH Orion Vs on the 40. The Bx5 is also using some Orion Vs lately. Bx27 is FAR from KB but using thier buses... MTA has alot of stuff on thier plate to finish!

Lets not forget some GH artics are at West Farms!

You're right. The hybrids are going to GH. I was thinking about WF's CNG when I typed that in.

the artics have been O/S for a while because the Bx1,2 and 9 have been running O5's and not just on school trips. Saw 208 on the 12 the other day too.

How in the hell did KB go from being 15-40 footers and some artics short to giving WF and GH buses??! I'm praying they just send KB the hybrids then. They have go to WF before they get sent to either GH or KB because its the BX division HQ

Most of the buses are at WF and GH on loan, and will go back to KB when this mess is sorted out. Those two depots are in worse shape than KB from what I am hearing, even though I can't see either of them being worse than KB.

Yes there is a bus shortage, but there always has been. Yard dispatchers and drivers had been waiting for buses since I started the job. This is in both KB and WF. Why? Heat. It has gotten hot, and due to the age of some of the garbage, buses have been going out for the count. A/C pulls on the engines alot. Artics will break down more than the 40fters (hence why there are 40fters on the Bx19, Bx1/2, Bx55, Bx9, Bx5 and Bx41 at times). 2 huge A/C units, pulling on an engine designed for a 40ft Orion V. Bus is heavy enough, then this.........I drove Orion VII, and Orion Vs (200series) on the Bx19 at times. I have gotten very weak Orion Vs (400series) lately. Buses sluggishly accelerate, and takes a while to change gears. We really need new buses, as the alot of the equipment and engines are "tired"........NYC has taken a toll on the buses. Delaying buses, for minor issues is something NYC needs to stop doing. We need new artics, and 40fters. The old artics need a major overhaul. The bodies are still good, but suspension work, and new engines are sorely needed.

Archived