Beach 67th St name change

R33WF

Since the (MTA) had gone with this name change at Beach 67th, it will be nice if they also do it for these other stations IMO. Not meant to be off topic.

New proposed Name

Willets Point-Flushing Meadows Sports Complex

Yankee Stadium-East 153rd Street

188th Street-Fordham

74th Street-Jackson Heights

225th Street-Marble Hill

7th Avenue-Park Slope

Jamaica Ave-Van Wyck South

These are the most obvious.

Forget the Mets, I think the station should just be named "Willets Point". Also, the name "74th St - Jackson Heights", while I am in favor of it, wouldn't really work because the next station over on the (7) heading East is already named "82nd St - Jackson Heights".

1. Most people go to Willets Point for the Mets games, not for the tennis complex. The station would've been named Citi Field hadn't Citibank been so cheap.

2. No one calls it "Yankees-E 153rd St". I don't think it's even announced as such on the M7s. It's just on the signs and maps.

3. Why? There are entrances on Fordham Road proper.

4. Roosevelt Avenue is the main street, not 74th Street

5. It is called Marble Hill-225 St, at least on the maps that is.

6. I'm not sure about this one, but for some reason, I recall the overhead signs saying 7th Avenue-Park Slope.

7. Again, why? It's not someone's going to take the (E) to Jamaica-Van Wyck and hop on the Van Wyck Expwy. There's no need to be that specific. If anything, it should just be called "Jamaica Av".

I think the main reason the stations are named, "Mets-Willets Point" and "Yankees-East 153rd Street," is because the stations won't have to get their names changed whenever the stadiums get names changed.

Guest lance25

I highly doubt the names will change anytime soon. Yankee Stadium will always be Yankee Stadium and the only way CitiField is changing its name is through a bank merger like what happened at Buffalo's HSBC Arena (formerly Marine Midland Arena). Other than that, I don't the name changing since Citibank paid some serious dough to build the stadium and put its name on it.

Forget the Mets, I think the station should just be named "Willets Point". Also, the name "74th St - Jackson Heights", while I am in favor of it, wouldn't really work because the next station over on the (7) heading East is already named "82nd St - Jackson Heights".

I agree that Jackson Heights/74 Street (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) should be renamed, more so for complex consistency (like with Court Square). Maybe drop Jackson Heights completely and rename it Roosevelt Avenue - 74 Street or Roosevelt Avenue - Broadway.

No, sorry, they do not. M7s are LIRR only

M7As are on metro-north. all hudson and Harlem MU's carry the "A" suffix.

Ok Kamen. Techincally they slightly different. With that said to most people M-7 and M7a means almost no difference.

Plus at work(my brother works at Metro North)the crews still just calls the

"M7"s and not "M7a's."

Back to the station name. Why not call both 74th Street "Jackson Heights" and drop it from 82nd Street to avoid confusion?

Real Estate developers trying to trick people into actually living there making them think its desireable ;)

A lot of new stuff is going up out there, though. They are making it look like an upscale area. Come to think of it, it may be why the (A) line is being redone. You don't want crappy-looking stations leading to a nice neighborhood.

The fact both Seaside Projects and Playland have been gone since the 1980s.

so, that doenst mean the MTA is actively planning on renaming the stations, the only reason Gaston is being changed is cuz of Arverne by the Sea, and they want to draw attention to the new housing development there. The maps dont even show the extra words anymore nor do the conductors announce the long names.

Back to the station name. Why not call both 74th Street "Jackson Heights" and drop it from 82nd Street to avoid confusion?

That might work, but there's always the (7) train people who don't pay attention to changes who will be accustom to seeing "Jackson Heights" as a suffix to 82nd, not 74th. But maybe we should stop caring about those people and just go with it.

That might work, but there's always the (7) train people who don't pay attention to changes who will be accustom to seeing "Jackson Heights" as a suffix to 82nd, not 74th. But maybe we should stop caring about those people and just go with it.

Or follow what other subway/light rail systems have with neighborhood station names around the country. Call both 74th and 82nd "Jackson Heights" since that the actual locations of both stations.

Or follow what other subway/light rail systems have with neighborhood station names around the country. Call both 74th and 82nd "Jackson Heights" since that the actual locations of both stations.

That could work. It'd be similar (not the same, but similar) to how the (E)/(N) has a Lexington Av and Fifth Av, both with a suffix of 53 Street/59 Street, respectively.

A lot of new stuff is going up out there, though. They are making it look like an upscale area. Come to think of it, it may be why the (A) line is being redone. You don't want crappy-looking stations leading to a nice neighborhood.

so, that doenst mean the MTA is actively planning on renaming the stations, the only reason Gaston is being changed is cuz of Arverne by the Sea, and they want to draw attention to the new housing development there. The maps dont even show the extra words anymore nor do the conductors announce the long names.

The A line out here was at the beginnings of being redone when constructing of ABTS first started with track replacement.

Part of the deal was the station rename to make it more 'lucrative' along with their own "Stop n Shop".

As for Playland and seaside, dont count on it. No other stations are being renamed. All of the Far Rock stops have atleast one new sign up and they all have the original names except for 67th. and most c/r's use the full name or even just the extra ( This is Frank Ave)

My replies in red.

i like the new name for the station

Some possible name changes

(J) Chauncey St to Rockaway Av -Not terrible idea. However since the 24/7 full time station agent is on 'Chauncey' itself it's could stay with the "Chauncey' name..

©Lafayette Av to N Portland Av-Again not an intresting idea. While the 'main' 24/7 locations is on "Portland' this would be confusing to many riders. Maybe "Portland and Lafayette' similar to my idea for renaming the Fordham Rd (D) stop to '188th Street/Fordham' could work here.

W 4 St to W 3-W 8 Sts-Again not a terrible proposal. While the station enterences is actually either on "West 3rd' or "West 8th" the NIMBYS in that area of Greenwich Village would scream about the change.

Thus in this case "West 4th' should remain.

(J) Hewes St to Hooper St

Similar to the Chauncey St idea. While the 24/7 station location is on "Hooper" there 1 issue. NIMBYS may not be happy over the name change and thus this is a histroic thing and thus no need to change it.

Replies in red.

I agree that Jackson Heights/74 Street (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) should be renamed, more so for complex consistency (like with Court Square). Maybe drop Jackson Heights completely and rename it Roosevelt Avenue - 74 Street or Roosevelt Avenue - Broadway.

That could work. It'd be similar (not the same, but similar) to how the (E)/(N) has a Lexington Av and Fifth Av, both with a suffix of 53 Street/59 Street, respectively.

It won't be resonable to name the (7) train station to Rosevelt Avenue - 74 St cause the (7) goes via Rosevelt until 46 St - Bliss St. However I would recommend both stations to be considered a complex and name it Broadway. Or just leave it the way it is. I think 74 St- Broadway on the 7 should be changed to a local and express station.

It won't be resonable to name the (7) train station to Rosevelt Avenue - 74 St cause the (7) goes via Rosevelt until 46 St - Bliss St. However I would recommend both stations to be considered a complex and name it Broadway. Or just leave it the way it is. I think 74 St- Broadway on the 7 should be changed to a local and express station.

I'm aware that the (7) runs over Roosevelt, that's why Shortline had recommended "74 St-Jackson Hts" (leaving 82 to also be appended with Jackson Hts). Regardless, the (7) train station should have SOME sort of similarity to it's Queens Blvd counterpart. Maybe naming the QB part "Roosevelt Av-74 St", because the name Jackson Heights, while helpful, could be dropped if necessary as all of the LEDs and FINDS usually only show "Roosevelt Av" anyways.

Just my take.

Thank you very much for the update and very nice photos! Will each of the Rockaways stations, then, gradually lose their former dual names?

Personally, while I feel the dual names (Beach 44th Street-Frank Avenue, Beach 67th Street-Gaston Avenue, etc.) are historic, the single names (with neighborhoods) are more accurate.

Maybe it's time to consider this concept for Queens stations such as 88th Street-Boyd Avenue (A), 46th Street-Bliss Street (7), and even 85th Street-Forest Parkway, would you agree or disagree?

Beach 98th St is also changing it's name cuz Playland is long gone and Beach 105th is going to be also renamed. To what, idk.

Was

DSCF2673.jpg

Now

DSCF2674.jpg

Thank you very much for the update and very nice photos! Will each of the Rockaways stations, then, gradually lose their former dual names?

Personally, while I feel the dual names (Beach 44th Street-Frank Avenue, Beach 67th Street-Gaston Avenue, etc.) are historic, the single names (with neighborhoods) are more accurate.

The dual names are stayin. The stops on the Far Rock side all have at least ONE new station name sign. Guess what, they still have the old names except B67St. My stop is still Beach 44th St-Frank Ave (althought the actuall spelling of the new signs is "B 44 St-Frank Ave)

Guest lance25

What would you name the station? Borough Hall was dropped at Jay St because the station isn't close to the actual Brooklyn Borough Hall, unlike the IRT lines. Lawrence St was dropped from the BMT station since Jay Street (the actual road) is a relatively main road compared to Lawrence Street.

As the Broadway-Nassau St to Fulton St name change, that was done because for every other line that runs through, it's called Fulton St. It's less confusing to riders having the station under one name. It doesn't help when one part of the station is called something else.

What would you name the station? Borough Hall was dropped at Jay St because the station isn't close to the actual Brooklyn Borough Hall, unlike the IRT lines. Lawrence St was dropped from the BMT station since Jay Street (the actual road) is a relatively main road compared to Lawrence Street.

As the Broadway-Nassau St to Fulton St name change, that was done because for every other line that runs through, it's called Fulton St. It's less confusing to riders having the station under one name. It doesn't help when one part of the station is called something else.

Don't forget the Court St (R) station also is located at Brooklyn Borough Hall as well.:eek:

They love to change station names all the time now. I am not a fan of Jay Street-Metrotech as a station name.

On the renaming of the old 'Lawrence/Jay St.-Boro Hall' station to Jay Street-Metrotech' i actually agree with the (MTA) on it. As Lance said which is a good point, 'Brooklyn Borough Hall' is a few blocks away from Jay St.. The "Metrotech' center is the closest landmark to that station. So sorry

R68 gotta disagree with you on that one.

Archived