Mayor Bloomberg to announce $127 mil. in new program for troubled Black & Latino men

Via Garibaldi 8

Good thing you don't live in Queens. Rockaway to Brooklyn, tolls. Rockaway to Broad Channel and rest of Queens, toll. Queens to Bronx, tolls. Brooklyn to Rockaway Queens, tolls. And absolutely no free ferries anywhere between Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Manhattan.

But the thing is that 90% of the ferry riders are paying a fare at one end of the trip or the other. The Q44 doesn't have an extra fee to travel from Queens to The Bronx, so the ferry shouldn't have an extra fee to travel from Staten Island to Manhattan.

And need I remind you that the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges are all free? (By the way, I think I'll take you up on that offer. How much for a share of the Brooklyn Bridge? :( )

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your plan reeks of retardation.

So you would rather deadbeat mothers continue having children,thus producing MORE troubled young men that the government will waste resources on? To me that is what reeks of retardation (to put it nicely). I guess you don't care about the safety and stability of future generations and never will.

No child asks to be born to losers who are unable or unwilling to provide for him/her. So why should we continue to let it happen and worsen our crime and poverty epidemics as a result? Let our low income and high crime neighborhoods (the ones most of these troubled blacks and latinos come from) rot with the people currently there and once they depopulate, redevelop them demanding the same cost of living as areas like the Upper East Side, Willamsburg, Tribeca etc,.

And need I remind you that the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges are all free? (By the way, I think I'll take you up on that offer. How much for a share of the Brooklyn Bridge? :( )

I was always interested in shares of the tappan zee :).... knock out that bridge, rebuild it, then charge patrons an arm & a leg for it...

How would you like to live in rockland county, and have to commute through NJ just to get to NY during the process of reconstruction.....

[rick james]colllddd... bloooded...[/rick james]

So you would rather deadbeat mothers continue having children,thus producing MORE troubled young men that the government will waste resources on? To me that is what reeks of retardation (to put it nicely). I guess you don't care about the safety and stability of future generations and never will.

No child asks to be born to losers who are unable or unwilling to provide for him/her. So why should we continue to let it happen and worsen our crime and poverty epidemics as a result? Let our low income and high crime neighborhoods (the ones most of these troubled blacks and latinos come from) rot with the people currently there and once they depopulate, redevelop them demanding the same cost of living as areas like the Upper East Side, Willamsburg, Tribeca etc,.

you're livin in a fantasy land if you think that's gonna happen....

you don't just kill off a large part of a community (or let it die out, as you put it) & up & expect a new one to flourish just like that..... The idea of the american dream wouldn't exist if it were that simple to just weed out the undesirables & start over from scratch....

why would so many migrate to america if they could simply become prosperous in their own countries? we wouldn't have near as many immigrants (and illegals) in the US if that were the case.....

But the thing is that 90% of the ferry riders are paying a fare at one end of the trip or the other. The Q44 doesn't have an extra fee to travel from Queens to The Bronx, so the ferry shouldn't have an extra fee to travel from Staten Island to Manhattan.

I would argue for it just to keep the riff raff off of Staten Island, just like folks are pushing to have fares again on the SIR to keep the riff raff off of the trains and out of their neighborhoods. Those folks who can afford it can go move to the Bronx or whatever. Port Richmond could actually be like the old Port Richmond back in the old days instead of the run down POS that most of it is today. Aside from that the tourists should not benefit from a free ferry ride to see some of our most important landmarks. We have to be inconvienced with them then let them pay for it. That extra monies coming in could be used to give Staten Islanders more frequent service.

I would argue for it just to keep the riff raff off of Staten Island, just like folks are pushing to have fares again on the SIR to keep the riff raff off of the trains and out of their neighborhoods. Those folks who can afford it can go move to the Bronx or whatever. Port Richmond could actually be like the old Port Richmond back in the old days instead of the run down POS that most of it is today. Aside from that the tourists should not benefit from a free ferry ride to see some of our most important landmarks. We have to be inconvienced with them then let them pay for it. That extra monies coming in could be used to give Staten Islanders more frequent service.

Funny, I don't remember increased services on SI's routes back when the ferry was 50 cents.....

About keepin the riff raff out.... Problem is though, you have the riff raff IN staten island as well.... What are you gonna do, kick these people out & convert the borough to some type of utopia.....

....and good luck if you (and w/e other folks) honestly believe working class professionals (or whatever it is you deem the opposite of "riff raff") would start using the SIR in full force if fare collection (turnstiles) were to be placed on all the other stations outside of St. George... There's a much higher probability that it would result in lesser used trains & lesser used ferries.... which would result in less service....

Express bus will remain KING... and for good reason.

Funny, I don't remember increased services on SI's routes back when the ferry was 50 cents.....

I was referring to the ferry not bus service, but even so, the population wasn't nearly as big as it is today, so of course service wasn't that great back then.

About keepin the riff raff out.... Problem is though, you have the riff raff IN staten island as well.... What are you gonna do, kick these people out & convert the borough to some type of utopia.....

Well when they tore down some of those projects on the North Shore, some folks were placed in other boroughs with the promise of being allowed to come back, only to basically be priced out with "affordable housing" so yeah, if they tear down enough projects and build "affordable" housing those folks would be kicked out by way of not being able to afford the new rents and or mortgages depending on what is placed there and what new salary requirements are put in place. We have enough folks moving here with disposable income that we wouldn't miss them, believe me. :(

....and good luck if you honestly believe the working class (or whatever it is you deem the opposite of "riff raff") would start using the SIR in full force if fare collection (turnstiles) were to be placed on all the other stations outside of St. George...

Oh I know that. Staten Island will always be car centric and express bus centric for those who use public transportation. The SIR will remain somewhat relevant and then you have the local bus service. The thing is enough working class folks use the SIR throughout the borough and esp. on the South Shore and Mid-Island that the politicians will do something to keep out the riff raff from those areas. The reason for the whole wanting fares being put back on the SIR talk and request is because folks particularly in the Mid-island and on the South Shore have been b*tching about all of this raff coming into their neck of the woods and they want something done about it, so guys like James Oddo and Vicent Ignizio have been pushing to have fares put back on the SIR for this very reason, citing riff raff and safety as a concern. I don't live anywhere near the SIR so of course I don't have this problem, but still I would support it for overall good of the borough, as would a majority of Staten Islanders.

We have low crime and many good neighborhoods outside of the "pockets" and would like to keep it that way.

I was referring to the ferry not bus service, but even so, the population wasn't nearly as big as it is today, so of course service wasn't that great back then.

....and I have no reason to believe ferry service would be increased if fares were to be instantiated.... Even though you weren't talkin about bus service, that was the general point there.....

Oh I know that. Staten Island will always be car centric and express bus centric for those who use public transportation. The SIR will remain somewhat relevant and then you have the local bus service. The thing is enough working class folks use the SIR throughout the borough and esp. on the South Shore and Mid-Island that the politicians will do something to keep out the riff raff from those areas. The reason for the whole wanting fares being put back on the SIR talk and request is because folks particularly in the Mid-island and on the South Shore have been b*tching about all of this raff coming into their neck of the woods and they want something done about it, so guys like James Oddo and Vicent Ignizio have been pushing to have fares put back on the SIR for this very reason, citing riff raff and safety as a concern. I don't live anywhere near the SIR so of course I don't have this problem, but still I would support it for overall good of the borough, as would a majority of Staten Islanders.

We have low crime and many good neighborhoods outside of the "pockets" and would like to keep it that way.

Why do they have to be "pockets" though.... a bad neighborhood is a bad neighborhood.....

In any event, I hate to resort to a john q pine argument, but what is this I'm hearing about illegal day laborers startin to make their way out to the south shore there.... if that's infact true, then those folks bitching about putting fares on the SIR for that reason alone is soundin mighty hypocritical right now...... Come to think of it, 2 weeks ago when I took the x22 out to page/hylan, I did see some day laborers over there around SIR pleasant plains over there by that shopping plaza....

you folks down there don't want what's happenin out there in long island now with that....

....and I have no reason to believe ferry service would be increased if fares were to be instantiated.... Even though you weren't talkin about bus service, that was the general point there.....

To be clear the frequencies I'm referring to are really on the weekends where service is once an hour, so say after 20:00 at night boats run only once an hour, you could have increased frequencies of every 30 minutes. In fact this has been talked about for years because of the growing population on Staten Island, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon, with or without fares being instated.

I hate to resort to a john q pine argument, but what is this I'm hearing about illegal day laborers startin to make their way out to the south shore there.... if that's infact true, then those folks bitching about putting fares on the SIR for that reason is soundin mighty hypocritical right now...... Come to think of it, 2 weeks ago when I took the x22 out to page/hylan, I did see some day laborers over there around SIR pleasant plains over there by that shopping plaza....

you folks down there don't want what's happenin out there in long island now with that....

Well truth be told, I don't see nearly as many day laborers as I used to over there on Port Richmond Avenue. In fact there are very few of them now waiting as I pass by on the X30. There were probably too many of them and not enough jobs, so some of them spread out to the South Shore or went back to their respective countries. However, when it comes to lawn mowing on Staten Island, the Mexicans are the kings. All of the landscaping trucks have Italian names on them with Mexicans driving them or an Italian who oversees all of the Mexican workers. LOL

The house that I live in, I know a Latino mows the lawn, but I've never got a look at him since he comes early in the morning on the weekends, so I don't know if he's Mexican or what he is. In my neighborhood though, many of my neighbors mow their own lawns themselves and when it snows or whatever, I shovel the sidewalk myself and then a next door neighbor will come and take the snow blower that we have and use it to clear the rest of what is left and then do their house as well.

I have a friend that lives in Tottenville who I've known for years since back in high school when we went to Sheepshead Bay H.S. I wonder if she has her boyfriend mow the law or if she hires some Mexicans to do it. Knowing her she would probably pay to have someone do it. I don't see how mowing a lawn. Too much of a prima donna. LOL

Excuse you, I am the product of a single mother who lived in Brownsville New York (and not the nice Brownsville that you see today, but the Brownsville that had its own scheduled shootouts) and you know what? I am a college graduate with TWO degrees. Not every child of a teenage mother ends up in jail and not every kid whos parents make more than 60k end up well rounded and a productive member of society (youre living proof of that and the fact that youd suggest such a god awful plan is proof of that).

Excuse you, I am the product of a single mother who lived in Brownsville New York (and not the nice Brownsville that you see today, but the Brownsville that had its own scheduled shootouts) and you know what? I am a college graduate with TWO degrees. Not every child of a teenage mother ends up in jail and not every kid whos parents make more than 60k end up well rounded and a productive member of society (youre living proof of that and the fact that youd suggest such a god awful plan is proof of that).

:tup:B):tup::):tup::):tup::):tup:

Tell 'em brother, testify!preach it! Amen!

Thank you to share that, and show some folks the real deal!

And need I remind you that the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges are all free? (By the way, I think I'll take you up on that offer. How much for a share of the Brooklyn Bridge? B) )

Since you made mention: Does the S53, S93, S79 charge extra to go to Brooklyn? How about the S89 to out of state New Jersey? Extra fare involved there? Didn't think so. 100% of the riders in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx will pay the fare (as long as they ain't fare beaters) And lastly everybody on the Q44, Q50 will pay to go between Queens and Bronx, no free ferry available. Additionally depending on where you live in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx you can end up paying a fare for bus, transfer to subway, exit in Manhattan and pay for another bus to get to destination.

As for Brooklyn , Manhattan, & Williamsburg Bridge yep free, and way out the way when going from Queens to the Bronx. Oh and the Staten Islanders & everyone else have the Verrazano Bridge free one way, but Staten Islanders have greatly reduced toll the other way. Yet Queens residents pay tolls intra borough. :eek:

;)Shares of Brooklyn Bridge are 100 a pop:)

No I'd rather not slap the single parents and grandparents in the face that took the time to raise kids, such as myself, despite having less than desirable and actually seeing their hard work rewarded(All of which who often fall under the group you wish to leave to rot). There are plenty of us who didn't have one, or both of their parents in the picture, grew up in low end neighborhoods and have risen above the low standards people set upon us simply because of where we're from. You're full of ignorance and its sad.

And the question is: How would you define "high-crime"? I might feel perfectly comfortable in Port Richmond (for example), and a child can lead a normal life in the area, but they'd be removed because it's high-crime.

I was always interested in shares of the tappan zee B).... knock out that bridge, rebuild it, then charge patrons an arm & a leg for it...

How would you like to live in rockland county, and have to commute through NJ just to get to NY during the process of reconstruction.....

[rick james]colllddd... bloooded...[/rick james]

LMAO. But it'd be alright because it's in the name of capitalism. :)

It wouldn't do anything about the riff-raff already living on SI, though. I don't think anybody willing to spend 30 minutes on a ferry that already runs infrequently is going to come here to cause trouble. And I don't think it would have any impact on areas like Port Richmond. The fare was eliminated in 1997, and if anything, Port Richmond's gotten better since then.

....and good luck if you (and w/e other folks) honestly believe working class professionals (or whatever it is you deem the opposite of "riff raff") would start using the SIR in full force if fare collection (turnstiles) were to be placed on all the other stations outside of St. George... There's a much higher probability that it would result in lesser used trains & lesser used ferries.... which would result in less service....

Express bus will remain KING... and for good reason.

Bold #1: Actually, I think service on some routes like the S66 was more than it is today, but you're right: Overall service was less than it is today (the North Shore routes in particular ran less frequently than they do today)

Bold #2: And that's exactly how he'd like it.

Well when they tore down some of those projects on the North Shore, some folks were placed in other boroughs with the promise of being allowed to come back, only to basically be priced out with "affordable housing" so yeah, if they tear down enough projects and build "affordable" housing those folks would be kicked out by way of not being able to afford the new rents and or mortgages depending on what is placed there and what new salary requirements are put in place. We have enough folks moving here with disposable income that we wouldn't miss them, believe me. :)

Bold #1: An area can't function if there aren't any low-skilled workers working those low-wage jobs that nobody else wants to do.

Bold #2: There are plenty of people who ride routes like the S44 and S59 from the "bad" parts of Staten Island, so it's possible for the riff-raff to get further south. Don't forget that the schools' zones are often set up to take in children from far away. For example, children in Arlington are zoned for I.S.72 in New Springville, and I'm sure plenty of them cause trouble before going back home.

In any event, I hate to resort to a john q pine argument, but what is this I'm hearing about illegal day laborers startin to make their way out to the south shore there.... if that's infact true, then those folks bitching about putting fares on the SIR for that reason alone is soundin mighty hypocritical right now...... Come to think of it, 2 weeks ago when I took the x22 out to page/hylan, I did see some day laborers over there around SIR pleasant plains over there by that shopping plaza....

I'm not seeing what you're saying. You mean that the riff-raff would've already gotten into their neighborhoods? Or the "day laborers" would have a harder time getting down to the South Shore?

I think they grossly exaggerate the illegal situation. On city-data, there was somebody who was making a big deal that her neighborhood was 11.3% Hispanic (and of course, in a lot of their minds, Hispanic=illegal). Even if the Hispanic population were double that (22%), it still wouldn't be considered an "illegal-filled" area.

To be clear the frequencies I'm referring to are really on the weekends where service is once an hour, so say after 20:00 at night boats run only once an hour, you could have increased frequencies of every 30 minutes. In fact this has been talked about for years because of the growing population on Staten Island, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon, with or without fares being instated.

Well truth be told, I don't see nearly as many day laborers as I used to over there on Port Richmond Avenue. In fact there are very few of them now waiting as I pass by on the X30. There were probably too many of them and not enough jobs, so some of them spread out to the South Shore or went back to their respective countries. However, when it comes to lawn mowing on Staten Island, the Mexicans are the kings. All of the landscaping trucks have Italian names on them with Mexicans driving them or an Italian who oversees all of the Mexican workers. LOL

The house that I live in, I know a Latino mows the lawn, but I've never got a look at him since he comes early in the morning on the weekends, so I don't know if he's Mexican or what he is. In my neighborhood though, many of my neighbors mow their own lawns themselves and when it snows or whatever, I shovel the sidewalk myself and then a next door neighbor will come and take the snow blower that we have and use it to clear the rest of what is left and then do their house as well.

I have a friend that lives in Tottenville who I've known for years since back in high school when we went to Sheepshead Bay H.S. I wonder if she has her boyfriend mow the law or if she hires some Mexicans to do it. Knowing her she would probably pay to have someone do it. I don't see how mowing a lawn. Too much of a prima donna. LOL

I don't know if this means anything, but during rush hour, you see a lot of Hispanics going southbound in the AM and northbound in the PM (on the S59), so it might mean that some of them are finding people to work for in the South Shore (I mean, they do look like they're doing "day labor-type jobs")

During the winter, I occasionally see some Hispanics (besides myself. :) )walking around looking to shovel people out, but I don't think they're coming from Port Richmond or anything: I think they just live near here. The Hispanic population in my area has grown 33% since 2000.

Since you made mention: Does the S53, S93, S79 charge extra to go to Brooklyn? How about the S89 to out of state New Jersey? Extra fare involved there? Didn't think so. 100% of the riders in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx will pay the fare (as long as they ain't fare beaters) And lastly everybody on the Q44, Q50 will pay to go between Queens and Bronx, no free ferry available. Additionally depending on where you live in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx you can end up paying a fare for bus, transfer to subway, exit in Manhattan and pay for another bus to get to destination.

As for Brooklyn , Manhattan, & Williamsburg Bridge yep free, and way out the way when going from Queens to the Bronx. Oh and the Staten Islanders & everyone else have the Verrazano Bridge free one way, but Staten Islanders have greatly reduced toll the other way. Yet Queens residents pay tolls intra borough. :eek:

;)Shares of Brooklyn Bridge are 100 a pop:)

I don't see what point you're trying to make with that. Everybody else pays to travel between boroughs, and for the most part, so do we.

By the way, I'll get a broker to buy those shares. ;)

I'm not seeing what you're saying. You mean that the riff-raff would've already gotten into their neighborhoods? Or the "day laborers" would have a harder time getting down to the South Shore?

I think they grossly exaggerate the illegal situation. On city-data, there was somebody who was making a big deal that her neighborhood was 11.3% Hispanic (and of course, in a lot of their minds, Hispanic=illegal). Even if the Hispanic population were double that (22%), it still wouldn't be considered an "illegal-filled" area.

I'm sayin its hypocritical for those residents Via mentioned, that are makin a push for fare collection on all the other SIR stations, for the sake of keeping the "riff raff" out.... when a select group (day laborers) of those type of people ("riff raff", collectively) they're tryna keep out of their neighborhoods, are already there... either loitering around wherever they do lookin for work, or the ones that are already "employed" trimming someone's hedges or mowing someone's stinkin lawn......

part in bold, answers your question....

far as the 2nd option, aint no resident in their right mind would push for (or even care) about how these guys get to the "work site".... Can you imagine a Tottenville resident (for example) saying:

"Well I think they should increase service on the S78 route, yeah, and the train there... so that my workers (they won't dare say day laborers or illegals, for fear of ridicule & embarrassment) can get here on time.... yeah, and for the rest of the island too, that would be nice"

LOL !!

On a side note, where are the real "pickup spots" where day laborers look for work? I know in the general area around Forest Avenue/Port Richmond Avenue, there are a lot, but I can't think of any other areas where they really congregate. Port Richmond isn't the only area on SI with a lot of Hispanics (to be honest, they're the only group you really see standing around looking for work)

Excuse you, I am the product of a single mother who lived in Brownsville New York (and not the nice Brownsville that you see today, but the Brownsville that had its own scheduled shootouts) and you know what? I am a college graduate with TWO degrees. Not every child of a teenage mother ends up in jail and not every kid whos parents make more than 60k end up well rounded and a productive member of society (you're living proof of that and the fact that you'd suggest such a god awful plan is proof of that).

Some people are insensitive to the fact that not all "troubled" kids choose to continue living the same lifestyle their parents did before them.

Some of them actually do try to make a better life for themselves and put in the effort, why remain a statistic?

I have a friend who I've known since the second grade, she and her younger sister were born to a mother who wasn't quite fit to be raising children (they were taken away and raised by another relative) and were born to two different fathers (Who obviously didn't stick around). These days she goes to school part-time and works a full-time job as a receptionist in College Point. If you at least try, you will most likely succeed in life

On a side note, where are the real "pickup spots" where day laborers look for work? I know in the general area around Forest Avenue/Port Richmond Avenue, there are a lot, but I can't think of any other areas where they really congregate. Port Richmond isn't the only area on SI with a lot of Hispanics (to be honest, they're the only group you really see standing around looking for work)

I don't know the spots, per say, down in the south shore... I just mentioned that one instance where I saw some over there by amboy plaza.... Now that you ask that question, I think back..... I also saw some mexicans walkin about, along amboy road on about a handful of other occasions riding the x22 last year (and the year before)....

It wouldn't do anything about the riff-raff already living on SI, though. I don't think anybody willing to spend 30 minutes on a ferry that already runs infrequently is going to come here to cause trouble. And I don't think it would have any impact on areas like Port Richmond. The fare was eliminated in 1997, and if anything, Port Richmond's gotten better since then.

The argument residents on the South Shore use is that the SIR was much safer when the fare was collected. The riff raff they're referring to is coming from the North Shore, mainly areas like Stapleton that are close to the SIR where folks from the projects will hop on looking for easy pickings so to speak.

The fact that there is no fare for most of the SIR stops and no fare collectors at all makes it very easy for one to get on the train and also encourages crime since there is no sort of law enforcement anywhere. That's what folks like Oddo and Ignizio argue and I agree. When you can basically travel to more affluent areas on the South Shore for free and go around those areas looking to rob people or whatever or rob them on the train which has also happened (a middle aged white male was shot a few years back over by the Grasmere station when he was approached in a robbery attempt), it doesn't get any easier than that and that's what is happening. You have to realize that the wealth gap between those areas like Stapleton there where the projects are and areas of the South Shore is considerable and even folks in more affluent parts of the North Shore don't go over there. Hell I have never set foot in Stapleton and never will. Now Stapleton Heights is a different story. Very ritzy charming houses steeped in history and such.

The day laborers are scorned and most of the conservative folks want them to be deported, but for the most part they don't cause any problems. If anything maybe they get drunk but they stay in Port Richmond with that. Truth be told if there are no jobs then they'll be no need to deport them because they'll just leave, as has been evident by their decreasing numbers there on Forest and Port Richmond Ave.

You know I had actually forgotten about that spot because there is basically nobody standing over there now when I pass by on the X30 in the mornings, although you see a few of them walking, but compared to just a few years ago it's like night and day. There used to be hoards of them waiting and when a pick up style truck would roll up, a whole bunch of them would go running. It was like something out of a movie, similar to that movie I saw this year called "A Better Life".

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, Stapleton Heights/Stapleton Hill is basically over where Victory Blvd is by Silver Lake. If you take Victory Blvd past Forest Avenue and make a right at the next available street and drive in and around there that part is Stapleton Heights. Many of the houses are up on hills and it borders the affluent area of Grymes Hill. Along Victory Blvd going towards Clove Rd is where you have a lot of condos and co-ops and such there as well near the golf course. :cool:

The argument residents on the South Shore use is that the SIR was much safer when the fare was collected. The riff raff they're referring to is coming from the North Shore, mainly areas like Stapleton that are close to the SIR where folks from the projects will hop on looking for easy pickings so to speak.

The fact that there is no fare for most of the SIR stops and no fare collectors at all makes it very easy for one to get on the train and also encourages crime since there is no sort of law enforcement anywhere. That's what folks like Oddo and Ignizio argue and I agree. When you can basically travel to more affluent areas on the South Shore for free and go around those areas looking to rob people or whatever or rob them on the train which has also happened (a middle aged white male was shot a few years back over by the Grasmere station when he was approached in a robbery attempt), it doesn't get any easier than that and that's what is happening.

The day laborers are scorned and most of the conservative folks want them to be deported, but for the most part they don't cause any problems. If anything maybe they get drunk but they stay in Port Richmond with that. Truth be told if there are no jobs then they'll be no need to deport them because they'll just leave, as has been evident by their decreasing numbers there on Forest and Port Richmond Ave.

You know I had actually forgotten about that spot because there is basically nobody standing over there now when I pass by on the X30 in the mornings, although you see a few of them walking, but compared to just a few years ago it's like night and day. There used to be hoards of them waiting and when a pick up style truck would roll up, a whole bunch of them would go running. It was like something out of a movie, similar to that movie I saw this year called "A Better Life".

I'm not tryna be funny here (this is actually a good thing for SI-ers), but I think w/e amount of day laborers you & checkmate are referring to that were in port richmond that have decreased, moved onto other "opportunities"..... namely out in the richer areas of LI (where the amount of "work" is neverending), and parts of NJ where it's a lot more grassier....

I'm not tryna be funny here (this is actually a good thing for SI-ers), but I think w/e amount of day laborers you & checkmate are referring to that were in port richmond that have decreased, moved onto other "opportunities"..... namely out in the richer areas of LI (where the amount of "work" is neverending), and parts of NJ where it's a lot more grassier....

No, there is definitely some truth to what you are saying. When I went to the Oheka Castle a few years back out in Huntington for a networking dinner, I was talking to the cab driver who was driving me back to the LIRR station and he was mentioning the increase in Latinos in general. I also visited a hospital out by Mineola and the increase in certain ethnic groups was one of the things we discussed since they have a need now for certain languages like Russian, so certain groups are moving out there more now and the day laborers are one of them for sure. However, some of them have indeed went back to the their respective countries because there is simply just not enough work.

I don't know the spots, per say, down in the south shore... I just mentioned that one instance where I saw some over there by amboy plaza.... Now that you ask that question, I think back..... I also saw some mexicans walkin about, along amboy road on about a handful of other occasions riding the x22 last year (and the year before)....

I was thinking more on the North Shore. There are a lot of Hispanics in West Brighton, Port Richmond, Elm Park, and Mariners' Harbor, and also in Stapleton, but the only "pickup" spot that I know of is at the southern part of Port Richmond. I would think that there would be other spots near Stapleton and other parts of the North Shore.

The fact that there is no fare for most of the SIR stops and no fare collectors at all makes it very easy for one to get on the train and also encourages crime since there is no sort of law enforcement anywhere. That's what folks like Oddo and Ignizio argue and I agree. When you can basically travel to more affluent areas on the South Shore for free and go around those areas looking to rob people or whatever or rob them on the train which has also happened (a middle aged white male was shot a few years back over by the Grasmere station when he was approached in a robbery attempt), it doesn't get any easier than that and that's what is happening. You have to realize that the wealth gap between those areas like Stapleton there where the projects are and areas of the South Shore is considerable and even folks in more affluent parts of the North Shore don't go over there. Hell I have never set foot in Stapleton and never will. Now Stapleton Heights is a different story. Very ritzy charming houses steeped in history and such.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, Stapleton Heights/Stapleton Hill is basically over where Victory Blvd is by Silver Lake. If you take Victory Blvd past Forest Avenue and make a right at the next available street and drive in and around there that part is Stapleton Heights. Many of the houses are up on hills and it borders the affluent area of Grymes Hill. Along Victory Blvd going towards Clove Rd is where you have a lot of condos and co-ops and such there as well near the golf course. :cool:

I remember reading something that said that Staten Island was the second most homogenous borough (economically), after Queens, so the income gap isn't quite as large as people make it out to be.

But I don't think they really travel that far down the line. Most of the incidents you hear about are in areas like Grasmere, Old Town, and Dongan Hills, and for all you know, the people causing the problems could be living in the projects near those stations.

Stapleton Heights is another name for Ward Hill. It's pretty much the area around Cebra Avenue (on the S52 route) once you go up the hill from Victory Blvd.

As far as the day laborers go, there is a chance they could be going down to the South Shore for work. Like I said, I've seen plenty of them on the S59 coming from Eltingville (Damn. I'm starting to sound like a certain Long Islander on these boards, minus the rants about deportation and the problems they supposedly cause)

I don't really see how it's good for Staten Islanders, considering the fact that they don't really bother anybody. I've walked by that park by Forest Avenue/Willow Road East plenty of times, and none of them have ever bothered me.

I don't really see how it's good for Staten Islanders, considering the fact that they don't really bother anybody. I've walked by that park by Forest Avenue/Willow Road East plenty of times, and none of them have ever bothered me.

The idea is that there would perhaps be either more work available although they would be low wage jobs or maybe more tax revenue since most of them work off of the books, particularly the illegal ones.

I remember reading something that said that Staten Island was the second most homogenous borough (economically), after Queens, so the income gap isn't quite as large as people make it out to be.

Oh please... There is no way in hell that those project folks in Stapleton earn anywhere near what folks in the upscale part of West Brighton earn or say Castleton Corners. Not even close. For starters, most of the houses on Staten Island have at least two incomes since it is mainly families living in the houses, so that right there would a huge difference from the single family project folks in most cases. The reason for our high median income on Staten Island is from the working professional folks (doctors, lawyers and other professionals). If anything the project folks bring down our median income.

But I don't think they really travel that far down the line. Most of the incidents you hear about are in areas like Grasmere, Old Town, and Dongan Hills, and for all you know, the people causing the problems could be living in the projects near those stations.

If that wasn't the case then they wouldn't be complaining about it, but either way it's happening and it needs to be stopped. That guy that was shot at the Grasmere train station, the perp was from Stapleton if I recall correctly.

Stapleton Heights is another name for Ward Hill. It's pretty much the area around Cebra Avenue (on the S52 route) once you go up the hill from Victory Blvd.

Yes, that's another way of putting it.

The idea is that there would perhaps be either more work available although they would be low wage jobs or maybe more tax revenue since most of them work off of the books, particularly the illegal ones.

Oh please... There is no way in hell that those project folks in Stapleton earn anywhere near what folks in the upscale part of West Brighton earn or say Castleton Corners. Not even close. For starters, most of the houses on Staten Island have at least two incomes since it is mainly families living in the houses, so that right there would a huge difference from the single family project folks in most cases. The reason for our high median income on Staten Island is from the working professional folks (doctors, lawyers and other professionals). If anything the project folks bring down our median income.

If that wasn't the case then they wouldn't be complaining about it, but either way it's happening and it needs to be stopped. That guy that was shot at the Grasmere train station, the perp was from Stapleton if I recall correctly.

Bold #1: I doubt it. Maybe jobs like McDonald's you might get some openings, but there are plenty of opportunities to earn some extra bucks that people just don't want to take advantage of. How come everybody I see mowing a lawn (from a company anyway) is Hispanic? I hardly see any young White people mowing lawns. The same thing with shoveling snow.

Bold #2: I'm just saying the gap is much smaller than in the other boroughs. You're not talking about a bunch of people living in luxury buildings on the UES, and then a mile down, you have people living in the projects of East Harlem. You're talking about a smaller population in the projects and a smaller population that's actually "raking it in".

And obviously people from the projects bring down the median income of whereever they live. I would think that would be obvious considering that one of the requirements to get in is that you are low-income.

Bold #3: But Grasmere isn't that far from the "bad" parts of SI, if you think about it. You can walk up Clove Road, make a right of Targee Street, walk up a few blocks and before you know it, you're in Park Hill. You don't hear about this type of stuff happening in, say Princes Bay or Tottenville or anything like that, or at least not as frequently.

In any case, it's still possible for the people to come from the projects in Dongan Hills or South Beach. Sure, they are some of the safest projects in the city, and the most well-scrutinized, but I'm sure there are some bad apples in there.

Not to mention that there are people who get shot in personal disputes. I remember earlier this year, somebody was shot at the Huguenot station, and it was by somebody else from the South Shore. And I'm sure there are wannabe thugs from the South Shore involved in these muggings as well.

Archived