Mayor Bloomberg to announce $127 mil. in new program for troubled Black & Latino men

Via Garibaldi 8

I'd be less annoyed with it if it wasn't touted for specific racial groups. Besides, everyone knows that in almost all of Brooklyn, Blacks and Latinos are the majority, but a wide margin.

I'm subject to reverse-racism all the time being a white legal immigrant male. Programs to "help" people don't exist for "my group" but they do for "their's."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be less annoyed with it if it wasn't touted for specific racial groups. Besides, everyone knows that in almost all of Brooklyn, Blacks and Latinos are the majority, but a wide margin.

I'm subject to reverse-racism all the time being a white legal immigrant male. Programs to "help" people don't exist for "my group" but they do for "their's."

I don't know about you but I just got a major craving for some apples & oranges. I need to do something about that.

Do you people just not, y'know, read?

It's a job-recruitment center in poor districts / projects --> not affirmative action, and a great thing

It's retraining probations officers --> not a.a., and good for everybody

It's fatherhood classes --> not a.a., and a bit pushy if you ask me, but well-intentioned

It's reanalyzing how our schools treat minorities --> not a.a., and very important

I don't think this is the best way Bloomberg could have approached these issues, but I think it's a good thing, and I like that he and Soros are splitting half of the tab. To call it affirmative action is just ignorant, and to say it would be an uproar if it were for white people -- that's ignorant too, because the white community has put itself in a place where it doesn't need this kind of help, generally at the expense of minorities. You can ignore history all you want, but while this program is imperfect, to call it simply affirmative action is truly ignorant.

To be fair, the vast majority of the people in the projects are either Black or Latino. White people make up like 5% of the people living in the projects citywide (in a few, it's around 20-30%, but overall, Whites make up a miniscule percentage of project residents)

Yes, $60 million is about half of $127 million. I can see from your math skills you figured out the other part is $67 million.

This is what taxes are FOR. Making the city a better place for the whole community. Whether or not this is a perfect program or not is debatable, but city funds are allocated to improve the city.

And Jesus, are you really that single-minded? You don't need cops when there's less crime, and there's less crime when you go to the root of the problem, which is the fact blacks and Latinos start off, in general, in a worse place than white people in New York City. That's why the black and Latino crime rate is higher. It's not like anybody's a better race; say you suddenly threw all the Russians in the ghetto, and you're looking at a spike in Russian crime rates. So if you aim for the ghetto, and fix up the hood, you end up fixing up some of the crime, and in turn needing less cops.

I don't this program is perfect, but it isn't affirmative action and it is what taxes should be used for (not to mention $67 million is relatively small in the scheme of things).

But he's saying that the money could've been used for other things that would've helped the city more. You have fire houses, libraries, and other programs (many of which also benefit poor minorities) on the chopping block and they're using this for another program (not to mention, agencies like SYEP also lost a lot of funding).

I'm not saying it's "pie in the sky" like Via Garibaldi is, but I think that there are better uses at this time.

Actually, Brooklyn's demographics are about 36% White, 32% Black, and 20% Hispanic, so it's not the huge margin that you're making it out to be.

So Bloomberg and Soros want to teach young black and latinos males how to be men? Maybe we can start by publicly ordering the NYPD to stop harassing and shooting them? How about funding real jobs that pay, not McDs? Or better yet, how about we start giving their moms and dads real paying jobs so that they can raise their children instead of having to work 14+ hours and rely on childcare to raise their kids. Oh I forgot, Bloomberg and Soros want the public's "oh shucks Mike is such a good guy" BS to make up for ten years of oppressing blue collar Nyers. There is more to this, lets see what King Mike does next.

Get real Bloomberg.

I don't believe that, but w/e.... you'd probably say somthing like 'good for them', or something to that effect.... and I most certainly believe you wouldn't have made a thread out of it.... that's how outraged you were.... and don't tell me you started this thread b/c you wanted to inform ppl of this program.....

Oh, I believe you when you say you feel it's ridiculous - especially when you keep telling on yourself with the little innuendos you make in regards to this program so far.... "pie in the sky" program, a program to "fix me"... I mean, these are your words....

One instance it's about the 67 million, and in the next, you bring up fairness... Don't tell me you'd say the same thing about it being ridiculous if it were any other group this was curtailed to, when you blatantly say It should be for everyone..... If something is so ridiculous, it should be for NO ONE.....

If it's anyone for any reason that'll paint you as anything after reading this thread, it's your own fault.

Yes, it's about both the 67 million and fairness. We're in a recession and he's going to come out and take taxpayer money and use it for one specific group when ALL NEWYORKERS, whatever their color is are hurting?? It should be for anyone so long as taxpayers aren't paying for it. And yes, it's a "pie in the sky" program because this program doesn't go to the root of the problem which you & I know is the deal here, but you're going to ignore that and give me the race card cop out. I don't have a problem with programs being provided for the "brothas" as you would say or anyone else for that matter, but make sure this money is used properly. The ethnicity of the people is not important. It's getting to the root of the problem in addition to the money that is needed and it should not be taxpayer money either.

Yes, $60 million is about half of $127 million. I can see from your math skills you figured out the other part is $67 million.

This is what taxes are FOR. Making the city a better place for the whole community. Whether or not this is a perfect program or not is debatable, but city funds are allocated to improve the city.

And Jesus, are you really that single-minded? You don't need cops when there's less crime, and there's less crime when you go to the root of the problem, which is the fact blacks and Latinos start off, in general, in a worse place than white people in New York City. That's why the black and Latino crime rate is higher. It's not like anybody's a better race; say you suddenly threw all the Russians in the ghetto, and you're looking at a spike in Russian crime rates. So if you aim for the ghetto, and fix up the hood, you end up fixing up some of the crime, and in turn needing less cops. Bloomberg wants to improve the lives of Black and Latino men huh?

Well what about all of the unemployed people, black, white, brown, yellow, etc.? He doesn't think that they want improved lives??? This guy needs to get his priorities straight.

Oh and for your information, yes, crime is down overall, but rapes and robberies are steadily on the rise as we have fewer and fewer cops on the beat and we've got 67 million for this. 60 million dollars of PRIVATE money would've been just fine if they want to help these people, but this is insanity.

I don't this program is perfect, but it isn't affirmative action and it is what taxes should be used for (not to mention $67 million is relatively small in the scheme of things).

Yeah, you clearly want to overlook that the city is supposedly in a fiscal crisis, but they've suddenly got 67 million dollars to spend, BUT you've got thousands of New Yorkers that are out of work???? Are you kidding me?? If I was unemployed I would be outraged that the city was crying broke just a few months ago and now they suddenly found 67 million dollars of TAXPAYER money for a pilot program. Give me a break. This is the biggest slap in the face to the taxpayer that I've ever seen.

Oh it should be for anyone so long as taxpayers aren't paying for it. And yes, it's a "pie in the sky" program because this program doesn't go to the root of the problem which you & I know is the deal here, but you're going to ignore that and give me the race card cop out. I don't have a problem with programs being provided for the "brothas" as you would say or anyone else for that matter, but make sure this money is used properly. The ethnicity of the people is not important. It's getting to the root of the problem in addition to the money that is needed and it should not be taxpayer money either

Used "properly" according to who... You ?

This aint about gettin to the root of the problem with these troubled minorities; no one program of any sort is gonna be the cure to the revolving door that is our prison system here in america.... I love how you're comin up with every thing in the book to try to justify your position here btw.... The root of the problem is gonna take a HELL of a lot more than 127 million dollars to fix......

I'm ignoring that facet of it in this discussion not b/c of a "race card copout" as you say - but b/c you & I both know you could give a damn about resolving any problems us "brothas" got, so don't give me that BS now....

If it was just about the 67 million in taxpayer dollars, that's one thing....

If it's about the fact that it caters to minorities, that's another thing...

If it's about fixing broken communities, that's yet another thing....

So what excuse or retort are you gonna throw at me this time, Via?

Used "properly" according to who... You ?

This aint about gettin to the root of the problem with these troubled minorities; no one program of any sort is gonna be the cure to the revolving door that is our prison system here in america.... I love how you're comin up with every thing in the book to try to justify your position here btw.... The root of the problem is gonna take a HELL of a lot more than 127 million dollars to fix......

I'm ignoring that facet of it in this discussion not b/c of a "race card copout" as you say - but b/c you & I both know you could give a damn about resolving any problems us "brothas" got, so don't give me that BS now....

If it was just about the 67 million in taxpayer dollars, that's one thing....

If it's about the fact that it caters to minorities, that's another thing...

If it's about fixing broken communities, that's yet another thing....

So what excuse or retort are you gonna throw at me this time, Via?

Well I'd like to know what he plans on saying to the thousands of unemployed people about throwing 67 million dollars on a pilot program while thousands of New Yorkers of all colors are unemployed? You're going to tell me that if you were unemployed that you would give a damn about some poor guy who has had a troubled life while you've been busting your @ss working hard and had a bad break like millions of folks in this country who are out of work? I highly doubt that. That's my point.

There isn't ONE reason why this program is wrong but several and the main one is spending millions of taxpayer dollars on a pilot program and doing nothing to create jobs. You've been pressing me to say it so here it is. I personally could give a rats' @ss about the average thug on the street regardless of their race or whatever. As a working professional, we should be doing everything possible to get working folks back into decent, well paying jobs, not wasting monies on failures of society who drain our taxes behind bars and cause havoc on our streets.

Do I believe in second chances? Sure, why not. Do I believe in redemption and rehabilitation? Sure, why not. But after everything that the taxpayer has spent on these thugs, the idea of throwing more money their way and leaving the middle class and upper middle class folks destitute truly does sicken me, so much so that I think I'm going to personally write the mayor and let him know about it.

I think he has a lot of nerve to sit there and claim just a few months ago that the city was BROKE and was threatening to close firehouses putting thousands of New Yorkers' lives in danger and now suddenly they found $67 million dollars laying around. Yeah right. ;) When are these politicians going to learn that the working professionals are the ones that should always receive priority? We're the ones paying the taxes and we're the ones always shafted and neglected.

If he wants to save these thugs, more power to him, but to expect the hard working taxpayer to dish out monies for this is just outrageous and completely ludicrous.

Do you people just not, y'know, read?

It's a job-recruitment center in poor districts / projects --> not affirmative action, and a great thing

It's retraining probations officers --> not a.a., and good for everybody

It's fatherhood classes --> not a.a., and a bit pushy if you ask me, but well-intentioned

It's reanalyzing how our schools treat minorities --> not a.a., and very important

I don't think this is the best way Bloomberg could have approached these issues, but I think it's a good thing, and I like that he and Soros are splitting half of the tab. To call it affirmative action is just ignorant, and to say it would be an uproar if it were for white people -- that's ignorant too, because the white community has put itself in a place where it doesn't need this kind of help, generally at the expense of minorities. You can ignore history all you want, but while this program is imperfect, to call it simply affirmative action is truly ignorant.

Their is a surplus of ignorance on this board. Sometimes you just have to ignore it! You can't always fix stupid!

This is not affirmative action by any means. Giving fathers parenting classes and urging people to get driver licenses? Not affirmative action. Retraining probabtion officers? That will be beneficial to all of the people being overseen by the probabtion officer.

The idea of linking literacy classes to a paying job isn't the same thing as saying that all public high school will give preferential treatment to minorities or anything like that. THere are already programs like this one that are available to poor new yorkers of all races, this is simply one that focuses on Blacks and Latinos.

They saw the words "black" and "latino" and Affirmative Action is the first thing that came to mind! How pathetic!

Plenty of programs exist for "your group." It's no one's fault except yours if you don't know they exist. Hell, you know everything else!

Well I'd like to know what he plans on saying to the thousands of unemployed people about throwing 67 million dollars on a pilot program while thousands of New Yorkers of all colors are unemployed? You're going to tell me that if you were unemployed that you would give a damn about some poor guy who has had a troubled life while you've been busting your @ss working hard and had a bad break like millions of folks in this country who are out of work? I highly doubt that. That's my point.

There isn't ONE reason why this program is wrong but several and the main one is spending millions of taxpayer dollars on a pilot program and doing nothing to create jobs. You've been pressing me to say it so here it is. I personally could give a rats' @ss about the average thug on the street regardless of their race or whatever. As a working professional, we should be doing everything possible to get working folks back into decent, well paying jobs, not wasting monies on failures of society who drain our taxes behind bars and cause havoc on our streets.

Do I believe in second chances? Sure, why not. Do I believe in redemption and rehabilitation? Sure, why not. But after everything that the taxpayer has spent on these thugs, the idea of throwing more money their way and leaving the middle class and upper middle class folks destitute truly does sicken me, so much so that I think I'm going to personally write the mayor and let him know about it.

I think he has a lot of nerve to sit there and claim just a few months ago that the city was BROKE and was threatening to close firehouses putting thousands of New Yorkers' lives in danger and now suddenly they found $67 million dollars laying around. Yeah right. ;)When are these politicians going to learn that the working professionals are the ones that should always receive priority? We're the ones paying the taxes and we're the ones always shafted and neglected.

If he wants to save these thugs, more power to him, but to expect the hard working taxpayer to dish out monies for this is just outrageous and completely ludicrous.

Get over yourself, sit down somewhere, and just STFU!!!! Otherwise go do something about it!

I love how "troubled" black and Latino youth turned into thugs! You are a real piece of work!

Then you have the nerve and audacity to post what I just bolded above? When will they learn?? As long as people like you advocate for not taxing the rich, they are going to continue to not give a shit about your "working professional" ass!

I think he has a lot of nerve to sit there and claim just a few months ago that the city was BROKE and was threatening to close firehouses putting thousands of New Yorkers' lives in danger and now suddenly they found $67 million dollars laying around. Yeah right. ;) When are these politicians going to learn that the working professionals are the ones that should always receive priority? We're the ones paying the taxes and we're the ones always shafted and neglected.

lmao... I wasn't tryna pressure you to say a damn thing, you a 29 year old man, say what the hell you want.... furthermore, your little confession is not news to me, nor would it be to anyone else that's come to notice your commentary when it comes to politics & finances...

If I were unemployed, what the f..... Please don't resort to a FG argument..... Me resorting to bit**ing about 67 million dollars in taxpayer money goin to attempt to aid & assist folks that's worse off than I am, aint goin get my black a** back in the workforce..... I can't allocate to what specific function/program where & how uncah sam uses "my" taxpayer dollars.....

that's like these deadbeat dads bitching about not payin child support b/c they don't want babymamma spending it on weave, tatts, gucci this, prada that, etc etc.... Much as it might be unjust, or flat out wrong, we don't have that power to separate what "should" go where.....

So again, my answer to the scenario you pose is.... I wouldn't be pissed at folk that would benefit from this program, nor would I be pissed at Bloomberg... That's money I have ZERO control over where it goes.... The mindstate with which you convey with that question/statement, wouldn't be on my mind....

lmao... I wasn't tryna pressure you to say a damn thing, you a 29 year old man, say what the hell you want.... furthermore, your little confession is not news to me, nor would it be to anyone else that's come to notice your commentary when it comes to politics & finances...

If I were unemployed, what the f..... Please don't resort to a FG argument..... Me resorting to bit**ing about 67 million dollars in taxpayer money goin to attempt to aid & assist folks that's worse off than I am, aint goin get my black a** back in the workforce..... I can't allocate to what specific function/program where & how uncah sam uses "my" taxpayer dollars.....

that's like these deadbeat dads bitching about not payin child support b/c they don't want babymamma spending it on weave, tatts, gucci this, prada that, etc etc.... Much as it might be unjust, or flat out wrong, we don't have that power to separate what "should" go where.....

So again, my answer to the scenario you pose is.... I wouldn't be pissed at folk that would benefit from this program, nor would I be pissed at Bloomberg... That's money I have ZERO control over where it goes.... The mindstate with which you convey with that question/statement, wouldn't be on my mind....

Yeah, I like that argument.... "Would" help... Very questionable that $67 million over 3 years won't be squandered. The problem is too few vocal folks holding these politicians accountable for their reckless spending.

Get over yourself, sit down somewhere, and just STFU!!!! Otherwise go do something about it!

I love how "troubled" black and Latino youth turned into thugs! You are a real piece of work!

Then you have the nerve and audacity to post what I just bolded above? When will they learn?? As long as people like you advocate for not taxing the rich, they are going to continue to not give a shit about your "working professional" ass!

LOL... Well I'm not surprised by your comments. Yes, I had the audacity to post something called the ugly truth. As for how "troubled" youth turned into thugs, simple. "Troubled" is the sugar coated term the politicians like to use when they really want to call them thugs. They just know they'd face a firestorm if they actually used the word they really want to use. The only politician that has had the balls to use the term so far that I recall recently was French president Nicolas Sarkozy. :cool: :tup: He's repeteadly referred to the troubled youth in France as "thugs". We need another Giuliani, a mayor who tackled crime and rampid welfare and waste of taxpayer dollars and got results. This Bloomberg is nothing more than a character with too much money. Since he's so generous these days, we should be overtaxing folks like him.

Yeah, I like that argument.... "Would" help... Very questionable that $67 million over 3 years won't be squandered. The problem is too few vocal folks holding these politicians accountable for their reckless spending.

LOL... Well I'm not surprised by your comments. Yes, I had the audacity to post something called the ugly truth. As for how "troubled" youth turned into thugs, simple. "Troubled" is the sugar coated term the politicians like to use when they really want to call them thugs. They just know they'd face a firestorm if they actually used the word they really want to use. The only politician that has had the balls to use the term so far that I recall recently was French president Nicolas Sarkozy. :cool: :tup: He's repeteadly referred to the troubled youth in France as "thugs". We need another Giuliani, a mayor who tackled crime and rampid welfare and waste of taxpayer dollars and got results. This Bloomberg is nothing more than a character with too much money. Since he's so generous these days, we should be overtaxing folks like him.

My point is that not all "troubled" people are thugs. So why generalize?

Then here we go again in bold!!! I love that one!

"Would" help what... the hell are you talkin about....

no program is guaranteed to solve a problem that plagues certain communities moreso than others..... Even if this particular one did, you'd still have a problem with it....

all of a sudden, me using the word would is the issue here.... yeah, aight....

My point is that not all "troubled" people are thugs. So why generalize?

"but the ethnicity of the people aren't important"

"Would" help what... the hell are you talkin about....

no program is guaranteed to solve a societal problem in a certain community..... all of a sudden, me using the word would is the issue here yeah, aight....

That's more like it... That whole would argument is far too optimistic.

"but the ethnicity of the people aren't important"

Why would it be? "Troubled" people of all walks of life have and are referred to as thugs.

That's more like it... That whole would argument is far too optimistic.

damn the that's more like it....

Call it far too optimistic if you'd like.... but it isn't anymore so than the blatant pessimism you continue to show you have for troubled minorities..... or for the matter, minorities in general.....

Why would it be? "Troubled" people of all walks of life have and are referred to as thugs.

Yeah, but the troubled doesn't automatically = thug

Ignoring the rest of your endless bs...

What rock did you live under during his term?

He did nothing for crime besides riding the wave of Kelly's and Bratton's success, his welfare technique was he tried to throw the homeless in jail, and he left New York in a state where it's still on damage control. Not to mention he was a compulsive liar and a racist crook with mob ties...

Jesus, you're a living stereotype...

Yeah, people love to ignore the truth... ;)

As for Giuliani, he did wonders for this city. He helped to start the clean up of the then drug infested 42nd street and helped to shape it into the tourist mecca and economic factor that it has become today. He took a city that was run to ruins by Dinkins and made it respectable again and gave hard working New Yorkers a feeling of living in a city once again that finally became civilized rather than the zoo that it was under Dinkins, with rampid crime and a poor economy to boot. :cool: :tup:

P.S. You're a living stereotypical liberal. B) It's funny that folks like me are supposed to be nut jobs yet there's a bunch of folks like me here on Staten Island and we have the lowest crime rates of all of the boroughs even with the cluster of housing projects on the North Shore and have the highest median incomes out of the five boroughs, including Manhattan. Guess we're not clueless afterall... :cool:

No they haven't. I was never called a thug in my life. I was indeed a troubled boy growing up. But I didn't hustle on the street. I didn't live the thug live. I was just severely under-spoken, picked on and isolated from my peers. I had issues in my household with my mother barely existent in my life and nobody wanting to tell me why. I won't get started on my dad. Non-Existent should say enough. Money was barely there even though the abled bodies in my house either worked or had public assistance.

There are plenty of kids in the projects or hell even in better established neighborhoods who have issues at home (abuse, neglect...keep going) and don't carry on like hoodlums that simply could use someone reaching out to them. Just what are we defining as troubled here? I'm really curious. If I didn't have the ones around who cared enough about me I'd have gone the wrong way.

No they haven't. I was never called a thug in my life. I was indeed a troubled boy growing up. But I didn't hustle on the street. I didn't live the thug live. I was just severely under-spoken, picked on and isolated from my peers. I had issues in my household with my mother barely existent in my life and nobody wanting to tell me why. I won't get started on my dad. Non-Existent should say enough. Money was barely there even though the abled bodies in my house either worked or had public assistance.

There are plenty of kids in the projects or hell even in better established neighborhoods who have issues at home (abuse, neglect...keep going) and don't carry on like hoodlums that simply could use someone reaching out to them. Just what are we defining as troubled here? I'm really curious. If I didn't have the ones around who cared enough about me I'd have gone the wrong way.

You'll have to ask the politicians that question...

That's completely wrong. National crimes fell in general during his tenure, Dinkins's commissioner Ray Kelly's work helped lower crime rates, and Bill Bratton's work helped lower the rates too. It wasn't run to ruins by any measure, and giving Giuliani credit for Dinkins's police commissioner is just ignorant. Dinkins's tenure was nothing like how you describe it, and to blame him for the situation he was elected into makes just as much sense as crediting Giuliani with magically fixing New York.

No, you're not a nut job, you're just another Staten Island Italian Republican. You love Giuliani, appreciate Italian values, are fiscally conservative, and mildly socially conservative. I could pin your type to a tee on the Italian Staten Islanders out there.

And really? We're going into a borough war? I don't even have the energy for that. Your Staten Island superiority claim is rubbish.

lol... Really? I love Giuliani?? Not exactly. His presidential run was a joke re-living 9/11 over and over isn't my idea of a campaign... As for your Republican charges, you're also wrong... I stated before that I've voted for more Democrats than Republicans. If anything I've voted for more third party candidates. I'm a real Independent not some closeted liberal or Democrat like you. :(

As for the "borough war" that wasn't my point at all. The point was that we can't be too crazy when we have the lowest crime rates and the highest median incomes even higher than you liberals in Manhattan. lol

Archived