Port Authority plans $4 toll hike next month on bridges and tunnels

Sunday morning I could swear I heard on CBS 880 or 1010 WINS that the guvs of NY & NJ vetoed, or will veto(?), these ob$cene toll hikes. Anyone know if Cuomo & Christie did the right thing?

Given the ab$urd fare & toll hikes in NYC & region, which will NEVER END, & the way most things are criminally overpriced in the greatest shitty in the world in general, maybe we should all heed the advice:

"Go west young man. GO WEST!"

Anyone else see a 2020 Outerbridge ca$h toll of $30.00?

They don't have gaps in service, but it's still hard to get from Poughkeepsie down to Southeast Queens by transit. He would have to take (relatively infrequent) Metro-North to Grand Central, take the (6) train to 51st Street, take the (E) train to Jamaica, and then take another bus to his destination.

I didn't realize you're 22. By the way you typed, I thought you were a teenager. Seriously, I'm not being mean: In order to be taken seriously, you have to present your ideas in a coherent manner (though I'll give you credit in improving with that lately)

They're increasing the tolls as well, so there isn't going to be any shift from PATH to the tunnels. In any case, the tolls would still be subsidizing the PATH.

The problem is that they took down the booths for the VZ Bridge. With EZ-Pass, I don't see how the toll booths really slow traffic down. If anything, it's good to have the traffic slow down a bit to avoid accidents, since the highway becomes very wide because of the two levels.

Everything else I agree with except that I think the congestion pricing fee is too high. I support a high fee, but I think $25 is a bit much, even during rush hours.

In any case, I think congestion pricing was a no-brainer. And the people who truly needed to pass through Manhattan (traveling between NJ and the outer boroughs) wouldn't see a single cent increase, since the congestion pricing fee would be subtracted from the tolls.

Actually, the Port Authority is involved with NJT and Amtrak, since they cross state lines. I don't know if they share any revenue, but routes that cross state lines require Port Authority approval.

You do realize trailways and shortline have direct bus service to SE queens via white plains. From poughkeepsie it's easy use ulster-poughkeepsie link to new paltz then use a direct to LI bus from there I believe there are 3 departures to queens from new paltz. However for more choice you can use metro-north to white plains and get shortline and trailways their combined frequency is about 90 mins alternating I believe. I know I did it before you can use Q77 to Q27 to get to the intercity bus stop at springfield and hillside for trailways and shortline. However I was able to flag a shortline bus on hillside by clearview expressway away from an official bus stop. However If q27 was extended via francis lewis to green acres it can indirectly impact shortline/trailways ridership and even increase it by making it easier to reach the regional bus from SE queens. Meaning getting to white plains would become a 2 bus commute rather than Q77 to Q27 then shortline. It's one of those unknown bus lines surprisingly ppl use it well.

You've repated this 2x............

I hope you know that, the (7) cant just go to Jersey like that.. Port Authority will have to get into this as well.

Keep the (7) at 34th.. You already got PATH and Northeast Corridor doing all the work.. Even Ferries & Buses.

Adding the (7) would cost money and it all depends on towns and etc... Who knows if people from Jersey would want hood rats coming from Manhattan to get a ride str8 to Jersey thru the Subway... Not saying it would happen, but who knows...

And why add the (7) anyways? You the Amtrak Gateway Project already coming to help fix headways / commute along the Hudson Tunnels on the NEC.

Nexis4Jersey

Where have I been? I've been paying attention. None of those ongoing, already funded PATH projects you listed were cited as reasons for the toll and fare increases. I'm just basing my argument on the facts stated in the article. You can feel free to make up your own as you wish.

As far as "keeping the systems within there (sp) boundaries", they have no boundaries ... other than those fictitiously imposed upon them by political agreement ... the most gossamer of all. When Bloomberg speculated about running the 7 train over to Lautenberg Station, he understood that it could effectively serve the same purpose as the ARC project without building the equivalent of a skyscraper under midtown. And Christie's response was that it would be great for New Jerseyans to finally have access to the east side. From the standpoint of the public served, it would be anything but a "wasteful project". Quite the contrary in fact, it could effectively do exactly what the underground skyscraper would do... better, in fact - which is to distribute commuters across the Manhattan subway lines - at a fifth of the cost. That's not wasteful - that's a bargain!

And no, the PATH doesn't "need to stay separate from the MTA". I guess my argument on population density and mass-transit decisions based on regional needs is lost on you.

And the last time I looked up the definition of "subway" ... well ... I suggest you look it up yourself.

@ checkmatechamp13

NO ... the Port Authority has NO authority over Amtrak. The Port Authority is simply a bi-State political concoction between New York and New Jersey, and it has NO power whatsoever other than that which those two States invest in it. Metro North travels interstate into Connecticut and runs routes through New Jersey to Port Jervis, and there is no separate quasi-governmental interstate authority that governs its movement either. Likewise NJ Transit trains, which are completely independent of it.

In short, there is no reason whatsoever that the PATH subway system cannot become a "C" division of the MTA - and there are lots of very good reasons that it should, not the least of which is that it would be the quickest and cheapest way to connect Staten Island to the rest of the boroughs by commuter train.

The PA Police, Road Work, Airtrains, Airports, Shipping Ports and PATH has NOTHING TO DO with this fare hikes, again I don't know where y'all are going to, but this is all because of the Port Authority is using our cash to fund the World Trade Center project. In my opinion, they should just build a more simple station with an underground retail mall while retaining the original exterior design but using cheaper but equally durable and enviornmentally safe materials. Also, tower 2 & 3 should be trimmed down to match tower 4. I understand there are funding difficulties but still they should trim down on those two structures.

These tolls and outrageous fares are really way too expensive and I stand affirmed I oppose any congestion pricing that is above $10 for a standard vehicle per day. I also strongly believe that the FDR, West Side Highway and any streets above 57th St. should not be considered in the Congesting Pricing scheme.

its called don't drive. you drivers do nothing but bunch up our roads and cause jams seriously there is no excuse. NO ONE except trucks and cabs and company vehicles should drive into manhattan period!!!!!!!!

its called don't drive. you drivers do nothing but bunch up our roads and cause jams seriously there is no excuse. NO ONE except trucks and cabs and company vehicles should drive into manhattan period!!!!!!!!

That's your big plan....to tell people "Don't Drive!"

That's really gonna work....the only way more people are gonna get out of their cars and onto mass transit if it's convenient for them. And with the cuts the (MTA) and other companies have made, it's not.

Face it, there are some people who HAVE to drive in Manhattan and they shouldn't be taxed further for that requirement.

That's really gonna work....the only way more people are gonna get out of their cars and onto mass transit if it's convenient for them. And with the cuts the (MTA) and other companies have made, it's not.

Face it, there are some people who HAVE to drive in Manhattan and they shouldn't be taxed further for that requirement.

BZ Guy just keep in mind this young man trainmaster has this agenda that everyone in America uses mass transit. You should read his bus ideas in the MTA Bus thread lol.

I also I am car owner and i think the fairest solution(assuming the state/city of NY does not steal it)is congestion pricing during rush hours for single drivers to get to/from Manhattan between 59th and South Ferry. Of course the fee (aka free)should be waived for 1)2 or more drivers 2)Using the FDR Drive for through traffic and not entering CBD zone of Midtown or Lower Manhattan 3)Current FDNY/NYPD/EMS officers for work purposes only. (Would not apply for staff of City Council Members, etc.)

100% of monies collected from congestion pricing would go to either mass transit or bridge/tunnel upgrades. That what i think.

I agree with Shortlinebus about car country.

Qtrainjmaster:

For example, on Thanksgiving and Christmas day, there are no Bee-Line buses running, so Westchester County is like car country on these holidays if they live nowhere near train station or BxM3 stop.

In order to get to nearby MTA BxM3 bus stop in Yonkers/Ludlow or MTA Metro-North Railroad stations, only option is to drive a car, rent a car, call taxi companies.

You are right to a certain degree but it's never convenient to drive into manhattan unless it's late night.

BZ Guy just keep in mind this young man trainmaster has this agenda that everyone in America uses mass transit. You should read his bus ideas in the MTA Bus thread lol.

I also I am car owner and i think the fairest solution(assuming the state/city of NY does not steal it)is congestion pricing during rush hours for single drivers to get to/from Manhattan between 59th and South Ferry. Of course the fee (aka free)should be waived for 1)2 or more drivers 2)Using the FDR Drive for through traffic and not entering CBD zone of Midtown or Lower Manhattan 3)Current FDNY/NYPD/EMS officers for work purposes only. (Would not apply for staff of City Council Members, etc.)

100% of monies collected from congestion pricing would go to either mass transit or bridge/tunnel upgrades. That what i think.

not exactly I have visited some places in america that won't support mass transit. I agree with the fair congestion pricing though.

I think the bee-line should run a weekday schedule for christmas and thanksgiving due to enhanced metro-north service so bus lines will have to be adjusted I think gov't just is out of touch with ppl's travel patterns hence why ppl drive but westchester can create a better system together with putnam that can make transit usable for almost anyone there. I will start a new thread on it I identified weak points and ways to correct it and traffic patterns as well.

My ideas are webs linked and deeply embedded into a backbone of a system therefore most of em if implemented will have a ripple effect on multiple routes at once cause of my interest in connectivity that is my favorite theme.

I agree with Shortlinebus about car country.

Qtrainjmaster:

For example, on Thanksgiving and Christmas day, there are no Bee-Line buses running, so Westchester County is like car country on these holidays if they live nowhere near train station or BxM3 stop.

In order to get to nearby MTA BxM3 bus stop in Yonkers/Ludlow or MTA Metro-North Railroad stations, only option is to drive a car, rent a car, call taxi companies.

that needs to change!!!!!!!!!! I scolded beeline for that with email comments at their hearing

that needs to change!!!!!!!!!! I scolded beeline for that with email comments at their hearing

I agree that Beeline should run on Thanksgiving and X-Mas. With that said, Beeline should run a special reduced Sunday/Holiday schedule with all buses running every 30-60 minutes until 9pm only.Only the Bee Line's the busiest routes i.e Routes 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 13, 14, 20, 40, 42 and 60 would be fine and a compromise to still give most of the drivers/staff the day off.

There no need for weekday service on Thanksgiving and Christmas as even NYCT and (MTA) network such as LIRR and Metro North runs on a Sunday schedule.

Of course with that Sunday schedule, expanded service is created for few hours on those holidays such as the Thanksgiving Parade and the Times Sq New Years celebration on nearby subway and LIRR/Metro North lines.

Not to mention the #1 and #2 between Getty Sq and 242nd Street (1) station, the #20 between Bedford Park and White Plains the #42 between 241st (2) station and New Rochelle and the #7 between New Rochelle and Yonkers should run 24/7.

:cool:

I agree that Beeline should run on Thanksgiving and X-Mas. With that said, Beeline should run a special reduced Sunday/Holiday schedule with all buses running every 30-60 minutes until 9pm only.Only the Bee Line's the busiest routes i.e Routes 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 13, 14, 20, 40, 42 and 60 would be fine and a compromise to still give most of the drivers/staff the day off.

There no need for weekday service on Thanksgiving and Christmas as even NYCT and (MTA) network such as LIRR and Metro North runs on a Sunday schedule.

Of course with that Sunday schedule, expanded service is created for few hours on those holidays such as the Thanksgiving Parade and the Times Sq New Years celebration on nearby subway and LIRR/Metro North lines.

Not to mention the #1 and #2 between Getty Sq and 242nd Street (1) station, the #20 between Bedford Park and White Plains the #42 between 241st (2) station and New Rochelle and the #7 between New Rochelle and Yonkers should run 24/7.

In my proposal 42 becomes a regional rte BUT after 11PM reverts to original form. But during the day it replaces the 62's nonstop portion and replaces 77 but with open-door service and an additional off peak stop or maybe not. It will devour PART 5. While 16 devours PART 1 thus enhancing rte 6 corridor sort of. Forcing 16 to travel full rte. 76 to peekskill via armonk and I684 and crompond eliminating the 12 there is no need for direct SUNY to white plains service. The dutchess plan will be loved by LOOP and it's ppl it takes pressure off of them.

:cool:In my proposal 42 becomes a regional rte BUT after 11PM reverts to original form. But during the day it replaces the 62's nonstop portion and replaces 77 but with open-door service and an additional off peak stop or maybe not. It will devour PART 5. While 16 devours PART 1 thus enhancing rte 6 corridor sort of. Forcing 16 to travel full rte. 76 to peekskill via armonk and I684 and crompond eliminating the 12 there is no need for direct SUNY to white plains service. The dutchess plan will be loved by LOOP and it's ppl it takes pressure off of them.

Man your plan becomes more confusing than Einstein's theory of relavity again dj transitmaster lol.:confused:

Seriously just create a thread here in regional transit on that idea. Let's return to regular schedule programming on the PA tolls being raised.:eek:

Man your plan becomes more confusing than Einstein's theory of relavity again dj transitmaster lol.:confused:

Seriously just create a thread here in regional transit on that idea. Let's return to regular schedule programming on the PA tolls being raised.:eek:

I know I had to simplify my ideas at the hearings as they had no idea what I was talking about I was answering more questions than asking.

It will take time but once you fully understand it you will know why it would work but it's deeply embedded so I understand it is too much to understand in the first plus I would be typing forever explaining all the benefits.

Thanks for update. However please cutdown on the FONT SIZE. It gave me a headache.:eek:

Here's the full list of the hearing locations/times: http://www.panynj.gov/about/toll-fare-2011.html

It would be nice if they didn't hold the hearing in the middle of nowhere, at a time when everybody is going to work. Shows you how much they value our input. :mad:

Archived